HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:49 PM

Smile NEW YORK | Brooklyn Bridge Park Hotel and Condos

I think this development deserved a thread of its own.

Quote:
Brooklyn Bridge Park Hotel and Condos

he responses are in, and, as predicted, lots of boldface names from the developer world have submitted proposals for the hotel and condos at Brooklyn Bridge Park. Developer roll call: Extell, Starwood Capital Group, Toll Brothers, Two Trees, RAL Companies & Affiliates, SDS Procida, and Dermot. The Journal has a summary of the proposals, for 170 to 225 hotel rooms and 150 to 180 residential units, packed into smallish 110-foot and 55-foot-tall buildings. The hotel and condos need to generate enough revenue to help fund the park.

i couldnt link the other proposals renderings so check them out here.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 4:03 PM

Yo, can you put the spaces before and after the line between New York and Brooklyn in the title? It's sending me into an OCD frenzy.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Yo, can you put the spaces before and after the line between New York and Brooklyn in the title? It's sending me into an OCD frenzy.
there u go. lmao

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 2:30 PM

I like the Dermot and Two Trees proposals--the others not so much.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2011, 5:48 PM

At least this is better then having an empty lot with nothing, but tar and concrete to look at.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:43 PM
New Yorker for life

About a million renderings here...I'll post a few...
http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/28035

Dreaming of Development at Brooklyn Bridge Park

November 28, 2011

Quote:
Last week, as New York was blindly transfixed on its impending Thanksgiving feast, the Brooklyn Bridge Park (BBP) released renderings of a proposed mixed-use development that could has been floated to help fund the waterfront park. Seven proposals stacked, folded, and otherwise covered in plants a program calling for several hundred hotel rooms and residences on two park-side sites on Furman Street. The developer/architect breakdown was full of the regular big names and heavy hitters: Brooklyn’s Two Trees selected WASA/Studio A; Toll Brothers worked with Rogers Marvel; SDS worked with Leeser; Extell went with Beyer Blinder Belle; Dermot with FX Fowle; RAL with CDA; and Starwood teamed with Alloy Development, Bernheimer Architects, and n Architects.

Building any new buildings along the park has been a contentious issue, but the tax revenue the new development would generate would go a long way toward BBP’s financial sustainability. While architects whipped up some flashy renderings, one aspect seems certain to rouse fans of Brooklyn Heights’ elevated promenade. In several of the renderings, views of the Brooklyn Bridge appear slightly interrupted despite guidelines that limit the height of new construction. BBP spokesperson Ellen Ryan told AN that all of the proposals adhere to the Special Scenic View Corridor regulations set forth by City Planning, which are actually lower in height than the old cold storage warehouses that once stood on the site until the 1950s. The building height limits range from 55 feet to the south and 100 feet to the north.

Proposal by FXFOWLE / Dermot.

Check the link for multiple renderings.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:28 AM

I have been down there and I love it so much. If it's cheap I might want to live down there, and I am wondering why is the access platform to Brooklyn Bridge Park at Squibb Park. It's quite useless since the park is always mostly closed.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:50 AM

Outdide the SDS and Starwood proposals I think they all look pretty good, doubt they'll be cheap unfortunately. I'd imagine after the selection is made these would start virtually immediately.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:01 AM
BANNED

I think they're all lame, though Dermot's proposal by FxFowle is ok.

This magnificent site deserves something iconic. NY has some many amazing groundscrapers and can do much better.

In fact, I'd rather have a neo-Georgian complex, like in Richmond-upon-Thames, over what's been proposed thus far.

http://www.picturesofengland.com

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 2:34 AM

Haha, once again the big Extell! It is a very good plan, will revitalize this area.
I'm hoping to have a good project for this site!

My favorite projects of this link are:

The Starwood proposal
The Starwood proposal, by Bernheimer Architects
The SDS proposal, by Leeser Architects
Maybe The Dermot proposal

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 3:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2012/0...ridge_park.php

And Then There Were Three at Brooklyn Bridge Park

Wednesday, February 22, 2012
by Sara Polsky

Quote:
A number of major developers submitted plans, released back in November, for the hotel and condos at Brooklyn Bridge Park. The project—with 175 to 225 hotel rooms and 150 to 180 residential units—needs to generate enough revenue to help fund the park. The pool of developers with a shot at the assignment has been narrowed from seven to three, according to Crain's. So who's left? Toll Brothers, Starwood Capital Group, and the Dermot Company. Proposals from the last developers standing are gathered in the gallery above.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...120229984/1033

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I think they're all lame, though Dermot's proposal by FxFowle is ok.

This magnificent site deserves something iconic. NY has some many amazing groundscrapers and can do much better.

In fact, I'd rather have a neo-Georgian complex, like in Richmond-upon-Thames, over what's been proposed thus far.

http://www.picturesofengland.com
NO thanks, we don't want to be going back into the past and copying England. We want something fresh and modern. Anyway, Georgian isn't my favorite style.

I like the FX proposal too.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

And Then There Were Three at Brooklyn Bridge Park

Wednesday, February 22, 2012
by Sara Polsky
Curbed has a poll...

The majority vote is for Dermot...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 11:58 PM

Vacancies at Brooklyn Bridge Park: Hotel Requirement Sinks Developers
By Matt Chaban

Quote:
Brooklyn Bridge Park has transformed the borough’s waterfront, replacing derelict warehouses with yuppie-packed lawns and playgrounds. The project would not be possible without the controversial private development surrounding it, a handful of apartment buildings, retail outlets, even a hotel. After all, who wouldn’t want to spend the night in New York overlooking the Brooklyn Bridge?

The developers vying for the right to develop Pier 1, that’s who.

While all of the teams vying for the 100,000-square-foot project have found hotel operators and are prepared to make a go of a waterfront hostel, some bidders, as well as those who considered the project but ultimately decided not to make a pitch for the plot, have told The Observer that having a hotel is a drag on the project.

“It’s a great view, sure, but it’s far from mass transit, it’s far from a lot of activity, you’re basically between the BQE and the park, and that’s about it,” one participant said. “There’s Dumbo, but Dumbo isn’t exactly jumping after dark.”

According to bidders, the Brooklyn Bridge Park Corporation, the city-backed agency responsible for the open space and the development underwriting it, is unwilling to nix hotel space from the project’s requirements because it is outlined in the original agreement between the city and the state. Changes would require approval in Albany, which was hard to get in the first place, and therefore officials are afraid to open the process up again and risk any unexpected consequences.

At a time when New York City is seeing record number of tourists, it seems hard to believe that hotels would not be a hot commodity. But it has more to do with long-term, reliable income streams and, more crucially, banks general unwillingness to lend to developments in the city at the moment. Adding a hotel to a project makes it that much more complex of a deal and thus a harder sell.

That is why events spaces—bars, ballrooms, conference centers—are prominent features of many of the hotel proposals submitted by developers. They add reliable income that takes advantage of the waterfront and skyline appeal.

“It wouldn’t be a prime, prime location, but it is a good location,” Roland Demilleret told The Observer. A managing director at hotel consultancy HVS, Mr. Demilleret actually consulted on some of the projects, and he said there was a general excitement among the hotel operators but less so among the developers.

“The only problem I see for the site is it’s far from the business districts,” Mr. Demilleret said. “It won’t draw the commercial client, but the leisure client will still come.” He also said that hotels in Brooklyn still tend to be price-sensitive, less a first choice than a cheaper alternative to Manhattan, so the room rates cannot be too high. “As long as you keep it small, it will work,” Mr. Demilleret said. “I don’t think a 400 room hotel would work there.” The plan currently limits hotel rooms to between 170 and 225 rooms, the apparent sweet spot.

“We think a hotel is a great fit with the project and the site, and we have never thought twice about including it,” Brooklyn Bridge Park spokeswoman Ellen Ryan told The Observer last week.

Still, these challenges have not deterred the final three teams still in the running, Dermot, FXFowle and Hyatt with space set aside for the St. Anne’s warehouse theater; Toll Brothers, Rogers Marvel Architects and Hampshire Hotels; and Starwood Capital, Alloy Development, Bernheimer Architecture and nArchitects. (The winners were reported recently by Crain’s.) Not making the cut were bids from RAL, Extell Development, Two Trees and SDS Procida.

An announcement for the winner is expected in the next few weeks.

All three winners offer proposals with high-wattage design behind them, which is counter to what some competitors had said was a bias toward money above all else. It is an attitude that makes sense, given the conservancy’s desperate need for funds to keep the park afloat—85 acres of parkland, much of it built on piers, does not pay for their own maintenance.

Other entrants said that design has been an important part of the competition, pointing to the presence of notorious nitpickers Amanda Burden, the City Planning Commissioner, and James Polshek, chair of the Public Design Commission, as signs that quality architecture is just as important as the promised payment. “Some entries were definitely dismissed because they were not good enough,” one source said.

It echoes a commitment conservancy president Regina Meyer outlined to The Observer during a tour of the park in the fall, just before the finalist were announced. “In terms of design and pedestrian experience, we were real clear this was very important to us,” Ms. Meyer said standing on the path between the lush park and the vacant development site. “We don’t want anything to undermine our huge public investment in design already.”
http://www.observer.com/2012/03/vaca...ks-developers/

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
NO thanks, we don't want to be going back into the past and copying England. We want something fresh and modern. Anyway, Georgian isn't my favorite style.
Speak for yourself, I'd prefer something more respectful of Brooklyn Heights. And Brooklyn Heights is the most desirable neighborhood in Brooklyn, maybe because that's what people like. And that riverside development in England is incredibly popular and successful, becoming symbolic of the town.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

I like the FX proposal too.
That neo-Georgian building in England is only a few years old.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
Speak for yourself, I'd prefer something more respectful of Brooklyn Heights. And Brooklyn Heights is the most desirable neighborhood in Brooklyn, maybe because that's what people like. And that riverside development in England is incredibly popular and successful, becoming symbolic of the town.
There are three architectural styles I see in Brooklyn Heights. Modern (Ex. St. Francis College, Colonial (Ex. Houses along Brooklyn Promenade), and Art Deco (Ex. the visible Williamsburg Savings Bank). I don't think Georgian style is in Brooklyn Heights. So it won't fit in with the surroundings.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 7:57 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

o plz plz plz let it be dermot!

the other two are ok, just relatively dull.

the site deserves...demands more interesting, engaging and iconic and the big d is it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
There are three architectural styles I see in Brooklyn Heights. Modern (Ex. St. Francis College, Colonial (Ex. Houses along Brooklyn Promenade), and Art Deco (Ex. the visible Williamsburg Savings Bank). I don't think Georgian style is in Brooklyn Heights. So it won't fit in with the surroundings.
Maybe I wasn't being clear. I meant that a more traditional style, emblematic of Brooklyn Heights would be better, not unlike the Richmond development is for its region. There are much more than 3 styles of architecture in Brooklyn Heights (Federal, Colonial/Greek/Gothic/Renaissance/Romanesque/etc. Revival, Second Empire, etc. just to name a few). After all this is the neighborhood that spearheaded the brownstone revival in Brooklyn, and became a historic district--in opposition to the modern movement and "slum" clearance.

They should honor that heritage, instead of the rotting piers.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 2:11 AM
New Yorker for life

I don't think we need any throwbacks here. Something fresh, new, and exciting. We're building the New York of the new century after all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development