Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 10:06 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 12:49 AM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I've been wanting to try them for a while - heard nothing but good things! It's far too difficult to get Quebec beer in Ontario.
Along with Bas-Canada, there's also À La Dérive on Jacques-Cartier in Gatineau and 5e Baron in Aylmer. I haven't been to either but I can get their beers here in Montreal and they're excellent. À La Dérive veers more into the hazy territory, similar to Bas-Canada, while 5e Baron does top-notch interpretations of more traditional styles. It also seems like they have really picturesque locations.

I'm looking forward to the next time I get over to Ottawa-Gatineau and can hit up those breweries, plus my favourites on the Ottawa side (Dominion City, Flora Hall, Tooth and Nail and Small Pony). It's just too bad it's impractical to do a big brewery crawl by transit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've been to their location near my place (which has some tables and serves food) a few times, but my usual watering hole is in Hull, and they have a rotating selection of Bas-Canada on tap.
Which watering hole is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've yet to see Bas-Canada in local supermarkets, though Brasseurs du Temps (BDT) from downtown (Vieux-Hull) are ubiquitous here now.
I don't think Bas-Canada distributes to any supermarkets or regular dépanneurs, only specialty beer deps. Here in Montreal there's only a dozen or so places where you can find them and they tend to disappear quickly after arriving.

Just to keep this on topic, here's an update on REM construction in Montreal.

Nun's Island

Du Quartier

Aerial structure over Lachine Canal

Town of Mount Royal

Édouard-Montpetit

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:26 PM

Ottawa airport spur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
Apparently the elevated guideway structure at the airport is complete: https://twitter.com/AllanHubley_23/s...43330865278982

Quote:
Great news! The #Stage2LRT team has achieved a construction milestone at #YOW Elevated Guideway with completion of 17 caissons, 17 columns, 12 pier caps & 35 girder installations; leading the way for #OttCity’s first LRT access along Line 4 Airport Link. #OTrain

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 2:28 PM

Great pics kilgore trout!

They are testing the REM trains. I saw a video of it yesterday. Looks pretty cool, they are nice looking trains.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 5:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Great pics kilgore trout!

They are testing the REM trains. I saw a video of it yesterday. Looks pretty cool, they are nice looking trains.
Is REM track laying finished?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 6:11 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Is REM track laying finished?
On some sections yes but not entirely for the whole 67 kilometres.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 8:54 PM

Could someone from Montreal please move to Toronto to show them how to build regional rail.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkahHigh View Post
On some sections yes but not entirely for the whole 67 kilometres.
That's good. Any idea when the tracks will be laid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Could someone from Montreal please move to Toronto to show them how to build regional rail.
First you need to bribe the politicians.....
Then you need to use substandard materials....

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
That's good. Any idea when the tracks will be laid?

First you need to bribe the politicians.....
Then you need to use substandard materials....
You didn’t know if the REM’s tracks were aleeady laid out but you know that the REM is the result of bribery and substandard materials. I think you need to improve on your sources.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
You didn’t know if the REM’s tracks were aleeady laid out but you know that the REM is the result of bribery and substandard materials. I think you need to improve on your sources.
I was making a joke. Wasn't it a few years ago the Montreal mayor resigned due to bribery charges?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...tion-1.3952413

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 11:55 PM

La Caisse has no equal in Canada as they can do the Planning, Financing, Excution and Operation. They can manage a project from A to Z. The government tell them what to do, they find a way to make it happen and that's it.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 12:06 AM

RIP Bombardier. I agree with the message from the guy in the video.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 12:40 AM
The New Republic

It's incredibly sad what has happened to Bombardier. You can bet your bottom dollar that if Bombardier were French or American, they never would have allowed it to fail or end up in the hands of the competition. Bombardier was a source of national pride for decades. Yes, they had problems with some products but it wasn't something to fold up shop over.

How long will it be till Canada develops another mass manufacturer of trains and planes. Our last domestic car company was lost about 100 years ago and we're still waiting. Hopefully we don't have to wait as long this time around but I'm not hopeful.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:09 AM

Ottawa should NEVER have allowed the sale of Bombardier unless every single cent of taxpayer money that has flowed into the company was payed back with interest. That would have effectively killed any potential sale as no company in the post-war period has been such a recipient of government largess as Bombardier. Bombardier truly is the gold standard of corporate welfare. This was made worse by the fact that it was a Montreal based company and so was a favourite whipping boy as it was the most obvious example of how Quebec was the spoiled child of confederation.................it's not coincidence that both Calgary & Edmonton run Siemens trains.

Part of this is also just exceptionally poor business planning by the company itself. Bombardier's problems didn't arise until they decided to go full tilt into air planes and hence sucking needed investments, dollars, and reputation out of their standard transportation services. This was reinforced by yet another 'financial aid package' by Quebec and Ottawa. Unfortunately poor planning and administration were irrelevant to Bombardier because they knew that when the going went tough, a government bailout was just a call away.

It is very sad but expected as Canada has a stellar record of either running their companies into the ground or selling out to foreign companies and taking all the technology with them. Hydrogenics {which was a world leader in hydrogen and the Alstom trains run on their technology} was sold last year to Cummins of Columbus and our other star Ballard is finally making money and it will certainly be the next to go.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:20 AM

Carleton Station along Trillium Line, from Rail613on Twitter.

Excavation for the south underpass widening.

https://twitter.com/rail613/status/1356738845375680522

Historic limestone underpass, extended to allow double tracking.

https://twitter.com/rail613/status/1356739953456263168

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Ottawa should NEVER have allowed the sale of Bombardier unless every single cent of taxpayer money that has flowed into the company was payed back with interest. That would have effectively killed any potential sale as no company in the post-war period has been such a recipient of government largess as Bombardier. Bombardier truly is the gold standard of corporate welfare. This was made worse by the fact that it was a Montreal based company and so was a favourite whipping boy as it was the most obvious example of how Quebec was the spoiled child of confederation.................it's not coincidence that both Calgary & Edmonton run Siemens trains.

Part of this is also just exceptionally poor business planning by the company itself. Bombardier's problems didn't arise until they decided to go full tilt into air planes and hence sucking needed investments, dollars, and reputation out of their standard transportation services. This was reinforced by yet another 'financial aid package' by Quebec and Ottawa. Unfortunately poor planning and administration were irrelevant to Bombardier because they knew that when the going went tough, a government bailout was just a call away.

It is very sad but expected as Canada has a stellar record of either running their companies into the ground or selling out to foreign companies and taking all the technology with them. Hydrogenics {which was a world leader in hydrogen and the Alstom trains run on their technology} was sold last year to Cummins of Columbus and our other star Ballard is finally making money and it will certainly be the next to go.
So you are saying that Bombardier only survived due to government largess and at the same time you are sad that they were sold. so did you want more government largess for them not to be sold?
I my opinion it's better for the economy to let failing business die ( i am looking at you Nortel, RIM, Zellers, etc.) than prompt them up with government money.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:27 PM

The REM project is coming aloing nicely.
Video Link

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Jim Watson
@JimWatsonOttawa

The first half of Stage 2 #LRTOtt rail has arrived from Spain! A total of 6,800 metric tons of steel will be used as part of the O-Train East Extension, connecting more residents to rail #Stage2LRT

11:28 AM · Feb 4, 2021·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...65379044147200

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 12:45 AM

Ottawa Stage 2 West tunnel construction through the Byron Tramway Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCity613 View Post

Tunnel trench progress between Sherbourne (Cleary) and New Orchard stations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada