HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 5:57 PM

New Flyer

I'll bet that New Flyer stock is undervalued. It's only traded on the TSX and should be on NYSE or Nasdaq. All the other EV stocks go through the roof with just a prototype. New Flyer has been selling EVs since 2014. Now they have level 4 autonomous.

Xcelsior AV

https://insideevs.com/news/483472/ne...d-transit-bus/

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
I'll bet that New Flyer stock is undervalued. It's only traded on the TSX and should be on NYSE or Nasdaq. All the other EV stocks go through the roof with just a prototype. New Flyer has been selling EVs since 2014. Now they have level 4 autonomous.

Xcelsior AV

https://insideevs.com/news/483472/ne...d-transit-bus/
1. New Flyer isn't an EV company. It would be akin to Honda or Toyota announcing an EV.
2. New Flyer as an established company pays out regular dividends, Tesla et al do not.
3. What fundamentals are you basing undervaluation on? Announcing an EV and stock price mot soaring isn't any sort of undervaluation metric that I've ever heard of.
4. Tesla is widely considered overvalued.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
1. New Flyer isn't an EV company. It would be akin to Honda or Toyota announcing an EV.
2. New Flyer as an established company pays out regular dividends, Tesla et al do not.
3. What fundamentals are you basing undervaluation on? Announcing an EV and stock price mot soaring isn't any sort of undervaluation metric that I've ever heard of.
4. Tesla is widely considered overvalued.

You're comparing apples and oranges.
Companies in the EV space should be valued generously to reflect the value of the innovation and commitment to zero emissions. The valuation ensures their success and allows them to access enough money to scale up even faster and speed up the transition to zero emission. The recent news of Level 4 autonomy is also every impressive.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 7:20 PM

I could be wrong but my understanding is that New Flyer isn't designing and developing the EV or autonomous components themselves but rather is adapting the work from other companies for use in transit buses. Also being exclusively focused on transit buses makes New Flyer a smaller niche player than say Tesla. A further challenge New Flyer faces is the "Buy American" push. Yes, they have US manufacturing but will they benefit from the directives to buy American and go fully EV? It's hard to predict and they could end up being a loser here, especially if they are shut out of the American market.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 4:26 AM

“ 4. Tesla is widely considered overvalued”

I bought last year and this is not advise. Hedge funds have been betting against Tesla since it began saying its over valued. Within a few weeks Biden is expected to reimplement the $7500 subsidies for electric cars. It seems obvious TSLA is going to spike any day now. Many TSLA buyers want to help Tesla beat the big oil companies and seriously cut carbon emissions. Will it turn out to be a squeeze like GameStop/AMC? I don’t think so because Tesla keeps delivering. 500,000 cars 2020. With two new plants online they probably hit 1000000 in 2021. Each plant is already being expanded.

And Tesla is more than a car company. It’s an AI company. It’s an energy company and an autonomous vehicle company.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 3:57 PM

Quote:
“ 4. Tesla is widely considered overvalued”

I bought last year and this is not advise. Hedge funds have been betting against Tesla since it began saying its over valued. Within a few weeks Biden is expected to reimplement the $7500 subsidies for electric cars. It seems obvious TSLA is going to spike any day now. Many TSLA buyers want to help Tesla beat the big oil companies and seriously cut carbon emissions. Will it turn out to be a squeeze like GameStop/AMC? I don’t think so because Tesla keeps delivering. 500,000 cars 2020. With two new plants online they probably hit 1000000 in 2021. Each plant is already being expanded.

And Tesla is more than a car company. It’s an AI company. It’s an energy company and an autonomous vehicle company.
It's going to spike based on what? It's market prices isn't based on any fundamentals. For the sake of argument say it is fairly priced, some Biden introduction of a subsidy isn't going to affect it's price because that would already be reflected in its pricing. Expansion of plants is already reflected in the price. Its not like you have some hot inside information that the general market doesn't know about. You seem to lack some understanding of how capital markets work.

Tesla sold 500,000 cars in 2020. Global auto sales were 60 million. So Teslas share of the market was less than 1%. Tesla's market cap is more than the top ten automakers in the world combined. Thats justifiable? Even if you're of opinion that EVs are going to in the near future take over the market, Tesla is not the only player in the space, and conventional automakers are introducing more and more EVs every year. Tesla's market share of EVs is going to go down. In 2020 VW EV's outsold Tesla in western Europe, and VW sold half as many EVs worldwide as Tesla (Tesla market cap is 10 times that of VW, when it only sold twice as many EVs and a fraction of as many overall vehicles). It's highly likely that Tesla sales will be passed in China by domestic EV brands in 2021.

You don't seem to base your valuations of stock on anything other than EVs are good. Tesla does more than EVs. So? Why does that justify their stock price? Have you looked at their balance sheet? Tesla's trailing PE is 171.6 vs domestic auto makers ~15. How is that justifiable? Is your valuation based on any fundamentals of the company? Any future projections? What is your valuation based on? Saying EVs are good for the environment isn't the basis of any valuation.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
It's going to spike based on what? It's market prices isn't based on any fundamentals. For the sake of argument say it is fairly priced, some Biden introduction of a subsidy isn't going to affect it's price because that would already be reflected in its pricing. Expansion of plants is already reflected in the price. Its not like you have some hot inside information that the general market doesn't know about. You seem to lack some understanding of how capital markets work.

Tesla sold 500,000 cars in 2020. Global auto sales were 60 million. So Teslas share of the market was less than 1%. Tesla's market cap is more than the top ten automakers in the world combined. Thats justifiable? Even if you're of opinion that EVs are going to in the near future take over the market, Tesla is not the only player in the space, and conventional automakers are introducing more and more EVs every year. Tesla's market share of EVs is going to go down. In 2020 VW EV's outsold Tesla in western Europe, and VW sold half as many EVs worldwide as Tesla (Tesla market cap is 10 times that of VW, when it only sold twice as many EVs and a fraction of as many overall vehicles). It's highly likely that Tesla sales will be passed in China by domestic EV brands in 2021.

You don't seem to base your valuations of stock on anything other than EVs are good. Tesla does more than EVs. So? Why does that justify their stock price? Have you looked at their balance sheet? Tesla's trailing PE is 171.6 vs domestic auto makers ~15. How is that justifiable? Is your valuation based on any fundamentals of the company? Any future projections? What is your valuation based on? Saying EVs are good for the environment isn't the basis of any valuation.
All your points are valid and shared by analysts and hedge funds betting against Tesla. The valuation guarantees they are capitalized to keep delivering. The naysayers were wrong in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020. When are they going to be right? Go ahead and invest in oil related industries, they have been doing great for a hundred years.

Last edited by eman; Feb 7, 2021 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 9:26 PM

What does it cost to charge your battery at one of charging stations at Polo Park or at the Prawda Shell?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
What does it cost to charge your battery at one of charging stations at Polo Park or at the Prawda Shell?
From the Birchwood Credit site March 6 2020

CF POLO PARK – 1485 PORTAGE AVENUE
If you’re stopping at the mall, why not charge up your EV? This is known as the Winnipeg Supercharger station as they have eight level 3 Tesla Supercharger ports, all free to use. The Tesla ports are located in the parking section behind Earls. There are also the following EV ports located in the parkade in front of the Starbucks entrance: J1772, CCS/SAE and CHAdeMO. The level 2 chargers cost $1.50 per hour and if you want fast-charging, it’ll cost you $20 per hour (but parking is free).

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:38 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

My son and 4 of his friends drove to Nipigon this past summer in his Tesla. The trip was 2 hours longer than it would have taken in a gas car. Pretty sure the cost for charging goes by the kwh and not by the hour, and they did use all Tesla superchargers. He said there were almost twice as many superchargers along the route as were needed, probably to accomodate travellers joining thd TCH.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
I drove to Calgary and back plus all the driving in Calgary using Tesla Superchargers and it cost $110(Tesla Model3). One hotel we stayed at had a free level 2 charger. Fast chargers are more expensive as the same amount of electricity at home is less. Each stop at a Supercharger was between $6 and $12. Though I live in condo and I am able to plug in as part of my condo fees, so it basically free. Level 2 chargers like the ones at Ikea and the Forks are often free.

Another thing, fast charging time varies depending on how full the battery is. Near empty its way faster and slows way down getting close to full. If you want to save time you would stop to charge when near empty and charge just enough to get t the next charger in stead of driving your full range and charging to 100%. On road trips I prefer to stop more often for less time and get out of the car to walk and explore/eat.

Also,, all Tesla's now have Autopilot, which is advanced cruise control with steering/braking and collision avoidance. The sensors can see 2 cars ahead and will brake even before you notice what's going on. In bumper to bumper traffic it feels effortless,, what's the opposite of white knuckle driving? The car does most of the driving, I just monitor things and take over if it get confused when the lines are missing like in a construction zone or lane changes. The more advanced AI based Full Self Driving is still in beta and costs an extra $10600. FSD will eventually get you to and from your destination without intervention.

Last edited by eman; Feb 6, 2021 at 2:56 PM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 3:42 PM

Quote:
The more advanced AI based Full Self Driving is still in beta and costs an extra $10600. FSD will eventually get you to and from your destination without intervention.
That's awesome, I didn't realize it was so far along.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 2:13 PM

Watch TSLA today. OMG,, you will see. $852 at Fridays close. All time high closing price is $883. News hits before market that Tesla will accept Bitcoin and bought $1.5 billion worth.

Last edited by eman; Feb 8, 2021 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 5:48 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Watch TSLA today. OMG,, you will see. $852 at Fridays close. All time high closing price is $883. News hits before market that Tesla will accept Bitcoin and bought $1.5 billion worth.
If you pay attention to stocks, all the crypto ETFs and funds are spiking today. Good play short or long IMO since cryptos, although largely useless as actual currency are a really good money's storage vessel. They'll get more stable with time. Bitcoin is probably the best since it's finite.

As for TSLA, their stock will probably have a small bump from this, but most of the future growth potential is already priced into the stock price. If they manage to deliver fully autonomous vehicles anytime soon however, the sky is the limit since they're so far ahead of everyone else playing catchup.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
If you pay attention to stocks, all the crypto ETFs and funds are spiking today. Good play short or long IMO since cryptos, although largely useless as actual currency are a really good money's storage vessel. They'll get more stable with time. Bitcoin is probably the best since it's finite.

As for TSLA, their stock will probably have a small bump from this, but most of the future growth potential is already priced into the stock price. If they manage to deliver fully autonomous vehicles anytime soon however, the sky is the limit since they're so far ahead of everyone else playing catchup.

Agree with you.

I am surprised TSLA only went up 1.3% today. Apparently they bought bitcoin a while ago and already made 50%. Lots of stocks in the Fintech space went way up.

Last edited by eman; Feb 16, 2021 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:37 PM

I suspected that Manitoba was behind other provinces, but this data pretty disappointing.

Just 9 EV chargers per 100,000 people.

https://twitter.com/earlinwinnipeg/s...805635/photo/1

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:54 AM

Something to think about from Manitoba Hydro's website and this is without the load from electric vehicles. Add EV load on the system and I'm sure both the station replacement numbers and costs go up more.

"There are almost 400 distribution stations in the province. There are 97 stations in the City of Winnipeg, 37 of which are operating beyond their technical limitations; 8 stations are more than 60 years old. We need to replace or refurbish 20 substations in Winnipeg alone, at an estimated cost of $630 million over the next 10 to 12 years."

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 6:42 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Something to think about from Manitoba Hydro's website and this is without the load from electric vehicles. Add EV load on the system and I'm sure both the station replacement numbers and costs go up more.

"There are almost 400 distribution stations in the province. There are 97 stations in the City of Winnipeg, 37 of which are operating beyond their technical limitations; 8 stations are more than 60 years old. We need to replace or refurbish 20 substations in Winnipeg alone, at an estimated cost of $630 million over the next 10 to 12 years."
hydro is activly replacng these substations

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

What people should be thinking about is the 4.6 tons of carbon they toss into the air every year they drive an internal combustion vehicle. I drove an ICE for 30 years so that is 147 tons. 4.6 tons is the weight of 3.5 cars. I burned the weight of 105 cars worth of carbon. An electric car is not truly zero emissions when but is way less with power coming from hydro and even if its 100% coal it would still be less than an ICE vehicle. Manitoba has the capacity. I plug in 120volt(in a heated garage at home) so its not pulling a ton of power. Though I am disappointed Manitoba Hydo and the provincial gov are slow to act to add charging options within and outside Winnipeg. I have complete confidence in their ability to handle the load. Slow charging at home is good enough, when you travel you need fast charging(level 2 or 3).

Last edited by eman; Feb 26, 2021 at 2:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 12:49 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

electric cars are not the best for roads u need winter survivl gear for

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan