HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 10:01 PM

Smile NEW YORK| World Financial Center Renovation

This thread is for the renovation for the World Financial Center in New York City. The plan is to add more retail to the complex, to add a new pavilion to link the World Financial Center to the WTC Transit Hub, and to add a marketplace. Please anybody could add photos and more information on the renovation.

Last edited by WTCman7301; Oct 23, 2012 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2012, 10:57 PM

...Brookfield Place, as of 2013 anyway.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2012, 10:52 PM

can somebody post pics of the tunnel entrance construction?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 10:14 PM

Bloomberg News
World Financial Center Renamed in Tenant Shift
By David M. Levitt on October 26, 2012

Quote:
Lower Manhattan’s World Financial Center, the 8 million-square-foot complex near the Hudson River, will soon have a new identity as owner Brookfield Office Properties Inc. (BPO) seeks to attract a shifting mix of tenants.

By late next year, the property will be known as Brookfield Place, said Mitchell Rudin, the company’s president of U.S. commercial operations. The landlord has already started the process, with its website referring to the new name under the current one.

The change reflects the smaller role finance plays in lower Manhattan as Brookfield faces vacancies at the site. Bank of America Corp. (BAC) is leaving almost 3 million square feet (279,000 square meters) inherited with its 2009 takeover of Merrill Lynch & Co., which was based at the property. Its leases expire next year in what Green Street Advisors Inc.’s Michael Knott calls a “perfect real estate storm” because it coincides with two new towers at the nearby World Trade Center becoming available and a broader slowdown in leasing by financial firms.

“We’ve seen many tenants in media, entertainment, law, consumer products, in addition to seeing tenants in the financial sector,” Rudin said in a telephone interview. “The non-financial tenants have indicated to varying degrees that it was not appealing to be in a complex that was denominated financial. So we decided to accommodate that.”

Merrill, Lehman
The World Financial Center, built in the 1980s, was designed by Cesar Pelli to accommodate top global finance firms. Besides Merrill, it was also home to Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. until the 2001 terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center heavily damaged the company’s offices at 3 World Financial Center. The now-defunct investment bank moved to Midtown. American Express Co. (AXP) remains headquartered at the complex.

Brookfield, which owns office buildings in the U.S., London, Australia and its original home in Canada, has started a rebranding campaign that reflects “the changing demographics of lower Manhattan and the companies and industries relocating to the area,” according to a memo to employees.

Information technology and media have been the most aggressive customers of Manhattan office space. They accounted for 23 percent of leasing volume in the third quarter, compared with only 11 percent for financial services, according to a report by Cresa, a brokerage that that represents tenants. Banks and financial firms have announced about 60,000 job cuts worldwide this year, data compiled by Bloomberg show.

Altering Space
Knott, a REIT analyst (BPO) with Newport Beach, California-based Green Street, estimated that it may cost Brookfield about $70 a square foot to alter and subdivide the former Merrill offices to make them more compatible to non-financial tenants. That’s probably going to be more than the annual rent it can achieve, he said. Asking rents averaged $61 a square foot in the trade Center/financial center submarket in the third quarter, according to a report by brokerage Newmark Grubb Knight Frank.

“Getting ‘financial’ out of the name is smart, but it’s not a silver bullet,” Knott said. “The leasing task in front of them remains monumental.”

The new name has been well-received so far, Rudin said.

“We had a terrific broker event, we had several hundred senior members of the brokerage community here, and everyone that raised the issue thought it was absolutely the right thing to do,” he said. “It eliminates a hurdle for some of them at least as they’d been thinking about the now-World Financial Center for their non-financial tenants.”

More Companies
Though they intend to accommodate some smaller tenants, “we’re not going to be changing the inherent nature of the complex in terms of size,” Rudin said. He estimated that the 3 million square feet will eventually be filled by companies that number in the “high single digits.”

The Brookfield Place logo will start going up around the complex gradually over the next year, and will culminate when the company opens the new entry pavilion on West Street to the Winter Garden atrium, when the current name will be “retired,” according to the memo. Brookfield is spending about $250 million remaking the retail concourse, adding waterfront dining, a gourmet food marketplace, and high-end fashion shops.

Along with the renaming of the complex, the individual buildings will be known instead by their street addresses, the memo said. One World Financial will be called 200 Liberty St., 2 World Financial will be 225 Liberty, 3 World Financial will be 200 Vesey St. and 4 World Financial -- Merrill’s former headquarters -- will be 250 Vesey.
http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...d-tenant-shift

Old Posted Oct 27, 2012, 10:26 PM
World Machine

^^^Read that article yesterday - I absolutely understand the logic behind the change. The article says it all, Brookfield has a considerable challenge ahead of them to refill what will be in a short time a vast amount of empty space. Having been inside that complex more times than I can count, I will say that while it is a beautiful place to visit / work, I can certainly see why the place wouldn't appeal to hip and trendy young companies. Brookfield must take steps to retrofit and rebrand that space to appeal to current demands if they intend on filling floors. It seems that they are doing just that, though the challenge is monumental.

On a side note, I will miss the quintessential '80's financial scene' vibe the place has - at least some evidence of that will remain.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:59 AM

Here are some renderings

the new Pavilion

WFC Terrace

4 WFC Lobby

New Shops

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 3:17 PM
World Machine

The place is definitely going to have a new look and feel based on what those renderings show. Aside from the improvements within the complex, another huge selling point is the convenient proximity to transit.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2012, 7:14 PM

I would assume most of the WFC is fairly new after the 2001 attacks. Nonetheless, I do like the renderings. Those basketball nets should be in the NBA Shop on 5th avenue.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 4:53 PM

are they adding a Apple Store ?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 8:23 PM
Come As You Are

It will look so much more modern. I think Pelli himself designed the new entrance, but is the rumour of the demolition of the staircase true?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 1:41 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
but is the rumour of the demolition of the staircase true?
For a little while that was a possibility, however due to public outcry the staircase will be preserved as is.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 3:19 PM

Aurora Borealis-Inspired Lighting Display to Fill the World Financial Center Winter Garden
Friday, January 11, 2013
Branden Klayko.

Quote:
Beginning on January 22, Pelli Clarke Pelli’s glass Winter Garden at Manhattan’s World Financial Center will be twinkling with strands of LED lights. Lighting artist and theater designer Anne Militello designed the Light Cycles installation, inspired by the jewel-tone color of lights found in nature such as the Aurora Borealis. LED lights will be attached to strings of mirrored discs hanging from the ten-story barrel-vaulted ceiling. The lights will feature “shifting movements and patterns” programmed by the artist. According to the World Financial Center, “Like charms on a bracelet, the jeweled discs entrance through a softly evolving manipulation of color and texture.” The installation runs through March 30, 2013.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 5:13 PM

Awesome.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 5:40 AM
BANNED

It appears to be a very nice update overall.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2013, 12:19 PM

This will look great once its done

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 11:24 PM

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/skyline/

lol that stands out a lot, looks cool though

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 5:43 AM

with this project and the new WTC complex.. it should be an interesting next decade in Downtown!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 4:35 PM
Come As You Are

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 2:26 PM

Construction appears to be coming along at great timing. I also will be very fascinated with NYC's DT look after not only this renovation but the WTC as well.

Cheers for the pics!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 9:14 PM
Eagle Scout since 9/28/09

About time this topic had a thread!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development