HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 2:48 PM

20-22 Bank Street reported by Philly Mag

Other than the garage doors, looks pretty good.

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...t/#gallery-2-3

Quote:
Nia said construction is expected to begin in spring 2016 and last about a year.

http://cdn.phillymag.com/wp-content/...2-768x1024.jpg

http://cdn.phillymag.com/wp-content/...-1-529x705.jpg

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
No comment!

I think it would only be slightly more expensive but I don't think it's necessarily any better than wood... And I'm not exactly sure what you can use for load bearing walls. Wood frame buildings should last a very long time if done right..
Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Other than the garage doors, looks pretty good.
Those "streets" look barely wide enough to accommodate a horse cart, let alone an automobile.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:24 PM

Agreed, unless everyone who parks there has a smart car, I can't imagine how anyone would fit a car into those spaces. But regardless, I don't find the garages too offensive since they are on a mostly pedestrian street non-commercial street that won't take away on-street parking. All things considered, this is just about the best case scenario, especially since there are not too many buildings with garages in the immediate vicinity. The nimby's get their parking while it doesn't kill street life nor takeaway on-street parking. Overall I like this building, glad to see Old City densify!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorkishdork View Post
Agreed, unless everyone who parks there has a smart car, I can't imagine how anyone would fit a car into those spaces. But regardless, I don't find the garages too offensive since they are on a mostly pedestrian street non-commercial street that won't take away on-street parking. All things considered, this is just about the best case scenario, especially since there are not too many buildings with garages in the immediate vicinity. The nimby's get their parking while it doesn't kill street life nor takeaway on-street parking. Overall I like this building, glad to see Old City densify!
Agreed. "Back of house" stuff has to go somewhere. These garages will front on glorified alleys and won't do any harm. I just have to wonder how useful they'll be. I think that my snowblower is wider than those streets.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:39 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the new bill prohibited any type of new developments that has any garage element to them, from having permits to build, especially in Old City....So how did this project get approved?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverboie View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the new bill prohibited any type of new developments that has any garage element to them, from having permits to build, especially in Old City....So how did this project get approved?
That bill has not passed yet. Which means this project was likely approved beforehand. Also, I think it's only garages fronting major commercial corridors, not side streets/alleys.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Those "streets" look barely wide enough to accommodate a horse cart, let alone an automobile.
My brother used to live on Bank street right there in the 90s. It was definitely wide enough to drive through. We would illegally park in that parking lot all the time!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 5:34 PM

Quote:

I proposed 19 units for 3rd and Cecil b Moore, nice density for that block
Larry these are lovely! Also, dare I say on the gentrification frontline.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:27 PM

Some Old City updates:

Digging this project

The National Old City site ongoing demolition

Thought this was kind of funny.. new construction on a TINY Old City side street! This guy struggled mightily to get out haha

2nd + Walnut townhouses finishing up.. they are going to look amazingballs once completed!

New townhouses going up at Front + Sansom Walk

Stunning historical renovation on Chestnut

American Revolution Museum getting there

3rd + Market looks sharp

Except for this portion, it looks unfinished and cheap... god I'm picky

Hopefully some nice renovation work going on here

The infamous 3rd + Arch townhouses.. They actually aren't that horrible looking in person, just those garages ahhhh. I mean they could have done a nice multi unit project with retail and kept the same aesthetic and I would have been perfectly fine with it!

3rd + Arch is for sale.. What a location!

Bazaar or huge farmers market under the bridge, anyone?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 6:58 PM

^^^ Great updates! Thank you. Gotta love the cloud camouflage on that monstrous billboard. That poor driver makes my point about the usefulness of the garages in the Bank Street project.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 7:13 PM

Great updates! Idk why they don't open up under the bridge for parking. Never made sense to me.

The 100 Block of Walnut townhomes are amazing.

Finally those rundown buildings got renovated on the 200 block of Chestnut! Amazing looking

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Great updates! Idk why they don't open up under the bridge for parking. Never made sense to me.

The 100 Block of Walnut townhomes are amazing.

Finally those rundown buildings got renovated on the 200 block of Chestnut! Amazing looking
Yeah, if you're going to have surface lots, that's the sort of place to put them. Covered parking! I'm sure DRPA wouldn't mind the revenue, so go figure.

I'm glad to see that block of Walnut finally get developed. I specifically remember going to see Amadeus in the movie theater below the PPA garage (in the early Eighties). They were busy tearing down the last two Trinities on that block and you could hear it inside -- all for two more parking spaces that were there for decades. I still remember the lovely preservationist girl crying a river when I left the theatre.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I think it's a public safety thing, maybe post-9/11 policy

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 8:01 PM

I would say more of an infrastructure problem. Probably chunks of things falling off

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 9:23 PM

Quote:
I was told that that space used to be parking until 9/11 when they closed it with no plans to reopen it.

I've always dreamed, however, of someone installing a staircase or some sort to allow access to the bridge at 3rd street. The BF bridge is amazing to walk on, but having to go to franklin square to get to it is not necessarily daunting, but it is out of the way that makes it less of a "traveled" or "touristed" attraction.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 1:32 AM

Philadelphia named as a host city for 2016 Copa America Centenario soccer tournament

Philadelphia was selected Thursday by CONCACAF and CONMEBOL as a host city for the Copa America Centenario international soccer tournament next year.
Lincoln Financial Field was one of 10 stadiums that will host matches in the United States during the tournament, which will take place from June 3 to 26.

Philly picked up another major event, that will be televise overseas.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-2016copa.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
I was told that that space used to be parking until 9/11 when they closed it with no plans to reopen it.

I've always dreamed, however, of someone installing a staircase or some sort to allow access to the bridge at 3rd street. The BF bridge is amazing to walk on, but having to go to franklin square to get to it is not necessarily daunting, but it is out of the way that makes it less of a "traveled" or "touristed" attraction.
Used to go to St. Georges back in the sixties and the Candlelight Christmas service used to park the buses under the bridge

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 12:33 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
It is a public safety issue.
Decades ago, I got electrocuted under the Ben Franklin bridge.
There was an exposed cable that caught my pants.

I was lucky I didn't touch it directly.

I fear that some unlucky animal would get hurt.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 3:53 AM

With all the new construction in Old City we might have to start calling it "New" City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development