HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 2:39 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Texas knows exactly what the new seating capacity is going to be. CDC is too much of a detail-oriented guy not to know. However, he's not going to tell the public at this juncture.

Additionally...not to split hairs...in the aforementioned Twitter quote, CDC did say it was an "expansion" and immediately turned around and said that it: "'should' be net neutral in terms of loss of seating." Perfect political speak. He confirmed it was an expansion at the same time left himself some room to wiggle in terms of overall seating capacity.

As alluded to previously, Texas is not going to spend $175+ million in "expanding" its stadium if the capacity is truly "net neutral." Furthermore, why on God's great earth would CDC tell us the real capacity at this point. It would not take too much to surpass Kyle Field - so why give them a chance to trump them. Stadium size - especially here in Central Texas - is a large recruiting tool. Donors want the title back and CDC knows this.

**Simply look at the renderings vs. the bleachers which have since been demolished. There is no way that's net neutral.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Actually, if this is true, DKR-TMS will be at least the third largest football stadium in the U.S. in terms of seating capacity with 104k - 106k seats.

Largest Non-Racing Venues in the U.S. (by seating capacity as of 2018)
-Michigan: 107,601
-Beaver (PSU): 106,572
-Kyle Field: 102,733
-Neyland (Tenn): 102,455
-Tiger (LSU): 102,321
-Ohio (OSU): 102,082
-Bryant-Denny (Ala): 101,821
-DKR-TMS: 100,119 (as of 2018; 2019 & 2020 will be around 96,700 - still keeping it #8 on the list)

**NOTE: Standing-room only and field-level temporary game seating not included
Now once the dust has settled and all of the seats are in place and counted. I'm sure our little Aggie friends in Collie Station will add a couple non temporary seats to Kyle Field just for bragging rites...yes I said rites!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:03 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Texas knows exactly what the new seating capacity is going to be. CDC is too much of a detail-oriented guy not to know. However, he's not going to tell the public at this juncture.

Additionally...not to split hairs...in the aforementioned Twitter quote, CDC did say it was an "expansion" and immediately turned around and said that it: "'should' be net neutral in terms of loss of seating." Perfect political speak. He confirmed it was an expansion at the same time left himself some room to wiggle in terms of overall seating capacity.

As alluded to previously, Texas is not going to spend $175+ million in "expanding" its stadium if the capacity is truly "net neutral." Furthermore, why on God's great earth would CDC tell us the real capacity at this point. It would not take too much to surpass Kyle Field - so why give them a chance to trump them. Stadium size - especially here in Central Texas - is a large recruiting tool. Donors want the title back and CDC knows this.

**Simply look at the renderings vs. the bleachers which have since been demolished. There is no way that's net neutral.
You asked why would they expand if not to increase capacity. This project is increasing the number of luxury suites and expensive club seats. Quality of seat, not quantity.

Box seats take up more room than bleachers. There's a giant Longhorn-shaped hole in the stands. I could definitely see it being net neutral.

But that doesn't account for those tiers of standing room only spaces in each corner. It's kind of like the Dallas Cowboys approach. The official capacity may be 100,000 or so, but SRO could push attendance way over that during a big game.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:17 PM

While there is no denying the direct quote from the athletic director, "expansion" doesn't necessarily have to be synominus with increased capacity and it can be rather subjective.
The one aspect I see as increasing, is the number of box seats. I see this more as a 'completion' or enclosure of the stadium rather than an expansion, although an argument can be made either way, its just semantics. Aesthetically, the "expansion" gets rid of the tacky high school league bleachers. These were a disjointed eyesore that diminished the overall character of the stadium and a cheap way to add capacity. COTA wants them back. On the subject of capacity bragging rights, especially with A&M... and impressing recruits... does anyone really believe 4 to 6K is going to sway anyone or make a University feel more or less superior? Its the wins that do that, besides, any capacity over 100K is rare and impressive enough. The total capacity shouldn't matter as much as the finished product. From a player's perspective, standing on the playing field and surveying the completed stadium with the new south "expansion" I would think will impress them enough without worrying that if they went to A&M they could be playing in front of a few extra thousand people. And as far as the fans go, the south "expansion" will give them a more aesthetically pleasing and cohesive stadium they can be proud of. And all the bragging rights will be for how awesome Texas's stadium looks, not how many people it can hold. And just a reminder...I root for the Aggies....GIG 'EM!!

Last edited by the Genral; Jun 13, 2019 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:04 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
While there is no denying the direct quote from the athletic director, "expansion" doesn't necessarily have to be synominus with increased capacity and it can be rather subjective.
The one aspect I see as increasing, is the number of box seats. I see this more as a 'completion' or enclosure of the stadium rather than an expansion, although an argument can be made either way, its just semantics. Aesthetically, the "expansion" gets rid of the tacky high school league bleachers. These were a disjointed eyesore that diminished the overall character of the stadium and a cheap way to add capacity. COTA wants them back. On the subject of capacity bragging rights, especially with A&M... and impressing recruits... does anyone really believe 4 to 6K is going to sway anyone or make a University feel more or less superior? Its the wins that do that, besides, any capacity over 100K is rare and impressive enough. The total capacity shouldn't matter as much as the finished product. From a player's perspective, standing on the playing field and surveying the completed stadium with the new south "expansion" I would think will impress them enough without worrying that if they went to A&M they could be playing in front of a few extra thousand people. And as far as the fans go, the south "expansion" will give them a more aesthetically pleasing and cohesive stadium they can be proud of. And all the bragging rights will be for how awesome Texas's stadium looks, not how many people it can hold. And just a reminder...I root for the Aggies....GIG 'EM!!
Before your last reminder at the end there, I was thinking that you were an Aggie fan...kudos for being civil across the lines there!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 10:14 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
...It's kind of like the Dallas Cowboys approach...
Maybe...but, at least in DKR those will actually be able to see the field. At Jerry World, they include any of those GA ticket holders who stand outside, but, within the fenced-in area as ticketed fans (however, they cannot actually see the field - heck, they're not even within the confines of the physical stadium itself).

Bottom line is...Nobody is talking (nor should they at this point) and we shall see when the dust settles.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 10:19 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Good points. However, size does matter - especially around here. I have a close friend, who's son is being recruited by A&M right now. And I can tell you, 100%, they drive home the fact that kyle field is the largest football stadium in Texas and is also the largest in the SEC. It does matter to the institution - maybe not so much to the specific recruit. But, the school has seen enough return on driving it home to continue to do so.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 10:56 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

UT knows it's pointless to fight Aggy on capacity. In the past, A&M just narrowed their bleacher seats to increase capacity. How do you even combat that?

I'm perfectly fine being over 100,000 and actually filling beyond capacity as the wins start piling up. A&M can have 102,000 or whatever, but if it's not full it'll look dumb.

Someone on surlyhorns had the idea that we should increase official capacity to Kyle Field -1 just to drive home the point we don't care about it. I like that idea.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 11:37 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
UT knows it's pointless to fight Aggy on capacity. In the past, A&M just narrowed their bleacher seats to increase capacity. How do you even combat that?

I'm perfectly fine being over 100,000 and actually filling beyond capacity as the wins start piling up. A&M can have 102,000 or whatever, but if it's not full it'll look dumb.

Someone on surlyhorns had the idea that we should increase official capacity to Kyle Field -1 just to drive home the point we don't care about it. I like that idea.

Aggy, that's pretty classy of you....

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 11:54 PM

Think about capacity as temperature fahrenheit, when it reaches 100, its damn hot and 5 to 10 degrees more is just still... damn hot. 100K is a shit ton of people, 105K is still just a shit ton of people. Empty seats are quarenteed for down seasons, and the...who gives a shit type games. Sell outs aren't 100%, at least not here. You would think with all the people moving to Austin, we should add 50K more seats, but many of the out of staters probably could care less about the Longhorns. The current capacity seems right and the Texas Longhorns and their fans should be too proud of their team and where they are headed under Tom Herman to worry about who has the largest stadium. Caring about that seems like an insecurity issue to me. And if that's one of A&M's bargaining chip, come play for us we have the biggest stadium, remember they have to overcome the fact that the students and players will have to live in College Station. Austin has the advantage there. Tit for tat. And in case you didn't know, Seguin, TX is home to the 2nd largest pecan replica in the world, Brunswick, MO is home to the largest. Useless information but I don't recall any plans on expanding that particular pecan in Seguin just for the bragging rights or to attract more visitors. I'm guessing anyone in Texas who needs to see a large pecan replica would settle for 2nd biggest rather than travel 842 miles to see a bigger one. Last I heard, Seguin is still mighty proud of that pecan just the way it is.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:07 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

The Aggies can bitch all they want. Texas has had more sell outs in the past 10, 15, 20+ years than the Aggies. Geez, they can't even sell out every game since joining the $EC (or even before that). Ha! Under Brown, Texas averaged over 100% capacity for more than 10 seasons in a row.

The stadium's size in not up to a coach or "fan". It has and always will be more of a BMD thing (at any college)!

WHO BLOODY CARES!!!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 1:53 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski-man View Post
Aggy, that's pretty classy of you....
boohoo

It's the same as being called a sip.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 2:46 AM

Quote:

Damn, I just saw the Aggy thingy. Hehehehe, just kidding, I figured
you hit the 'Y' instead of the 'I' 'E' by mistake what with your pinky finger sticking out to the side like that, it can throw off the typing, hehehehe just kidding again
And I'll say it before someone else does...we don't need empty seats to look dumb...:
I like the Aggies, I don't hate the Longhorns, except when they played the Aggies. I tried the before when I was a rookie Aggie fan just to fit in, now I'm just a live and let live kind of guy. Now for some reason, I could sure go for a Bevo burger....errrr I mean hamburger

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 3:30 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've taken my share of ribbing from Ags. I'm able to dish. At least I capitalized it. The preferred spelling is "aggy." It's supposed to reference the groupthink over in B/CS.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:25 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
I've taken my share of ribbing from Ags. I'm able to dish. At least I capitalized it. The preferred spelling is "aggy." It's supposed to reference the groupthink over in B/CS.
How wrong can you be? Read and ask for forgiveness!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_Aggies

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 4:36 AM

We all know it's really spelled 'aggy'. They're like the Borg.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 3:53 PM

This is like going to a dueling piano bar and having 2 drunk crowds out bid each other to have the dudes on stage play their fight song... until the other side throws more money in the tip jar, then its the other fight song! And back and forth until they've bilked the drunks out of their spare cash, and annoyed everyone else in the bar

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 5:23 PM

I don’t think stadium size is going to affect recruiting when you are talking about a few k. Now, The new high speed train they are building that connects college station to Houston
and Dallas might.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 7:26 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
I don’t think stadium size is going to affect recruiting when you are talking about a few k. Now, The new high speed train they are building that connects college station to Houston
and Dallas might.
...and I still wish that was actually _IN_ B/CS, but whatever...

I think that once you get up to 100k, it doesn't matter anymore. The fringes will care, but the majority won't at all. And in any case, what happens on the field matters most. Oh yeah, and the quality of the institution. And while we're on that note, both UT and A&M are top notch, so let's all grab a beer and be happy!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:41 PM

There are two crane bases - one on the right and another at far left.

https://texassports.com/sports/2019/...ne-webcam.aspx

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin