HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:32 AM

When I had a 7th floor apt. at 316 Oak Grove St., back in 1972, with a view of downtown/Loring Park, I used to fantasize like crazy about playing Master Builder back then, and I envisioned, one day, Loring park being ringed with high rises, and yes, it's nice to finally see, after a long hiatus, a high rise go up around Loring Park, it would have been a bit sweeter if they had built this 36 story apt. building right across from the Park instead.

I'm guessing that the buildings along the 15th street side of the park, and the east side have probably ended up on the Historic Register, which explains why my dream has, and never will, be realized for the Loring park area.

I believe the last time, 5 years ago, I swooped around my old neighborhood, there was still a single family house along 15th St. across from the park. Obviously it must have some historic value or it would have disappeared long ago.

At any rate, it's still worth celebrating!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 5:58 AM
Architecture/Engineering

The Minneapolis Interchange - which will eventually be the intersection of 5 rail lines and a major bicycle highway - is under construction. The real news is that the Interchange will now be expanded to become "Minnesota's version of a Grand Central Station" with the newly approved addition of a park, 65,000 sq.ft. public plaza, retail stores and a jumbo video screen. It will be the hub of Minneapolis' burgeoning North Loop neighborhood.

It will be called (what else???) "Target Field Station."

It will incorporate the new HQ of the Met Transit Police and have air rights available for new office space. It is scheduled to open next year in time for the MLB All-Star Game.

Image and complete story from the StarTribune:

Construction Aerial:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 6:38 AM

Hopefully, in a few years, maybe we'll see some high-rises in the Downtown again! This is going to be a population generator for Minneapolis... and St. Paul. Hopefully, the exodus of business and residents will finally stop and reverse itself!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 4:40 AM
Architecture/Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
Hopefully, in a few years, maybe we'll see some high-rises in the Downtown again! This is going to be a population generator for Minneapolis... and St. Paul. Hopefully, the exodus of business and residents will finally stop and reverse itself!
The "exodus" reversed several years ago. Minneapolis' population of 382,000 in 2010 expanded to 393,000 in 2 years. It should be well above 400,000 in 2014 for that little city of 58
square miles. St. Paul went from 285,000 to 291,000 in the same time frame.

Both of the two core cities are doing well.

Last edited by Avian001; Sep 16, 2013 at 5:01 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 6:07 AM

^ Good News! ^ I knew it was getting better. 400k+ I would think would be a very easy goal....especially if jobs can be retained. IMO

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 7:48 PM
Architecture/Engineering

The presentation of the three finalists for the re-design of Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis took place last night (Sept. 17th) at the Guthrie Theater.

The mile-long transit mall is Minneapolis' "Main Street." The three finalists are:

Daoust Lestage from Montreal.
James Corner Field Operations (designer of the Highline in NYC and Navy Pier in Chicago)
Tom Leader Studio of Berkeley, CA

The massive presentation can be seen in its entirety here.

EDIT/UPDATE: James Corner Field Operations has been selected as the winner.

Last edited by Avian001; Sep 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 6:56 PM
Architecture/Engineering

The Minneapolis City Council has unanimously endorsed the streetcar "starter line" along the Nicollet-Hennepin-Central Av corridor. The $200 million line will begin at Lake Street & Nicollet, then run north along the Nicollet Mall, cross the river on the Hennepin Avenue bridge and terminate at 5th Street NE. This 1st phase is 3.4 miles in length.

The PDF presentation is here, complete with diagrams and images.

The story from MinnPost.

The line will eventually run from 46th Street South to 41st Street NE:

Image from the PDF Presentation.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 6:53 AM

I don't think this is money well spent!! It will not move a fraction of the people that they claim it will.... Let's be real, I feel this is a show piece for Rybak. There are two large corporations looking for a new home. One of them is ADM, and yes they'll probably choose Chicago, but Rybak to my knowledge hasn't done enough to lure or help Any company to the city. Sales Belton did miserably in retaining businesses in Minneapolis.... IMO

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 5:22 PM

Are you kidding? SAYLES Belton was instrumental in the retention and expansion of many companies downtown, including Target, US Bank, and Amex (later Ameriprise).

As for the streetcar...it is pretty widely agreed upon that more permanent modes of transportation (LRT, Streetcars) drive devlopment/density along their routes...a bus line does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post

Actually, you don't really seem to know much about Minneapolis...there really hasn't been any major "exodus" of residents from Minneapolis in decades...the population decline stopped in the early to mid 80s when the population bottomed out around 368k, has been stable or rising since....I see someone else already pointed that out. Also, there are residential high rises under construction downtown now, and it has only been around 10 years since the last major office high rise opened...not that long of a gap in office construction for a mid sized city really. You seem to have a pretty negative and in most cases false idea of how the city is in your head. You are pretty much the only one that replies here, usually with misinformation, so not sure why myself and others keep responding. lol

Last edited by MNMike; Sep 26, 2013 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2013, 10:03 PM

MNMike: I realize there hasn't been a population exodus from the city for quite a while. What I was implying was that without the addition of jobs, it's going to be difficult (in my opinion) to keep the population growing. And Sayles Belton presided over several of the most violent destructive years in the city.... I highly doubt that can be a positive for business retention! What about the drop-out rate of Minneapolis public school system, it's one of the worst in the country and still is? But that's just my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 1:30 AM

Once again, you are off the mark. Sharon took office when the crime rate was spiking...many attribute the drop in those rates to her and police chief olson's leadership. By the end of her term, crime rates had dropped very significantly. In addition, the most recent office building boom in Minneapolis took place during Sayles Belton's terms, when 4 high rise, and 2 mid rise buildings were completed in the core over about a 3-4 year period. Not saying she was the best mayor or anything...but she did bring job growth and lower crime rates to Minneapolis during her terms.

Speaking of this job growth you say apparently isn't happening....

Minneapolis tops the nation, I guess:

http://www.rejournals.com/2013/08/20...in-job-growth/

That of course refers to the metro as a whole...but Minneapolis is the largest employment center in the metro, and job growth is strong. Just sayin'

Schools still need work, but graduation rates are up, actually.

Anyway, enough off topic, sorry. I will give the thread back to the others now

Last edited by MNMike; Sep 27, 2013 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 4:53 AM

MNMike: Hey, I'm not trying to start a whole big thing here... so have a good one!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 6:00 AM

I lived in Minneapolis (9/1972-6/1993), and was able to witness much of the skyline growth during that period and it was very exciting to witness, as I last lived in a condo in Elliot Park, earlier at Cedar Square West and Loring Park. And I'm saddened it took so long for Minneapolis to embrace light rail/streetcars, as I'm not there to enjoy it now! I recall their talking abut a light rail line to St. Paul, way-way back in the 70's!

I do remember the hair-pulling frustration, back then, with the Nimby's in that city, starting with the halting of the construction of the next 9 phases of Cedar Square West, having gone to a number of city council meetings, and the population growth of Minneapolis will always be impeded/slowed by their Nimby's, whether it be Cedar Riverside, Loring, Phillips, the Wedge, Uptown or the Calhoun/Isles contingent.

But perhaps there's more hope with the Millenium generation getting into power there, who, hopefully, won't be so anti-density.

I never thought I'd live to see the day that there'd be a big housing construction boom in San Francisco, with their notorious Nimby's, and if it can happen in San Francisco it can happen in Minneapolis.

I'm guessing there are any number of suburbanites who would move to Minneapolis, but not downtown Minneapolis, if there were some more mid or high rises around Calhoun, Lake of the Isles or even Lake Harriet. Yes? No?

Last edited by IMBY; Sep 27, 2013 at 6:10 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 6:57 AM

IMBY: I'm inclined to agree with what you said! My original thought was the street-car transit line was in my opinion "money not well spent"! But maybe I'm wrong.... but the fact remains without an increase of jobs in the city... the city, than the city will have very little ability to grow, thus making it very difficult to pay for these amenities (LRT, street cars, parks ect.). You have to admit this is a pretty aggressive transit plan and possibly/maybe too expensive for a city the size of Minneapolis. Along with that, the assimilation of many immigrants and the problems both social/fiscal it's caused in the school system. So what's happened over the past 15 years or so is property taxes have increased quite dramatically along with business fees, regulations, ect. I'm sure no expert... just some concerns. Rant over.... LOL!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2013, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I do remember the hair-pulling frustration, back then, with the Nimby's in that city, starting with the halting of the construction of the next 9 phases of Cedar Square West, having gone to a number of city council meetings, and the population growth of Minneapolis will always be impeded/slowed by their Nimby's, whether it be Cedar Riverside, Loring, Phillips, the Wedge, Uptown or the Calhoun/Isles contingent.
Ugh, I just need to stay out of this thread. Those "Nimby's" stopping the other phases of Cedar/Riverside is possibly one of the best things that ever happened associated with the word nimby. It would be a giant slum now. We are so lucky only one phase was built. But yes, the anti density contigent can be irritating anywhere...that is true! Sometimes they have valid points...often not. Lately, the density has been winning out. We actually had a situation recently where a Trader Joes was blocked from building in the Wedge neighborhood, because they only wanted to build a one story building with surface parking. The neighborhood/city said they needed more density, and it failed. Also, a group in Dinkytown recently failed at blocking a 6 story development on a surface lot there...so things like that are encouraging. That said...there certainly are situations where the neighborhood is right about development...for example(as you brought up), Lake of the Isles and Lake Harriet should never ever have mid or high rises around them! Not the place. Anyway, if you folks have't already, I encourage you to check out urbanmsp.com, there you can see pretty much every development going on in the city, including the thousands of units of apartments currently underway all over.

As for tallbob, I see when I bring up points with facts to back them up that are opposite of what you say, you are out! You have a good one too!

Last edited by MNMike; Sep 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 7:06 AM

I see someone from ADM, after getting temporarily snubbed from the state house in Illinois over getting a subsidy to stay there, was talking to Minneapolis officials about hopefully a move to Minneapolis. Several other cities on the list, Chicago of course, St. Louis. It would be a nice fit for ADM.... with Cargill & General Mills in the same area!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 9:10 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Minneapolis is one of the three finalists for the 2018 Super Bowl, which would be held in the not-yet-under-construction Vikings stadium. The other finalists are Indianapolis and New Orleans.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike View Post
Ugh, I just need to stay out of this thread. Those "Nimby's" stopping the other phases of Cedar/Riverside is possibly one of the best things that ever happened associated with the word nimby. It would be a giant slum now. We are so lucky only one phase was built. But yes, the anti density contigent can be irritating anywhere...that is true! Sometimes they have valid points...often not. Lately, the density has been winning out. We actually had a situation recently where a Trader Joes was blocked from building in the Wedge neighborhood, because they only wanted to build a one story building with surface parking. The neighborhood/city said they needed more density, and it failed. Also, a group in Dinkytown recently failed at blocking a 6 story development on a surface lot there...so things like that are encouraging. That said...there certainly are situations where the neighborhood is right about development...for example(as you brought up), Lake of the Isles and Lake Harriet should never ever have mid or high rises around them! Not the place. Anyway, if you folks have't already, I encourage you to check out urbanmsp.com, there you can see pretty much every development going on in the city, including the thousands of units of apartments currently underway all over.
I asked one of my former co-workers who lives out in Apple Valley one time:

What would it take for you to give up your suburban lifestyle to move to downtown Minneapolis? And she said not even offering her a free condo loft would do the trick! No appeal whatsoever!

Alright then! How about retiring to a condo in a mid-rise or high-rise facing Calhoun, Harriet or Lake of the Isles, if they were to be created? And she said that would be more than tempting!

And you wonder how many out there in Suburbia would also be tempted, likewise!

The issue here, from a pervious thread I read, is how to increase the population of the city of Minneapolis. It could be achieved, but we all know how sacred the lakes are to Minneapolitans, so there's one route to increased population that could be taken, but will never be taken or considered.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 6:11 AM

Avion001: I saw that yesterday in the "Strib". It looks like Ziggy might have to dole out a little more cash! ..Even though it would only amount to a couple hundred Corporate and later IT jobs, The fact that ADM was even talking to Minneapolis leaders about moving their headquarters, is somewhat encouraging!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 9:55 PM
Architecture/Engineering

Sherman Associates has closed on its financing of the new City View Apartment complex in the North Loop. This building will be located on the site of the stalled Reserve Condo building. The abandoned foundation will be demolished to make way for new construction. The building will house 140 units and construction will commence immediately.

Image from Sherman Associates.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest