HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 1:03 PM

$500 million motorsports park could come to Pinal County

Tucson's neighbor, tiny Casa Grande, might (or will) end up with a half billion project.

The Sun Corridor is moving up.

Sun Corridor link, http://www.suncorridorinc.com/

Last edited by farmerk; Jun 18, 2016 at 1:23 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 3:21 PM

According to the Arizona Star, Proper restaurant closed. If what seemed like one of the most successful downtown restaurants in a prime location couldn't make it go, it just underscores the fragile nature of downtown business and its future in Tucson. On A Roll closed a few months ago, as did the Rice House Restaurant. New Thai bistro opening soon in the former On A Roll location, though.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
According to the Arizona Star, Proper restaurant closed. If what seemed like one of the most successful downtown restaurants in a prime location couldn't make it go, it just underscores the fragile nature of downtown business and its future in Tucson. On A Roll closed a few months ago, as did the Rice House Restaurant. New Thai bistro opening soon in the former On A Roll location, though.
Thought it was successful as well...luckily it seems like these spaces get snatched up quickly. We just got to wait several months for a new tenant.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azstar View Post
My understanding is that the closure was not due to financial reasons per se, but more to do with the location being out of reach for the owners. The owners are based in Flagstaff and having to keep an eye on a restaurant that is 300 miles away become too much of a burden.

The spot is prime and I imagine that it will get snatched up soon. Locally owned restaurants come and go frequently in all cities, I would not say it is an indicator of a downtown quite yet.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyabe View Post
My understanding is that the closure was not due to financial reasons per se, but more to do with the location being out of reach for the owners. The owners are based in Flagstaff and having to keep an eye on a restaurant that is 300 miles away become too much of a burden.

The spot is prime and I imagine that it will get snatched up soon. Locally owned restaurants come and go frequently in all cities, I would not say it is an indicator of a downtown quite yet.
I'd say restaurant turnover here is, in fact, less frequent than in large cities. In Proper's case, the owner's inability to regularly oversee operations reflected in the food quality and service, IMO, so this wan't a huge surprise for me.

In other restaurant news, a macaron bakery called Woops is going in on University next to Pei Wei. Looks like a franchise operation out of Brooklyn.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 8:00 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Culinary Dropout is on the Liquor License list for the council meeting tomorrow. Went into PRO and checked, and sure enough the dev package has been revised, so The Yard is moving forward again at the old Grant Lumber location.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 6:00 PM

Sounds like utilities work is beginning on the Health Sciences Innovation/SIPHER Building. Webcam is up, too. http://www.pdc.arizona.edu/Project/13-9193

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 6:57 PM

First HSIB rendering

UA has posted a rendering of the Health Sciences Innovation Building (HSIB)--what looks to be an eight or nine-story building, scheduled to break ground this month. The building will be sandwiched between two projects already under construction: the four-story Bioscience Research Laboratories building (to the left of the render), and the nine-story Banner-University Medical Center expansion (on the parking lot in the upper-RH corner of the render).

The designer, CO Architects, is the same firm that designed the two copper-clad buildings on the UA Medical School campus in Phoenix, one still under construction.

rendering - looking northwest
(courtesy: UA)

Last edited by kaneui; Jun 24, 2016 at 7:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 7:21 PM

Looks good, although I'm still disappointed the entire parking lot won't be used. Also, LOL at the cityscape in the background.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2016, 10:20 PM

I like the look.

Although I'm actually glad they didn't use the entire parcel. The building is Tucson-typical wide. With limited University space perhaps they went a little more vertical rather than have a massive 2-3 story complex. That parking lot can be used for another facilities project down the road.

Downtown has a limited footprint. That's why the conceptually long 5-story building proposed for Stone Ave was somewhat of a disappointment. They don't have to use the entire property(s)...go vertical and save the rest for another development when the timing is right.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:31 AM

I was talking to by boss today (I work near U of A) and he was saying that he was talking to the workers/manger at Chase Bank on the corner of Park Ave and 1st St who said that they were planning on building another student housing project on the lot.

I'm not sure if this is actually happening or not but I figured the people who work at Chase would know best. Seems likes the West University will look even more different in the next decade or so.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhhthatdaniel View Post
I was talking to by boss today (I work near U of A) and he was saying that he was talking to the workers/manger at Chase Bank on the corner of Park Ave and 1st St who said that they were planning on building another student housing project on the lot.

I'm not sure if this is actually happening or not but I figured the people who work at Chase would know best. Seems likes the West University will look even more different in the next decade or so.
That bank no longer makes sense there... or even 15 years ago, but definitely not now with the nearby density. Drive-thru banking would do better on Speedway anyhow.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:05 PM

A consultant came through my office and talked about a proposed 10 story project in that vicinity. I'd have to look, but its the maximum that the Main Gate overlay allows. The only pause in the design schedule is the balcony issue.

And here's random slip I'll throw out there...a waterpark is being looked at (scoping stage I'd say) off of I-10 between Park-ish and Palo Verde-ish. Breakers just doesn't cut it in my opinion...all my kid's friends, and our family included, opt for Wet n' Wild, Big Surf, or even Golfland in the Phx area. So I'd be excited if it ever happens.

Last edited by southtucsonboy77; Jun 29, 2016 at 3:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:09 PM

Just a quick shout-out to kaneui...if anyone has not had a chance to notice, the exterior design of the AC Marriot has been modified in kaneui's updated project list...for the better I'd have to say.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhhthatdaniel View Post

I work across the street from that Chase and we've heard the same thing from their staff. They haven't been monitoring use of the large parking lot next to the bank for a year and a half or so and they used to be real sticklers about it. Think that was the first sign.

EDIT - Looked at PRO and several applications have been submitted in the past couple of weeks - lot split, development package for site reconfiguration, zoning letter, and modification of design regs. The zoning letter was requested by The Dinerstein Companies, which was the company that looked into developing the Corbett Building lot and works with Sterling Properties.

Last edited by Ted Lyons; Jun 29, 2016 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 6:02 PM

Does anyone know what's going on with the speedway and campbell avenue project? I haven't seen any recent news.

Also, really pleased with the BSRL, HSIB and Banner projects. For awhile it seemed as if U of A was investing only in the phoenix medical school.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 7:18 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatmd View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with the speedway and campbell avenue project? I haven't seen any recent news.
Palm Shadows, the apartment complex it's expected to be built right on top of, has not stopped accepting leasing offers and just within the past couple hours had posted on it's FB page encouraging pre-leasing for 16-17 school year.

I don't think that project is taking off anytime soon.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 8:42 PM

Sad to hear this, hopefully in the next couple of years we'll see something.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:28 AM

Bike Share Coming to Tucson

Just came across this story today.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3...ming-to-tucson

Quote:
Tucson will receive $1.3 million in federal funds, which it will use to build 30 bike stations throughout the downtown area but also as far east as Country Club and as far west as Pima Community College on Anklam.

Money for support and maintenance will come from private sector companies which have already pledged to advertise on the bikes, the kiosks and bike stations.

The city will hire a vendor in the next two months and then take another six months to get the equipment and stations in place so it will likely be up and running sometime in 2017.

Tucson is adapting its streets downtown for the coming Bike Share program and it's commitment to biking in general.

Already, Stone and Pennington have been reduced to two lanes of traffic with a dedicated bike lane separated by a median.

It's being planned for several more blocks of Stone, which is three lanes of vehicle traffic now, and on Church Avenue downtown.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 5:23 AM

Scanning through the images on the AC Hotel construction cam, found this one from Wednesday morning with a rainbow over downtown .

Image: Lloyd Construction WorkZone Cam

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest