HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 7:29 PM

WS held an event at the gate for the resumption of service to DUB. It was to mark "10 years of service to Ireland" which is true for the airline, but it was implied they've been flying there from YYC for 10 years?

Last I checked YYC-DUB was launched in 2019, which was only 5 years ago.

---

Also looks like UA has added a 4th flight to DEN on 2 Sundays in July (Stampede week).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 8:52 PM

WS had 737 service to Shannon from either YYT or YHZ, I forget. It was because there was a maintenance contract in Shannon and this brought planes there.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 5:24 AM
Scam Artist

There was no real implication at the event that they had been flying YYC-DUB for 10 years.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 5:13 PM

I was more so referring to the social media posts afterwards, its since be deleted and corrected but the original tweet YYC is quoting said "We are celebrating 10 years of service between @flyYYC and Dublin." but it got changed to "between Canada and Dublin."

https://twitter.com/FlyYYC/status/1785380107085025463

Internally it was mentioned the event was to celebrate the "re-launch" of flights to DUB, which was even odder.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
I was more so referring to the social media posts afterwards, its since be deleted and corrected but the original tweet YYC is quoting said "We are celebrating 10 years of service between @flyYYC and Dublin." but it got changed to "between Canada and Dublin."

https://twitter.com/FlyYYC/status/1785380107085025463

Internally it was mentioned the event was to celebrate the "re-launch" of flights to DUB, which was even odder.
Seems very odd to have a celebration event for a seasonal resumption of a route but who am I to judge

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 5:45 PM

When might WestJet realistically announce their actual Winter 24/25 routes and schedule?

(They are selling seats through March 2025 already, I suppose using some assumptions about what routes and schedules might be in the future — but with WS booking anything more than a few months out always is always super risky.)

Last year, IIRC, they didn’t finalize their winter routes until late July … really, really late by “major carrier” standards (but perhaps not compared to vacation carriers and charters). It’s also super late for travellers who want/need to reserve their own accommodations before they book up.

We’re looking to nail down both a big ‘late fall’ trip and a sunny family meet-up at Christmas as soon as it’s feasible. (Accommodation bookings hinge on flight availability.) But any November or December booking made now for WestJet is hypothetical at best! I’d like some certainty about routes and schedule.

So, when they might announce?

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
Seems very odd to have a celebration event for a seasonal resumption of a route but who am I to judge
Guessing it was just a mix up, as it was communicated at the same time as the planned celebration events for KEF and ICN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobuz View Post
When might WestJet realistically announce their actual Winter 24/25 routes and schedule?

(They are selling seats through March 2025 already, I suppose using some assumptions about what routes and schedules might be in the future — but with WS booking anything more than a few months out always is always super risky.)

Last year, IIRC, they didn’t finalize their winter routes until late July … really, really late by “major carrier” standards (but perhaps not compared to vacation carriers and charters). It’s also super late for travellers who want/need to reserve their own accommodations before they book up.

We’re looking to nail down both a big ‘late fall’ trip and a sunny family meet-up at Christmas as soon as it’s feasible. (Accommodation bookings hinge on flight availability.) But any November or December booking made now for WestJet is hypothetical at best! I’d like some certainty about routes and schedule.

So, when they might announce?
Probably in July again. The 787 routes (the long haul ones) may get finalized within the next few weeks.

Though with S24, they seemed to do it in waves, so maybe the same will happen for winter.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodcory View Post
Probably in July again.
Argh. For what we're aiming to book (and the number of things we need to coordinate to plan our two trips) July is aggravatingly late.

I think AC typically rolls out each year's winter sched and routes in May of every year (so we can probably expect their 24/25 version to come out pretty soon).

Why does WestJet lag 2 months behind?

Edited to add: Another airline announcing now (not at the end of July!). Today (May 3) Delta did another significant winter route announcement — sun destination flights (Caribbean and LatAm) from Detroit, Boston and Atlanta - plus additional Mexico service from LAX. Schedules are being loaded, and flights are becoming bookable. Westjet: c’mon. Stop being so late to announce.

Last edited by Tobuz; May 4, 2024 at 2:18 AM.

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Argh. For what we're aiming to book (and the number of things we need to coordinate to plan our two trips) July is aggravatingly late.

I think AC typically rolls out each year's winter sched and routes in May of every year (so we can probably expect their 24/25 version to come out pretty soon).

Edited to add: Another airline announcing now (not at the end of July!). Today (May 3) Delta did another significant winter route announcement — sun destination flights (Caribbean and LatAm) from Detroit, Boston and Atlanta - plus additional Mexico service from LAX. Schedules are being loaded, and flights are becoming bookable. Westjet: c’mon. Stop being so late to announce.
I suppose it gives them more time to plan and see the performance of their routes to make a more optimal schedule. Even AC has recently been making more changes with shorter notice (mainly frequency reductions/additions) after the rollout of their schedule.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:08 PM

Starting today, FCO joins the daily club.

Next week will be a busy week for route resumptions with WS returning to EDI, DEN, ORD, BOS, YYG, YQT along with launching KEF, ICN, YDF

Quote:

This is how they've been doing it for years. Also as I suspected they began making changes this weekend, removing 4 routes. So I suspect we will get small changes here and there before the full schedule release in July.

I imagine we'll get official word on whether NRT is going year-round shortly too.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure