HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 8:55 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Gary Bettman did say construction of the hotel is going to start this spring. So if GB says it's going to happen, then it must be true!
If Gary lied I'm getting my pitchfork ready again. Ole reliable is hung up for the time being to see if he was telling the truth!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 10:27 PM

There was a huge press conference yesterday to officially open the Wawanesa tower, the design and construction team could have been giving a site tour, that’s probably what was observed.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Cranes are definitely the same as they were since the jib came off for Wawanesa. I don't see anything of substance from my vantage point. Hopefully these lurking workers are there in prep for ramp up.
Your right, I checked again from a different window and I see that things have not changed.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 3:10 AM

Congratulations on the new office tower opening. This is very good news. I imagine at some point it will get noticeably busier in central Winnipeg as there has been a decent amount of new buildings opening. I know that many on here consider the downtown to be a problem but I have been to quite a few American metros that haven't seen this kind of growth since the 1980s.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Congratulations on the new office tower opening. This is very good news. I imagine at some point it will get noticeably busier in central Winnipeg as there has been a decent amount of new buildings opening. I know that many on here consider the downtown to be a problem but I have been to quite a few American metros that haven't seen this kind of growth since the 1980s.
Tat is correct.

Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit would kill for our growth in the inner core.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaner View Post
Kind words! It's easy for Winnipeggers to get down and out about ourselves but in reality, we have the same problems as most North American cities and shockingly, we're even doing some things right!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 3:54 AM

Finally Sutton Place will resume construction in 2 months and will be completed by 2025 or 2026..
Check the 7:40 mark https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video/c2...inId=1.1206950

Last edited by stjoesaints1981; Apr 6, 2024 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoesaints1981 View Post
Finally Sutton Place will resume construction in 2 months and will be completed by 2025 or 2026..
It's a good day haha.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoesaints1981 View Post
Has there been an updated design for Sutton Place posted, or are they going with the original concept? Can a fit even change a design with the degree of work already done?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 3:36 PM

Pretty sure their website shows the original design still.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 6:44 PM
What could go wrong?

I was just on Carlton and there were 3 or 4 people in vests and hard hats inspecting the Sutton Hotel site.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I was just on Carlton and there were 3 or 4 people in vests and hard hats inspecting the Sutton Hotel site.
I can't wait for construction to get going in June. It'll be fun to get the overhead pictures again like we had for the Wawanesa building.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 6:59 PM
What could go wrong?

Someone tell Winnipeg Grump to dust off his camera. He's baaack baby!

...in June of course.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:02 PM
the first stamp is free

This developer is weird. If they are really serious about getting started on these (I assume) 2 all-concrete building again, they should have been ramping up already, instead of wasting 2 additional months of protection free concrete placement. It's like they go out of their way to waste money.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Someone tell Winnipeg Grump to dust off his camera. He's baaack baby!

...in June of course.
https://giphy.com/gifs/CorporateBro-...eqqXzjqYbn1fve

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
This developer is weird. If they are really serious about getting started on these (I assume) 2 all-concrete building again, they should have been ramping up already, instead of wasting 2 additional months of protection free concrete placement. It's like they go out of their way to waste money.
It's bizarre. They have a beautiful, unseasonably warm April and May to burn. They could be building up by June if they started now.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:22 PM
the first stamp is free

^ once it's consistently above +5C you are good to go. So April and May are all very useful months for concrete construction if you want to cut down on expenses for heating and hoarding.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Tat is correct.

Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Detroit would kill for our growth in the inner core.
I would remove Detroit and Pittsburgh from that list. Downtown Detroit is going through a major revitalization with new hotels, stadia, office and residential buildings and the start of a LRT network. For Pittsburgh since 2010, there has been $9B worth of investment in its downtown.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ once it's consistently above +5C you are good to go. So April and May are all very useful months for concrete construction if you want to cut down on expenses for heating and hoarding.
These guys must just love paying local security firms, they've made a boon off these dorks haha. I can't see anyone partnering with Northland in this town ever again after this debacle. But at least it's now moving again (allegedly).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Tat is correct.

Never been to these cities except Detroit. Is it that bad downtown?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan