HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 3:05 PM

Surprisingly in Florida suicides were down for 2020 despite the high unemployment.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 5:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silewe View Post
Anyone have divorce statistics from the last year?
despite predictions that lockdowns and WFH would cause divorce rates to skyrocket, the available data we have says that they actually plummeted.

at the same, marriage rates have also plummeted as A LOT of couples have postponed their wedding plans.

Divorces and Marriages Tumbled in U.S. During Covid, Study Shows

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:07 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
despite predictions that lockdowns and WFH would cause divorce rates to skyrocket, the available data we have says that they actually plummeted.

I'm sure that's also related to lockdowns, as couples are either unwilling or unable to access lawyers and courts at the moment. Basically any activity that requires one to go out and actively do something or interact with people has plummeted.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit a of a divorce bump later in the year from pent up demand though.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:08 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Domestic violence is also way up.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silewe View Post
Oh dear i hope you dont fall down the incel hole. We know where that goes.
i like being alone for the most part. video games, music, walks, movies ect. im real into nature and technology. its hard to become a incel in these days, except people in their 20's can be real lonely or depressed. your probably more likely to go insane working too much then being lonely you whole life though.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

at the same, marriage rates have also plummeted as A LOT of couples have postponed their wedding plans.

Divorces and Marriages Tumbled in U.S. During Covid, Study Shows
They wouldn’t ever have happened during the pandemic, but rather afterwards.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 1:48 PM

There continues to be a midnight curfew (largely but not always enforced) because obviously you can’t catch Covid until 12:01am. Otherwise Miami seems to be largely normal when you need it to be. Masks in shops, gyms and Ubers but restaurants and bars are functioning much as normal.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Just imagine being a single 25 year old through all this. It’s gotta drive one insane
Actually I think they’re all just meeting up with Tinder matches and saving lots of money by going straight to Netflix & chill.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 6:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

meet in the middle --

i took this in bay ridge brooklyn friday -- sigh:

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 6:09 PM
The City

Sigh, we need that kind of effort for Chicago’s Uptown and Congress Theatres....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
meet in the middle --

i took this in bay ridge brooklyn friday -- sigh:
Guessing this refers to the one that Trump signed? Because the one coming next probably won't be bipartisan.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 4:02 AM

Very low case counts, positivity rates, and hospitalization numbers in New Orleans have allowed for relaxed restrictions. Indoor bar service capped at 25% capacity and indoor gatherings of up to 75 people and outdoor gatherings of up to 150 people are now allowed.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 2:22 PM
The City

I know that some people here just aren't going to accept this, but mark my words:

As vaccinations ramp up, we are going to see a DRAMATIC decline in hospitalizations and deaths. Now, if you want to count cases, go ahead and count cases. But at some point you will be scratching your heads thinking, "why am I still keeping track of case numbers when very few people are being hospitalized and deaths are way down?"

That will be the impact of the vaccine. I applaud America's scientific community and the drug companies that worked so quickly to create these life-saving vaccines. And already a "booster" for variants is being worked on (frankly not necessary at this point, but that's another discussion)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 4:05 PM
Never Dell

I'd thank the world's scientific community. The US has had the largest role I believe, but others have played big roles.

The vaccines are having a great effect, but we still need to guard against the rise of new variants. That's much easier if we can keep infections down, including younger people who can infect others.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I'd thank the world's scientific community. The US has had the largest role I believe, but others have played big roles.

The vaccines are having a great effect, but we still need to guard against the rise of new variants. That's much easier if we can keep infections down, including younger people who can infect others.
We’re not going to “guard” against anything longer term.

Pretty soon everyone over 50 will be vaccinated, and the risk is serious illness for anyone younger than that is so vanishingly small that the danger is passed. There is zero chance that anyone will be wearing a mask in 6 months, maybe even 3 months time. Even people who are actually sick at the time should probably just stay home instead of going out with a mask on, though I suspect some will adopt the East Asian practice.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
We’re not going to “guard” against anything longer term.

Pretty soon everyone over 50 will be vaccinated, and the risk is serious illness for anyone younger than that is so vanishingly small that the danger is passed. There is zero chance that anyone will be wearing a mask in 6 months, maybe even 3 months time. Even people who are actually sick at the time should probably just stay home instead of going out with a mask on, though I suspect some will adopt the East Asian practice.
Unless we dramatically speed up vaccinations, we'll probably still be wearing masks in 3 months. We're trying to avoid a variant spreading widely that the current vaccines are not effective against. It doesn't matter that most people of a certain age group are vaccinated if the virus is still rapidly spreading and mutating. The major risk right now is a setback due to that situation.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Unless we dramatically speed up vaccinations, we'll probably still be wearing masks in 3 months. We're trying to avoid a variant spreading widely that the current vaccines are not effective against. It doesn't matter that most people of a certain age group are vaccinated if the virus is still rapidly spreading and mutating. The major risk right now is a setback due to that situation.
Existing vaccines are effective against the UK variant and that is the one becoming dominant.

I wouldn’t worry about it, but of course one can’t underestimate the lengths that governments will go to to maintain a sense of panic. In the UK this is mainly about diverting public attention from the sorry state of the healthcare system. In the US it was mostly about getting rid of Trump, but now he’s gone so things can return to normal by summer.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Existing vaccines are effective against the UK variant and that is the one becoming dominant.

I wouldn’t worry about it, but of course one can’t underestimate the lengths that governments will go to to maintain a sense of panic. In the UK this is mainly about diverting public attention from the sorry state of the healthcare system. In the US it was mostly about getting rid of Trump, but now he’s gone so things can return to normal by summer.
There are other variants of concern.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
There are other variants of concern.
But they are not the ones that scientists believe will become dominant. And if that is the case, they will not spread widely enough to justify this continued bullshit.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
But they are not the ones that scientists believe will become dominant. And if that is the case, they will not spread widely enough to justify this continued bullshit.
We don't know that. That is why we all need to do everything humanly possible to stop this from spreading more and giving it opportunity to mutate. If it means wearing a mask for 3 months to be done with this for good, wear the fucking mask.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions