HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 1:41 PM
BANNED

a 4 story multi use building with 12 units at 300 market is under construction. There was a story on the news about some of the things found during excavation.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 2:08 PM

New thread - 1201 Vine - 16 floors - 221 FT

We can debate if it's real or not here:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...99#post7525699

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
a 4 story multi use building with 12 units at 300 market is under construction. There was a story on the news about some of the things found during excavation.
Is this the old Suit Corner site?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 2:56 PM

I believe it is - caddy corner from the Alterra project with CVS and shirt corner properties.

I've walked by that corner lot with a longing in my heart for a year. That's gonna be a money-maker if they don't screw it up. I'm just praying that it's not going to turn out to be the 410th, 411th and 412th hoagie places in Old City for the retail spots.

I hope they get the foundation in on that lot soon, as well. I always get nervous when they dig a huge hole in old city. I'm living next to the new Arch Street project and half expect my building to collapse into that hole

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:56 PM

12th and Washington - 5 floors - apartments/retail

Images from KidPhilly

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:57 PM

Modular apartment building drops on 12th and Washington in South Philly

Article:
http://philly.curbed.com/2016/8/9/12...hington-avenue

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:59 PM

Looks like it could turn out OK, I guess. At least an improvement for that area.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Looks like it could turn out OK, I guess. At least an improvement for that area.
Much better than this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9374...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 12:02 PM

Attended a community meeting for the 9-story, 160 apartment proposal at Spruce and 49th.

Much of the proposal is by-right, but there is a variance request involved (I think it exceeds the FAR limit of 3.5). Community meeting had a good hundred people show up, and the mood of those that were vocal was mostly opposition. I was a silent supporter that didn't get a chance to be a vocal supporter.

Brick, concrete, glass with a decent rendering that exceeds most of what's been popping up in West Philly the past year or so.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Modular apartment building drops on 12th and Washington in South Philly

Article:
http://philly.curbed.com/2016/8/9/12...hington-avenue
Wouldn't it be nice if all the buildings went up so quickly?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:26 PM

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 2:43 PM

Community gets look at 9-story apartment building proposal for 49th and Spruce

Looking from Spruce Street, the proposed 9-story building at 49th and Spruce.

Developers presented preliminary plans last night for a nine-story apartment building with ground-floor retail space at 49th and Spruce Streets to a standing-room-only crowd that voiced concerns about property taxes, parking and affordable rents.

Proposed by the developers who refurbished the nearby Croydon building, Hillel Tsarfati and Kfir Binnfeld, the 160-unit building would be built on the parking lot on the southwest corner of 49th and Spruce. The mostly one-bedroom apartments would be marketed toward “young professionals,” with rents 15 to 20 percent below market rate – similar to Croydon, Binnfeld said.

The building would include eight floors of 20 apartments each and retail on the first floor. Floors would include 12 one-bedroom apartments, 6 two-bedrooms and two studios each. Rents would be roughly the same as Croydon – currently a minimum of $975 for a two-bedroom and $850 for a one-bedroom, according to the proposal.

Sponsored by three community organizations – the Garden Court Community Association, The Walnut Hill Community Association and Cedar Park Neighbors – Wednesday’s meeting had no official impact on the zoning process as no formal proposal has yet been submitted to the city.

“We are doing this to get feedback from the community,” said Binnfeld.

If the proposal is submitted to the city, it will require a zoning variance for its size. The lot is zoned RM4 and, although there is no maximum height restriction, the building’s “floor-area ratio” is limited to 3.5 times the piece of land it is built on. The developers could build a building of a similar width and length that is five floors tall “by right,” meaning without community input. But the nine-floor proposal exceeds the floor-area ratio, triggering the need for Zoning Board of Adjustment approval and future community meetings.

Their current plan also includes:

• About 6,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space, which could be rented to one retailer or divided
• 44 parking spaces
• Indoor space for more than 100 bicycles
• A rooftop deck

As usual, parking was a concern.

“Parking close to my home is vital to me and for a lot of people in the community,” said one resident.

Others questioned the developers on the type of retail they would pursue, requesting that locally owned businesses are given a chance to rent the space. Others suggested scrapping the apartments and building a grocery store (a couple of people suggested a Trader Joe’s).

If the developers go ahead with the proposal they unveiled last night, future community meetings will be scheduled, so stay tuned.

– Mike Lyons
http://www.westphillylocal.com/2016/...ce/#more-43746

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 4:05 PM
BANNED

i can definitely see how people would like to see a grocery store out there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
i can definitely see how people would like to see a grocery store out there.
There's Mariposa 4 blocks away, Aldi's 4 blocks away, Supremo Shop-N-Bag 5 blocks away, two Fresh Grocers that are about 10 blocks away each, the biggest Farmer's market in the city is about 5 blocks away, plus a Rite-Aid 3 blocks away and a CVS 5 blocks away.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 4:44 PM

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanity View Post
As usual, parking was a concern.

“Parking close to my home is vital to me and for a lot of people in the community,” said one resident.

Others questioned the developers on the type of retail they would pursue, requesting that locally owned businesses are given a chance to rent the space. Others suggested scrapping the apartments and building a grocery store (a couple of people suggested a Trader Joe’s).
Lol... just ditch the apartments and build only a grocery store? Gotta love the NIMBYs in the city fight literally ANYTHING that is proposed. This is a well thought out development, and last time I checked, there were plenty of grocery stores in this area. There are not only some a few blocks away, but others which are a short driving distance (they are all arguing how much they need parking for their cars)....

It's hilarious to see people come out in opposition of literally every single project proposed.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:16 PM

Commercial development in Roxborough

How properties plans to build a 3 story office complex where the Ugly Moose currently is (Between Shurs and Kinglsey St near Mitchell). I've seen the renderings but don't have a soft copy to share and I'm not entirely sure how much of it is set in stone vs just proposed. What they would like to do is by right given that the location is already commercially zoned. As far as I know this will be thier first venture into commercial real estate, their residential building are a mixed bag.

They are currently developing the "Estates" by Green Street and Pennsylvania Ave: http://howproperties.com/properties-...-green-street/

It's pretty small in comparison to the other developments on this site but the fact that it is commercial instead of residential interest me.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Lol... just ditch the apartments and build only a grocery store? Gotta love the NIMBYs in the city fight literally ANYTHING that is proposed. This is a well thought out development, and last time I checked, there were plenty of grocery stores in this area. There are not only some a few blocks away, but others which are a short driving distance (they are all arguing how much they need parking for their cars)....

It's hilarious to see people come out in opposition of literally every single project proposed.
well they are probably talking about a nicer store, but I agree people seem to be against almost anything big in this city. They act like they aren't in a dense urban environment. Most of the folks moving to a complex like this won't have cars anyway so it wont change the existing parking issues much.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 6:52 PM

There better have not been people at the meeting complaining about both a loss of parking and a lack of a grocery store.
If you have a car, you can drive to the numerous nearby grocery stores.
If you don't have one, a loss of a parking lot shouldn't be a problem.
It's ridiculous how much community members complain at these meetings. There's always the country for them to move to if they loathe urban development so much.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2016, 9:57 PM

12th and Washington - apartments/retail - 5 floors

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...2th-washington

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development