HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Madison Square Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 1:09 PM

45 East 22nd Street Quickly Climbing Into Midtown South Skyline

NIKOLAI FEDAK
SEPTEMBER 24, 2015

Quote:
Out of all the towers currently under construction in Manhattan, the most significantly relative to its surrounding neighborhood is likely 45 East 22nd Street. The Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed building will eventually stand 777 feet tall, but it’s already poking above the local concrete jungle, and its sloped cantilever is also now obvious, per the latest from Tectonic.

Continuum Development is behind the project, which is rising on the same block as One Madison. While that building is technically not the tallest tower in Midtown South, at the moment it commands the most prominence in the vicinity, with a flat roof 641 feet above street level giving it significantly more heft than the angled/pointed top of the MetLife Clocktower (which stands 700 feet tall.)

Continue Reading

Old Posted Sep 24, 2015, 10:54 PM

thanks Sparkling for the dramatic photos and above YIMBY article about 45 E 22 . . .
an impressive height - 777 ft . . great lucky number . . especially for Midtown South.
disagree however with the article's assessment . .
that One Madison dominates the venerable Met Life Clock-tower . .
I'm down the street from both and think the reverse is truer . .
Though they both complement one another very nicely . .
The teetering angularity of 45 E 22 will certainly dominate this triumphal trio.
It'll be a wonderful cluster . .
I prefer this 22nd St KPF design to their taller "curvy-pitcher" design of 11 Murray St.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:14 AM
Ex Houstonian

Cant believe how skinny this one is, its incredible.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 3:06 PM

Eichner’s Flatiron tower hits half-way milestone
One of two penthouses will ask up to $38 million when it hits the market in the spring

October 05, 2015
Rich Bockmann

Quote:
After launching sales in January, Ian Bruce Eichner’s Flatiron condo tower has hit the half-way mark, and the developer plans to put the first of two penthouses on the market in the spring for as much as $38 million.

Buyers have snapped up 50 percent of the 83 units at 45 East 22nd Street, Eichner told The Real Deal.

“We’ve sold evenly in every category we’ve got,” said Eichner, who hired Corcoran Sunshine to handle sales and marketing at the building.

The building, which uses a clever design to place more sellable square footage on the higher floors, has a projected total sellout of $714.6 million, according to a condo offering plan on file with the Attorney General’s office.

The most expensive unit on the market now just cracks the $20 million mark, with a number of full-floor units and a pair of penthouse apartments yet to be released at a time when sales of trophy listings in certain parts of the city have shown signs of cooling lately.

Eichner said the first penthouse, at 6,000 square feet, will hit the market around $38 million, while a second penthouse could fetch an even higher price.

When construction is finished in 2017, the Kohn Pedersen Fox-designed spire will climb more than 100 feet higher than One Madison, making it the tallest building between 57th Street and Lower Manhattan.

The tower is the product of a complex land assemblage Eichner put together next to One Madison, and marks his return to New York City development following several high-profile ups and downs.

- See more at: http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/10/....6dYONIHW.dpuf

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 12:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 8:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Its to the right of the metropolitan insurance tower. Already making a presence in the skyline.

- Empire State Building by Cooper Smith, on Flickr

Last edited by chris08876; Jan 10, 2016 at 4:24 PM. Reason: Broken Link

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 4:49 AM

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 4:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Tectonic

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 6:15 PM

So far this looks pretty terrific.

Extell has a development site just to the west, between this tower and the 23 E. 22 tower. This street will be very impressive with three skinny towers all in a row.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 7:07 PM

I have a friend who works at a construction company, and her next job might be that Extell site your talking about as she was telling me her next job site is a two tower complex, 20 and 13 story give or take, right off Madison Square on 23rd or 22nd, can't remember.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:00 AM

yankeesfan1000, very cool intel! I thought Eichner had purchased all the west air rights for 45 East according to one of the older articles. Is that why Extell is only building a 20 or 13 story building instead of a new tall tower?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 4:50 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Bit of a shame that the glass is hiding that cool cantilever structure.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 9:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Interview With The Developer: Bruce Eichner On 45 East 22nd Street, The Evolution Of The Flatiron, And Continuum’s Future Plans

Quote:
Where is the building at today in terms of construction?

Today they’re pouring the 35th floor.

This is supposed to resemble a champagne flute, correct?

It was described that way because the top of the building is 105 feet wide while the base is only 75 feet wide. But I like the fact that the building has a distinctive top to it. One of the reasons so many tall buildings from the Art Deco period have managed to have legs is the elegance at the top. The buildings themselves are not so interesting, but the tops are pretty elegant.

What part of the building has been the most difficult? The cantilever, the podium, or the top?

From a design perspective, the most difficult part was the base, because the initial concept that Kohn Pedersen Fox came up with was a glass building. And I did not feel that that was appropriate for the Flatiron District. So the entire design process was interrupted by a difference of opinion between client and architect. I said look, I don’t think One Madison fits — I don’t think that’s an appropriate design solution. Now maybe One Madison may have gotten away with it because it faces 23rd Street. But 22nd Street is different.

So we spent two months looking through nineteenth century architecture — both in the United States and in Italy — because I wanted something not glass. And that’s how we ultimately came up with their suggestion of granite. And that was the most difficult part of the design process. But it was like a conversion — it’s like people who give up smoking and become zealots.

The architects so liked this, and the attention to detail — they sent a team of two people to China, to acquire and pick each piece of granite, and number it. So I have pictures in my office of the mock-up in China, already assembled and numbered, because the base is also non-linear — all the pieces are irregular. Which I like very much.

What do you think of the comparison to 111 Murray? Is 45 East 22nd a sibling?

That’s a question that I would ask KPF. Because they designed 45 East 22nd Street first, 100%. And then based on the reception they had, the developers at 111 Murray tasked the architects with a similar design. When you’re dealing with 45 East 22nd Street, it gives you more square footage higher up in the building. So how do you copy yourself as an architect without duplicating work?

Louboutin does red heels. He’s got a very distinct brand and it is what it is. If you look by and large at anyone’s collection, as a designer, it’s very difficult for them to get away from who they are. What I will say, is I really like the way 45 East 22nd Street meets the sky — I’d be less happy with how 111 Murray meets the sky. I think towers should have — it’s a very specific challenge in how they evolve at the top.

What’s the relation of One Madison to this project?

Obviously when Related took over the project, they decided not to do what the original developer was going to do, which was a 15-16 story thing by Rem Koolhaas. It was a funky design, but that’s one of the reasons why 45 East 22nd Street is the height that it is. At least part of the air rights for that, they didn’t buy, and I wound up purchasing the air rights from the townhouse that’s immediately adjacent to One Madison, which was going to be part of the Rem Koolhaas design.

One Madison was basically designed ten years ago. I didn’t think it had relevance as far as 45 East 22nd Street. The issue for me with 45 East 22nd was three-fold. One, I had a very narrow site, and how was I going to put something on the site, which is where the cantilever idea came from. The second idea was, who did I want to pick for the architect, how would that translate into the design, and how would I get something at the bottom of the building that fits into the neighborhood — when it’s 2015, and the tower will be glass. And then the third piece had to do with interiors, because the preponderance of what I saw in the market was very contemporary. White kitchens, white floors. I wanted to do something different, I felt that real estate always produces competition, and with competition, you can’t change the location of the product, but you can change the choices. This is, I believe, the only building in the city in which we offer three different colors for floors, and three different kitchen styles.

Do you have buyers who still have no interest in those finishes and want everything done custom?

One of the purchasers who bought three apartments and combined them, asked that the apartment be finished as a “white box.” They hired their own interior designer who wants to do everything. They didn’t want the floors or anything.

How big will the largest penthouse be?

I believe 7,000 square feet.

And it’s already listed?

Neither penthouse is listed.

Could they be combined for the choosy buyer? Look what happened at One Madison!

That would be an apartment of about 15,000 square feet.

Well Rupert Murdoch’s children will probably reproduce at some point. What better way to one-up dad?

Based on the sales at 432 and at One57, you are 100% right.

[...]
=============================
http://www.yimbynews.com/2015/10/int...ure-plans.html

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:17 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 9:33 PM
Astorian

November 9th, 2015

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 6:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 4:38 AM

so they had to go to China for the granite ? . .
and do the mock up of the base there also ? . .
Don't tell me . .
We're lucky we don't have to go to China to pee yet . .
I agree with Eichner . . about KPF's 45 E22nd St.'s crown . .
being more elegant than 111 Murray's . .
which has a corny spout-shaped profile like a pitcher . .
for me . . the tops of tall buildings make them or break them . .

Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 8:17 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Image from robertwalpole

Old Posted Dec 4, 2015, 2:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

To the right.

Credit: FC

Old Posted Dec 7, 2015, 7:48 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive