HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 2:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

LIC progress:

Quote:
At the moment, there are at least seventeen buildings with 25 floors or more under construction or in planning, ten of which will tower over 40 stories. Combined, these projects will bring over 8,000 apartments, as well as hundreds of hotel rooms and well over 100,000 square feet of retail space.

September 2015:

2020:

=================
NYY

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 3:17 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Wow, so much going on in LIC! There's so much action in the city, it's beyond crazy.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 7:44 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Something is going on @340 Flatbush Ave!!

https://instagram.com/p/8Bl8puSZJi/
I think that's more like 1150'-1200', judging by where 1WTC and ESB cross the horizon.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
I think that's more like 1150'-1200', judging by where 1WTC and ESB cross the horizon.

What a tease!! Looks like well over 1000ft

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Mittlerer Osten kommt in die Stadt! :

This is always good news. When people from China and the Middle East want to pour capital into our cities, usually some very nice towers. Even if NYC see's 20 billion of that 35 billion, it could mean some magic in terms of skyscrapers. With scarce land, I sense supertalls in store for us. Creating American jobs = more towers.
===========================

Sovereign wealth fund opens NYC office to better access partners

Quote:
Qatar Planning $35 Billion of U.S. Investments to Diversify

Qatar plans to invest $35 billion in the U.S. over the next five years as it seeks to diversify assets.

The Qatar Investment Authority, which helps manage the country’s energy-generated wealth, opened an office in New York to "better access new and existing investment partners," the sovereign fund said in a statement Monday. It will target various sector of the U.S. economy and help create American jobs, Qatar’s ambassador to Washington, D.C., Mohammed Al Kuwari, said in Twitter postings, without giving more details on potential investments.

The Doha-based fund, which controls more than $250 billion, has deployed the nation’s riches on assets ranging from British bank Barclays Plc to Total SA and commodities trader Glencore Plc, with most of its investments so far confined to Europe. It led a group of investors that agreed in January to buy London’s Canary Wharf financial district in a deal that valued owner Songbird Estates Plc at about 2.6 billion pounds ($3.94 billion).

Some of those bets have unraveled in recent days. Glencore plunged as much as 31 percent on Monday, extending a rout that’s wiped more than $14 billion off its value this month amid investor concern the company isn’t cutting its debt load quick enough. The QIA is also the biggest holder of VW’s preferred shares and the third-largest owner of its ordinary stock. The value of its holding in the automaker may have declined by about 3.8 billion euros (4.3 billion) after last week’s controversy about rigged emissions testing.
Last year, QIA said it planned to set up a $10 billion investment venture with China’s Citic Group to diversify from retail and property assets in Europe. The fund also said it planned to invest as much as $20 billion in Asia in the next five years, and expand its offices in Beijing and New Delhi.

“With world economies, markets and currencies often moving in different cycles and rhythms, the importance of a globally diversified investment portfolio is central to QIA,” according to the statement. Diversification “is a key objective established by QIA’s strategic review,” it said.
==============================
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ew-york-office

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 3:29 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Are you secretly learning German Chris? Well, next time I'm in New York, we can talk some "Denglish".

CTBUH says 50 West has T/O and One Seaport is U/C!! Any conformation? Also, it looks like construction @111 Murray is immediate.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 6:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm trying to learn it. Eh, its a slow process. Laziness on my part. I have EU Citizenship (thanks to mother who is from Spain, so it was easy to get and a matter of paperwork and going to the embassy in NY). I'd like to have a home in Germany for the foreseeable future because IMO, Germany is the superior European country. Its the U.S. of Europe, but without the bs and and it has an intelligent population (unlike here for the most part). If we here could be more like Germany, then all is well. And so, I have great respect for the place because I see them as a model for the world, and I don't want a home in certain countries which are lazy, and think backwards. Hence why I pick the Northeast near NYC. Not many other places can compare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post

CTBUH says 50 West has T/O and One Seaport is U/C!! Any conformation? Also, it looks like construction @111 Murray is immediate.
Yes 50 West is structurally topped out and seaport is one its way to the sky. 111 Murray has demo work occurring. When I stopped at the site, equipment was in place, and it looks like they dug up much of the soil.

Hopefully our good friend JR will stop by. I wanted to go this weekend, but NJ has that potential hurricane on our way.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 11:21 PM
Ex Houstonian

Soon NYC will have the skyline of 2030 as seen in the severely underrated movie "The Time Machine"

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/arch...7316-p-62.html

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 11:30 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm trying to learn it. Eh, its a slow process. Laziness on my part. I have EU Citizenship (thanks to mother who is from Spain, so it was easy to get and a matter of paperwork and going to the embassy in NY). I'd like to have a home in Germany for the foreseeable future because IMO, Germany is the superior European country. Its the U.S. of Europe, but without the bs and and it has an intelligent population (unlike here for the most part). If we here could be more like Germany, then all is well. And so, I have great respect for the place because I see them as a model for the world, and I don't want a home in certain countries which are lazy, and think backwards. Hence why I pick the Northeast near NYC. Not many other places can compare.

Yes 50 West is structurally topped out and seaport is one its way to the sky. 111 Murray has demo work occurring. When I stopped at the site, equipment was in place, and it looks like they dug up much of the soil.

Hopefully our good friend JR will stop by. I wanted to go this weekend, but NJ has that potential hurricane on our way.

Not easy I know, I have been taking classes for a year now.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Under the influence, some Pink Floyd on and off tomorrow, so why not...

World Super tall Count (Complete) - October 2015

USA

* 16 super talls

China

* 35 super talls

UAE

* 21 super talls

Malaysia

* 3 super talls

Australia

* 1 super tall

Russia

* 4 super talls

UK

* 1 super tall

South Korea (SK)

* 2 super talls

Taiwan

* 2 super talls

Saudi Arabia (The Kingdom, or so they say...)

* 3 super talls

Japan

* 1 super tall

India

* couple on the way but not complete

Antarctica

* of course no super talls, did you think there would be something?

Safe to say, US will remain number 2 in the super tall game for a while once all of ours finish. 2019 will be a good year for the rankings. Although China.... eh, wouldn't surprise me if the 35 figure doubled.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:41 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Thanks for the count Chris! 2018/19 will be a good year once all those U/C supertalls get completed.
Re: Pink Floyd: I'm a huge fan myself, have been listening to Floyd since 10 years ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Soon NYC will have the skyline of 2030 as seen in the severely underrated movie "The Time Machine"

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/arch...7316-p-62.html
Nice! It has an IMDB rating of 5.9, but that doesn't mean much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Not easy I know, I have been taking classes for a year now.
As always, it's best to stay in Germany (or Austria) for a couple of months. That way your language skills will improve exponentially.

PS: 50 West has architecturally topped out!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:57 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I finally joined SSC. Time to restore the NYC section. There are cities that nobodies heard of that get more attention than NYC. Now that is a crime. What a mess over there. Titles that aren't accurate, its not neat and organized, outdated data, and it goes on. Needs a lot of work.

I'll be working with Nexis on a new U.S. section. Admins are going to change things.

No worries, SSP will still be the #1 priority as its professional over here but I hope our efforts can at least restore the sense of professionalism that members like VG and Londoniumlex brought over there.

Edit: Came across this comment there.

Quote:
This all started because some Indian forumers couldn't digest the fact that every Indian city except Mumbai has a flat skyline.

I'll try to stay Safe Hunser among an army of trolls.

Last edited by chris08876; Oct 2, 2015 at 3:37 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 3:25 PM
don't *meddle*...

^ Stay safe over there!

I've updated the list. 50 West has T/O, One Seaport is U/C and 111 Murray is 792'.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 1:51 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Wow.

It's really remarkable how many Americans AND Europeans you managed to dis with that post

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 2:38 PM
don't *meddle*...

Skyline ranking: http://tudl0867.home.xs4all.nl/skylines.html

Quote:
Ranking
[old] Points CITY
update 2007-2012, 2013-2014, 2015 Country Buildings
>90 m highest scoring building
(height)
[1] 1 92628
Hong Kong China 3266 International Commerce Centre (484m)
[2] 2 39772
New York (inc Jersey City, Fort Lee, Guttenburg, W New York) USA 938 One World Trade Center (541m)
[3] 3 26530
Shanghai China 855 Shanghai Tower (632m, u/c)
[4] 4 25712
Dubai UAE 400 Burj Khalifa (828m)
[5] 5 25546
Tokyo (inc Kawaguchi, Kawasaki, Ichikawa) Japan 753 Toranomon Hills (256m)
[6] 6 21194
Shenzhen China 442 KK 100 Development (442m)
[8] 7 19030
Guangzhou China 456 The CTF Guangzhou (530m, u/c)
[9] 8 17867
Bangkok Thailand 581 Baiyoke Tower II (304m)
[7] 9 17830
Chicago USA 375 Willis Tower (442m)
[10] 10 15717
Chongqing China 398 Chongqing World Financial Center (339m)

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 3:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Those tall skinny HK apartments add so much to the value.

So many of these.

Credit: dailymail

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 9:59 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 3:44 AM
Ex Houstonian

Wait, what am I missing? A 1400 foot tall skyscraper in Brooklyn? How real is that?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 12:24 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Wait, what am I missing? A 1400 foot tall skyscraper in Brooklyn? How real is that?
It's the first time I've seen this number. But something tall, most likely a solid supertall, is going to rise here if that tease from JDS is any indication.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 9:41 PM
don't *meddle*...

New York by Ralph Welin, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture