HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 12:16 AM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
How many diverts has ABIA handled from Houston?
Very few. Flights were cancelled ahead of time or diverted somewhere else. It's been painfully slow because IAH and HOU we're stopped and closed respectively. HOU runways were under water for a day. Controllers couldn't get to the Tracon or Center because the access road was flooded.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:30 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCZERO View Post
Very few. Flights were cancelled ahead of time or diverted somewhere else. It's been painfully slow because IAH and HOU we're stopped and closed respectively. HOU runways were under water for a day. Controllers couldn't get to the Tracon or Center because the access road was flooded.
When do they plan to open the airport back up? Being overseas I'm limited to the news sites, so I've not seen anything on that. I would think it would help to get supplies there for relief efforts once cargo planes could land, etc... Have you heard anything on that, ATCZERO?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:42 AM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
When do they plan to open the airport back up? Being overseas I'm limited to the news sites, so I've not seen anything on that. I would think it would help to get supplies there for relief efforts once cargo planes could land, etc... Have you heard anything on that, ATCZERO?
There's a huge TFR (temporary flight restrictions) covering the greater Houston area to allow for SAR (search and rescue). Last I heard, IAH might open tomorrow at noon. HOU is open now but Southwest won't start flying until Saturday.

Both airports have been open to SAR only the last several days.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:12 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
There's a huge TFR (temporary flight restrictions) covering the greater Houston area to allow for SAR (search and rescue). Last I heard, IAH might open tomorrow at noon. HOU is open now but Southwest won't start flying until Saturday.

Thanks for the info!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 6:29 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Interesting and a little shocked it was so little. Saw a news segment where they were speaking with an airport official who said that ABIA is the main diversion port for Houston and that they were expecting quite a few diverts. Oh well, it was more of a curiosity than anything.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Yes, IAH is open tomorrow afternoon, but it's really limited. Called United yesterday to get my wife's flight rerouted because of it. She said there may be a plane or two that doesn't get cancelled, but don't expect any normalcy until this weekend at least. Ended up getting a flight to SAT and I'll just drive down and pick her up.

Last edited by jbssfelix; Aug 31, 2017 at 11:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 5:46 AM

C

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Cool cameras at the port. For those who want to follow the progress.

http://www.earthcam.net/projects/abi...?cam=cc4k2&fs=

Awesome, thanks for sharing.

Any idea what they're doing with all of the entry/exit ways on the arrivals floor? Just maintenance or anything exciting?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 4:53 PM

[QUOTE=Speculator;7909550]Awesome, thanks for sharing.

A

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 4:09 AM

For anyone who's interested in the progress of the 9 gate expansion, they're really coming along. Got some pictures yesterday:

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 4:33 AM
Meh

Man, those cranes were really posing for that 2nd photo. Impressive shot with the planes on the left and the structures and cranes above.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 2:33 PM

Thanks, Austin1971.

GREAT shots, Skylerspaeth

SIAP: the new Salt Lick is now open...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:08 PM

R

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Rumor DL will be announcing AMS later this year. We shall see. That would give AUS 4 TATL flights on 4 different airlines. Pretty unbelievable.

Thanks for the info, Austin1971.

Interesting. Hopefully one of their new A350's.

Any updates on an trans pac? Would love to get Tokyo or HK. Hainan seems to need a TX route and ventures into smaller markets over here.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 8:55 PM

Does anybody have current figures for passengers per day originating out of Austin for Asian destinations? I have been in a pissing match with some dude from Salt Lake City (and a big Delta Airline/Salt Lake City booster) who insists that Austin does not originate enough daily traffic (or business traffic, which is absurd) to warrant a trans Pacific flight, especially since we don't have any hub operation here. I think he is just upset because the Delta Salt Lake City hub still has no trans Pacific flights. I would love some good data on current traffic out of Austin to Asian destinations. Also, is there more information about Delta's plans at Bergstrom? He scoffed about "rumors" of a Japanese Airlines flight from Austin to Tokyo.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 9:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Does anybody have current figures for passengers per day originating out of Austin for Asian destinations? I have been in a pissing match with some dude from Salt Lake City (and a big Delta Airline/Salt Lake City booster) who insists that Austin does not originate enough daily traffic (or business traffic, which is absurd) to warrant a trans Pacific flight, especially since we don't have any hub operation here. I think he is just upset because the Delta Salt Lake City hub still has no trans Pacific flights. I would love some good data on current traffic out of Austin to Asian destinations. Also, is there more information about Delta's plans at Bergstrom? He scoffed about "rumors" of a Japanese Airlines flight from Austin to Tokyo.

I take it that your argument with this guy is on one of the airline forums? If so which one???

On a completely random note, I've been watching live news coverage out of Fort Myers Fl which is preparing for a likely direct hit by Irma and this news story popped up.

I just thought it was pretty funny considering it was specifically about Austin rather than people simply fleeing to anywhere.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I take it that your argument with this guy is on one of the airline forums? If so which one???

On a completely random note, I've been watching live news coverage out of Fort Myers Fl which is preparing for a likely direct hit by Irma and this news story popped up.

I just thought it was pretty funny considering it was specifically about Austin rather than people simply fleeing to anywhere.
Actually he latched on to me on about page 3 or 4 of the Amazon HQ2 thread when I suggested that Austin had ample domestic flights but could use (and rumors suggested we might be getting) a trans pacific flight. He was all over my "rumors" (his quotes, not mine) like a fly on you know what.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:50 PM
Air Traffic Controller

Quote:
Actually he latched on to me on about page 3 or 4 of the Amazon HQ2 thread when I suggested that Austin had ample domestic flights but could use (and rumors suggested we might be getting) a trans pacific flight. He was all over my "rumors" (his quotes, not mine) like a fly on you know what.
NYT did a piece about which metro met all of Amazon's requirements and Denver was their ultimate pick. Austin made it pretty far in their elimination process but lack of mass transit and bad traffic held us back in their assessment.

In unrelated news, the new water retention structure is operational and they've started demolition on the old one to make way for further ramp expansion near taxiway G1. Hurricane Harvey gave Austin it's slowest day ever (450ish ops tower and Tracon combined). The aftermath and clean up effort has also been driving our traffic waaaay up. September 1st was the 7th busiest ever. September 8th was the 8th busiest ever. The 6 days that were busier were all associated with F1 traffic. A lot of private pilots have been carrying supplies to hard hit areas which is amazing.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 8:29 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
I wouldn't worry too much about a schmo from SLC. They are still bitter about Delta's new Seattle hub (which took flights from SLC).

The potential of a DL (or KLM) flight to AMS is exciting! I too cannot wait for a TPac route! It will happen. It's just a matter of time.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 1:52 AM

Another passenger record set for July

I didn't see the airport totals for July on abia.org, but I did find them listed in the backup files for tomorrow's Airport Advisory Commission. Starts on Page 4.

July 2017 passenger totals were 1,310,174 - up 15.57% from July 2016.
Y-T-D 2017 passenger totals were 7,895,026 - up 10.29% from Y-T-D 2016.

I hadn't noticed this before, but on the pdf report which is the one in the backup files, they now break out totals for domestic and international passengers - both for the month and Y-T-D.

Domestic Passengers July 2017 - 1,270,10 up 15.36% from July 2016.

Domestic Passengers Y-T-D 2017 - 7,688,167 up 9.96% from 2016

International Passengers July 2017 - 40,073 up 22,74% from July 2016.

International passengers Y-T-D 2017 - 206,859 - up 24.12% from 2016.

It looks like in the backup files, several of the pages were posted twice, while other pages (like the one that breaks out totals by air carrier) were left out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin