HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPsy View Post
Yes -- WAY better than a mausoleum, although that proposal fit Brendan Reilly's idea of urban liveliness/absence of pedestrian "traffic" so well that I'm surprised he didn't approve it and build it himself.

But what's a "furniture gallery?" A retail furniture store? If so, where will customers park, load purchases, etc. -- or is it meant to be a Merchandise Mart-type showroom space?
The proposal that has been published in the news that I've seen said that it's a possible site for a Restoration Hardware concept store known as "RH Gallery"--this would be analogous to a showroom in the Merchandise Mart. Deliveries would be a non-issue as none of the furniture on display would ship from the "gallery" (a non-issue save for merchandise refreshes, anyway).

This is a very bizarre location for such a program. Too far from the River North design/gallery area to benefit from the critical mass of like-type spaces that exist in that area.

http://bit.ly/WIO9XG

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ If 'Shake Shack' adds gangbusters streetlife to the area, I'll eat my underwear.

Chicago has plenty of burger/shake joints.
I can't think of any good burger joints close to Michigan Ave. Also, Magnolia didn't open (in a bad location) until the cupcake craze was on the downswing. Shake Shack's buzz is still going up.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
I can't think of any good burger joints close to Michigan Ave. Also, Magnolia didn't open (in a bad location) until the cupcake craze was on the downswing. Shake Shack's buzz is still going up.
People wait in long lines for burgers and shakes?

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 6:58 PM
Content provider

M burger good

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post

CHEEP - Great food - fantastic ambiance ---

-- and they'll let anybody in

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 7:41 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine people waiting in long lines for this. New York is different--people get more caught up in the hype over stuff because there are a lot of tools in New York who are all about 'doing the New York thing'. My observation has long been that Chicagoans are different. Another example is the Magnolia Bakery shop in Block 37. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine bakery, but it's not nearly as crowded, not even close, as the original in New York. Again, in New York it's all about the "OMG that's from Sex in the City I have to go!" thing that draws the crowds in long lines just to eat a bunch of cupcakes.
This happens in Chicago for "Chicago Things" also. There is usually a line of people at the Garrett's on Ontario on the weekends and in the summer. People also wait in line/spill out of Geno's or Uno's or Giordano...etc.

My guess is that the first few weekends that the Shack is open it will be swamped with people, but then after the buzz wears off it will be as busy as any other decent lunch spot. This is what happened at the Chik-fil-A on Chicago when it opened, which is a good "fast-food from a different area of the country that just got to Chicago" comparison...

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicago Swi Sox View Post
My guess is that the first few weekends that the Shack is open it will be swamped with people, but then after the buzz wears off it will be as busy as any other decent lunch spot. This is what happened at the Chik-fil-A on Chicago when it opened, which is a good "fast-food from a different area of the country that just got to Chicago" comparison...
Makes sense

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 8:38 PM

80 new lofts coming to Lakeview

http://lakeview.patch.com/articles/l...o-lofts-retail

BJB is also redeveloping the former SRO, Hotel Chateau at 3838 N Broadway into rental units. These along with 3740 N Halsted and the 25 potential units at the former Sappanos paint store make a nice "little" boom to Lakeview

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:19 PM
The City

It's about time. Now we just need to see that former Dominick's site that burned down get developed. What's up with that? I'm floored that throughout this apartment boom this site remained vacant.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician
I can't imagine people waiting in long lines for this. New York is different--people get more caught up in the hype over stuff because there are a lot of tools in New York who are all about 'doing the New York thing'.
Drive past Hot Dougs on a nice summer day and get back to me.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 9:33 PM
The City

Hot Dougs, you mean with the duck fat fries and foies gras?

Those long lines are usually on Saturday, when the former is available.

I realize that we're still talking about hot dogs, but that's a far cry from burgers and shakes...

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Hot Dougs, you mean with the duck fat fries and foies gras?

Those long lines are usually on Saturday, when the former is available.

I realize that we're still talking about hot dogs, but that's a far cry from burgers and shakes...

Actually there's a line quite a bit. I went there a few Thursdays ago at like 3pm and still had to wait about 30-40 minutes in line to get anything (my friend wanted it).

it has absolutely nothing to do with the duck fat fries. Hot Doug's is very famous, especially because it was on No Reservations with Bourdain and Bourdain basically salivated the entire time. If you go to the line now, it's a ton of tourists no matter what day of the week it is. Look at the Yelp reviews for it even. Many, many tourists. Just on the first page alone, I see...San Francisco, San Antonio, Union City California, Quincy Mass, Costa Mesa, Keller Texas, Stamford Connecticut, NYC, Newark, and some in indiana and others from the burbs.

That's even one of the first place most of my foodie friends from out ot town want to visit when they come here. It doesn't even matter what day it is. If you really think that it's just because of the duck fat fries then you have a little bit to learn my friend. It's a very touristic spot now. VERY

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:24 PM

Emanuel to announce $300 million DePaul stadium plan for McCormick Place

http://www.suntimes.com/20088232-761...ick-place.html

I am normally a big Rahm fan, but why does Depaul need $100 million in tax payer dollars??? I much rather have my tax payer money go towards bringing the Chicago Fire in the city limits then some second tier college basketball program. In fact, send that money up north to reopen Uptown Theater! I digress.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
It's about time. Now we just need to see that former Dominick's site that burned down get developed. What's up with that? I'm floored that throughout this apartment boom this site remained vacant.
Caught in legal limbo still.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
Emanuel to announce $300 million DePaul stadium plan for McCormick Place

http://www.suntimes.com/20088232-761...ick-place.html

I am normally a big Rahm fan, but why does Depaul need $100 million in tax payer dollars??? I much rather have my tax payer money go towards bringing the Chicago Fire in the city limits then some second tier college basketball program. In fact, send that money up north to reopen Uptown Theater! I digress.
McPier has room left in it's bonding authority. They will obviously have the arena available to them for uses outside the basketball games (concerts and large events related to various conventions).

Hopefully this plus the CTA station and reignited residential development will finally help Motor row get moving.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Are you being serious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
People wait in long lines for burgers and shakes?
Amazingly, yes. They even have a "Shack Cam" so you can monitor the line situation at their Madison Square location. http://www.shakeshack.com/location/m...ark/#shack-cam

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 2:46 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Hopefully this plus the CTA station and reignited residential development will finally help Motor row get moving.
^ Kinda how the United Center got the west side going again?

Not trying to be snarky--in fact that comment wasn't really directed at you, but to those who still believe that a stadium will revitalize a neighborhood.

To me, in theory I actually think they can. But if McPier and Depaul surround this new stadium with seas of surface parking, say goodbye to any hope of this project achieving that objective (of revitalizing the area, that is). And that is exactly what we often get with giant sports stadiums

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 2:54 AM

I guess they could build a parking deck if they need space for cars.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 3:09 AM

Breaking architecture news? Awesome! http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/05/...cormick-place/

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 3:28 AM

Quote:
^ Kinda how the United Center got the west side going again?

Not trying to be snarky--in fact that comment wasn't really directed at you, but to those who still believe that a stadium will revitalize a neighborhood.

To me, in theory I actually think they can. But if McPier and Depaul surround this new stadium with seas of surface parking, say goodbye to any hope of this project achieving that objective (of revitalizing the area, that is). And that is exactly what we often get with giant sports stadiums
If they were going to bulldoze half of the convention center an a couple neighboring high rises then I'd agree. Since that doesn't appear to be the case I'm willing to at least give this the benefit of the doubt. As long as the ABC building is spared I consider this a favorable development and I think it's already been said that minimal to no extra parking will be constructed with the arena.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development