HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:47 PM

Lightbulb Haunted Canada

With Halloween just weeks away I thought this might make for a fun new thread. Try and keep it to 1 story per post.

CHRISTIE MANSION As in Mr Christie you make good cookies!
Toronto, Ontario

source: https://househistree.com/houses/christie-mansion
Completed in 1881, for William Mellis Christie (1829-1900) and his wife, Mary Jane McMullen (1830-1909).
Situated on the corner of Queen's Park Crescent and Wellesley Street, if the stories are to be believed the mansion once concealed a dark secret resulting in in it being haunted today.
Having been a residence for female students at St, Michael's College for close to 80 years, since 2008 the University of Toronto has leased it to Regis College, the theological college affiliated to the university.

According to an urban legend, Robert was devoted to his wife but nonetheless he had a mistress with whom he became so infatuated that he smuggled her into the mansion to enjoy her at his own leisure.
He placed her in a room with a bathroom hidden by secret panels keeping her out of sight and sound right under the nose of his family. Food was brought to her by a paid-off servant, but she was unable
to leave and to make matters worse Robert eventually began to tire of her. Unvalued, unloved and unable to leave, his mistress apparently hung herself in her chambers and her ghost is said to still haunt the house:

They say that if you enter Room 29 all by yourself at night, the door will swing shut behind you. You will find it locked; nothing you can do will open it. And if there’s no one on the other side of the door to hear your screams,
you’ll be trapped all night, just like Robert Christie’s mistress all those years ago.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:52 PM
video et taceo

When I was a little kid, we visited Eldon House in London, Ontario, and I was told it was haunted and given a ghost tour brochure with a very frightening drawing on it.

This page warns that it is indeed a LEVEL 2 HAUNTING, so...

https://ghosts.fandom.com/wiki/Eldon_House

Our old house in the South End of Halifax was built on the site of an old, Colonial-era prison and neither my parents nor I liked being in the basement. At 13, of course, teenage autonomy-desire beat out ghost fears and I moved my room down there, but it had a very odd feel. My mother said she felt a pair of arms wrap around her once.

I guess my mom is a bit of a sensitive one, actually. Before we moved to the South End, she and my dad apparently looked at this house:

https://goo.gl/maps/BfJzmJFu6aR7VkGF9

It took five minutes upstairs for her to tell him that no, under no circumstances could we live there. Apparently it had just an awful feel, claustrophobic and fearful. A family friend told us that an Irish domestic servant was mistreated badly there back in the day, but that may just be neighbourhood folklore.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This is the best way to see the main ones here.

https://www.hauntedhike.com/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:48 PM

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:52 PM

I’ve also eaten at said haunted Keg multiple times, the most horrifying, gut churning, and terrifying thing there is the bill.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 8:54 PM
I am the law!

I grew up in a haunted house.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 2:08 AM

I used to believe in ghosts as a kid but now call bullshit to anything that is claimed to be haunted.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 4:08 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I grew up in a haunted house.
Care to elaborate?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 4:10 AM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
I’ve also eaten at said haunted Keg multiple times, the most horrifying, gut churning, and terrifying thing there is the bill.
The scariest thing about the haunted Keg looks like the shitty suburban style parking lot where I assume there was once nice landscaping.

Is the interior original or has it been Kegified?

Last edited by O-tacular; Oct 10, 2019 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 8:50 AM

The old Ottawa jail downtown which is now a Youth Hostel is said to be haunted as well as the Grande Theatre in London.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
The scariest thing about the haunted Keg looks like the shitty suburban style parking lot where I assume there was once nice landscaping.

Is the interior original or has it been Kegified?
Original, although the food is typical Keg (small and overpriced). You are right, the parking is nightmarish.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 1:10 PM

The Fort Garry Hotel has a reputation of being haunted. Room 202 in particular is considered to be haunted... don't ask me why.

Incidentally, the joint is up for sale in case any of you want to realize a long-held dream of owning a big old hotel in Winnipeg

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 5:32 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Care to elaborate?
I have so many times. It was a typical boring haunting.; the sound of footsteps at night in the upstair's hall,; a precense in parts of the house; a picture frame on a bookshelf knocked over every now and then; some tenants, pets and, guests freaking out; a general shape of shabbiness.

Things were constantly breaking down and the next few owners put a lot of effort in renovating it and it still looked shappy. They also shared our experiences.

I went to an open house in 2010. It was stunning. A haunting or bad foundation and multiple bad renovations, etc. ... whatever it was had been expunged.

As you can image, both my parents were pragmatic and frank. They didn't believe in anything they could not touch or see.This experience was enough for them to believe in dead people.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 6:07 PM

Not in Toronto but this building in East Peckham (Kent) England was in my family until the late 60s. It had 573 acres, 3 cottages, a gate house and a chapel. My great aunt sold it to the Harrier Krishna for only around 60,000 pounds. They abandoned it, George Harrison of the Beattle supposedly purchased it but it still sits neglected today. It had the ghost of a priest who hung himself it the attic that my Grandmother claims to have had many conversations with.

Also the grounds are supposed to be haunted by the Gate Keeper who was murdered protecting the property in the 1860's.

I wish it had stayed in the family and as the oldest Grandson it would have been willed to me with the stipulation I need to spend one night by myself alone to get it.

I only visited one time when I was 17 many many many years after it was no longer in the family.

Built in 1535
Roydon Hall, Kent by Hugo Agogo, on Flickr

Roydon Hall by Paul Grimwood, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:00 PM
I am the law!

That is an awesome estate.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:22 PM

Not a house, but mount royal holds the largest burial ground in north america so unsurprisingly theres lots of stories.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:43 PM

Lived on Salt Spring Island BC about 15 years ago {hence my name SSIGUY} in a house with a few other guys. There was a very well known haunted house on the island that was supposedly haunted by a large black woman, essentially the classic "Mammy" during slavery days. At the turn of the last century there were about 5 black families on SSI from the Old South who had fled Jim Crow and went to the PNW for relief. They apparently found things not much better particularily Oregon which apparently violently anti-black so headed to BC.

The black families all left SSI but one remains.........the Mammy. One of the guys I lived with was desperate for any work but the haunted house was the work assignment. He was relatively new on the island and had never heard of the haunted house or the Mammy. Just 3 hours later he returned to the house as white as a sheet and very agitated. He said he saw a ghost of an old big black women with an apron who looked like the one from Gone With The Wind wielding a knife. He never went back to the work even to get his 3 hours pay which he desperately needed. True story.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 11:10 PM

The Mammy sounds terrifying but I bet she's nice.

I should have also said to post any UFO and cryptozoology stories here.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:59 PM

When the Mammy is weilding a knife, I bet she isn't very "nice".

Just for you info, ther caricature of the old, happy, and likeable Mammy as seen thru films like Gone With The Wind is a false narrative. It is a caricature that the White Southerns liked to portray to show their slaves as happy and well cared for which still, unfortunately, languishes to this day. The reality is that the Mammy of the "big house" was universally hated and feared by the other house slaves just as the junior black overseerers on the fields who would do much of the whippings to the field hands were hated by them.

The Mammy was responsible for the overall running of the house which the Mistress demanded be perfect and hence would hand out savage beatings against other house slaves for any infraction or resistance that could jeopordize her relatively priveledged status.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
When the Mammy is weilding a knife, I bet she isn't very "nice".
What if she was just cutting up some meat for dinner?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada