HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
There was a meeting for property owners along the north side of highway 15 between the new Scoudouc exit and Shediac to discuss a new road that is going to be put in. They are rezoning the properties to highway commercial and putting a new road between the Scoudouc exit parallel to highway 15 to the new exit into Shediac.
That's a long stretch of new road. I wonder if there are any serious buyers.

The long rumoured Wal-Mart distribution centre in this area comes to mind. I wonder if this is still a possibility.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 9:42 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
That's a long stretch of new road. I wonder if there are any serious buyers.

The long rumoured Wal-Mart distribution centre in this area comes to mind. I wonder if this is still a possibility.
if I understand this correctly, we are talking about a road that will start at exit 26 (eileen Street/Scoudouc Business Exit) in Scoudouc?) running at the north-east exit running between Route 15/11 and Route 134 running north-east between these routes connecting to Route 133 in Shediac?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 2:43 PM

Correct, I wish I had scanned the map that my father in-law had as he is one of the land owners. I'll see if I can get a copy of it this weekend and post it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting.

If they just wanted a connector to the Shediac Road (Route 134) from the Scoudouc Industrial Park exit (26), it would be less than a km straight through the woods.

The fact that they are looking for a new road paralleling the 11/15 implies that they intend to open up this terrain for development. That's a long distance (about 6 km). I wonder who's behind this? The province? The town of Shediac? If Shediac, I wonder if this is tied to future expansion plans for the civic boundary? Is there a business case for this? I wonder if there is private corporate involvement (something like Wal Mart as NBNYer hinted at)?

Enquiring minds would like to know..........

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 4:16 PM

Shediac annexed the area around Seaside Chev Olds many years ago.
Two years ago, they annexec most of the land south of Hwy 15 to the Scoudouc boundaries on the east side of Route 132 (not sure how much land, if any, they took over on the south side of Route 132.)

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Shediac annexed the area around Seaside Chev Olds many years ago.
Two years ago, they annexec most of the land south of Hwy 15 to the Scoudouc boundaries on the east side of Route 132 (not sure how much land, if any, they took over on the south side of Route 132.)
Not 100% on this but I do believe they annexed up to Red Bridge Rd.
Not sure why they would not have gone all the way, and annexed Scoudouc as well tho.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 3:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It was in the T&T today that Shediac is planning on a new operations centre too (like the one in Riverview). Any ideas where this might be built???

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It was in the T&T today that Shediac is planning on a new operations centre too (like the one in Riverview). Any ideas where this might be built???
I think the operations center is going to be off of Ohio Road (the old NB Power building)

Here are some budget items from the minutes of November 30th
https://shediac.ca/images/RO301115-A.pdf

Installation of an illuminated sign at the Multipurpose Centre -$100,000
Municipal Operations Centre-Design & Construction-$6,000,000
Route 133 (Main St.) -Joint Project with NB Power, Aliant & Rogers - $300,000
Sanitary Sewer Project (Ohio Rd.)-Municipal Operations Centre -$200,000
Chesley Street Project (Phase I)-Major upgrade $3,040,000
Pascal Poirier Street Improvements - Major upgrade -$1,300,000
Lino Road Improvements - Major upgrade (West of Ohio Road) -$800,000
Pascal Poirier Park - Street furniture -$50,000
Jubilee Park-Installation of recreational equipment -$220,000
Development of walking/bike trail alongside Route 15(east of Sackville St.)-$350,000

The major items are the operations center and the upgrades to Chesley street this year. Anyone know anything about the Joint project on Main street?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 1:53 PM

I'm hoping that joint project is to move the services underground to remove power lines and poles along Main st. but that is only a hope I have no information on what is going to be done.

I'll ask a few friends of mine who might have some knowledge of what is going on as they are business owners along Main st. and may have some information on what is going to be done.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 2:30 PM

Has anyone seen this? https://shediac.ca/images/pdf/Travau...Roundabout.pdf

I'm not sure which one is correct and I don't remember them talking about putting a roundabout off Main st. and removing the over pass but it looks like what they will be doing.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 2:42 PM

That's what I'm hoping for too, it would improve the sight lines and make for a nicer main street. Although, the budget seems small for such a project.

The round-about makes sense from an economical perspective. It would be one less overpass to widden/maintain.
They'll have to plan for one off Ohio so that all three entries have one

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:40 PM

So it seems there won't be any proper or direct highway connection between the 11 and the 15, coming from Barachois/Cap-Pelé/PEI direction. Drivers will need to get off at the regular exit, stop at the end of the offramp, take a right towards the traffic circle, take the circle, head towards route 11 northbound onramp and then drive north to there destination... No big deal I guess, but it's a bit more complicated.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 3:57 PM

I'm behind on this. What problem are we trying to solve by rebuilding the interchange?

I drive in and out of Shediac a few times a year, and I've never had any issues aside from finding that Main to 15 West is a bit awkward (with the off-ramp immediately turning into an on-ramp), but this new configuration doesn't appear any less convoluted.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 4:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremoncton View Post
I'm behind on this. What problem are we trying to solve by rebuilding the interchange?

I drive in and out of Shediac a few times a year, and I've never had any issues aside from finding that Main to 15 West is a bit awkward (with the off-ramp immediately turning into an on-ramp), but this new configuration doesn't appear any less convoluted.
I think this is exactly the problem they are trying to fix.

As it stands now, when you try to enter the 11 southbound from Main Street, there is no acceleration lane and you are in fact entering onto the 15 (westbound) exit lane from the 11. That's just daft and would not conform to any standard of modern road construction. I'm sure there are hundreds of tourists every year that are caught completely unawares by this situation. It needs to be fixed.

The problem that Patapouf26 noticed with the new configuration is interesting. There indeed will be no way to directly access the 11 (northbound) from the 15 (westbound). There probably isn't that much traffic going in this particular direction, but the need to exit the highway and go through a roundabout to get back on the highway again will be a pain in the ass - particularly for truckers........

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think this is exactly the problem they are trying to fix.

As it stands now, when you try to enter the 11 southbound from Main Street, there is no acceleration lane and you are in fact entering onto the 15 (westbound) exit lane from the 11. That's just daft and would not conform to any standard of modern road construction. I'm sure there are hundreds of tourists every year that are caught completely unawares by this situation. It needs to be fixed.

The problem that Patapouf26 noticed with the new configuration is interesting. There indeed will be no way to directly access the 11 (northbound) from the 15 (westbound). There probably isn't that much traffic going in this particular direction, but the need to exit the highway and go through a roundabout to get back on the highway again will be a pain in the ass - particularly for truckers........
As you said, that off-ramp/on ramp engineering clusterf@ck absolutely needs to be fixed. I pass through there often and motorists coming from Shediac assume those coming from Bouctouche (south bound) should move over for the merging traffic while the former need to get in there to take the interchange to get on the 15... World class design!

At least, the new plan should be much safer, but while we're at it, why not make it as it should... With a direct connection.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 8:57 PM

When it comes to road construction in NB, very little gets done right. It's just the 'norm' around here. Heck we have a brand new interchange to an empty industrial park and yet we do not have one to the largest airport in the province. Nothing is a surprise to me anymore.

Now that my griping is done i'll ask this. Couldnt there have been a lane added to the ramp from Main st all the way up onto 15 west? Wouldn't that have been cheaper and quicker to fix? Start it after the overpass and anyone going west could sail right up onto the 15 while merging with traffic coming from 11 south?
Leave the left lane as it is for the traffic heading to Scoudouc from Shediac? Am i completely crazy here?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:14 PM

The problem that I still see is going east on highway 15. How are they going to configure that? To me they should just turn the current interchange into a regular diamond interchange.
It also looks like it tells us how far they are twinning highway 11 for phase 1.

My proposal:

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
When it comes to road construction in NB, very little gets done right. It's just the 'norm' around here. Heck we have a brand new interchange to an empty industrial park and yet we do not have one to the largest airport in the province. Nothing is a surprise to me anymore.

Now that my griping is done i'll ask this. Couldnt there have been a lane added to the ramp from Main st all the way up onto 15 west? Wouldn't that have been cheaper and quicker to fix? Start it after the overpass and anyone going west could sail right up onto the 15 while merging with traffic coming from 11 south?
Leave the left lane as it is for the traffic heading to Scoudouc from Shediac? Am i completely crazy here?
The reason they build the interchange to Scoudouc was because the trucks were devistating the local roads and it was cheaper then the cost to fully repair them and their upkeep. While I agree that the airport should have an interchange, it seems the problem is actually with the rail crossings. Almost all of the problem areas have a rail crossing involved. Lewisville Road @ Wheeler, causeway traffic cirlcle, airport interchange, Berrys Mills/Killiam @ Wheeler, downtown subway (by no means am I saying this has to be replaced) even the flooding in the jones lake area goes back to a 100 year old culvert underneath, you guessed, the railway. The railway used to be the lifeblood of Moncton, now I find its just in the way. Even in shediac, the old right of way is just barely being used fully.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The problem that I still see is going east on highway 15. How are they going to configure that? To me they should just turn the current interchange into a regular diamond interchange.
It also looks like it tells us how far they are twinning highway 11 for phase 1.

My proposal:
Through traffic on 15 will be unaffected. The only flow being impeded here is traffic from Cap-Pele/PEI heading north on 11 and vice-versa. Anyone headed to and from Moncton-Bouctouche or Moncton/PEI will have uninterrupted freeway without any ramps or exits.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The reason they build the interchange to Scoudouc was because the trucks were devistating the local roads and it was cheaper then the cost to fully repair them and their upkeep. While I agree that the airport should have an interchange, it seems the problem is actually with the rail crossings. Almost all of the problem areas have a rail crossing involved. Lewisville Road @ Wheeler, causeway traffic cirlcle, airport interchange, Berrys Mills/Killiam @ Wheeler, downtown subway (by no means am I saying this has to be replaced) even the flooding in the jones lake area goes back to a 100 year old culvert underneath, you guessed, the railway. The railway used to be the lifeblood of Moncton, now I find its just in the way. Even in shediac, the old right of way is just barely being used fully.
What trucks? There is nothing left out there! That interchange was built in the hopes that Walmart would build a distribution center in the Scoudouc industrial park. That obviously did not happen.

I dont buy the argument that the railway is in the way of tge 'problem areas' you mentioned either. The railway was also in the way of the Vaughn Harvey extension to the new bridge and look how that turned out!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces