HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:25 AM
Community Guy

A shorty to twist the knife...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:44 AM

Not scoring many goals doesn't seem to be working.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 5:03 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I only saw the second half of the Flames - Canucks game but that is the best I’ve seen the Flames look in quite a while. They didn’t go into a defensive shell playing with the lead (which is unusual).
That said, I understand the first period was all Canucks.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:53 AM

I can't believe shit like this is still happening in this league. You're down by 3 goals, late in the 3rd. What are you doing Myers? Deliberate hit to the head. Disgusting. Hope he gets suspended for a while.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
I can't believe shit like this is still happening in this league. You're down by 3 goals, late in the 3rd. What are you doing Myers? Deliberate hit to the head. Disgusting. Hope he gets suspended for a while.
I'm starting to think this season isn't about making the playoffs, it's about forcing your competition to fall down the rankings. Vancouver looks to be competing with ottawa for last place.

Edmonton-Winnipeg seems to be the real battle of the division for that 4th playoff spot.

Calgary-Montreal-Toronto all seem like they are guaranteed playoff time this year and are more worried about getting to the quarter final.

Nucks-Sens clearly out. Jets-Oilers seem to be the ones who are clamoring for every point.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 5:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
I wonder if there is any advantage to playing at home this year without any fans.
I think it isn't so much being home or away, but whether or not you've traveled much.

Going home for 1 game not such a bonus. But playing a team that's been on the road for 2 weeks while you've been at home with no travel will be a huge advantage.

People seem to be forgetting the real issue with this season is the end of it. The last dozen or so games are gonna be huge stakes with such narrow separation between teams.

Home ice advantage may end up being a very very big deal in late april.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 7:48 PM

Well, if it’s going to be a down year for the Canucks, this is the year to do it. The draft is deep in defencemen.

Despite all the losing, I continue to be impressed with Hoglander. I thought that after 4 or 5 games that everybody else would catch up to his speed, but that hasn’t happened. He is the quickest player I have seen in a long time, and lightning quick with his stick.

Canucks are still a young team, and we are still adding big pieces like Hoglander and Podkolzin. Just need another top pairing d man to compliment Hughes (maybe his brother?).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 2:39 AM
Community Guy

Leafs/Oilers....

b
o
r
I
n
g

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 3:20 AM
ハルウララ

Tonight's game was fine. Wednesday's wasn't great.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 10:56 PM

Jets trade Laine and Roslovic to Columbus in huge blockbuster trade for Pierre Luc Dubois and a 3rd round pick. Jets now arguably have best centre line depth in NHL.

https://www.tsn.ca/columbus-blue-jac...cial-1.1581801

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 11:44 PM

Jets should be able to re-sign Pierre Luc as his dad is an assistant coach here in Winnipeg for the Manitoba Moose makes it easier to stay with family.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Jets trade Laine and Roslovic to Columbus in huge blockbuster trade for Pierre Luc Dubois and a 3rd round pick. Jets now arguably have best centre line depth in NHL.

https://www.tsn.ca/columbus-blue-jac...cial-1.1581801
I"m connived he's still going to Montreal. Jets need Defense far more than they need another center. They can survive without a replacement for Laine. They need defense. Weber/Petry would be far more valuable to the team.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
I"m connived he's still going to Montreal. Jets need Defense far more than they need another center. They can survive without a replacement for Laine. They need defense. Weber/Petry would be far more valuable to the team.
I don't think so the pressure of playing in montreal seems to always scare away french canadian players the last 20 years and PLD's dad lives here. Plus Wheeler is 34 and has a lot of miles on him in 2 years time PLD can take over the # 1 centre spot very nicely.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 5:56 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Nice try. We're not trading our 22 year old centre for their overpaid 35 year old defenceman.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 6:11 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I"m connived he's still going to Montreal.
I'm fairly certain the main reason Dubois ended up in Winnipeg is because his dad coaches there.

Why would Winnipeg trade away a young star player for aging defensemen?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I'm fairly certain the main reason Dubois ended up in Winnipeg is because his dad coaches there.

Why would Winnipeg trade away a young star player for aging defensemen?
Because there's no reason to think dubois is gonna stick around once his time is up.

His dad coaches there because obviously the jets hired him to anchor the guy in that city.

Someone who isn't happy in columbus isn't gonna be over the moon to be in winnipeg. Even nhlers who are not picky do not want to be in winnipeg a guy who publicly wants to be traded isn't a life you can count on.

The jets need better defense, they've proven without Laine they can get buy with their current forward depth.

When Stanley is half your teams potential, you've got a problem.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 8:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Nice try. We're not trading our 22 year old centre for their overpaid 35 year old defenceman.
I'd argue petry is the better choice. Dubois makes sense if you think hiring his dad is gonna anchor him to the city. If you go by the evidence where he's clearly a whiner you can't rely on him for anything.

Petry is a high cost but seems like the guy who could make the jets truly competitive.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 9:14 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I'd argue petry is the better choice. Dubois makes sense if you think hiring his dad is gonna anchor him to the city. If you go by the evidence where he's clearly a whiner you can't rely on him for anything.

Petry is a high cost but seems like the guy who could make the jets truly competitive.
The Jets are currently a non-competitive team?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 9:20 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Because there's no reason to think dubois is gonna stick around once his time is up.

His dad coaches there because obviously the jets hired him to anchor the guy in that city.

Someone who isn't happy in columbus isn't gonna be over the moon to be in winnipeg. Even nhlers who are not picky do not want to be in winnipeg a guy who publicly wants to be traded isn't a life you can count on.

The jets need better defense, they've proven without Laine they can get buy with their current forward depth.

When Stanley is half your teams potential, you've got a problem.
Let me get your assertion correct:

The Jets hired PLD's dad to the Moose coaching staff three seasons ago with the ultimate goal of attracting PLD to the city. I guess with that logic they also drafted Adam Lowry way back just to eventually attract his dad as a coach.

That is some serious forward thinking on the Jet's part. If the Jets brass is capable of this sort of chess versus the other teams checkers - they must be purposely losing out in the playoffs just to make sure no other team will discover their genius.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Do you think it would be wise for the Jets to take on a 35 year old Weber who still has 6 years left on a nearly 8 million dollar cap hit? Petry would help the Jets, but he's 33, and even a 22 year old Petry is not worth Dubois. Montreal would need to offer far more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada