HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:09 PM

I should probably recognize the building on the beach which can be seen through the end panel - it's gone now.

Do you mean the Thelma Todd Sidewalk Cafe? Now that is Noirish! If that is what you are referring to, it is still there, although apparently being refurbished.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 11:17 PM

Thanks, oldstuff, but this is the building I was talking about.

Getty Research Institute

Here's how it looked in 1979, nearly below the Getty Villa. I've arrowed the site of the Spencer House on the right. It was gone by the mid-80s.

Detail of picture from www.californiacoastline.org

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 1:23 AM

Last edited by Tourmaline; Apr 5, 2017 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The beach-side homes along that curve are gone too (a few show in the background above). Somewhere on the thread there's a picture of that area when it was quite built up. There's nothing now until one gets to Ocean Club, on the point.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 4:39 AM

I believe this photograph is new to NLA.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8bf8c41dbf.jpg

"Carrier boys from the Herald-Express posed in front of the Beverly Canon Theater after they saw a special showing of the motion picture, "Kon-Tiki,"
as guests of producer Sol Lesser and the manager of the theater, July 20, 1958."

The theater was located at 205 North Canon Drive in Beverly Hills, but was demolished in 2005.

Larry Underhill

and this is interesting:

The Beverly Canon Theater opened as the Hitching Post in 1946, the third in a chain of three theater devoted to westerns.

Here is the Hitching Post on Hollywood Blvd. in 1948.

http://hollywoodphotographs.com/deta...?c=43&i=1&r=96

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...-pZYvJKia7wbM:

I couldn't find a photograph of the Beverly Canon when it was the Hitching Post. (and I don't know where the third Hitching Post was located)
__

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
I don't know about the brass foundry, e_r, but this is identified as probably the 1894 La Fiesta Parade, which had
a Mt. Lowe float. This photo looks north on Hill Street toward Fifth Street. Hazard's Pavilion is on the left, with the
Rose Mansion up behind it:

487143 @ HDL
This is a fantastic find Flyingwedge. Thanks so much!

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 5, 2017 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 4:55 AM

From the 'mystery' photo from last night.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=40977

i just noticed a portion of a sign that's visible behind the r.r. sign.

detail

At first glance i thought it was pointing toward a garage, but now I believe it's pointing toward cold storage.
_

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 5:29 AM
BANNED

I believe this photo is new to NLA.

JK.....Its actually my mom. She was born in 1921, so she must have been about 4 or 5 in this photo. They lived in Hollywood at that time.

personal cd file

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 6:10 AM

Your mom was lovely her whole life CBD. I've really enjoyed your family pix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
From the 'mystery' photo from last night.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=40977

i just noticed a portion of a sign that's visible behind the r.r. sign.

detail

At first glance i thought it was pointing toward a garage, but now I believe it's pointing toward cold storage.
_
"Jericho Cold Storage". I thought I'd find it right away, but......no.

No luck w/ "Apex Produce" either.

wilshiremoviepalaces

"This is evidently the only surviving look at the theatre with its original Hitching Post signage. It was taken at the 1946 grandopening, where Roy Rogers rode up to the theatre on Trigger. The December 7, 1946 issue of Boxoffice magazine had an article on the opening where they noted that this venue was the fifth under the Hitching post name..."

The site above suggests that besides this one and the one in Hollywood, there were others in Santa Monica, Long Beach and Pasadena.

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 5, 2017 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:

'mystery' location

"Industrial Los Angeles" [c.1985]

from an old file of mine dated 2008
Quote:

I just noticed a portion of a sign that's visible behind the r.r. sign.

detail
I actually found a likely location on Historic Aerials, and then tried to prove it! The 1987 CD lists the Apex Wholesale Produce Co at 1580 Jesse Street. Armed with this information,
I think the Apex sign behind the railroad crossing may have a Jesse Street address, but I can't read the number. That means we're looking east from near S Santa Fe Avenue. Here's
a 1980 view, which is slightly earlier than e_r's photo. The empty lot on the far left of e_r's photo is still occupied and the rail spur is clearly visible.

Historic Aerials

The large, off-white building on Mesquit Street has gone, but the new one still belongs to Rancho Cold Storage.

GSV

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Your mom was lovely her whole life CBD. I've really enjoyed your family pix.

"Jericho Cold Storage". I thought I'd find it right away, but......no.

No luck w/ "Apex Produce" either.

wilshiremoviepalaces

"This is evidently the only surviving look at the theatre with its original Hitching Post signage. It was taken at the 1946 grandopening, where Roy Rogers rode up to the theatre on Trigger. The December 7, 1946 issue of Boxoffice magazine had an article on the opening where they noted that this venue was the fifth under the Hitching post name..."

The site above suggests that besides this one and the one in Hollywood, there were others in Santa Monica, Long Beach and Pasadena.
The one in Santa Monica, on 2nd Street, eventually became a Pussycat Theater. I don't think Roy Rogers was invited to that opening. Trigger, maybe.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
The one in Santa Monica, on 2nd Street, eventually became a Pussycat Theater. I don't think Roy Rogers was invited to that opening. Trigger, maybe.
Wilshire Movie Palaces claims that the Hitching Post, Santa Monica was at:

"1448 4th St.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Opened: In the mid 40s by ABC Theatres, one of three theatres eventually opened under the Hitching Post name. Their other theatres were in Hollywood (later the Paris) and Beverly Hills (later the Beverly Canon)".

Not the one on 2nd street, next door to the Rapp Tavern.

Thank you Hoss for finding Rancho Cold Storage. No wonder I couldn't find "Jericho"!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 7:00 PM

Thanks for all the follow-ups on the Spencer House, and belated thanks to tovangar2 for the information about erosion at Malibu Colony Beach.

-------------

Here's a mystery Julius Shulman location. I'm not even sure whether it's in Los Angeles - the only clue is the summary in the description which says "Shulman note: Trousdale." Could that refer to Trousdale Estates in Beverly Hills? The terrain looks about right. This is "Job 2925: Kanner and Mayer, Ash House, 1960".

A close-up of the entrance.

There's a pool at the back, without any close neighbors to overlook the swimmers. I wonder if that's a barbecue built into the wide chimney.

A look along the back.

There's a regular fireplace on the inside of the chimney. I wish the view was clearer to help identify the location.

This is the only other interior view. I'm guessing that it's part of the bedroom.

All from Getty Research Institute

So, does anyone recognize the house?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 9:08 PM

I don't.

I know Stephen Kanner for his building over the Hollywood/Western Metro stop and his two personal favorites, the In-n-Out Burger in Westwood and his United Oil Station at Slauson and La Brea. The latter was completed in 2009, shortly before Kanner's death:

gsv

archdaily

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Wilshire Movie Palaces claims that the Hitching Post, Santa Monica was at:

"1448 4th St.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Opened: In the mid 40s by ABC Theatres, one of three theatres eventually opened under the Hitching Post name. Their other theatres were in Hollywood (later the Paris) and Beverly Hills (later the Beverly Canon)".

Not the one on 2nd street, next door to the Rapp Tavern.

Obviously there's some confusion.

"The Pussycat Theater History" reported in the San Diego Reader in 2010 identifies the Hitching Post as having been on Second Street...

Author Jay Alan Sandford writes:

"The Santa Monica Pussycat at 1442 Second Street was once known as the Hitching Post Theater. It became a Pussycat in late 1970, the thirteenth ‘Cathouse in the chain."

(By the way, this article is pretty interesting.)

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblog...tory-of-a-cal/

UPDATE: Further checking seems to establish that the Hitching Post was indeed on 4th, though many have confused it with the Pussycat on 2nd.

If that's all true, I wonder if the 2nd St. space was a legitimate movie house before it became a Pussycat Theater.

Last edited by Blaster; Apr 5, 2017 at 9:56 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 9:49 PM

Hotel Brevoort

Another tidbit from the "early-days-of-Hollywood" file.

While admiring a circa 1939 postcard of Hollywood's Hotel Brevoort "and tropical gardens" on Lexington Avenue near Vine (Vine and Santa Monica vicinity), I came across another forgotten name from the Silent Era: Monroe Salisbury.

Hotel Brevoort, circa 1939/1940
https://i1.wp.com/www.martinturnbull...7/brevoort.jpg

Monroe Salisbury
wikimedia

Salisbury, born "Orange Cash" (!), was an East Coast "matinee idol" who started appearing in movies in 1914, did well enough at Universal Studios to purchase a citrus ranch near Hemet, and around 1920 was living with his mother at The Mountain View Inn on Hollywood Blvd. The Mountain View was located between Gower and Bronson, next to a small thoroughfare called Brokaw Place, which no longer exists.

The Mountain View Inn, Hollywood Blvd. about 1930
lacurbed.com

His movie career over by 1930, he was a resident at the Warner-Kelton Hotel (called in one newspaper article the Walton-Kelton), built in 1927 at 6326 Lexington Avenue, owned by comedic actress Pert Kelton (unable to find where the "Warner" or "Walton" comes in), which became the Brevoort sometime in the 1930's. Many actors, mostly small-time, lived at the hotel. One example from 1928 was George Chandler, who became one of the most recognizable character actors of the 1940's through the 70's, usually playing "kindly-or-crusty uncle" types. 50's TV Star Robert "Bob" Cummings lived there for a time in 1944 (his marriage was ending). The hotel had a rear garden and wishing well. Legend has it that the wishing well may have inspired a delightful 1936 Rogers and Hart song, "There's a Small Hotel, With a Wishing Well," although other sources site small hotels with wishing wells in New Jersey and Montecito, Ca. as being the song's inspiration.

George Chandler
ebay/historicimages

Pert Kelton, about 1942
wikipedia

In the summer of 1935, Monroe Salisbury, occupation listed as "hotel clerk," was admitted to Patton State Hospital, a mental institution near San Bernardino. One month later he had a "bad fall" (possibly suspicious?) and died of a fractured skull. Salisbury was buried alongside his mother at Rosedale Cemetery on Washington Blvd. Rest in peace, Monroe.

The Hotel Brevoort is also known as one of the first of several addresses where Elizabeth Short, "The Black Dahlia," lived during her time in Hollywood. She stayed there with a boyfriend, Gordon Fickling, for approximately a week in 1946. The author of the exhaustively-researched "The Black Dahlia in Hollywood" website says that Beth Short stayed at the Sunset Motel before her appearance at The Brevoort. Could this be the Sunset Auto Court, shown here in NLA a couple of years ago?

Elizabeth Short
blackdahliainhollywood.com

Sunset Auto Court, 5154 Sunset, 1940's
noirishlosangeles/foundimage
(Sorry, couldn't find source of this photo I saved...please let me know)

Recent photos show the run-down looking Brevoort still with its "hotel" sign out front, although I don't find references to it online as a working hotel or apartment building. Perhaps someone here knows the answer. It is listed at a City of Los Angeles site as "rooming house/apartment hotel/transient lodging." On a facebook blog discussing the hotel, a writer says (paraphrased) "I lived here for a few months around 2000...incredible energy...dripping with the past...it was full of vagabonds and being run by a ...very old, angry, forgotten film actor from the 40's or 50's."

Hotel Brevoort today
apartments.com

View from 2nd floor balcony, Hotel Brevoort
flickr.com

Robert Cummings & Betty Field (wearing eerie mask) in "Flesh And Fantasy" 1943
ebay

Robert Cummings and co-star Priscilla Lane in Hitchcock's "Saboteur," 1942
pinterest

Last edited by JeffDiego; Jun 21, 2017 at 7:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 10:13 PM

I had to find the angle. This is what I got. I hope i added to this thread.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post

... One example from 1928 was George Chandler, who became one of the most recognizable character actors of the 1940's through the 70's, usually playing "kindly-or-crusty uncle" types.

George Chandler
ebay/historicimages
I knew George Chandler looked familiar, but it took me a while to remember where from. Here he is as a kindly DMV clerk in one of his last films, 'Every Which Way But Loose'. He played the scene opposite Ruth Gordon.

Warner Bros

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 10:51 PM

Brevoort Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post

Hotel Brevoort, circa 1939/1940
martinturnbull.com/hollywoodplaces

Recent photos show the run-down looking Brevoort still with its "hotel" sign out front, although I don't find references to it online as a working hotel or apartment building. Perhaps someone here knows the answer. It is listed at a City of Los Angeles site as "rooming house/apartment hotel/transient lodging." On a facebook blog discussing the hotel, a writer says (paraphrased) "I lived here for a few months around 2000...incredible energy...dripping with the past...it was full of vagabonds and being run by a ...very old, angry, forgotten film actor from the 40's or 50's."

Hotel Brevoort today
apartments.com

View from 2nd floor balcony, Hotel Brevoort
flickr.com
I'm not sure what goes on behind the 1927 Brevoort. Do they still offer "Cabanas En El Jardin Tropical"?

flickr

"If you followed that dream, tried to find it on the map, you might find yourself, in the '50s, living near the corner of Lexington and Vine, in an old Spanish-style hotel, the Brevoort--three stories, maybe 36 rooms, a two-story lobby with a Spanish "tapestry" painted right onto a wall. The Brevoort had seen better days in the '20s, when Gary Cooper (it was said) had taken lady friends to several of the tiny bungalows out back, and swum in the Brevoort's walled plunge."
- LAT

gsv

google maps

Pretty building. No architect listed on the permit.

Excellent PicoDeGallo. That's it.

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 6, 2017 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I actually found a likely location on Historic Aerials, and then tried to prove it!

The 1987 CD lists the Apex Wholesale Produce Co at 1580 Jesse Street. Armed with this information,
I think the Apex sign behind the railroad crossing may have a Jesse Street address, but I can't read the number.
That means we're looking east from near S Santa Fe Avenue. Here's a 1980 view, which is slightly earlier than e_r's photo.

Historic Aerials
That's some mighty fine sleuthing Hoss! Thanks for solving the mystery.

Here are a couple more 'mysteries' from 1985.

emd, flickr1 1985

They must be in the process of ripping out a set of tracks................................................

Here's a closer look at the ghost signs (they're a bit difficult read)

detail

emb, flickr2 1985

Welcome to the thread PicoDeGallo!

__

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos