HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 3:27 AM

Rumor is Joe Rogan may be moving his podcast “empire” to Austin.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 6:26 AM

Not a ton of jobs in that I'd imagine, but def still interesting. He'll be close by for any further Elon interviews haha

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 1:45 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Rumor is Joe Rogan may be moving his podcast “empire” to Austin.
Does this have something to do with his new, $100 million licensing deal with Spotify?

EDIT: Nope. Sorry. He, among many others, is frustrated with California. That's why he is pondering a move to "Texas." It seems he made a comment about in mid-May about it. Also, doesn't he have something to do with Onnit Labs, Inc. (health supplements, sports drinks, a gym) in Austin?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 6:50 PM

I've idly wondered if podcast cities will eventually emerge. Even though the medium is is built perfectly for remote work . . . remote is kind of lonely. All the other art forms seem to like to cluster together in cities and neighborhoods. I wonder if podcasting will start to do that, too.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I've idly wondered if podcast cities will eventually emerge. Even though the medium is is built perfectly for remote work . . . remote is kind of lonely. All the other art forms seem to like to cluster together in cities and neighborhoods. I wonder if podcasting will start to do that, too.
Even "digital nomads" still need a place to huddle up with like-minded people from time to time.

We'll never fully replace being in person and/or proximity for business purposes, and I think that is a good thing. 'Real' business will always get done face to face (think sales, relationship building, real estate decisions, etc).

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Does this have something to do with his new, $100 million licensing deal with Spotify?

EDIT: Nope. Sorry. He, among many others, is frustrated with California. That's why he is pondering a move to "Texas." It seems he made a comment about in mid-May about it. Also, doesn't he have something to do with Onnit Labs, Inc. (health supplements, sports drinks, a gym) in Austin?
He said recently he dined at Lonesome Dove, after house shopping in Texas. LD has a location in Fort Worth as well. Maybe he goes there? If he comes to Austin, it could be great for the local comedy scene (which is pretty stale IMHO) as well as the podcast scene. He's got an enormous, loyal following. If he says he's moving to Austin, I could easily his endorsement affecting listeners and companies alike. When he endorses a product for instance, the sponsors see a big spike in sales...so I've heard.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 10:09 PM

Not all may be fans of Joe Rogan but he'll add to our 'weird' media thing. We've got Alex Jones (I know, I know) the Chive HQ, Total Frat Move, The Texas Tribune, Longhorn Network, Austin City Limits, SXSW and were the birth place of Twitter. We have lots of 'weird' media and I think in total that's a cool/good thing for the city.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
were the birth place of Twitter.
Austin is not the birth place of Twitter.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 2:52 PM

Love to Amazon from some Austin Media....

Amzon sure is making moves in Austin and the media is noticing.

Amazon signs lease in Round Rock industrial project

https://www.statesman.com/business/2...strial-project

“Continuing its rapid expansion in Central Texas, e-commerce giant Amazon has signed a lease for the entire 442,000 square feet of space in a new industrial project called Chisholm Trail Trade Center in Round Rock...the transaction is one of the largest industrial leases signed in Central Texas in recent years. For a size comparison of the distribution facility, he said the 442,000 square feet of space is roughly equivalent to eight Walmart retail stores….In Buda, south of Austin, Amazon plans to open another distribution facility this year in 305,000 square feet of leased space, bringing hundreds more jobs, according to published reports. That facility will be in Exeter Property Group’s Park 35 building.
The Buda and Chisholm Trail projects amount to nearly 750,000 square feet of space that Amazon has leased within the past two or three monthsIn nearby Pflugerville, and just east of Texas 130, Amazon is building a distribution center that will have 3.8 million square feet of space... That facility will be the biggest industrial distribution center to be built in the Central Texas region in two decades. “

Additional love to Amazon is from the Austin Business Journal that echos the Statesman article

Amazon's latest bite in Central Texas real estate feast: Entire suburban business park 
Space is roughly the size of 5 Walmart stores
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ial-lease.html

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Austin is not the birth place of Twitter.
It's coming out party and introduction to the world was during/at SXSW. I can't remember which year. I believe that is what is being referring to.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 3:26 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Twitter was 2007 at SXSW.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Not all may be fans of Joe Rogan but he'll add to our 'weird' media thing. We've got Alex Jones (I know, I know) the Chive HQ, Total Frat Move, The Texas Tribune, Longhorn Network, Austin City Limits, SXSW and were the birth place of Twitter. We have lots of 'weird' media and I think in total that's a cool/good thing for the city.
at the risk of sounding pedantic, I'd say the Chive, and Total Frat Move (which I was not familiar with) are basically the antithesis of weird. To me they kind of represent a caricatured version of the prevailing national culture. they're definitely alternative media, I just think of them as anti-weird if that makes sense. Joe Rogan probably falls along the same line, though he seems to occupy a somewhat different lane.

I guess I just think of "weird" as counter-cultural regardless of editorial leaning.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 9:15 PM

There is going to be a lot of added cost for Rogan to fly in guests and put them up in hotels if he records in person from Austin. If he records via Skype then I guess it doesn't matter.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 5:50 PM

BREAKING: Travis County considering Tesla incentives deal

https://www.statesman.com/business/2...aign=statesman

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 6:54 PM
クラブトクヨ

Nice! I was wondering when that was going to happen.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 6:55 PM

Hmm. I wonder where in Travis county. Maybe somewhere out by 130 near the cap metro rail line or along the UP rail maybe south of slaughter?

Last edited by freerover; Jun 15, 2020 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 6:59 PM

Wow I completely glossed over that. So Hutto's out?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Wow I completely glossed over that. So Hutto's out?
Doubt it. Tesla is prob fishing for the best deal.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 7:39 PM

I would be so happy if they went east of Manor along the cap metro rail line and used it to go east to connect to UP and gave cap metro some money to advance construction on the green line commuter train.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 11:55 PM

I'm still convinced they're going to take advantage of the Federal Opportunity Zones. Here are all of the Federal Opportunity Zones in Travis County. Only one of which is in the path of rail lines, the area south of Hwy 290 between Manor and Elgin.

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...7.2325,30.4691

Last edited by undergroundman; Jun 16, 2020 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Well it doesn't appear as though the map image of the Opportunity Zones want to render. So I added a link to the arcgis site

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin