HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:11 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Knoxville Knoir: "The Ugliest City in America"

It was out of desperation that we went to Knoxville. My schedule is so painfully full, with two jobs, an internship, and going to school full-time, that my partner and I have had next to no time for one another, and certainly no time to ever get away for a change of scenery and for any "us" time. One of my jobs, though, is at a hotel, which entitles us to steep discounts at other properties in the big, happy family of brands of which my hotel is a part. That was how we managed to find a room in a high-rise luxury hotel in downtown Knoxville for about $50.

Why Knoxville? We'd never been, although I'm a fan of two things that call Knoxville their home: the University of Tennessee Anthropological Research Facility (aka the "Body Farm") and a series of crime/thriller novels based on the founder of the Body Farm, Dr. Bill Bass. Knoxville is not a place you ever hear a great deal about, so it was interesting and fun to read about it in fiction -- and not just because in one of the novels, the protagonist transports a cargo of human arms to the Grove Park Inn in Asheville so a convention of doctors can practice dissection in a ballroom. Meanwhile, I looked the city up on Wikipedia before we left on Monday, and found that in 1948, it earned the dubious distinction of being the "ugliest city in America," according to this book. And, of course, who could forget the majestic Wigsphere?

Speaking of ugliness, however, while Wikipedia notes that earning the "ugliest" crown jolted city leaders into a series of beautification projects, modern Knoxville is still not what you call classically handsome. Paris and Vienna, nor for that matter, Charleston, Savannah, and Asheville will ever stay up late nights worrying about it stealing their thunder. Knoxville is unashamedly gritty and sprawly, and the bloom of the modern city lifts its head to the sun not very far at all above industrial and railroad roots.

Asheville, of course, is the city I can most readily compare against any place I travel. In Asheville, the buildings go out of their way to clash with one another, and the result is an energetic feeling. In Knoxville, the buildings just clash but it's a comfortable sort of ugliness, though. That is not a backhanded remark, either. Knoxville is rather ugly, but it's a very comfortable city that seems to have nothing in particular to prove. Take it or leave it, it doesn't care. It has plenty going for it, including a major university, a major research hospital, and that among the laurels in its cap is the fact that most everything we know about human decomposition comes to you courtesy of Knoxville and the little patch of land near the Tennessee River where scientists toss human corpses into the woods and watch them rot.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Shall we stroll?

Video Link

The view from our hotel room.

Part 1: Knoxville by Knight

The Henley Street Bridge, which along with the Gay Street Bridge, is a very popular place for suicides to jump into the river. It is also home to the nation's largest, most terrifying population of spiders.

Beneath the struts of that stadium lies one of the world's largest and most important collections of human skeletal specimens.

Part 2: Knoxville at Knoon

Majestic Wigsphere No. 1

It's rather telling, and sad, that a city with this much historic architecture could ever be called ugly. The standards were higher in 1948. If the author of that book had been able to see the rise of Brutalism, and the American fascination with anonymous glass box towers -- most of them built at the expense of buildings like these -- he'd have had a stroke.

Never trust a man named "Buzz." What kind of parent would do that to a child?

I'm going to keep telling myself she merely sat in something.

Majestic Wigsphere No. 2

Majestic Wigsphere No. 3

And from the drive home... That mist is how the Great Smokey Mountains got their name.

And we returned home to discover that the rain in Knoxville had followed us home and had brought with it high winds that tore down the power lines in front of our house. It took hours for the electricity to be restored.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:22 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Other than the people who run around wearing orange, I really like Knoxville. I love East TN.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:46 AM
She needs her space

I do not find Knoxville ugly at all! I think you captured the city well, and it looks pretty clean, rehabbed, and kinda cool! I've only driven through a couple of times to get to campsites in the mountains there, but I've always been impressed - I'll echo what arkitekte said about Eastern TN (includes Chattanooga, a very impressive small town), and throw Nashville into that mix, as well.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:51 AM

I'll make it a third. I've always loved Eastern TN, and Knoxville. It's in a gorgeous setting.

I grew up camping a couple of times a year in nearby Cades Cove in the National Park, so I've seen the area grow and change. Knoxville has fantastic bones, but sprawls hugely to the west and south for a metro of it's size. Nothing unusual there, though.

You might really like the largish suburb of Marysville to the south, hauntedheadnc. It reminds me of a larger Hendersonville with an older Downtown.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 8:36 AM

I think it is a pretty cool looking town even though the streets seem to be awfully empty. The Marriott is really ugly though - holy shit.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 8:38 AM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks for the tour and pictures, hauntedheadnc!

I agree with simms3_redux, I don´t see Knoxville ugly at all. I see Knoxville as a clean city, with interesting buildings and open places. In my opnion and after watching your thread, the tittle of "ugliest city in America" is very unfair. Every city, every town, has its pretty and less pretty sides, but each one has something that makes them interesting or special.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 12:41 PM

Pretty bloody good. Dig those mountains too.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:59 PM

Looks decent. Typical American small-mid-sized city.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:08 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

What makes Knoxville ugly, IMO, is the hideous suburban footprint extending west and north. Knoxville's central area, I think, is pretty cool. Has a certain "old brick industrial-Pennsylvania-hill-town" feel to it, which I dig.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:42 PM

Nice pics! Knoxville looks pretty good, not what I expected. From what you showed in your photos, I wouldn't call it ugly either.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:56 PM

I think that it looks pretty decent. I agree on the sprawl comment. While I've never stayed in the city, I've passed through on I-75 and it's quite a stretch
of sprawl. How's the economy there. Doesn't appear to be any remotely recent office (or other) towers downtown...?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:22 PM
Content provider

you don't seem to have made it to the Body Farm

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:32 PM
Red October standing by

great tour of my hometown. downtown has come an incredibly long way in the past 15 years from being mostly dead to getting new residents and life. unfortunately one of the proponents helped fund it with drug money. oh well...

the "empty" streets someone commented on are probably more to do with rain; Market Square, Gay Street and at times the Old City are usually active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
I think that it looks pretty decent. I agree on the sprawl comment. While I've never stayed in the city, I've passed through on I-75 and it's quite a stretch
of sprawl. How's the economy there. Doesn't appear to be any remotely recent office (or other) towers downtown...?
economy isn't bad but it takes advantage of the sprawl. Knoxville sadly missed getting any significant towers during the 2000s boom; a 22 story residential tower for downtown was announced and has failed to show up. a 14 story tower out in the western sprawl was officially cancelled.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 6:19 PM
Community Guy

That is some damn ugly alright.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 6:44 PM

Doesn't look bad at all, other than the absence of people. Virtually no signs of decay. I've driven past Knoxville many times on the 75, but have never been in the city.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:25 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I spent 5 days in Knoxville about 20 years ago for job meetings. While most of the attendees partied after hours, I mostly wandered the city. Nice place. Maybe because it was during the weeknights, but seemed much of the downtown was rather quiet. I did love the Old City area. Your pics are making me feel I need to revisit the rascal. Love the JFG Coffee sign. Thanks for the tour hh.

btw, shouldn't Buzz Nabers be a barber instead of a dentist?

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 9:08 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Thanks for the responses, everybody.

Perhaps I need to clarify the "ugly" comments. Firstly, I didn't call it the ugliest city in America -- a travel guide from 1948 called it that. Personally, I found it gritty, and rather than "ugly" perhaps the word I should have used was "cluttered." The buildings clash with one another, and they're all jumbled together without regard for each other. By comparison, in Asheville where I live, the buildings go out of their way to clash with one another and play off each other. It's as though the architects took their surroundings into consideration and then went to extraordinary lengths to build something that looked as out of place as possible. In Knoxville, the feeling I got was that planners and architects just said "fuck it" and threw everything everywhere with no regard for surroundings. The feeling isn't the same dynamism and energy as in Asheville. The feeling in Knoxville is that the new buildings kind of oppress the old ones, and the large expanses of grit seem to drag the energy down even more.

If that makes any sense. That's the feeling I got in the darkness and on a rainy day, over the course of a single day. Your mileage may vary.

I will say though that the western suburbs were godawful. We went to West Town Mall for dinner and it was breathtakingly ugly. Over all, however, I enjoyed Knoxville. I couldn't really get a feel for the city because I wasn't there long enough, but I did like what I saw. Knoxville feels like a place with nothing to prove. It already has the university, the hospitals, and serious industry. It doesn't put on a pleasant mask while secretly hating you, like Asheville, to do the whole dancing monkey schtick for the tourists. If tourists stopped visiting Knoxville, I get the feeling that it would hoist its middle finger and laugh. If tourists stopped visiting prettier Asheville, Asheville would drop dead.

So, in the end, "ugly" and especially "comfortably ugly" are nothing to be ashamed of.

Now, some specific comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
you don't seem to have made it to the Body Farm
To my everlasting disappointment. However, you have to be important and have a damn good reason to visit before they'll let you visit. I am not and did not.

I checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Doesn't look bad at all, other than the absence of people. Virtually no signs of decay. I've driven past Knoxville many times on the 75, but have never been in the city.
There was actually quite a bit of abandonment in downtown, and more over by the train tracks. Some of the abandoned buildings downtown were being rehabbed, though, and others had been put into a state of arrested decay to add an accent to some new development behind the facade or adjacent to it.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:00 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Definitely not the "Ugliest City in America" and this thread proves it. Nice job.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:26 AM

I loved Knoxville when I was there not too long ago. Its a really nice city.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 2:36 AM
Buttscraper

Nice photos hauntedhead. I have family in Knoxville and been there many many times.

Knoxville has really turned its downtown around in the last 20 years and it is more active than what your photos show. I guess the rain kept everybody away. The downtown is fairly active. If you ever go back, check out Market Square.

I detest West Knoxville though. It's obvious they were hoping to become another Atlanta.

Most people in the Tri-Cities go down there for UT games and shopping.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos