HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 9, 2020, 9:48 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2019 in Muscat, Oman

Muscat was the start and finish of my Oman road trip adventure. While I focused on the historic and natural attractions elsewhere in the country, I still allocated one full day for sightseeing in the city to match up with my flight time. Similar to other places in the area, there are impressive mosques, busy markets, and historic architecture, although the crowds are smaller here.

The city doesn't have that many highrises, so views from hotels can be quite nice even on a seemingly low floor.

Make it out to the elaborately-decorated Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque first thing in the morning. They're only open a few hours in the morning a day most days of the week.

Muscat has plenty of coastline, and one of the popular activities is to go dolphin watching just offshore. All cruises depart from a central location in the eastern outskirts at set times during the day.

Mutrah is Muscat's old commercial hub. Unlike the old port that was hard to access by land, this part could be reached by camel caravans, which continued until the 1960s. The attractions are within walking distance and the beautiful corniche is worth a stroll.

The souk is nowhere near Istanbul's Grand Bazaar, though it can still get quite busy when the cruise ships are in town. The main entrance starts at the corniche and is sheltered, but do make your way around the side alleys for some surprises.

More on my website and in the next part : https://www.globalphotos.org/muscat.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos