HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 1:24 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I thought Hillcrest had turned into offices? (Also they misspelt neighbourhood.)

I really hope they keep the 9 Junot running on Algoma in between Red River and River.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
I thought Hillcrest had turned into offices? (Also they misspelt neighbourhood.)
It was the Thunder Bay Centre of Change for a few years prior to this latest conversion. A lot of small businesses, start-ups and non-profits leased space out under that previous format. The concept was actually a very good one, but obviously it was not sustainable. I think Hillcrest was too large, too expensive to operate and in need of too much work for the Centre of Change idea to work in that building. Hopefully something like it will be tried somewhere else in the city in the future.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 9:32 PM

Thanks for the transit info Vid. All of those changes are smart, something I wasn't expecting when I heard that transit wanted to change some routes. Finally they are getting away from the old street car routes in places where it makes no sense. I'm also glad to see interlining with the same numbers across 6 different routes is going away too.

Does transit still run the 6 out to the Mission via Broadway and Hwy 61 since the swing bridge is still closed?

Last edited by F. Lionel; Jul 12, 2015 at 3:43 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 8:43 PM

I'm not in tune with what is happening with transit at all, but I think they still run out to the Mission via Highway 61. Buses actually started using 61 well before fire damaged the swing bridge (I recall transit complained the bridge was damaging buses... I'm thinking tires because of the narrow width and turns required to enter and leave the structure).

As for the swing bridge itself, it is still closed to vehicular traffic. Pedestrians and trains can use it. There is no opening date in site. The city has taken CN to court over the matter as all proposed settlements failed. A major part of the court battle will involve interpretation of the original agreement between Fort William and the Grand Trunk Railroad. Once the lawyers make their millions dragging proceedings out, the outcome should determine how things will be in the future.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 8:50 PM

The Keg is going to be putting on an addition to their restaurant on Hewitson. Sounds like it won't be anything huge though. Probably be some re-branding and updating of the exterior... it is looking a little dated and tired. Still always busy though.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 11:51 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

They're building something on Algoma. A walkup maybe?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 3:31 PM

On the former Shaw Bakery site, it'll be three 12-unit apartment buildings.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
The Keg is going to be putting on an addition to their restaurant on Hewitson. Sounds like it won't be anything huge though. Probably be some re-branding and updating of the exterior... it is looking a little dated and tired. Still always busy though.
Most other Kegs have a new look and have had one for a few years now. Perhaps now it is pressing since they have coming competition from Tony Roma's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
They're building something on Algoma. A walkup maybe?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
On the former Shaw Bakery site, it'll be three 12-unit apartment buildings.
Or the new complex across from St. Joe's? TbayON mentioned that construction a few posts back in response to something I asked...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
Or the new complex across from St. Joe's? TbayON mentioned that construction a few posts back in response to something I asked...
Oh, that's another apartment building-- I believe vid posted details earlier.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 2:45 AM
I am a typical

The building up at Van Norman is apparently going to be a 4 storey apartment building. Not sure if construction started yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Lionel View Post
Does transit still run the 6 out to the Mission via Broadway and Hwy 61 since the swing bridge is still closed?
Yes, it does.

Quote:
I'm not in tune with what is happening with transit at all, but I think they still run out to the Mission via Highway 61. Buses actually started using 61 well before fire damaged the swing bridge (I recall transit complained the bridge was damaging buses... I'm thinking tires because of the narrow width and turns required to enter and leave the structure).
The mirrors were hitting the steel beams, and a lot of drivers were uncomfortable driving the bus over the bridge. It made sense for transit to use the bridge when we ran street cars, but I always thought running a bus over that bridge was sketchy as hell, especially since modern buses have a larger profile than the older ones. I don't think the Novas could actually make that trip, their mirrors stick out so much that the driver would have to stop and adjust them before and after crossing the bridge. They also crossed the bridge really slowly, like 10km/hr slow.

Today was the groundbreaking of the Northwest Community Health Centre's long-awaited expansion.

Quote:
Ontario Expanding NorWest Community Health Centres

Putting Patients First by Improving Access to Care in Thunder Bay

NEWS - July 23, 2015

Ontario is investing up to $8.4 million for a two-storey expansion of the NorWest Community Health Centres in Thunder Bay to give patients better access to health care closer to home.

This major expansion will allow NorWest to serve more people, and will increase access to community services such as mental health and addictions programs and diabetes education. Patients in Thunder Bay will benefit from new facilities, including:

16 exam rooms
Two chiropody/foot care rooms
Two large rooms with work stations for the primary care staff
An education/training room and space for future growth.

Construction at the 525 Simpson Street site in Thunder Bay is now underway and is expected to be complete in fall 2016.

Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario’s history — more than $130 billion over 10 years, which will support more than 110,000 jobs per year on average, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals across the province.

Investing in priority infrastructure, including community health centres, is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.

QUOTES

“Today marks an important milestone in the expansion of NorWest Community Health Centres’ Thunder Bay site. Once completed, the expanded facility will ensure patients have better access to a number of high-quality health care services in the community and closer to home.”
— Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care

“NorWest Community Health Centres is a key component of our primary care system in Thunder Bay and district. It has been a pleasure to work with this organization since 2003 and support the great work they do in our communities. Today’s announcement will further enable NorWest Community Health Centres to provide high quality primary care services in our area.”

— Bill Mauro, MPP, Thunder Bay-Atikokan

“I am so proud to be part of a government that invests in the long-term needs of communities like ours. The expansion of the NorWest Community Health Centres’ Thunder Bay site will more than double its space allowing it to grow and service even more people in our region for years to come.”

— Michael Gravelle, MPP, Thunder Bay-Superior North

“Today marks a truly momentous occasion for the Thunder Bay community as we celebrate the first construction milestone of this highly anticipated project that will enhance the delivery of high-quality programs and services for our communities in Thunder Bay and the District. Thank you to everyone involved. Years of planning, hard work and community partnership building are now becoming a reality.”

— Wendy Talbot, CEO, NorWest Community Health Centres

QUICK FACTS

§ Ontario’s long-term infrastructure plan will help connect regions, develop new economic opportunities and improve quality of life for Ontarians by supporting critical infrastructure projects in cities, towns, and rural and remote communities all across the province.

§ A Conference Board of Canada report estimated that Ontario’s public infrastructure investment would add more than $1,000 to the average annual income of Ontarians in 2014 and lower the unemployment rate by about one percentage point.

§ This expansion project will add approximately 18,677 square feet to the existing site for a total of 32,293 square feet.

§ Two adjoining properties have also been purchased to increase parking for the expanded facility.

Site plan:

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 2:44 AM

I was under the impression that the Algoma development at the former bakery site was 3 twelve plexes, but now I am only hearing two buildings. I have been told there are actually two separate lots with two different owners. The lot neighbouring the one currently under development is also rumoured to be owned by a local contractor, so development is likely.

Despite much opposition from area residents, a ten unit building will be going up behind Safeway on Strand Ave. Approximately 50 persons provided concerns to city hall regarding the development, but council gave the green light anyways. It was also welcome to hear the city hall shoot back at opponents of such projects, saying that these multi-unit developments are going to be encouraged and approved all over the city on infill lots.

The contract for the TBDHC's two eight plexes has been awarded. One will be built in each end of town. They are supposed to be completed by the end of the year. Both will be constructed on infill lots.

Haven't seen it mentioned yet either that Lowe's has officially confirmed that it will be opening a store at the former Target location in Intercity Mall. The company mentioned that mall locations are rare for the company, but that a similar set-up in Sault Ste. Marie is working. I suspect the space will require a fairly lengthy fit-up to get it from a dept. store to a home improvement outlet. It will be interesting to see how Lowe's fits a lumber yard into the parking lot as well.

ExCuria Gastropub is opening/is open on Archibald St. N. This is right across from the courthouse. Should be interesting to see how it does since downtown P.A. is where one would most expect to see this type of business opening.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
ExCuria Gastropub is opening/is open on Archibald St. N. This is right across from the courthouse. Should be interesting to see how it does since downtown P.A. is where one would most expect to see this type of business opening.
Is this the one that is now located in Coo's house?

There is no concrete action happening to build a new Event Centre So we will force it by demolishing the Old Arena piecemeal?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 1:37 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Ah, so that's what they're building on Simpson.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 12:51 AM

Anyone know what is going into the old Burger King/Volare Pizza on Memorial Avenue? Some kind of wood exterior is being put up but that is all I know.

Last edited by frankp; Aug 11, 2015 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2015, 8:51 PM

Noticed that too. I had heard last year a strip mall was going up on the property, but this seems to change all that. The strip mall proposal called for the demolition of the existing building.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 12:27 AM

Have heard Prospector Burger Barn is moving into the old Burger King/Volare Pizza location - will be year round. They are deciding later whether or not they will keep the Syndicate & Walsh Street location.

At this point haven't heard anything official that the new Burger Barn site is the old Burger King; only thing I can verify at this point is that they are moving to Memorial Avenue.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 3:13 PM

Liquor license application confirms it's the former Burger King location.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2015, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
Liquor license application confirms it's the former Burger King location.
Their Facebook page got back to me and confirmed it also.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 8:42 PM

It is Burger Barn... I had heard that a while ago, but so long ago that I forgot in the mean time. Should be interesting to see how this venture goes with that building's history of failed businesses, and Burger Barn's limited menu (never mind that they will no longer be the only show in the neighbourhood as they are at the end of Walsh St.).

Additions and renovations to the MNR Fire HQ in Thunder Bay are getting close. Qualified general contractors are pricing at the moment.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:50 PM

The old Acrlin Glue plant on Montreal street has been taken over by harbour metals and they are clearing out the facility or equipment and filling the adjacent yard with scrap cars. Perhaps they are going to get into the used car parts business as well? who know?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario