HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:53 AM

[QUOTE=GaylordWilshire;6565695]Don't think we've met sweet little Lola Titus before....

Black Dahlia in Hollywood

25 years old!

Wanted to be a strip tease queen!

Rumored to have murdered the Black Dahlia!

Wow!

BTW - Nice work on the J.W. Frey sign.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
This picture of Hollywood/Cherokee must've been taken around the same time as those posted by Martin Pal. USC dates it at circa 1936/1958. The same picture can be found at hollywoodphotographs.com where it's dated 1937.

USC Digital Library

Here's a close-up of the box on the roof. It appears to have a ladder and hatch at the rear, but otherwise I'm none the wiser. The sign on the corner of the building states that the "owner will erect new building".

Detail of picture above.

Rear screen projection for a moving advertisement?

The roof structure is certainly imposing, but it may still have been mostly a hollow shell, that could easily accommodate projection equipment. The "picture framing" seems to lend itself to a performance or moving advertisement that needed protection from the weather or unwanted interlopers. An attempt to gain attention by an owner keen to develop in a poor real estate market ????

On an unrelated subject, it has been claimed that the first hotel in San Fernando Valley was the Hotel Cecil, owned by Mrs. Cecil Wilcox. Curious if "Cecil" is short for "Cecilia" of if "Cecil" was Mr. Wilcox's first name. If it is the former, makes one wonder if another Hotel Cecil, with an infamous water tank, should have received a different feminine pronunciation. Could the two establishments be related? The later, on Main Street, was built in '27. For unknown reason, I always assumed the Main Street-Cecil was based on a last name.

http://waterandpower.org/1%20Histori...otel_Cecil.jpg

No apparent relation to the Wilcox Bldg. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/1981/rec/1 http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3036 Interesting remains of the Wilcox: http://urbandiachrony.wordpress.com/...ets-1924-2013/

Last edited by Tourmaline; May 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post

The roof structure is certainly imposing, but it may still have been mostly a hollow shell, that could easily accommodate projection equipment. The "picture framing" seems to lend itself to a performance or moving advertisement that needed protection from the weather or unwanted interlopers. An attempt to gain attention by an owner keen to develop in a poor real estate market ????
So far this idea has been the one most offered. Although, for the time, you'd think more might have been made of the idea so that we'd know about it...seems to me, but you never know.

It also might help if we knew exactly what business it was related to, The Jade, The Virginia, etc. Maybe it was the real estate developer... It seems likely that whatever it was it was related to advertising as it's angled toward the oncoming traffic in the street below.

I've never seen one in a photo before. Curious.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:49 PM

Quote:

On an unrelated subject, it has been claimed that the first hotel in San Fernando Valley was the Hotel Cecil, owned by Mrs. Cecil Wilcox. Curious if "Cecil" is short for "Cecilia" of if "Cecil" was Mr. Wilcox's first name. If it is the former, makes one wonder if another Hotel Cecil, with an infamous water tank, should have received a different feminine pronunciation. Could the two establishments be related? The later, on Main Street, was built in '27. For unknown reason, I always assumed the Main Street-Cecil was based on a last name.

http://waterandpower.org/1%20Histori...otel_Cecil.jpg

No apparent relation to the Wilcox Bldg. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/1981/rec/1 http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3036 Interesting remains of the Wilcox: http://urbandiachrony.wordpress.com/...ets-1924-2013/
Cecil Wilcox was the husband and his wife's given name was Clara. They appear in the censuses. He owned a furniture/book store and was apparently the publisher of a San Fernando Valley newspaper "The Lankershim Laconic" While it is not mentioned in the censuses, a newspaper article in the early 1950's promoting a "pioneer picnic" in Toluca/Lankershim, lists her as a widow who was the owner of the hotel. The water and power website has a date on the picture of 1888 but this cannot be correct since Cecil was born in 1876. Clara (Hoegerman) and Cecil were married in 1897 in Los Angeles County. Cecil had died in 1933. Clara died in 1958. Ancestry.com has a picture of Clara and her sister Rose.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 10:30 PM

Thanks MP and OS for the follow-ups.

Could the box be a "sanitary outdoor bedroom" as advertised by the Hotel Cecil?

As OS noted, 1888 date was provided by the source. Some of the dress seems to be from a later period, but difficult (for me ) to tell. Noticed a sign on the right of the building remincent of a telephone advert, but image is likewise not that clear. AAA? Free Color TV?

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 12:35 AM
Fourth and Main

I see something inside that looks like a screen angled downward, to be viewed from the sidewalk/street? It also has a metal bar a quarter of the way down from the top? It is likely projection. Having it inside a deep box, painted black inside, would make it viewable during the day, in the bright sun. The ladder would likely lead to the projection equipment behind the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 12:46 AM
I Like Turtles!

High-Class Camping?

Quote:
"Sanitary Outdoor Bedrooms?" What an amazing idea! It looks as if the accommodations on the 2nd floor are basic bedrooms with roll-up curtains to an outer deck. Kind of an outdoor camping experience with indoor comforts. What a wonderful way for travelers from other climates to enjoy sunny southern California. The best of both worlds, you might say. I wish places like this existed today. Or do they? Maybe I'm just behind the times. Does anyone here know of any other indoor/outdoor motel/hotels? Honestly, I am completely gobsmacked by the ingenuity!

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 2:08 PM

Some cool stuff about turning LA into NYC in the 20's movie business over on ladailymirror.com

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:20 PM

218-222 N. Main Street - The Lanfranco Building.

Circa 1920
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics18/00018815.jpg

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
"Sanitary Outdoor Bedrooms?" What an amazing idea! It looks as if the accommodations on the 2nd floor are basic bedrooms with roll-up curtains to an outer deck. Kind of an outdoor camping experience with indoor comforts. What a wonderful way for travelers from other climates to enjoy sunny southern California. The best of both worlds, you might say. I wish places like this existed today. Or do they? Maybe I'm just behind the times. Does anyone here know of any other indoor/outdoor motel/hotels? Honestly, I am completely gobsmacked by the ingenuity!

Speaking of outdoor bedrooms . . .

Sad reminder: "Weekly sanitary inspection is held as housewives pull their cots out between the barracks at Santa Anita Race Track on June 25, 1942."

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics48/00043922.jpg

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 4:42 PM
Comfortably Numb

Fixed

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:43 PM
Dallas, TX

[QUOTE=FredH;6566239]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Don't think we've met sweet little Lola Titus before....

Black Dahlia in Hollywood

25 years old!

Wanted to be a strip tease queen!

Rumored to have murdered the Black Dahlia!

Wow!

BTW - Nice work on the J.W. Frey sign.
Looks better with dark hair (if that is her):
LAPL

Fainting:
LAPL

She was found insane and sentenced to Patton State Hospital, where she died in 1958. She was from Bucks County, Pennsylvania (1930 Census).

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:44 PM
Dallas, TX

Gypsies arrested for robbery (Hollywood Station), 1951

Gypsies arrested for robbery (Hollywood Station), June 30, 1951. Frank Lee -- 50 years; Mada Lee -- 50 years; Leura Lee -- 18 years; Detective Mike Hunt.
USC

Leura Lee
USC

USC

USC

They certainly had nice clothes. I wonder about the particulars of the case?

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

... Detective Mike Hunt.

USC
Is this the guy that Pee Wee Morris asked Wendy about in Porky's?
I bet his colleagues never teased him about his name.

------------------

Graybeard, nice work with Photoshop. The box on the roof reminded me of an old monitor too, but I never thought to add the keyboard and mouse.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 8:12 PM

As often happens, I found this building by chance while I was searching the USCDL for something else. Dated 1931, this first picture shows the Fred C Wood Building and car dealership. The sign on the front wall says DeSoto, but the other advertisements are for the new Hudson Greater 8 and Essex Super Six.

USC Digital Library

I thought the building had gone when I typed the address from the USC description into Google Maps and got a parking lot. Then I recognized the building in the background and moved my little Google man a hundred yards south. I won't say I'm crazy about the color scheme or window treatment, but it's still there as the Western Discount Store.

GSV

The second picture in the set shows an empty car lot and a sign for the Pellissier Square Garage (which was fireproof and offered 24 hour service).

USC Digital Library

It turns out that this was the parking lot I found when I first typed in the 808 S Western Avenue address. The structure with the Pellissier Square Garage sign has gone (something was there until about 2005), but the main building remains. It's now known as the IB Plaza.

GSV

This is the last picture in the set, and shows the used car dept.

USC Digital Library

For this one I had to look just around the corner on W 9th Street. This part of the building has had similar treatment to the one on Western, but again appears to be intact otherwise.

GSV

The overhead view seems to suggest a right of way between the garage and the dealership. Looking at Historic Aerials, it has been used for parking since 1948, so did it ever have streetcars running through?

Google Earth

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:01 AM

A week or two ago I posted a picture of the Herald Express Building on Georgia Street while we were discussing the streetcar barn opposite (see here). Here's a better picture of the building taken during a strike in 1946.

eBay

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:17 AM

don't know if anyone ever responded to this but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
In the past we discussed the north portal at Sunset Blvd., but I don't think we ever found a good shot of it:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12088
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12092
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12094

MR posted (http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=13337) a photo showing the tunnel portal from above; it's at the bottom, just left of center, below large empty area on Ft. Moore Hill and to the right of the angled Sunset Blvd./Hill St. intersection:

aerial looking southeast across fort moore hill, ca,1939

ProphetM zoomed in on that photo and outlined the tunnel portal:

Now, thanks to Longrifle's heads-up, here's a shot of the sealed-off north portal from July 1, 1958, with a Mt. Lowe ghost ad to the right along with the Hill Street/Sunset intersection:

Huntington Digital Library -- http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single.../id/7933/rec/3
here's a pretty nice shot of the north portal although it suffers from being too close in and lacks any visual context. Still it's all we've got...

North Portal of Hill Street tunnel, no. 2, 1909

This not the P&E tunnel at Beverly Boulevard (which didn't open until 1926). Nor is this the trolley side (west side) of the double Hill Street tunnel at Temple Street. If this were the trolley side of Hill Street no. 1, the retaining wall on the right would angle downward and both the retaining wall and the top of the portal itself would be capped by a concrete balustrade. This a rare image of the north portal of Hill Street tunnel no. 2 where it emerges from Fort Moore Hill at Sunset Boulevard. Photograph likely taken on September 15, 1909, declared 'Tunnel Day' by the city fathers to celebrate the opening of the tunnel and rail service to more directly serve Hollywood and the Westside.

LAPL

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:25 AM

The seller on ebay lists this as Pasadena 1912, bridge over arroyo.

ebay

but the reverse says something about a Mt. Jumbo.

...the only Mt. Jumbo I could located is in Montana...near Missoula.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 8, 2014 at 2:38 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:41 AM

Have we seen the Hotel Ryan before?

ebay
__

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:48 AM

I recently found this fantastic view of the Sunkist Building on ebay.

ebay

The Edison Building is at far right..with the Engstrum Apartments in between. (why the 'blacked out' billboard on the Engstrum?)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 8, 2014 at 3:17 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos