HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 1:53 PM

revisiting the stuart k. oliver house

this photograph, taken in January of 1969 from a roof top above beaudry shows the stuart k. oliver house standing solitary on it's hilltop perch. notice the winding road that leads up the hill to give access to the house from the south. this is required, as hope street at this point in time, really doesn't exist. there is certainly no access to 4th street.

if you look just to the right of center, you can see the castle and saltbox packed up, and ready to be transported to heritage square to meet their final fate.

Source: LAPL database El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument collection

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
whilst mindlessly parusin' the dick whittington collection at the usc archives, (hey a fella's gotta have a hobby, and since i don't golf.............), anyway, i happened upon this photograph which was confusing me, as i couldn't quite pin down from where it was taken, and what it actually was looking at....

Source: USC Digital Archives http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...4443-ISLA?v=hr
Here is a close up of the intersection of 4th & Beaudry visible in the previous picture.

Source: USC Digital Archives http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets.../AAA-EN-134-10

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 10:58 PM

LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics44/00071904.jpg

e_r: Comparing your first shot and your third, and the one I include here, it's apparent that the Wilshire facade of the Rex was truncated for boulevard's widening. I think there are b&a pics of Wilshire's widening here on the thread somewhere--maybe they will reveal more about this. Edit: see the pic in Beaudry's post of Dec 22:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Love these, always love the Rex Arms, which was more ornate once until its streamlining, due in part I think to Wilshire's widening.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7294653@N07/1389516175/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
re: The area replaced by the Harbor Freeway. I believe these are new to the thread.

below: Notice the Rex Arms lower left hand side. You can see Bullocks Wilshire's tower way in the distance.

usc digital archive

below: The Rex Arms can still be seen...extreme lower left.

usc digital archive

below: Looking west on Wilshire from Figueroa in 1934.

usc digital archive

The Rex Arms in this photo differs from the previous two photographs. Was there a serious addition...or have I screwed something up?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 11:09 PM

rex arms mystery solv-ed, (thanx to GW's heads up on the widening of wilshire)

i know this image has been posted here previously, (but alas to lazy to look), however, since we have a reason to post it again, i present you a wounded south wing of the rex, otherwise known as, taking one for the team......

widening of wilshire looking east from kip street 1934, (i sure hope they remembered not to rent out those south wing rooms that week)

Source: USC Digital Archive

rex arms bulked up and fat 1931

Rex Arms slimmed down and svelte 1934

it's the wilshire diet!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 11:48 PM

Did the original Angel's Flight rails

cross Clay Street at grade? It appears in your first picture and other photgraphs I've seen that the original rail-set run up to Clay and then rise up at a greater angle to the summit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Here's the evolution (or devolution) of the 3rd St. Tunnel area of Bunker Hill:

3rd and Hill, 1901

3rd and Hill, 1903

3rd and Hill, circa 1910

3rd and Hill, circa late 1920s

3rd and Hill, 1930s

3rd and Hill, 1950

3rd and Hill, late 1960s

3rd and Hill, 1978

3rd and Hill, 1986

All pics from lapl.org

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 12:44 AM
All aboard the Failboat

just a little something i found from the upcoming game L.A. Noire, I've noticed the old hall of records has had quite a bit of screen time in this thread, and i'm willing to bet there are a fair few who would love to step through it's doors, now, thanks to one of the most detailed games i've ever seen, we will get that chance

picture from Rockstar games, 2k and team bondi at www.rockstargames.com/newswire

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
did angels flight cross Clay Street at grade?
yes, when 1st built angels flight did cross clay street at grade. in 1906, they closed the railroad for several months to rebuild the track to cross above clay street.

it was closed again in 1910 to install a larger more powerful motor mechanism. from that point on, it didn't close until........well 1969

Source: LAPL

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:11 AM

Thanks GJS. I probably rode Angel's Flight a couple

of dozen times as a young boy. It was one of our favorite things in the late '40's-early '50's.

Quote:
yes, when 1st built angels flight did cross clay street at grade. in 1906, they closed the railroad for several months to rebuild the track to cross above clay street.

it was closed again in 1910 to install a larger more powerful motor mechanism. from that point on, it didn't close until........well 1969

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:19 AM

Before South Park,

there was the South Park from which it stole its name... forty blocks south, between 49th/51st streets and S. San Pedro St./Avalon Blvd.:

LAPL http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics01/00010010.jpg

Google Street View
The quadruple rows of palms are still mostly intact.

http://www.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal6.html

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 2:29 AM

Quote:
rex arms mystery solv-ed, (thanx to GW's heads up on the widening of wilshire)

i know this image has been posted here previously, (but alas to lazy to look), however, since we have a reason to post it again, i present you a wounded south wing of the rex, otherwise known as, taking one for the team......

widening of wilshire looking east from kip street 1934, (i sure hope they remembered not to rent out those south wing rooms that week)

rex arms bulked up and fat 1931

Rex Arms slimmed down and svelte 1934

it's the wilshire diet!
Amazing!
I can't believe I never noticed that the Rex Arms' southern face was sacrificed for a wider Wilshire Blvd.

Good detective work GaylordWilshire & gsjansen.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 3:02 AM

I found these extraordinary negatives on ebay a couple months ago. The negatives show a celebration and parade in Los Angeles.
There were no details or dates.

ebay

ebay

ebay

below: This negative aroused my interest the most.....the building, under all that bunting, looked vaguely familiar to me.

ebay

After going through my files I finally decided the photograph was of the Elk's Building (aka B.P.O.E.) at the summit of Angels Flight.

below: Here is the same photo that I changed to black & white just for fun.

ebay

below: Here is a photograph of the Elk's Building atop Angels Flight. (compare the two photos)

usc digital archive

For once I solved a mystery on my own.

That said, I wonder what the hotel is directly south of the Elk's Building (all you can see is the sign 'hotel' in the vertical photograph).

Anyone??

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 15, 2011 at 3:28 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 4:19 AM

Quote:

That said, I wonder what the hotel is directly south of the Elk's Building (all you can see is the sign 'hotel' in the vertical photograph).

Anyone??
Originally known as the New Maryton, it was known as La Casa de Don Leon before being torn down.

the only image i can find of it for the moment is this one just prior to it's demolition in 1967. you can see a portion of the sign on the side indicating that it is la casa de don leon

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:25 PM

and once again i must apologize for making everyone side scroll, but this is an interesting 1931 "Heart of Los Angeles" map that is so wonderfully detailed, that it needs to be seen in large format to truly appreciate. I only wish that it covered more ground than it does....but hey!, i always take what i can get!

(warning, do not try viewong this with a smart phone)

Source: LAPL Map Collections

interesting that bunker hill avenue is called cinnabar and cinnabar is called................errrrrr....nothing, (as is sack alley, but hey, at least sack alley is graphically shown which usually it's not)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 7:59 PM

What a stunning map!!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 9:17 PM

gs-- Amazing detail. That's the best map I know of for locating businesses in that period. It's interesting that today residential development is reasserting itself downtown--the history of the area in the first couple of decades of the 20th century involved commercial development overtaking residential at an incredible clip. One day there's a block of not-so-old Victorian houses, the next a skyscraper (i.e., the Pacific Electric Building at Main & 6th). Some residential buildings hung on to the '30s--apartment buildings if not detached houses. The Percival, 835 S. Hill:

http://www.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal8a.html

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 5:08 AM

what great map. shows many of the busineses of 1931.i am doing research (images) on a certian area which was know as "car row" or "car dealer row" in perticular Felix Chevrolet when they were at 1201 s. grand starting in 1931.I have a great dealer show room picture that will post when i learn how do that. not to computer savy. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for any help on this subject.QUOTE=gsjansen;5165793]and once again i must apologize for making everyone side scroll, but this is an interesting 1931 "Heart of Los Angeles" map that is so wonderfully detailed, that it needs to be seen in large format to truly appreciate. I only wish that it covered more ground than it does....but hey!, i always take what i can get!

interesting that bunker hill avenue is called cinnabar and cinnabar is called................errrrrr....nothing, (as is sack alley, but hey, at least sack alley is graphically shown which usually it's not)[/QUOTE]

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 5:19 AM

Quote:
I found these extraordinary negatives on ebay a couple months ago. The negatives show a celebration and parade in Los Angeles.
There were no details or dates.

ebay

ebay

ebay

below: This negative aroused my interest the most.....the building, under all that bunting, looked vaguely familiar to me.

ebay

After going through my files I finally decided the photograph was of the Elk's Building (aka B.P.O.E.) at the summit of Angels Flight.

below: Here is the same photo that I changed to black & white just for fun.

ebay

below: Here is a photograph of the Elk's Building atop Angels Flight. (compare the two photos)

usc digital archive

For once I solved a mystery on my own.

Anyone??
gsj is right-on (as always) about the New Maryton. Here's my wild supposition as to What's Going On: it's early September, 1908, and the Elks are parading to commemorate their new digs up on Bunker Hill! http://www.onbunkerhill.org/elksannex Ok, I like to think that. But truth is, I'm 99% certain this is the famous Elks cavalcade of July 1909 as well documented in the Times and Elks lore and much Elky 1909 goodness routinely findable on eBay.

That first image, we're looking from mid 500s, down B'way, that's the 1906-7 H. Jevne Co Bldg (groceries and sundries) across 6th at left (got a major makeover by Parkinson, 1918). Then some low buildings where the Swelldom will go, and the Metropolitan annex, in the early 20s. The building with the arches, 549-543, is still with us, sort of: http://www.you-are-here.com/broadway/hartfields.html ...The low white four-window Milton Hotel, 541-537, is lost to http://www.you-are-here.com/broadway/richman.html... The one that says "formerly owner of stores" 535 S Bway is known as the Emporium, was built in 1903, and...well, Google streetmap it. Shudder. 537 up from it is replaced in 1930, the building looks like crap now, but has amazing deco sidewalk terrazzo.

Second image, the corner of 525 (1893, still there, looks like hell). Fitzgerald Music at 523 (the Meyer Bldg, 1903, also still with us, also looks like hell), Swelldom (before they moved down to the corner) at 521 -- they share the Remick Bldg with Mammoth Shoes at 519.

Note the BPOE banner -- tips us off to the Elks parade.
Also and interesting shot in that they were shooting it (if my 1909 theory is correct) given the vantage point on a building with borrowed time -- Clune's Broadway (now the Cameo Theater) would be built on that spot and open in October 1910.

Third shot, all of these buildings are still here -- http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics08/00013811.jpg -- looking up Bway from 4th. But you wouldn't know it, really, as most have been cut down so much. Parkinson's 1896 Homer Laughlin (tallest one in distance) maintains its integrity to this day, at least. (And that's definitely an Elks symbol hanging from the wires above!)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1939er View Post
what great map. shows many of the busineses of 1931.i am doing research (images) on a certian area which was know as "car row" or "car dealer row" in perticular Felix Chevrolet when they were at 1201 s. grand starting in 1931.I have a great dealer show room picture that will post when i learn how do that. not to computer savy. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE for any help on this subject.QUOTE=gsjansen;5165793]and once again i must apologize for making everyone side scroll, but this is an interesting 1931 "Heart of Los Angeles" map that is so wonderfully detailed, that it needs to be seen in large format to truly appreciate. I only wish that it covered more ground than it does....but hey!, i always take what i can get!

interesting that bunker hill avenue is called cinnabar and cinnabar is called................errrrrr....nothing, (as is sack alley, but hey, at least sack alley is graphically shown which usually it's not)
[/QUOTE]

This map is genius! Can't stop staring at it. And it never really occurred to me that the subway might rattle people in the Fremont or Granada...every time I look at it I find something new, and, more importantly, something unique to 1931, which was a fascinating time specifically...

1939er (1939, also a great year!) welcome to the fold, brother! I too have always had a fascination with the old auto zone. I wrote a bit about it here http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=14656 ...go down to 1919 in this http://onbunkerhill.org/ArchitectsBuilding#comment-110 and there's a bit about the REO showroom at 12th & Hope... but it's more than just auto row, downtown was thick with dealerships, gas and service stations, equipment shops, paint, parts, body shops, ad automobilium. I know I have some images of a couple of the fixit stations that were around 12th & Grand. Have to dig those out. I suppose you have the postcard of Kelley Kar at 12th & Fig? It's pretty common. (But if ya don't, say the word.)

Again, good times!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 9:57 AM

After having gotten all worked up about parades along Broadway, I couldn't help but pull some RPPC out of the vaster pile of...vasterness. Another parade image, including some camel and an elephant, roughly contemporary to the last one I wrote 'bout.

Another parade, down a few blocks shot from the other side of the street. How do we know this? Obviously by way of Tallys.

The Tallys at 833 South Broadway:

Electrified ad astra at some point later:

She may be best remembered here -- don't get me wrong, with good reason, to the legion who discover her through Lloyd's work. Note how the building to her north in the original image is replaced by a kind of pitch-roofed Norman deal not too long after.

(Now, let's be quite effing clear right off the bat, lads. We're not speaking of Tally's New Broadway. She of 544. No.)

That's a whole 'nother discussion into which we'll get into soon I'm certain, or at least I hope...

photo credits http://jpg2.lapl.org/theater2/00015469.jpg http://jpg2.lapl.org/theater2/00015464.jpg http://jpg2.lapl.org/theater2/00015466.jpg http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Ll...Last%29_01.jpg http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/...and=calisphere

Last edited by Beaudry; Feb 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

LAPL

Somehow I doubt that the title The Dumb Girl of Portici would go over so well for a film made today.

Marc Wanamaker/Bison Archives/www.answers.com

Caption per answers.com: "[Ballerina] Anna Pavlova’s undistinguished foray into Hollywood in
1915 to star in The Dumb Girl of Portici at Universal Pictures under female director Lois Weber.
That’s Pavlova getting manhandled on the left. At the far right stands Weber, megaphone in
her hand."

filmreference.com

Per answers.com: "Dumb Girl of Portici is famous today as the film in which Boris Karloff made his movie debut. This 'fact' is open to debate: Karloff himself had no memories of the film's star, flamboyant dancing diva Anna Pavlova, and [a] bow-legged extra in the crowd scenes, photographed from behind, may or may not be 'our Boris.'... [T]he film's storyline is based upon Daniel Francois Esprit's opera Masaniello. Anna Pavlova plays Fenella, the surprisingly non-dancing heroine, in this epic romantic tragedy."

Noir and Chick Flicks/dawnschickflicks.blogspot.com
In the cast of The Dumb Girl of Portici was also Lois Wilson
(right), who performed in 150 movies, including the role of
Daisy in the first film version of The Great Gatsby (1926).
She acted with such leading male stars as Rudolph Valentino
and John Gilbert, and even in talkies with our 40th President
(The Girl From Jones Beach, 1949). I really only include
this picture because of the classic bungalow background.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Feb 16, 2011 at 5:54 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos