HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 7:22 PM

Finding a Map of Galt, Ont.

I'm currently building a 1:64th scale model of Galt Station which, like the rest of my S-scale model train layout, will be set in the late 60's, early 70's.

Since the City of Galt was amalgamated into Cambridge in 1973, this means that the city would still be the autonomous City of Galt during the time period in which the layout is set.

In recognition of this neat fact, I was thinking about putting a wall map of the City of Galt on the inside wall of the station, but have thus far been unable to locate a map of the City of Galt.

Would any of you know were I could locate a map of the autonomous city of Galt PRIOR to 1973 when it was rolled into Cambridge???

I've already e-mailed the City of Cambridge, but have yet to receive a response.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 8:17 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

here you go: http://www.millcreekgalt.ca/pages/history-maps.html

S-scale huh? Kinda large no?

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
here you go: http://www.millcreekgalt.ca/pages/history-maps.html

S-scale huh? Kinda large no?
First of all, thank you for the link to these maps. I'll likely use the 1861 map since it clearly displays the name 'Galt' and most public/municipal maps are hopelessly out of date anyway (seriously, how many municipal maps have you seen that depict a forest where the Wal-Mart's now situated with the phrase 'Here There Be Dragons' at the outer edge of that, now non-existent, forest?).

Since I'm detailing the inside of this station, the map will be in a framed wal mounting inside the station and visible through it's windows and removable roof.

Regarding 1:64 scale, I personally consider it a near perfect scale since (as the attached article attests) it's "big (large) enough to work on, (yet) small enough to use";

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/s-scaleintro.htm

Specifically, S-scale is large enough that most details can be created properly. A perfect example of this are the 'grab-irons' used for climbing onto a freight car. In many smaller scales, these are merely plastic bumps cast into the sides of railcars, whereas S-scale is large enough where these can be depicted with individual strands of wire, which creates a much more realistic effect. Other details can similarly be brought out in 'S' in ways they could not in smaller scales.

On the other hand, many larger scales, such as 'O' and 'G' require that equipment be shortened and turn radiuses be made unrealistically sharp to allow these scales to operate in confines spaces. S-scale, on the other hand, can realistically complete a tight loop in an area the size of a King-sized bed and therefore does not need to be unrealistically 'shortened'.

Finally, what's really neat about 'S' is that I can (and do) use the other scales to depict narrow-gauge operations. Specifically, HO gauge is equivalent to 42 inch gauge like they use in Newfoundland (NfLD). I'm actually currently in the process of building an S-scale G8 shell that will fit over the frame of an HO-scale SD-9 to create my first Sn42 Newfoundland locomotive. Also, the wheel gauge on HO chassis' can be further narrowed to create 3-foot gauge S-scale (aka. Sn3). I have an extensive White Pass & Yukon Sn3 operation, all of which uses cheap and plentiful HO chassis' with much more finely detailed 1:64 bodies. Additionally, 'N' scale chassis, with S-scale bodies, make great 2-foot industrial equipment (aka. Sn2) such as what I'm using for a line running from a fishing wharf to a cannery. Finally, 'Z' scale is equivalent to the size of 1:8 scale 'live steamers' in 1:64 and, while I have yet to do this, all I'd need to do to depict an 1:8 live steam club is to place 'S' scale figures on 'Z' equipment.

Also, there are a wealth of 1:64 cars, trucks, construction equipment, and other such things to add realism to any S-scale layout.

I'm not at home now (now will I be until next week), but when I get there, I'll post some pictures of S-scale operations.

Thank you again for the maps

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:38 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Pictures of your own layout? That would be sweet!

Flickr®

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 12:07 PM
Closed account

That sounds really cool! I agree with Tony; I would love to see some shots of the layouts you've done.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario