HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 7:19 PM

fireworks tonight!

Tonight ‪#‎downtown‬, Cirque du Soleil will light up the skies with a free fireworks presentation at the Plaza of Nations:
http://www.straight.com/arts/667331/...-plaza-nations

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 9:48 AM

erp

Last edited by logan5; Oct 11, 2014 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2014, 2:15 PM

post deleted

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:39 PM

New night market at the Plaza of Nations:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/04/p...ket-vancouver/

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 7:35 PM

Kinda interesting to hear the Ivanhoe on Main advertising on TSN 1040. Sign of the changing faces of the DTES.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 7:50 PM

I was in the Ivanhoe about a month ago, first time in about 10 years. Not much has changed from my view. Maybe it's the desperation of TSN 1040 for advertising.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 12:06 AM

I guess the Electric Owl on Main is dead. Noticed the forlease signs just yesterday, but apparently its been closed since at least mid August (going by their Facebook page). The Fox Cabaret runs similar programming in a better location, so that's probly a big part of why they closed down. Plus the street life destroying Viaducts are close by.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 3:12 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

*l* oh the gold that comes out of your mouth... The electric owl closed because of the Viaducts??? Guess Torafuku and Bodega didn't get the memo as they just moved into that soul sucking area and are doing great. Perhaps the Electric owl closed because it was poorly run. Was only successful in going there 3 out of at least 8 attempts as it was closed for no reason, or closed for a private gig on two occasisions. Great way to alienate your bread and butter local walk up crowd.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 6:17 AM

The viaduct, especially at night, make this part of Main a skechy area. That has to have an effect on surrounding businesses, especially a business that operates late at night.

Clearly I stated that a big part of why they closed down was because of the Fox Cabaret, who run similar shows as the Electric Owl. How did you miss that?

You can seriously tell me that the viaduct don't make the area around them sketchy at night?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2015, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Kinda interesting to hear the Ivanhoe on Main advertising on TSN 1040. Sign of the changing faces of the DTES.
I don't think the ivanhoe counts as dtes.

Also with regards to the electric owl, I actually live above it and since closing rents in my building have skyrocket up a few hundred dollars.

Edit: about the viaducts causing sketch. I disagree. The part south of the viaducts doesn't look even close to sketchy or run down like the parts north of it. Frankly the only part that does look sketchy is a few empty lots and the Cobalt.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 6:10 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post

Also with regards to the electric owl, I actually live above it and since closing rents in my building have skyrocket up a few hundred dollars.
interesting ... why is that do you think? the landlord is trying to make up some of the lost income? or that with no more loud music at night its more 'liveable' now and therefor he thinks he can get more for the units?

from what I heard the rent was skyhigh from day 1 for the EE space and they were never really turning a profit to pay off the substantial investment they put into the space. apparently there is a basement level and that was part of the reason the rent was so high as it's a large chunk of sq footage. They never opened up the planned back patio for example and the cold beer and wine store seemed poorly executed and didn't last long nor did the food service they offered.

That said I can see it being turned into a sizable restaurant space perhaps going with the trend in the immediate area.

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post

Edit: about the viaducts causing sketch. I disagree. The part south of the viaducts doesn't look even close to sketchy or run down like the parts north of it. Frankly the only part that does look sketchy is a few empty lots and the Cobalt.
the cobalt isn't that bad, its mostly a gay venue now isn't it? it was pretty hipster decor the last few times i went and was really busy, perhaps not pretty from the outside but the crowd going there has changed in recent years

Old Posted Sep 20, 2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
interesting ... why is that do you think? the landlord is trying to make up some of the lost income? or that with no more loud music at night its more 'liveable' now and therefor he thinks he can get more for the units?

from what I heard the rent was skyhigh from day 1 for the EE space and they were never really turning a profit to pay off the substantial investment they put into the space. apparently there is a basement level and that was part of the reason the rent was so high as it's a large chunk of sq footage. They never opened up the planned back patio for example and the cold beer and wine store seemed poorly executed and didn't last long nor did the food service they offered.

That said I can see it being turned into a sizable restaurant space perhaps going with the trend in the immediate area.
I liked the venue. It was fun and had a good atmosphere.

With regards to the rising rents in the residential units.

The american hotel was originally a drug infested Sro that was shut down in 2006.

The company who owns It now bought It and is trying to attract a younger demographic rather then historical residents in the dtes.

It's full of students and young minimum wage workers as well as artists (I play drums)

Each unit is small (between 150-250sq ft) with a bathroom and a fridge.

The units were originally priced between $400 and $800 per unit.

But they've renovated it further and raised the prices up to $900.

They are now adding kitchens to the units. My rent is locked in at $725 since I signed a lease. Originally they did month to month.

I get a view of part of downtown and I see the skytrain go by every few minutes I also have huge Windows.

The place is nice but you have to be a low maintenance person who thrives in small spaces.

I personally like the area and have been here a year now. I've seen it change so much in a positive direction.
I do miss the electric owl though.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 3:27 AM

I walked by the Yale today on Granville and saw that they seem to finally be getting ready to open again. There were lots of workers coming and going at the door on Drake. It sat for the longest time with for sale/lease signs in the windows I was starting to wonder if it would ever open again.

Oct.20 '15, my pics

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 5:19 AM

O my god. Granville Street is awesome. When's the Cecil Show Lounge re-opening?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 6:12 AM

For the records posting this also in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonemania View Post
This one seems to be making the rounds these days:

Video Link

I laughed.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 8:32 AM

Fifth Avenue Cinemas now serving alcohol, no kids allowed
Youth under 19 no longer allowed as theatre caters to a more mature crowd

Vancouver's Fifth Avenue Cinemas has joined the list of theatres serving alcohol to movie-goers, meaning youth under 19 are no longer allowed at one of the city's largest theatres.

The Burrard Street movie house, which was bought by Cineplex in 2013, unveiled its $2-million renovation Oct. 16, including a restaurant, bar, and high-backed leather seats in all theatres.

The result is adults-only, not just for service at the bar but for movies too.

"Families with children in Vancouver are more than welcome to visit one of our other five theatres in downtown Vancouver," said Sarah Van Lange, a communications director for Cineplex Entertainment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...ohol-1.3300175

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 9:52 AM

So strange IMO. In Japan you can drink beer at any theatre with children in the same theatre room.

Why is everything so bubble wrapped in Vancouver?

Kids can enter restaurants that serve alcohol.

I don't want to go to a night club / theatre in order to drink an overpriced beer while watching a movie, just a regular cinema setting.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 4:56 PM

Lol I don't think it's just a vancouver thing being bubble wrapped. But yes I agree it's bizzare. Why can't a kid beside an adult drinking a glass of wine in a theatre but it's ok in a restauraunt. What's the rationale behind that?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
Lol I don't think it's just a vancouver thing being bubble wrapped. But yes I agree it's bizzare. Why can't a kid beside an adult drinking a glass of wine in a theatre but it's ok in a restauraunt. What's the rationale behind that?
I believe the reason are the existing liquor codes. Generally there are Food Primary and Liquor Primary licences. Food Primary is for restaurants and cafes, etc..(this is where you have to have food in order to have a drink). Liquor Primary is like a bar or nightclub, where there is no requirement to have food in order to drink. I assume this theatre has a Liquor Primary because of the no minors

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment