HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 9:24 PM

Also noticed that the new Ultramar at Hebron Way and Torbay Rd has the Corner Store colours installed and also has a separate different branded coloured fast food fast food restaurant with drive thru window on the the side too. Anyone know what this is gonna be?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Also noticed that the new Ultramar at Hebron Way and Torbay Rd has the Corner Store colours installed and also has a separate different branded coloured fast food fast food restaurant with drive thru window on the the side too. Anyone know what this is gonna be?
I think I read somewhere it will be a Mr. Sub.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
It will be a Mr. Sub and a Country Style coffee shop.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 11:38 AM

Jumping Bean is now open on Elizabeth Ave. (next to Pipers). And I must say, it is very nice inside. Glad to see more variety coming to this part of town.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 4:19 PM

One11 chophouse appears to be opening another spot within the same courtyard area. Anyone know much about this?

https://twitter.com/one11chophouse/s...50109839187969

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:50 PM

Unless, they plan on lowering the prices to a point where the Average consumer can comfortably enjoy a dinner out there, it will be an awefully long time before I ever give them any of my hard earned money. I'm sorry , but places like One11Chop and Raymond's are not worth the money in my books. Yes they are put out a fabulous product, they look beautiful, but there is no way that a steak dinner should come anywhere close to $100, like these guys are selling it for. Just my 2 cents.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 2:07 AM

So guys, went to Woody's new restaurant on Water Street tonight with some friends. I'm sorry to say it was the worst dining out experience I've ever had. We arrived at just before 8pm. We did not get our food until just after 9pm. Had to keep asking for water. Food was really forgettable and generic. Needless to say we had to complain and ask a couple of times when our food would be ready. We were almost about to leave and go eat somewhere else when our food arrived and they did not charge us for our meals. I also noticed that other customers were experiencing similar problems. It's really sad and unfortunate because they really need first impressions to be good. I really can't see this place lasting any more than 6 months. It's too bad.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 12:39 PM

Are you really surprised that your experience was so bad ?

Place looks terrible from the outside, I don't even need to experience it from the inside. You can tell from outside that the place is cheap and cheesy. Only way they last is if the landlord included 6 months in free rent.

Hate to wish bad ill on new business, but in my opinion they were doomed before they even opened up. Wrong location, wrong look, wrong menu. This is definitely a person with zero restaurant experience getting suckered into a Franchise, and are going to loose their shirt over it.

Sorry

Quote:
So guys, went to Woody's new restaurant on Water Street tonight with some friends. I'm sorry to say it was the worst dining out experience I've ever had. We arrived at just before 8pm. We did not get our food until just after 9pm. Had to keep asking for water. Food was really forgettable and generic. Needless to say we had to complain and ask a couple of times when our food would be ready. We were almost about to leave and go eat somewhere else when our food arrived and they did not charge us for our meals. I also noticed that other customers were experiencing similar problems. It's really sad and unfortunate because they really need first impressions to be good. I really can't see this place lasting any more than 6 months. It's too bad.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 3:25 PM

No I really was not surprised by this. I was invited to join some friends there so I figured I could check it out myself. I must say, I was also pretty skeptical when I saw that this restaurant was opening. Unknown brand, weird location, and if people want chicken and ribs they will likely go to Swiss Chalet or Montana's.

It was obvious from the point when I first saw this being approved in council minutes to when they opened (which was pretty soon after) they have obviously not spent enough time securing enough kitchen staff to accommodate the possible full house of customers (as it was the night I was there) and to make sure the kitchen staff are well enough trained in cooking.
I feel sorry for people who go into to this sort of thing with not enough business savvy or education of how to successfully run a restaurant. Just because it is a franchise does not really mean its going to be successful automatically. And it takes a ton of money to burn through to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Are you really surprised that your experience was so bad ?

Place looks terrible from the outside, I don't even need to experience it from the inside. You can tell from outside that the place is cheap and cheesy. Only way they last is if the landlord included 6 months in free rent.

Hate to wish bad ill on new business, but in my opinion they were doomed before they even opened up. Wrong location, wrong look, wrong menu. This is definitely a person with zero restaurant experience getting suckered into a Franchise, and are going to loose their shirt over it.

Sorry

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:42 PM

A friend on Facebook said they will be opening a new restaurant in Haymarket Square called Bernard Stanley Gastropub. It should be opening very soon.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 7:16 PM

Quote:
No I really was not surprised by this. I was invited to join some friends there so I figured I could check it out myself. I must say, I was also pretty skeptical when I saw that this restaurant was opening. Unknown brand, weird location, and if people want chicken and ribs they will likely go to Swiss Chalet or Montana's.

It was obvious from the point when I first saw this being approved in council minutes to when they opened (which was pretty soon after) they have obviously not spent enough time securing enough kitchen staff to accommodate the possible full house of customers (as it was the night I was there) and to make sure the kitchen staff are well enough trained in cooking.
I feel sorry for people who go into to this sort of thing with not enough business savvy or education of how to successfully run a restaurant. Just because it is a franchise does not really mean its going to be successful automatically. And it takes a ton of money to burn through to get started.
Karl Wells recently gave this a pretty bad review.http://www.thetelegram.com/Living/20...-disappoints/1

Quote:
Woody’s Bar-B-Q (an international chain), located in the former St. John’s Chophouse (and before that The Cellar), has the look of a hotel banquet room that’s been temporarily decorated for a barbecue-themed fundraiser by the local chapter of a fraternal order

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 12:06 AM

In Monday's agenda is a proposal for redevelopment of the old abandoned Flakehouse restaurant in Quidi Vidi. Tract Consulting and Fougere Mencheton, presumably on behalf of Todd Perrin and associates, propose removing the existing structure and constructing the new two storey Mallard Cottage Waterfront Food Service Facility. The new restaurant will have 667 sq m of floor space on a footprint of 501 sq m (increasing current footprint of 284 sq m by 77%). First floor will include restaurant and catering space, kitchen, amenities. Second floor will have 166 sq m for administration office, two meeting rooms, and amenities. Outdoor seating will be provided. The space adjacent to the old Mallard Cottage along Stones Road will be developed into additional parking, with 51 total parking units for the proposed development (page 35 of: http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...5%28R%29_0.pdf ).

Last edited by jthetzel; Nov 21, 2015 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Added images

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad709 View Post
One11 chophouse appears to be opening another spot within the same courtyard area. Anyone know much about this?
Looks like One 11 Chophouse re-opened on November 10 as EVOO in the Courtyard, focussing on Mediterranean cuisine.
http://www.evoorestaurant.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/evoointhecy/

One of their chefs, Chris Chafe, joined in July of this year, and was previously at the Doctor's House Inn byTrinity Bay, a contestant on season 3 of Top Chef Canada, and Gold Medal Plate silver medallist.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF1962 View Post
A friend on Facebook said they will be opening a new restaurant in Haymarket Square called Bernard Stanley Gastropub. It should be opening very soon.
The Bernard Stanley Gastropub, 223 Duckworth Street (formerly the ♣), is trying to open this month, pending approval from provincial inspection.

https://www.facebook.com/bernardstanleygastropub/

Old Posted Nov 27, 2015, 5:14 PM

What is the best place for a dry aged steak since One 11 is now closed ?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djslue View Post
What is the best place for a dry aged steak since One 11 is now closed ?
I've never had a steak from the Keg, but I assume their "aged to perfection" meats are wet-aged on the ferry to Port aux Basques. Your best bet for dry-aged beef in town is probably to get an untrimmed rib roast from Halliday's, leave it in a mini-fridge with a little desktop fan, and return a month later. If that's too much fuss, get a ticket to Chicago and try David Burke's or Chicago Cut.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2015, 8:42 PM

Bernard Stanley has a menu:
https://www.facebook.com/download/12...011/merged.pdf

Looks eclectic and zesty: from cod tongues and Quidi Vidi fish and chips to arancini subs, jambalaya, and chipotle salmon tacos. Lunch entrées are mid-teens to mid-twenties, dinner entrées mid-twenties to mid-thirties.

They await the coveted liquor license.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 3:34 PM

Hey FYI. I got a text message from Kelseys. They are opening their new restaurant on Kenmount Rd on Thursday Dec 17th.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 3:49 PM

I've heard a few rumors swirling around that Bier Markt has been canned. Presumably thanks in part to the NLC.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I've heard a few rumors swirling around that Bier Markt has been canned. Presumably thanks in part to the NLC.
Any details on how the NLC might have gotten in the way of Bier Markt? If I was in the business of distributing alcohol, I would think a major restaurant chain wanting to buy dozens of kegs from me every week would be an easy business decision.

I'm in Wisconsin this week, where fifths are $15, handles are $30, and each liquor store has a unique selection available. Found a wonderful and apparently rare Austrian Christmas beer called Schloss Eggenberg Samichlaus. And I think that like water in NL, cases of Miller are essentially given away for free with distribution costs included in the property tax.

While NLC prices are ridiculous (and I'm sceptical that high liquor prices have a significant positive effect on public health; alcoholics aren't known for rational decision making when balancing the cheque book), most upsetting is the monotonous selection. In states with private liquor store ownership, each store has it's own personality: one store has the best price on the standard mid-shelves, another store has higher prices but is open late and convenient, and another has higher prices but has rare selections for special occasions. It'd be real nice if NLC could give store managers more autonomy over import selection.

Done ranting about the NLC for now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's