HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 4:25 AM

Red face TORONTO | 21 Dundas Square | 367 FT / 112 M | 40 FL

Address: 21 Dundas Square
Developer: HNR
Architect: Diamond Schitt / ERA / Page+Steele

Yet more filler for downtown T.O. Not sure what the end product will look like, but at this point - the render doesn't look too promising. Not sure if this is a rental building either, but demolition is happening on site.

Only the dark building in the photos is being demo'd. The lighter building is just going through renos (thankfully).

July 12th by androiduk

July 21st by drum118

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 5:30 AM
The New Republic

I really hate this one in every way possible.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 6:09 AM
The good old days are now

It's almost as if there is no heritage preservation movement in Toronto whatsoever. Even losing just the dark colour building is a damn shame. The building they are demolishing could have easily been made into desirable lofts (even had a few floors added)...

Also, I hope this tower won't be glued to the back of the light coloured building, which would ruin it. It is pretty similar looking to that one that is getting butchered for the glass office tower.

And it that weren't enough, the tower has a horrible design. (Page + Steele...)

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 12:53 PM

I don't dislike this design. Nothing spectacular, but not completely bad.
But I do agree, it does seem like there's no respectable heritage preservation in Toronto at the moment. Which is a big shame and something I hope future generations won't look back on with big regret.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 5:32 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I'm fairly certain that only a small portion of future generations will be upset. By the time we get to future generations the buildings going up today will be viewed proudly as fine examples of early 21st century development, like how New York is loved for it's art deco or Paris for it's Haussmann Renovation.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 5:39 PM

It was a quite a handsome building.

July 21st by drum118.

MTLskyline: On the topic of heritage preservation, you should see what the city allowed with Motel 6.

Before (courtesy of androiduk):

After (courtesy of androiduk):

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 11:06 PM
The good old days are now

Wow.... Fake stucco... I didn't think renovations could be done so horribly in 2013. The brickwork alone was worth preserving the old building for.

All renovations of heritage buildings should be carefully scrutinized. Much more so than all-new proposals. I wouldn't have a problem with the 21 Dundas tower being built on an empty lot or some building with no architectural value, but not at the expense of an old building.

Old Toronto has so much character, and it seems nobody in power places much value on it. It's not much different from the mentality of the 1960s and 70s.

To relate things a bit to my city.. The late 1950s through the mid 1980s saw a lot of Montreal's heritage bulldozed. Mayor Drapeau (mayor for most of that time) was always eager to issue new demolition and construction permits. In the late 1970s and early 1980s a lot of citizen-formed heritage preservation groups were formed by local citizens, ultimately saving many buildings. Today we have a strong citizen-run heritage preservation group in Heritage Montreal, the Canadian Centre for Architecture (which also promotes heritage preservation) and a municipal Office of Public Consultations, which is independent from our elected officials.

What Toronto needs are non-profit heritage organizations led by architects, urban planners, historians, and other concerned citizens. These types of groups often have more influence than any sort of non-arms length heritage department at city hall.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 6:02 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
It's almost as if there is no heritage preservation movement in Toronto whatsoever. Even losing just the dark colour building is a damn shame. The building they are demolishing could have easily been made into desirable lofts (even had a few floors added)...

Also, I hope this tower won't be glued to the back of the light coloured building, which would ruin it. It is pretty similar looking to that one that is getting butchered for the glass office tower.

And it that weren't enough, the tower has a horrible design. (Page + Steele...)
Agree 100%. Victoria Street is one of the most interesting streets from an architectural point of view. There's so much character and charm, but I'm not sure how much of it will survive. I doubt much beyond Massey Hall and the back end of the Canon Theatre.

You're right that the dark coloured building would have made awesome lofts. Even that fire escape was nice in that it gave the area an authentic 1920s feel. And all for what? This turd of a building? Heritage in Toronto is an absolute joke.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2013, 12:30 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I'm fairly certain that only a small portion of future generations will be upset. By the time we get to future generations the buildings going up today will be viewed proudly as fine examples of early 21st century development, like how New York is loved for it's art deco or Paris for it's Haussmann Renovation.
The Haussmann reno in Paris is how we view Paris today. Most people dont even realize most of medevial and Roman Paris was destoyed to create the prototypical grand Parisian Blvd.

Toronto will be the new face of 21st century North American mass construction and building methology. There is a deliberate system to the construction madness which has been deployed here.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 8:32 PM
Urban Fanactic

21 Dundas Square/258 Victoria on Victoria Street just south of Dundas Square.

Picture by me.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 5:08 AM

March 7th by drum118. This one will be a rental tower.

They have done some beautiful work restoring the building next door.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 6:13 PM
Urban Fanactic

A look into the pit of 258 Victoria by Dundas Square.

Picture by me.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:13 AM

January 2nd, 2015 by kotsy.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:41 AM

Can mods move this to under construction?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 9:39 PM

Judging by the render, it's almost as if the developer dosent care about aesthetics.

Old Posted May 30, 2015, 12:00 AM

May 28th, 2015 by kotsy.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 4:04 PM
gettin' rich!

I don't even need to see the cladding, this building will be an abomination!

Urbandreamer, you'll have a party with this one for sure.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 7:04 PM
I am the law!

Wow. Did someone hack Caltrane's account? Some usually harsh criticism.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 2:23 PM
gettin' rich!

Red face Toronto | HNR Dundas Square | U/C | 40 st | 122.5 m | Dundas Square

update

What it will look like

www.urbantoronto.ca

HNR Dundas Square Tower by HNR Properties, Diamond Schmitt Architects, Page + Steele and ERA Architects

Special Notes
Involves restoration of 10-storey Hermant Building at 19 Dundas Square (c: 1913) and 15 Storey Hermant east tower at 21 Dundas Square (c:1929)
Involves the demolition of the Hermant Annex building at 258 Victoria St (c:1920) and 252 Victoria St (c:1930)
Tower will be built and incorporate buildings on Dundas sq
Total height 122.5m

Building will contain 5 Stories of office space and 230 sq m of retail space
Tower will include 6 levels of underground parking for 97 spaces (82 for residential 15 for visitor/office)
Residential access will be via Victoria St
The design of the building will be unique as 19 Dundas sq will have a white terra cotta cladding (a cladding rarely found in Toronto).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 4:32 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive