HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
The steel progress is steady. They are probably adding a floor a week
One floor a week when they are using precast concrete planks seems very slow to me. Everything is formed, cut to size off site. Its just a matter of hoisting it up and bolting everything in place.
But as long as they keep moving along, keep having more then one work crew on site, I'm ok. Slow and steady?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 2:57 PM
BANNED

They have installed new steel sections on the north face that will create the 2 story retail bump out shown in the renderings. Just noticed it today, I don't think it was there as recently as last week. They are working from east to west on the front of the building. Also, I noticed the cooling towers have been installed on 34 S 11th street.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 11:56 PM

West Tower/1199 Ludlow Renderings

http://station-f.com/rendering/#

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
One floor a week when they are using precast concrete planks seems very slow to me. Everything is formed, cut to size off site. Its just a matter of hoisting it up and bolting everything in place.
But as long as they keep moving along, keep having more then one work crew on site, I'm ok. Slow and steady?
That is a slow pace. They are probably having supply issues. Also, the plank do not get bolted. They are landed, grouted and then embeds on the bottom are welded to the steel beams.

Last edited by Jelly Roll; Sep 29, 2016 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 11:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
That is a slow pace. They are probably having supply issues. Also, the plank do not get bolted. They are landed, grounted and then imbeds on the bottom are welded to the steel beams.
well as I stated over the last 2 weeks they have been working on steel for the market st side of the retail portion of the building. There is measurable progress every day.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 12:47 PM

I was down at Market East over the weekend, and somehow it seemed worse than how I remember it. I do believe these buildings will bring about some change, but it honestly can't come fast enough. Two blocks south of Market East is business as usual, but man that street needs help.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
I was down at Market East over the weekend, and somehow it seemed worse than how I remember it. I do believe these buildings will bring about some change, but it honestly can't come fast enough. Two blocks south of Market East is business as usual, but man that street needs help.
It's an awful stretch but doesn't really seem worse to me. That said, there are a lot of vacant stores right now. Hopefully to be replaced by better tenants as this and the Gallery go up. But it's never a recipe for a healthy and productive street in the interim. Growing pains.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 1:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
do you mean east? South of this development is chestnut street where target and the new state store have opened. The 1000 block of Market is relatively dead right now. Vacancy and a few low end stores. 11th street between market and chestnut could use help as well, but it should get better once East Market and the building at 11th and Ludlow is fully rehabbed. As Ive said before the building that houses CVS at 11th and Market is major eyesore- it needs serious exterior upgrades. Haven't heard of any in the near future.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
It's an awful stretch but doesn't really seem worse to me. That said, there are a lot of vacant stores right now. Hopefully to be replaced by better tenants as this and the Gallery go up. But it's never a recipe for a healthy and productive street in the interim. Growing pains.
It was a Saturday night, so the riff raff may have been higher than usual. This time I saw people gambling on the sidewalks, saw a few benjamins being thrown around...half a block later, our white hating friends were yelling through the loudspeakers taking up the entire sidewalk. It just seemed to be the perfect storm.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
do you mean east? South of this development is chestnut street where target and the new state store have opened. The 1000 block of Market is relatively dead right now. Vacancy and a few low end stores. 11th street between market and chestnut could use help as well, but it should get better once East Market and the building at 11th and Ludlow is fully rehabbed. As Ive said before the building that houses CVS at 11th and Market is major eyesore- it needs serious exterior upgrades. Haven't heard of any in the near future.
I meant more like 2-3 blocks down 13th when you start hitting all of the new higher end restaurants and whatnot. The environment completely changes.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
"The Gallery"-------------don't hold your breath. I got a bad sense about that ever working out to be a positive in the next ten years. But the rest of Market East can continue to come back around the empty shell. Five Below moving to this area can only help..[/I]

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 4:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It was a Saturday night, so the riff raff may have been higher than usual. This time I saw people gambling on the sidewalks, saw a few benjamins being thrown around...half a block later, our white hating friends were yelling through the loudspeakers taking up the entire sidewalk. It just seemed to be the perfect storm.
i notice you didn't mention the heroin addicts on every corner. You didn't see any of them? I work down here, I can tell you they are far more of a permanent presence than anyone gambling or anyone yelling through megaphones. In fact, I haven't even seen that once since I've been working down here for the last 22 months.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I meant more like 2-3 blocks down 13th when you start hitting all of the new higher end restaurants and whatnot. The environment completely changes.
Blame the landlords that are sitting on vacant and dilapidated buildings on and around 11th and Market. Market from 11th to City Hall is doing OK now that East Market is filling the entire south side of the 1100 block. East of 11th is pretty dead and/or underwhelming.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 4:07 PM

Yeah, that stretch of market is still really tough. It seems like if they closed 10 cash-for-gold stores, you'd still have 20.

I know I remember seeing that the Funkomatic was going to close but it seems like the name was just changed. I thought I read somewhere that the whole block was purchased by the Preit and was to be developed in conjunction with the Gallery. Maybe I misread?

Market east will help but that stretch will still need MAJOR investment to make it less nasty. Even Chestnut, while improved by the Target and those condos, is still really crappy from 13th to 7th.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:46 PM

You say "riff raff" as if we don't all know what you really mean... it's really not bad at all it's dirty for like a block maybe then you get to chestnut which is in pretty good shape and rapidly improving.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
You say "riff raff" as if we don't all know what you really mean... it's really not bad at all it's dirty for like a block maybe then you get to chestnut which is in pretty good shape and rapidly improving.
Well, I think he gave examples of what he meant - people gambling on the sidewalk and the Israelites (or whatever they call themselves).

So to what are you referring?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Yeah, that stretch of market is still really tough. It seems like if they closed 10 cash-for-gold stores, you'd still have 20.

I know I remember seeing that the Funkomatic was going to close but it seems like the name was just changed. I thought I read somewhere that the whole block was purchased by the Preit and was to be developed in conjunction with the Gallery. Maybe I misread?

Market east will help but that stretch will still need MAJOR investment to make it less nasty. Even Chestnut, while improved by the Target and those condos, is still really crappy from 13th to 7th.
People keep saying that and there are probably 2 of those stores around. There are actually quite a few vacancies east of 11th. While some folks seem to think the problem is too many "undesirable" Philadelphia sharing the sidewalks with higher class folks, I would suggest the issue is lack retail and restaurants on east Market and Chestnut. Jefferson has all but killed the 1000 block of Chestnut with blank storefronts and covered windows. The landlords on 11th north of chestnut have crappy looking properties and whomever owns the retail buildings on 1000 block of Market isn't doing anything either.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Well, I think he gave examples of what he meant - people gambling on the sidewalk and the Israelites (or whatever they call themselves).

So to what are you referring?
It's pretty clear what he meant. And I find it interesting that he brings up Israelites on the megaphone when I have never seen any of them east of Market. I'm down here every weekday- they are nowhere to be found. The fact that he had no issue with the addicts sitting on every corner (often with dogs) let me know what type of people he spefically associates with Market East being worse than he remembers.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 6:36 PM

The methadone clinic on that block is the single biggest obstacle to improvement. My observation is that the influx of junkies is the single biggest QOL issue in Philadelphia period, not just on that block of Market. It's problem that affects everyone that lives within 10 minutes of the EL.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 7:19 PM

Never seen anyone gambling on the sidewalk around there. The occasional heroine junkie who mind their own business yes and the unfortunate homeless veterans I'm seeing more and more of. But being a hub of public transit you're going to see all walks of life which I enjoy seeing. Market East is getting the much needed face lift it deserves but the people will stay the same.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive