HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:19 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Do we know for sure that this revised version of the 2 WTC will still be a supertall?
It probably has to fit in with the spiral plan, so yes, it'll be visibly taller than 3WTC.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think it'll retain the similar height range, but most importantly, the square footage. Like all the towers in the WTC complex, leasing over the long term to fill up unless some unicorn client comes along that will take a massive commitment.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:40 PM
Show me the blueprints

Just throwing this out there but what would it take to junk the spiral plan and let 2WTC soar higher than 1WTC? Is it engraved in stone?

Full disclosure I did not follow every chronological moment of the redevelopment plans over the last 15 years.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:54 PM
West End & Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Just throwing this out there but what would it take to junk the spiral plan and let 2WTC soar higher than 1WTC? Is it engraved in stone?

Full disclosure I did not follow every chronological moment of the redevelopment plans over the last 15 years.
What would it take? For all the politicians involved in this current plan, along with a bunch of 9/11 first responder activists/advocates to be six feet under.

The former roof height of the twins and that stupid "1776" which isn't really 1,776' have become unofficially enshrined just like Philly's Ben Franklin was for many decades. It's dumb and will eventually be forgotten, but we're not there yet.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I hope they keep the diamonds due to the light reflecting onto the memorial pools. That was the original intention of the diamonds.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

It would take a lot. Besides the fact they are sticking with the spiral plan, this tower doesn't even have to be as tall as it is.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:45 PM

The spiral plan should be junked. The test of time has shown Liebeskind to be a second rate architect who created a second rate plan that was largely junked anyway. The 1776 ceiling is ham-fisted symbolism.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Suppose it was junked, just suppose, and lets just imagine this was over 1500 ft with a spire or for fun, taller than 1 WTC. I'd hope whatever serves as the new centerpiece for the skyline, essentially at the gate of NYC by the bay, would be stellar in nature. Iconic, because anything over 1300' in that location, has to be good, otherwise it could really stain the skyline.

1 WTC, for all its flaws, IMO, completes the skyline with respect to Lower Manhattan. It just works, and looks good, and anything that rises in that location, I'd hope it would work aesthetically ESPECIALLY if it was to dethrone 1 WTC as to not look tacky or out of place.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:01 PM

Great to see that this is moving forwards!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
It would nice though. Hell, if SSP could have oversight and the final decision on every project, I think the Earth would look like this...

Credit: https://opengameart.org/content/city-planet
what about plants and stuff?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 10:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
what about plants and stuff?

Plants? Lol I'm sure plants would be in indoor gardens or farms. IDK lol, I posted that almost a year ago.

But I'll tell ya this, if Earth ever did resemble that, I'm sure plants and the science of food would be quite advance to support the trillions of people.

A planet like that, no such things as NIMBYS. They are locked up in chains and shackles doing the work to grow the plants. Might as well use them as laborers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
Great to see that this is moving forwards!
Hopefully well have some leaked renderings in time due. This is even more exciting than 270 Park. But with great excitement, comes great disappointment if it fails. Or so I was told one day by guy in the Penn Station stalls. Something about Jesus coming as well... but I digress.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 2:09 PM

If it's still Foster's design that's being modified, and not a completely new design, I predict the subtle vertical pinstriping will be scrapped, along with the even more subtle accentuation to every fourth-or-so floor plate. The indentations on all four sides will perhaps disappear, leaving the tower with eight or ten sides rather than twenty. The diamonds may survive but as inclined glass rather than stepped.

The building's height may be significantly cut down to make it easier to lease all the space, and the podium with the trading floors will swell in size instead.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:35 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
The building's height may be significantly cut down to make it easier to lease all the space, and the podium with the trading floors will swell in size instead.
I doubt it it/hope not, read the previous posts about the spiral plan. The building visually needs to be between 3 one 1WTC in mass/height.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 5:38 PM

The original 2006 concept would still be one of the top buildings in the city. No need for a redesign. But it will probably will be....to top off how inferior and underwhelming what was built compared to what was there before.

The Big design would be perfect for Hudson Yards with it being rather quirky. Therefore they would of course never build something like that. #tallshinyboringblueboxbuildings

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 6:34 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Let's keep thy fingers crossed for the diamonds not leaving!

Credit: Michael Young

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
The Big design would be perfect for Hudson Yards with it being rather quirky. Therefore they would of course never build something like that. #tallshinyboringblueboxbuildings
That was my first thought in 2015 when I saw BIG's design. Stick it in the Yards! Would certainly make a more interesting complement to the Spiral than that other building going up next door.

Since Disney brought out Fox's film division, they might have taken some space in the building if it had gone up downtown.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
If it's still Foster's design that's being modified, and not a completely new design, I predict the subtle vertical pinstriping will be scrapped, along with the even more subtle accentuation to every fourth-or-so floor plate. The indentations on all four sides will perhaps disappear, leaving the tower with eight or ten sides rather than twenty. The diamonds may survive but as inclined glass rather than stepped.

You are referring to an earlier design. The exposed spandrels at every couple of floors were dropped post-2006 to streamline the facade with vertical stainless steel fins that evoke the twin tower's facade as seen from an angle. To eliminate the indentations on all four sides would mean to introduce column transfer nodes at the podium, so as to simplify the column arrangement above the podium. Remember there are already transition columns at the foundations to make way for the underground roads of the Vehicular Security Center. I think the indentations will be preserved. I do agree with you on the podium trading floors, I think the massing of the tower will remain unchanged with the foundations in place. Can't wait for a rendering to rectify the speculation!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 6:27 AM

I do hope the design for the crown remains unchanged...
2 WTC by Jose C. Hernandez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 12:05 PM

They should work in a new Windows On The World restaurant for the upper levels.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 1:30 PM

Unlikely. There isn't enough space up there for all that goes with that. Those diamond levels with their modest terraced balconies between diamonds are the prime office space in the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction