HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:46 AM

more new chop building from new angle

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:53 AM

^Nice!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:57 AM
BANNED

So do we have a final word on what is going to be built on the rest of the complex?

There looks to be 2 different construction zones to the "south" of this ambulatory center. The closest is now at ground level after what I suppose is an underground garage construction. Whats happening here?

How about the lot closest to the big parking garage on the far side of Colket? Was by there today and there was plenty of work happening on that site after months of inactivity.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
So do we have a final word on what is going to be built on the rest of the complex?

There looks to be 2 different construction zones to the "south" of this ambulatory center. The closest is now at ground level after what I suppose is an underground garage construction. Whats happening here?

How about the lot closest to the big parking garage on the far side of Colket? Was by there today and there was plenty of work happening on that site after months of inactivity.
The lot between Colket and the existing parking garage belongs to Penn (not CHOP) and will have a parking garage taking up the 2/3's facing the river with a building coming later on the Civic Center Blvd 1/3.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCastle View Post
The lot between Colket and the existing parking garage belongs to Penn (not CHOP) and will have a parking garage taking up the 2/3's facing the river with a building coming later on the Civic Center Blvd 1/3.

Cheers,
G.

Parking Garage facing the river? Ugh thats unfortunate but thanks for info.

If you could pick a spot in the city to take advantage of the Philadelphias best skyline views that lot /complex would be it. A parking garage to go next to the existing overbearing parking garage? Unbelievable.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Parking Garage facing the river? Ugh thats unfortunate but thanks for info.

If you could pick a spot in the city to take advantage of the Philadelphias best skyline views that lot /complex would be it. A parking garage to go next to the existing overbearing parking garage? Unbelievable.
I understand why. This is first and foremost, a medical and research center.... and it is poorly served by public transit. This center is also directly off of 76. The parking garages make sense.

GarCastle... can you post the tower that they are planning facing the blvd?? Pennsgrant would like that part of the project lol.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:35 AM

Spacevator thanks for the updates! We were in need of some updates on this project! I think the building is looking great!... especially the part facing the blvd. You can tell they are building this with future phases and expansion in mind. Looks like they'll add more floors on top eventually.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 4:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I understand why. This is first and foremost, a medical and research center.... and it is poorly served by public transit. This center is also directly off of 76. The parking garages make sense.

GarCastle... can you post the tower that they are planning facing the blvd?? Pennsgrant would like that part of the project lol.
See Ive been around long enough that I remember when that real estate was a thriving part of Philadelphia as opposed to being a part of "Penns master plan" for their privileged students.

Don't even get me started on that autocentric mess over there which abuts the almighty U Penn's play fields which has caused CHOP to jump the river and bring their mass automobiles and parking garages eastward. Hey geniuses get rid of the softball fields , soccer fields and stay on the west side of the river.

Last edited by Pennsgrant; Mar 7, 2014 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 9:09 AM

^I've seen plans that show buildings on those fields, I'm pretty sure it will be quite a ways off though....

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 9:13 AM

Quote:

Here it is:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1332

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
I have been told by someone in on the meetings regarding this building is that no def. plans have been set on size or design. Garage will be going up shortly, but building is still in planning stages.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
^I've seen plans that show buildings on those fields, I'm pretty sure it will be quite a ways off though....
I suspect that what you may have seen were plans for the open land south of Penn Park, which is adjacent to the Penn Medicine complex and is slated to perhaps someday be the site of more Penn Medicine buildings. On the other hand, I seriously doubt that there will be buidings on what is now Penn Park in our lifetimes (or perhaps ever).

And the rest of this post is NOT directed to shadowbat2, but Penn has worked much too hard to enhance its brand and appeal to applicants as an Ivy League university of international renown, to eliminate what it considers to be one of the crown jewels of its campus. Like it or not, Penn Park is here to stay, folks--and the vast majority of the Penn community LOVES it.

Sometimes I have to chuckle at some of the comments on this board, which seem to prove the adage that if the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything in the world looks like a nail. There's a hell of a lot more to the development of great urban universities and--more significantly here--great cities than just filling in all of the open spaces and streetscapes with tall buildings. Just take a look at the campuses of the other urban Ivies and top universities with which Penn competes (Harvard, Yale, Brown, Columbia, University of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, etc.), and world-class cities and cultural centers (London, Paris, Rome, etc.), to understand this.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
There's a hell of a lot more to the development of great urban universities and--more significantly here--great cities than just filling in all of the open spaces and streetscapes with tall buildings.
I think we all pretty much agree with that statement and I don't think that Pen Park itself is a problem (I've never been to it, but it seems great in pictures). I think the point Pennsgrant was trying to make is that the whole medical complex is a bloody mess of piss poor auto-centric design (both HUP and CHOP seem to be at fault for this.) The park takes up the last reasonable space west of the river for this to expand so it's hopped over the Schuylkill now and CHOP is plopping down an admittedly gorgeous building with absolutely awful urban planning in the Grad Hospital neighborhood (or whatever you prefer to call it). I'm glad that the hospitals are doing so well and expanding, it's just a shame that they have to do it with such awful design (again, the buildings themselves are not bad, just they way they interact with the city).

@hammersklavier: I also noticed the color bands are a lot less pronounced than in the renderings. I still like this building a whole lot, and maybe when the whole thing is complete the color bands will "pop" more.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 3:24 PM

Quote:
I suspect that what you may have seen were plans for the open land south of Penn Park, which is adjacent to the Penn Medicine complex and is slated to perhaps someday be the site of more Penn Medicine buildings. On the other hand, I seriously doubt that there will be buidings on what is now Penn Park in our lifetimes (or perhaps ever).

And the rest of this post is NOT directed to shadowbat2, but Penn has worked much too hard to enhance its brand and appeal to applicants as an Ivy League university of international renown, to eliminate what it considers to be one of the crown jewels of its campus. Like it or not, Penn Park is here to stay, folks--and the vast majority of the Penn community LOVES it.

Sometimes I have to chuckle at some of the comments on this board, which seem to prove the adage that if the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything in the world looks like a nail. There's a hell of a lot more to the development of great urban universities and--more significantly here--great cities than just filling in all of the open spaces and streetscapes with tall buildings. Just take a look at the campuses of the other urban Ivies and top universities with which Penn competes (Harvard, Yale, Brown, Columbia, University of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, etc.), and world-class cities and cultural centers (London, Paris, Rome, etc.), to understand this.

Agreed! Preach preach! I love Penn Park... why develop over it? The only development I would like to see is lining Walnut Street to continue to the street wall and make University and Center City feel more connected. Other than that, keep Penn Park the way it is!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
I have been told by someone in on the meetings regarding this building is that no def. plans have been set on size or design. Garage will be going up shortly, but building is still in planning stages.
Correct the building part is not yet approved by the board. I posted a couple of the mock-ups which shadowbat2 provided the reminder link for. There was a third but it was this short squat thing so I didn't post it.

Cheers,
G.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah that's what I meant, the part east of Penn med complex. I for one like Penn Park quite a lot (hell i was just there about an hour ago)

Anyway:

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 3:23 AM

Quote:
The only development I would like to see is lining Walnut Street to continue to the street wall and make University and Center City feel more connected. Other than that, keep Penn Park the way it is!
That's essentially the plan:

Quote:
Walnut Street is the main gateway connecting Center City with the core of the Penn campus. The plan enlivens an academic and research environment, with retail, office, hospitality, and residential uses. This mixed-use redevelopment along Walnut Street will extend a vibrant commercial corridor from Rittenhouse Square to 40th Street, creating an important gateway connection.
http://www.pennconnects.upenn.edu/bu...onnections.php

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 1:43 PM

Quote:
That link in the Walnut street image would suggest another potential development on the opposite side of the FMC - really would fill thi area and creat more continuity from CC through here - exciting stuff on the U City side these days.

If Drexel/Amtrak ever fill in around 30th and Market/JFK this area will truly be an extension of CC

also it would appear that there is a render for some research facility on the U City of South St caty-corner (opposite the rail road tracks) this would push from U City to the New CC side South Street Chop Center

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
That link in the Walnut street image would suggest another potential development on the opposite side of the FMC - really would fill thi area and creat more continuity from CC through here - exciting stuff on the U City side these days.

If Drexel/Amtrak ever fill in around 30th and Market/JFK this area will truly be an extension of CC

also it would appear that there is a render for some research facility on the U City of South St caty-corner (opposite the rail road tracks) this would push from U City to the New CC side South Street Chop Center
That's definitely the idea. Hence the name for all of this planned development: "Penn Connects." Of course, when CHOP, Drexel, and the Science Center are also thrown into the mix, it's really "University City Connects." It's a true symbiosis between Center City and University City, each promising to enliven the other through a genuine, seamless connection.

Exciting stuff, indeed.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 12:39 AM

Finally made it over to CHOP to see this one. I hadn't noticed in the pictures that the windows have hand prints screened on them of all sizes - it is a neat touch. In person - it is quite apparent up close.

Untitled by Music_Man84, on Flickr

Untitled by Music_Man84, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive