HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
"Silly wabbit."

Yes, that's the Laugh In stage. This was during the Vietnam war. Wayne was spoofing his macho image in 1972. Wayne appeared several times on the show. In 1971 he appeared with Tiny Tim to celebrate the 100th episode.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Oct 17, 2020 at 4:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 10:25 PM

This is a fascinating photograph of a trolley with porthole windows. (we have seen a trolley like this on NLA but this photograph is new to NLA)

eBay (no longer listed)

La Jolla and San Diego Motor Car................I believe the man holding a suitcase is looking at the Pacific Ocean. - - - >

If you look closely Los Angeles is painted on the side.

detail

Los Angeles and San Diego(?) RY.

At first I was confused Ramona's Home was one of the train stops but then I remembered that two different locations claim to be the home of Ramona.

One is Rancho Camulos (in Ventura County) and the other is Rancho Guajome (in San Diego County). This trolley is obviously going to the Rancho Guajome location.

hmmm. . .there was also a rail-line to the Ventura County location.

RE: Rancho Camulos

"The 1887 completion of the Southern Pacific line increased the number of visitors, as the railroad featured the Camulos Ranch in its advertisements
in order to distinguish the line from its competitors. Tourists continued to arrive even after the SP relocated its main line in 1903
through the Santa Susana Pass, by passing Camulos. Two daily trains made stops at Camulos until the service was discontinued in the 1940s."

Since Ramona is a fictional character I doubt either one is her home.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 17, 2020 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 11:51 PM

Getty/Ed Ruscha

Sunset/Alvarado 1966....some may decry the abundant signage as an eyesore but here I think it looks great, particularly the Barbara Ann Bread neon.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
This is a fascinating photograph of a trolley with porthole windows. (we have seen a trolley like this on NLA but this photograph is new to NLA)

eBay (no longer listed)

La Jolla and San Diego Motor Car................I believe the man holding a suitcase is looking at the Pacific Ocean. - - - >

If you look closely Los Angeles is painted on the side.

detail

Los Angeles and San Diego(?) RY.

At first I was confused Ramona's Home was one of the train stops but then I remembered that two different locations claim to be the home of Ramona.

One is Rancho Camulos (in Ventura County) and the other is Rancho Guajome (in San Diego County). This trolley is obviously going to the Rancho Guajome location.

hmmm. . .there was also a rail-line to the Ventura County location.

RE: Rancho Camulos

"The 1887 completion of the Southern Pacific line increased the number of visitors, as the railroad featured the Camulos Ranch in its advertisements
in order to distinguish the line from its competitors. Tourists continued to arrive even after the SP relocated its main line in 1903
through the Santa Susana Pass, by passing Camulos. Two daily trains made stops at Camulos until the service was discontinued in the 1940s."

Since Ramona is a fictional character I doubt either one is her home.

[Jerry Lewis nutty professor voice]: "Well, ackshully..."

The car isn't a trolley but rather a self-propelled railcar that used a distillate engine for power. See more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKeen_Motor_Car_Company

The LA&SDBRy ran between Old Town San Diego and La Jolla until 1914:
http://thewebsters.us/2017/03/23/ele...o-the-beaches/

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

[Jerry Lewis nutty professor voice]: "Well, ackshully..."

The car isn't a trolley but rather a self-propelled railcar that used a distillate engine for power. See more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKeen_Motor_Car_Company

http://thewebsters.us/2017/03/23/ele...o-the-beaches/
Train looks like an early attempt at streamlining. To quote Mr. Spock, "fascinating". The Ramona story was complete fiction, wasn't it (book by Helen Hunt Jackson), or was it based on a true story? I guess I can go to Wikipedia to find out. And while we discuss famous lovers, was there actually a Romeo & Juliet? I kind of want to say yes, since you can visit their houses in Verona. But cynics would say these are made up tourist bait. I live fairly close to Rancho Gaujome. In the book I believe Ramona's love lived about 30 miles away in Temecula. To further confuse matters, the annual Ramona Pageant is many miles north in Hemet but closed due to covid.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 18, 2020 at 7:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Yes, that's the Laugh In stage. This was during the Vietnam war. Wayne was spoofing his macho image in 1972. Wayne appeared several times on the show. In 1971 he appeared with Tiny Tim to celebrate the 100th episode.
Laugh In's best ratings years were 1968-1970. It straggled along until 1972 or '73 (?). John Wayne appeared definitely in the later stages. It tried to have a hippie era irreverence that faded as the 1960s gave way to the '70s. I wonder how many people here don't know who Tiny Tim was or saw him sing "Tiptoe Through the Tulips With Me"? A man on his own less trodden and unusual path in life. No doubt viewers said something like "Martha, I don't think we're in the '50s anymore". Tiny Tim was part of that shift. "The Graduate" was another. Of course the Beatles. "Do your own thing" ethos. Perhaps Wayne and Rowan & Martin for that matter looked at Tiny Tim and the whole hippie era as a funny freak show act, but went along with it to show they were hip. The biggest ratings ever on the Johnny Carson show was Tim's marriage to "Miss Vickie".

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 18, 2020 at 8:24 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 11:02 AM

Rowan and Martin's Laugh In

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Laugh In's best ratings years were 1968-1970. It straggled along until 1972 or '73 (?). John Wayne appeared definitely in the later stages. It tried to have a hippie era irreverence that faded as the 1960s gave way to the '70s. I wonder how many people here don't know who Tiny Tim was or saw him sing "Tiptoe Through the Tulips With Me"? A man on his own less trodden and unusual path in life. No doubt viewers said something like "Martha, I don't think we're in the '50s anymore". Tiny Tim was part of that shift. "The Graduate" was another. Of course the Beatles. "Do your own thing" ethos. Perhaps Wayne and Rowan & Martin for that matter looked at Tiny Tim and the whole hippie era as a funny freak show act, but went along with it to show they were hip. The biggest ratings ever on the Johnny Carson show was Tim's marriage to "Miss Vickie".
Rowan and Martin's Laugh In also made it over here in the UK in the late 1960s. Markedly different from the home grown offerings of the time and it had that mid/ late '60s flower power era vibe. It also brought Goldie Hawn wide UK recognition. Maybe we only got the early series (1968-9). I don't remember it showing into the 1970s. "The Graduate" made a huge impact over here too.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alester young View Post
Rowan and Martin's Laugh In also made it over here in the UK in the late 1960s. Markedly different from the home grown offerings of the time and it had that mid/ late '60s flower power era vibe. It also brought Goldie Hawn wide UK recognition. Maybe we only got the early series (1968-9). I don't remember it showing into the 1970s. "The Graduate" made a huge impact over here too.
Interesting. When I was younger I identified with Benjamin (Hoffman). As I get older, more neutral...Mrs. Robinson had her issues, but I can see her point of view. Like many 20 somethings, Ben was kind of a self-centered, confused & lazy heel anyway, floating in his parent's pool all day, meeting Mrs. Robinson at night, and dating her daughter Elaine at the same time. And all that stalking of Elaine up in Berkeley. Today Ben would be arrested. "Here's to you Mrs. Robinson".

To the other noirishers here, does Mrs. Robinson grow on you as you age? As sympathetic as villainous, as much a victim as a victimizer? I wonder what Ben and Elaine were thinking when they rode off in that bus after the broken wedding? A blend of happiness and "Oh sh*t what have we done?" would be my guess.

PS..I wonder if Ben went into the plastics biz?

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 19, 2020 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 6:51 PM

Charles Webb wrote a sequel to The Graduate called Home School. As I recall, a terribly written book, but Ben & Elaine stayed together, had some kids....

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 9:20 PM

..............................................................................................
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

The car isn't a trolley but rather a self-propelled railcar that used a distillate engine for power.

Thanks for the information, Henry.

Quote:
Train looks like an early attempt at streamlining.
Right you are, Calinative.

Here's another look at the railcar in the eBay photograph. (the one with the Ramona stop)

sdera.org

. . .and another La Jolla Line car in front of the Hotel Cabrillo.

I'm not sure if the hotel is/was located in La Jolla or in San Diego.

And. . . a glimpse inside the railcar.

It looks like something out of Flash Gordon!

Links coming / I accidentally closed all the pages.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 19, 2020 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:

. . .and another La Jolla Line car in front of the Hotel Cabrillo.

I'm not sure if the hotel is/was located in La Jolla or in San Diego.
The Hotel Cabrillo was in La Jolla. It opened in 1909, and survived in its original form until 1956. It was at that point that it was incorporated into the neighboring La Valencia Hotel. The building was remodeled (although it's still recognizable), painted pink, and renamed La Valencia West.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 8:36 PM

In researching another subject (Artesian wells), I ran across this 1887 article which I found interesting in several ways . . .

Los Angeles Times, May 11, 1887.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 9:00 PM

File under:... Mid-Century Design.

The Snack Shack at Zuma Beach, Malibu....1959

ARTNET

Phonographer - Joseph Fadler

It looks like Joe might have left his camera case in the field of vision - - - - >

I wonder what the box-like thingy is just inside the restroom entrance. There's an oval plaque above it with an arrow pointing down. (there's an identically shaped sign inside the snack shack)

Let's take a closer look at the lovely ladies.

detail

"Two cups of Adohr milk, please."

(or maybe the Adohr sign is for ice cream)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 20, 2020 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 9:31 PM

Do you remember the photograph of Sigourney Weaver enjoying a hotdog at Tail O' the Pup in 1978?

Here she is, fourteen years earlier, at the iconic Beatles concert at the Hollywood Bowl (1964).

gify

Just amazing!

She was only 15 years old.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Do you remember the photograph of Sigourney Weaver enjoying a hotdog at Tail O' the Pup in 1978?

Here she is, fourteen years earlier, at the iconic Beatles concert at the Hollywood Bowl (1964).

gify

Just amazing!

She was only 15 years old.

I'm not a lip reading expert, but it looks like Weaver is shouting "John!", her favorite Beatle? Most of the teenyboppers seemed to prefer Paul, at least the ones I rode with on the school bus to Walter Reed Jr. High in 1964. John came in 2, George 3 and Ringo got a very few sympathy votes. It always was between Paul and John for #1. The boppers said Paul was the "cutest" but he also wrote some really good, important and tuneful songs. John seemed rougher, but he wrote some very important songs. Many say John was the most important Beatle looking back. He got the group to evolve to the next level, and George got them to embrace the Indian music of Ravi.

John's haunting last song "Imagine", written shortly before his death, was his parting gift to us all. If she was shouting "John" as she seems to be, Sig had good sense.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 21, 2020 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 2:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not a lip reading expert, but it looks like Weaver is shouting "John!", her favorite Beatle? Most of the teenyboppers seemed to prefer Paul, at least the ones I rode with on the school bus to Walter Reed Jr. High in 1964. John came in 2, George 3 and Ringo got a very few sympathy votes. It always was between Paul and John. The boppers said Paul was the "cutest" but he also wrote some really good , important and tuneful songs. John seemed rougher, but he wrote some very important songs. Many say he was the most important Beatle looking back. He got the group to evolve to the next level, and George got them to embrace the Indian music of Ravi. John's last song "Imagine" written shortly before his death is his gift to us all. If she was shouting "John" as she seems to be, Sig had good sense.
My sister liked Ringo! She became a veterinarian. Always liked the helpless looking ones haha.
I'd say Paul was equal in pushing the band's boundaries. Maybe even more so.
Oh and "Imagine" was released in 1971, nine years before John's death. When John died, the song getting airplay was "(Just Like) Starting Over" off of the Double Fantasy LP.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robeach11 View Post
My sister liked Ringo! She became a veterinarian. Always liked the helpless looking ones haha.
I'd say Paul was equal in pushing the band's boundaries. Maybe even more so.
Oh and "Imagine" was released in 1971, nine years before John's death. When John died, the song getting airplay was "(Just Like) Starting Over" off of the Double Fantasy LP.
My mistake. But "Imagine" got huge air time after he died (and still does, esp. during New Years). It seem like a parting gift from him to us. I'm willing to concede that John and Paul were equally important. Paul usually wrote the better melodies.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 4:30 AM

I wonder what the box-like thingy is just inside the restroom entrance. There's an oval plaque above it with an arrow pointing down. (there's an identically shaped sign inside the snack shack)

My best guess is the box like thingy is the end of a standing only eating area. Customers took their food here rather than take it to the beach. There is likely a trash can out of view. My other guess is this area does not have restrooms. The restrooms are behind the snack bar.

detail

.[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealberke View Post

I believe it says "Fine Ice Cream" below the word Adohr.

(Trivia: Adohr spelled backwards is Foremost)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 7:24 AM

Quote:
File under:... Mid-Century Design.

The Snack Shack at Zuma Beach, Malibu....1959

How long did the Food Shack last? I think I remember it from when I was a kid....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos