HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 9:51 PM
Website Manager

BC's parliament building is actually not on the Trans-Canada highway (Douglas St.), but is one block west on Government St. These two streets do merge further to the north though.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 2:47 AM
I am a typical

©MapMobility/MapArt Publishing, hosted on White Oval's Flickr stream.

I guess it is on highway 17 then.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 6:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Thunder Bay's height restriction is 45m.
Are you serious?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 11:55 AM
I am a typical

That's the highest, and only applies to RM3 zones, the highest density we have, although if you asked for an exception for any zone you'd probably get it from city council as long as residents don't bitch too much. The city itself has a general 10m/4 storeys limit meaning anything taller than that requires an official plan amendment for the site, which adds bureaucracy but is almost always approved. A 20 storey building was proposed a few years ago and while council was initially OK with it, local residents opposed it so much that they changed their mind and now we're got a bunch of four storey condos.

The only place where you'd really have trouble getting past it is downtown Port Arthur, where there are height limits based on sea level to keep it at a human scale and in much of Fort William, where any tall buildings are in a flight path. (A 25 storey building where my apartment is would be clipped by planes.) Our airport is too close to the city, and boxed in.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 3:39 AM

It's bizarre that Iqluit's "skyline" has been shown but not the largest CMA under 500k.................London. London has more skyscrapers than any of the other cities. If only I had some internet skills.....................

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 4:05 AM

The problem with London's skyline is there are not many good vantage points for photos. I've always wanted to get a shot from Wharncliffe and Commissioners. It's also very spread out.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 2:40 PM
Reach for the Clouds

I haven't seen any pictures of Kamloops, BC, which I think is an unusual place. Here's a pic (not mine)

Anyone have some good shots of the place?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 5:46 PM
Website Manager

yup, Kamloops has a few small building poking up, and look, there's the bridge shown in your photo!

http://www.globalairphotos.com/large...ast/2008/087/2

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 5:52 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
I haven't seen any pictures of Kamloops, BC, which I think is an unusual place....Anyone have some good shots of the place?

The Loops is a strange little place that you don't really spend any time in unless you know someone who lives there. I've been to The Loops several times throughout my life, but if I had to equate all the time I've spent there, it would only add up to about 22 - 24 hours total.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 6:27 PM

I've driven by and through Kamloops, but I usually spend time in BC in Kelowna.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 7:44 PM

I wouldn't mind living in Kamloops, a well proportioned city for it's size and has nice weather to boot. I might be able to make a nice little profit from selling my Edmonton home for one in Kamloops as well.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 8:13 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Leblanc View Post
yup, Kamloops has a few small building poking up, and look, there's the bridge shown in your photo!

http://www.globalairphotos.com/large...ast/2008/087/2
Loving that grid pattern. From this angle it's like my Sim City 3000 game... I want to clear a square and add some skyscrapers! LOL

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 8:58 PM
Reach for the Clouds

I only drove through...both times on a bus to and from Vancouver, but it struck me as a cool little city.... so isolated. I guess we don't have any forumers from there.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 9:05 PM
So very tired...

^ I was born in Kamloops, and lived there for my first 7 years. It is a nice place, with decent weather. Development follows the two rivers though, so it tends to be a bit sprawly, as far as big box stores and single-family homes. The downtown is pretty nice, with a couple of beaches on the river. Victoria Street is a nice little downtown shopping/main street. Could use some higher density residential downtown I think though...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 9:20 PM
BANNED

i just spent the last ten minutes watching... and watching...

this has to stop!
i'm going insane!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 9:30 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammo View Post

i just spent the last ten minutes watching... and watching...

this has to stop!
i'm going insane!
It never stops, and if you watch it you can never figure it out! If it makes you feel any better it only moves if it is being observed.................!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 9:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidilicious View Post
That's the highest, and only applies to RM3 zones, the highest density we have, although if you asked for an exception for any zone you'd probably get it from city council as long as residents don't bitch too much. The city itself has a general 10m/4 storeys limit meaning anything taller than that requires an official plan amendment for the site, which adds bureaucracy but is almost always approved. A 20 storey building was proposed a few years ago and while council was initially OK with it, local residents opposed it so much that they changed their mind and now we're got a bunch of four storey condos.

The only place where you'd really have trouble getting past it is downtown Port Arthur, where there are height limits based on sea level to keep it at a human scale and in much of Fort William, where any tall buildings are in a flight path. (A 25 storey building where my apartment is would be clipped by planes.) Our airport is too close to the city, and boxed in.
Wow, so T-Bay's height limit is slightly higher than Victoria's (Victoria's is 43.5m while T-Bay's is 45m) even though T-Bay has one high-rise whereas Victoria has dozens. Wild.

You also provided the only sound reason i've ever seen for a height limit because I don't think anyone wants to see a repeat of 9/11 even if it's an accident.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 10:08 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
I wouldn't mind living in Kamloops, a well proportioned city for it's size and has nice weather to boot. I might be able to make a nice little profit from selling my Edmonton home for one in Kamloops as well.
Two of my best friends live up there, and there isn't much as far as employment and both are skilled tradesmen.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2009, 10:35 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Wow, so T-Bay's height limit is slightly higher than Victoria's (Victoria's is 43.5m while T-Bay's is 45m) even though T-Bay has one high-rise whereas Victoria has dozens. Wild.

You also provided the only sound reason i've ever seen for a height limit because I don't think anyone wants to see a repeat of 9/11 even if it's an accident.
We have three highrises, and we're very spread out and not a centre of government nor an attractive place to live. And the 45m limit is only for one type of zone, the city as a whole is pretty much limited to 10m/4 storeys but that is frequently exempted.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 3:14 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That’s what I said. Emporis appears to use the generous U.S. Bureau of the Census definition for Portland’s metro, which includes York County near the NH border, Lewiston-Auburn (actually pretty much a separate city or metro) and Androscoggin County. It is 110 miles from the NH border where York County starts to the northern tip of Androscoggin County. And that’s supposed to be “Metro Portland, Maine”.
I was curious about how big Portland actually is so I had a look at it in Google Earth. Here are the composite aerial photos of Portland, Saint John, and Halifax, all at the same scale:

It's possible that I'm missing parts of Portland or Saint John but everything outside of those regions looks like farmland, woods, and small towns. Portland and Saint John look fairly similar in size. Definitely Portland doesn't have a built up area like Winnipeg, Quebec City, or Hamilton.

I'm also not convinced that cities in the Maritimes are any less spread out than cities in New England - the development patterns seem pretty similar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada