HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 12:55 AM

Hmm...I'm going to have to sit and stare at the new renderings for a while. My first impressions is that the cladding has too many vertical lines in it. which is making it seem very busy to me.

I'm liking the rendering from this angle:

But not so much from this angle:

Don't get me wrong i'm very pleased that this is getting built. I guess it's just the vibe i'm getting from a couple of the renderings. like the lighting could be slightly different or something. Anyways, thanks for posting them Architecture buff.

Last edited by Hawk; Feb 9, 2014 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 3:39 AM

I'm very impressed with the design of this building. It will be unique for the Boise area. I do wish it were white instead of brown, but overall I think this building will turn out nicely.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 6:36 AM

Devil's in the details

Rederings give the building an old prison look with the ribbed composite material. If they used the light colorded granite? around the entry, it would make the building quite elegant.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 8:41 AM
Always running Late

I think that the bulk of this building goes against the open space concept they were originally trying to provide. while there is a passage way from the convention center through the blocks, the L-shape turns the entire project inward onto itself a bit, severely reducing the amount of open space around the Jump complex especially considering the other side of the jump complex is a wall of parking garage. I'm worried it might take away from potential street presence.. I really feel that simplot could have given us a signature 20+story 300-400 foot tower on this site, and kept it more narrow on the corner of 11th and front, in turn preserving a nice open grass and tree protected space between any future convention center expansion and the Jump Complex.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 4:15 PM

That building is really ugly. I'm having a hard time grasping how anyone would design that out of the infinite realm of possibilities and just go, "yep, nailed it!". And hopefully someone does this on that horribly huge cement wall facing Front.

http://senseslost.com/2011/03/02/kid...nguisher-tags/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
Design Review Feb12,2014

Adamson Associates Renderings:

I like this angle.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 10:03 PM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
I think that the bulk of this building goes against the open space concept they were originally trying to provide. while there is a passage way from the convention center through the blocks, the L-shape turns the entire project inward onto itself a bit, severely reducing the amount of open space around the Jump complex especially considering the other side of the jump complex is a wall of parking garage. I'm worried it might take away from potential street presence.. I really feel that simplot could have given us a signature 20+story 300-400 foot tower on this site, and kept it more narrow on the corner of 11th and front, in turn preserving a nice open grass and tree protected space between any future convention center expansion and the Jump Complex.
While I definitely agree with you in principal, I understand Simplot's reasoning for a large footprint building vs a taller alternative. This comes down to their core business model. Simplot prefers large, more open floorplates as they believe this is good for morale, communicaition and comfort. Whereas a highrise, while more attractive to us skyscraper fans and would support a more open street level experience, segregates workers into smaller floorplates making them feel closed off. This vision is not unique to simplot, but shared by most modern tech companies, especially in the west. So, yes I would prefer a taller building with a smaller footprint as well, but I respect the fact that this doesn't fit Simplot's business model and will accept the direction they've chosen to take.

I do hope they choose the rethink the upper level cladding though, strikes me as a bit too utilitarian.
Also, they could aid Pedestrian friendliness and such if they choose to put a few small retail fronts around this massive building. inside the "park area" as well as along Front st. It wouldn't hog a lot of floorsplace but would significantly improve the charm of the area. I don't know if this is already in the plan or not. Just thinking on the forum.

I still like the project overall though

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 10:14 PM
Closed account

Here is a web site with a mixed ribbed bldg.
I agree Simplot is building a head quarters not a public building. It is for their workers, and working together in large areas. The public will probably never even get access to most floors. Adamson Associates are following their clients needs in this design. It will be interesting what design review says about this exterior. The renderings of the ribbing reminds me of something out of the 60s. A smoother look will make this building a stand out, and overall the design is very good.

http://www.american-architecture.inf...and/NE-032.htm

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 10:39 PM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
Here is a web site with a mixed ribbed bldg.
I agree Simplot is building a head quarters not a public building. It is for their workers, and working together in large areas. The public will probably never even get access to most floors. Adamson Associates are following their clients needs in this design. It will be interesting what design review says about this exterior. The renderings of the ribbing reminds me of something out of the 60s. A smoother look will make this building a stand out, and overall the design is very good.

http://www.american-architecture.inf...and/NE-032.htm
I'm going to file this link under "worst case scenario"
If this is what that render signifies, I really hope there are some persuasive people with a little taste on design review. If they went with a sleek cladding, approaching that of the Wells Fargo bldg to offset the Cubist look, this building could be stunning.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
I'm going to file this link under "worst case scenario"
If this is what that render signifies, I really hope there are some persuasive people with a little taste on design review. If they went with a sleek cladding, approaching that of the Wells Fargo bldg to offset the Cubist look, this building could be stunning.
I agree and I'm not really seeing much of a similarity facade-wise between the buildings in that link and the renderings of the new Simplot HQ.
This link to the pdsonline with the city shows one example of the exterior cladding, Boise Sandstone on page 24 and more info regarding the facade on page 44.

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...02060854507850

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 11:40 PM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I agree and I'm not really seeing much of a similarity facade-wise between the buildings in that link and the renderings of the new Simplot HQ.
This link to the pdsonline with the city shows one example of the exterior cladding, Boise Sandstone on page 24 and more info regarding the facade on page 44.

While, I'm nervous about how the precast concrete will look, overall I'm encouraged by the DRC requiring them to break up the large blank walls somehow. It will be interesting to see how this is handled. Also, it looks as though there will indeed be a bit of retail and restaurant space included.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 11:43 PM

Most corporations don't want towers for their headquarters. They don't work for them. I think it is great they're staying Downtown. They are an agriculture based business, they could have built some sprawling campus in the suburbs.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 12:03 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post

Looking at the exterior cladding materials on the city pds, it is concrete and sandstone as the link I posted is similar...not the same. I posted it because at a close look you can see the ribbing.

A close look at adamson associates rendering.

Curtain wall with predominate glazing and precast textured and integral color concrete

The ground level of the office building is finished with a Boise Sandstone Veneer Panel. On
the north elevation this treatment extends to the second floor on the middle block of the
façade. On the west elevation the southern section has the second floor finished in the
sandstone veneer and this wraps the building to the interior. The remainder of the ground
level is finished with a glass storefront using Low E Laminated Glazing.
The upper levels are finished in one of two shades of textured precast concrete panel. The
glass on the upper levels is the same Low E Laminated Glazing used on the lower floors.
The changes in color match the changes in wall planes so they are at rational points on the
building façade.
The annex building is finished with the Boise Sandstone Veneer Panels along the Front Street
elevation. This material is for the first two levels of the 82-foot long wall section. Storefront
then angles back from the Front Street property line. The upper levels of the building are
finished with the precast textured concrete panels

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Feb 11, 2014 at 12:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:33 AM

I'm sorry but this building should be a glistening jewel. I like the architectural skeleton with the offset blocks. It gives it a very interesteing and different look from each perspective. But the courduroy concrete is really abhorant in my opintion. Imagine the structure clad in polished stone or simulated stone of lighter colors. It would be stunning. I can't tell about the powder-coated metal finish, but that could glisten as well. It would keep the functional shape which I think is innovative. Please Design Review Board, help kindly guide this to a shining city on a hill motif.

Also, renderings of JUMP & Simplot buildings should be done as a whole. The project is the only Mega Block project that will be done in Boise as a single statement and the two components should resonate off one another.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 2:40 AM

The design review Committee did a wonderful job in having them redesign JUMP. Hopefully they'll have them choose a different material for the HQ as well. Like the rest of you, I'm loving everything about the Building Except the precast concrete.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:05 AM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
The design review Committee did a wonderful job in having them redesign JUMP. Hopefully they'll have them choose a different material for the HQ as well. Like the rest of you, I'm loving everything about the Building Except the precast concrete.

i agree.

i'm a fan of the design, but i hate the brown and precast lines. and i also agree that unless a Simplot sign is planned for that large concrete wall on front street, i hope they make them rethink that, as well. (though if it includes a nice backlit sign, that'd take away from the blandness of that wall).

also, i do disagree about companies wanting larger footprints. i worked in a tower before (30 floors i think) that had every 3 consecutive floors connected nicely with a common area featuring staircases to a corner atrium, couches, meeting rooms and (in our case) a water feature. it worked beautifully to connect the floors and encourage collaboration in the common area, and i felt closer to my colleagues a floor or two above me than i would if they were two blocks away on the same floor in the same building.

but i won't complain too much. this HQ and JUMP are both a serious and pleasant gift to the city, one of many the Simplot family has given the valley and state for decades.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:43 AM
Closed account

The Simplot people read this forum, as we know they use our photos. Maybe they will read our concerns on the exterior materials. The early rendering had a smooth look, and better windows with more glass area. It would be interesting who asked for the change. I like the design, but the concrete ribbing is an old fashion look.
This is from the pds:

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Feb 11, 2014 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 6:25 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 7:34 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Thanks for posting the renderings Architecture_Buff, great find!

I have to say though, the vertical lines are more interesting to me than the previous design. I do think it would look stunning if instead of a "Boise Sandstone" facade it were silver, but to me this is an improvement.

It looks like overall there's more glass and it's not quite as monotonous. The only thing I feel is a step back is the 3rd building with the Auditorium and Rooftop Gardens (I can't recall their name for it offhand). But the above is an important rendering as it shows how the glass which will break up the brown and not make it look utilitarian. Thinking of the qualities of the glass they're using, I'm compelled to think that best represents how it's going to look from most angles in real life.

At the end of the day I'm just pleased that Simplot is staying downtown. As Welcome2Boise puts it so well, it would've been so easy and so typical for a company like them to relocate to the burbs, but they committed to downtown. As awesome as it would've been to see a new tallest, I respect whatever design they felt would be best suited to their company. They are a for-profit business and need the design that works best for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
While I definitely agree with you in principal, I understand Simplot's reasoning for a large footprint building vs a taller alternative. This comes down to their core business model. Simplot prefers large, more open floorplates as they believe this is good for morale, communicaition and comfort. Whereas a highrise, while more attractive to us skyscraper fans and would support a more open street level experience, segregates workers into smaller floorplates making them feel closed off. This vision is not unique to simplot, but shared by most modern tech companies, especially in the west. So, yes I would prefer a taller building with a smaller footprint as well, but I respect the fact that this doesn't fit Simplot's business model and will accept the direction they've chosen to take.

I do hope they choose the rethink the upper level cladding though, strikes me as a bit too utilitarian.
Also, they could aid Pedestrian friendliness and such if they choose to put a few small retail fronts around this massive building. inside the "park area" as well as along Front st. It wouldn't hog a lot of floorsplace but would significantly improve the charm of the area. I don't know if this is already in the plan or not. Just thinking on the forum.

I still like the project overall though

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Feb 11, 2014 at 7:48 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2014, 3:46 PM
Let's Go Brandon!

IMO this almost looks like aged, untreated wood. Reminds me of some of my neighbors' fences.

Seriously, these look like aged wooden fence panels, knots and all.

Brown brick would look better than this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West