HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 5:15 AM
Freakbirthed

Informed discussion about redistricting rather than what is stated above.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/25/us...strict.html?hp
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 1:32 PM
I am a typical

And you call yourselves a democracy.

Redistricting in Canada is done by a neutral body. It hates cities, but its still politically neutral.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 7:10 PM

As the South and West Grow, the Urban Agenda Should Adjust Accordingly

Dec 23rd, 2010

By Yonah Freemark

Read More: http://americancity.org/columns/entry/2812/

Quote:
American cities are doing better than they have been for a long time. In many places, inner city household incomes are increasing more rapidly than those of suburban or exurban households. After decades of declining population, new Census data reveal that Washington, D.C. is growing for the first time since 1950. But those trends largely reflect changes within America’s dense older metropolitan areas along the coasts. What about reorganizations in relative population between cities and regions?

- Florida is now almost as populous as New York State. The Empire State was more than five times bigger in 1950. In sum, this means less representation at the federal level for states that have traditionally been the biggest supporters of policies aimed towards central cities and more representation for places better known for their exurbs. Does this mean a difficult period ahead for urbanites, at least when it comes to funding from Washington?

- Not necessarily. For one, in many of the states that are growing quickly, cities are also doing well: Houston, Las Vegas, and Phoenix—among others—are all quickly densifying in their downtown cores. Between 2000 and 2009, for example, the City of Atlanta grew by 125,000 individuals: That’s a 30% increase. And urban areas in the South and West need good public transportation and affordable housing subsidies just as much as do those in the Northeast and Midwest.

- But in order to secure long-term policies that benefit cities across the country, the discussion clearly must be broadened: The refusal of the governors of Ohio and Wisconsin to accept federal high-speed rail dollars is illustrative of a failure to understand why such a project could benefit those states’ cities. The new members of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee in the now Republican-led House of Representatives has a surprisingly rural and suburban bent, indicating little support for urban needs.

- The truth is that though cities in the South and West are becoming more vibrant, the majority of the population of those states lives in suburban or exurban communities. They vote for their own needs, not on behalf of urban interests. To pursue an effective agenda, advocates need to make a stronger argument for the importance of maintaining public service provision and funding for city-level needs. Some of that will come naturally, as center cities in those states attain an increasing prominence in the local discourse.

Downtown Atlanta Credit: Flickr user Mike Johnston (cc)

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 7:32 PM
The City

Part of the problem is that in the south, you're considered a good southerner if you hate cities and like driving your pickup truck.

That makes you a good Christian. Apparently, Jesus hates buildings that don't have ample parking and are more than one story tall. I read it in the Bible once.

As long as this is so, Americans in the south and west will continue to impair urban development elsewhere, because they are the only people left in America who still listen to Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 8:09 PM

Maybe the South will change as the original Southerners are drowned out by more Northerners and immigrants.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Part of the problem is that in the south, you're considered a good southerner if you hate cities and like driving your pickup truck.

That makes you a good Christian. Apparently, Jesus hates buildings that don't have ample parking and are more than one story tall. I read it in the Bible once.

As long as this is so, Americans in the south and west will continue to impair urban development elsewhere, because they are the only people left in America who still listen to Jesus.
Wow, what a bigoted and hate-filled post. If only those ignorant Southerners shared your open-mindedness and tolerance.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 9:19 PM
I am a typical

Most people that Americans call Christian actually seem quite ignorant of Jesus, especially the Evangelicals.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 9:41 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk1519 View Post
Wow, what a bigoted and hate-filled post. If only those ignorant Southerners shared your open-mindedness and tolerance.
^ I'm trying to out-bigot the bigots. It's part of my new strategy called "Whoever said 'two wrongs don't make a right' was probably cleaning peoples' driveways for a living"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
DC's growth is also a lot of diversification, even while the military, etc., have added people. Also the lobbyist economy has presumably exploded.
That's true, but with the military and contractors, most of the jobs are in the suburbs. Many lobbyists working downtown live in the nicer suburbs. Most of the growth has occurred through younger people moving into the city. There are more reverse commuters than ever before on top of conventional commuters.

It's a process that started in the late 90's when the city had its first good mayor in a while who did a lot of things to lower crime and attract business to the city and that process just continued into the last decade.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 12:00 AM
Eurosceptic

I'm amazed at how rapidly Delaware is growing.... the First State is almost at 1,000,000 residents!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 4:19 AM

That's alot of people folks. I don't know about everyone else but the country definitely feels very crowded. I'm tired of the endless sprawl or tract houses and Power Center Strip malls spreading their way across our landscape. IMO we have enough people now. The question is, in what politically correct way can we accomplish this. Even with natural increase, we'll still reach 350 million. But, even that's to much. Are some of you guys actually excited about us reaching 400 million people? What about our kids. Seems pretty selfish imo..

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 4:25 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by liat91 View Post
That's alot of people folks. I don't know about everyone else but the country definitely feels very crowded. I'm tired of the endless sprawl or tract houses and Power Center Strip malls spreading their way across our landscape. IMO we have enough people now. The question is, in what politically correct way can we accomplish this. Even with natural increase, we'll still reach 350 million. But, even that's to much. Are some of you guys actually excited about us reaching 400 million people? What about our kids. Seems pretty selfish imo..
Wouldn't having kids be contrary to your vision of stagnant population growth?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 10:41 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I'm amazed at how rapidly Delaware is growing.... the First State is almost at 1,000,000 residents!
Heh, this really made me laugh. Grats! Or almost grats. Y'all should have a big party when you get your first million.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Wouldn't having kids be contrary to your vision of stagnant population growth?

he probably lives in a suburban sprawly area also.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2010, 9:49 PM
Freakbirthed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Yeah after like 350 years it is almost 1000000. That is bacteria like population growth.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs

Last edited by Chase Unperson; Dec 27, 2010 at 3:21 AM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 1:10 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
Just one point of clarification...

"Republican" states and areas may have grown, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Republicans gained in the number of actual voters. The country as a whole is still becoming more liberal. The economy of course has grayed the trend for a bit, but I still think it's apparent. Hopefully, some of the new seats gained by Conservative states will still have a more liberal base.
Right. New red-state residents aren't necessarily conservatives. They might even be making some of these red states more blue.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 1:12 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungerdog View Post
It is fun to watch liberals on this forum grasping at straws that everything is ok for Democrats despite contrary evidence displayed in recent census data. Those who produce are moving from heavy tax burden, union controlled, over regulated northern states and heading to states where those problems are not nearly as prevalent.

Northern states are going to be left with nothing but the recipient class due to economically punishing liberal policies. Good luck.
What makes you think that these new residents are predominantly Republican?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 1:22 AM
Never Dell

It would also be ok to ask ungerdog whether the past few years refute his ideas...growth slowing or even reversing in AZ, NV, FL, etc.

Or you could ask him whether the weather is a factor in any growth. Meaning it's not just tax avoiders et al.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 1:54 AM
~Hook'em~

It is likely a mix of what both of y'all are talking about. Having to deal with less snow and with A/Cs the heat isn't as bad, and lower taxes, less unions and such. But more than any of those things in my very uninformed opinion I'd venture a guess as it is more people going where the jobs go. Some areas of the country are just doing better in job growth than others. Economies change. What was driving jobs and companies in some areas aren't anymore and many of those jobs like Autos and such were shipped off to Mexico. Other areas of the economy have risen and with it some states did better in either fostering that growth or attracting companies to move there and with it jobs. I know in my state tons of huge companies have moved to Houston, Dallas and Austin. With it they have brought tons and tons of jobs. They can move people to Austin and pay them the same but cost of living here is so low that it is like a HUGE pay raise.

So while taxes in say Texas and Cali are obviously much different and that is a factor in cost of living it isn't all of it. More than that it is that Texas (and other states that have grown so much) have used that cost of living, along with the weather you mentioned, as well as many other factors to entice so many companies and jobs from other states and the people just follow. Should also be noted that in those manufacturing and other jobs that were sent to Mexico it is the ports of Houston and Corpus Christi that it all goes through. Houston I believe is now the nr 1 port in the US in foreign shipping and Corpus is right behind Houston, and I'd guess most all of that is from Central and South America where so many of the jobs from the north went. On a completely unrelated note, one thing that always fascinates me is how well those ports have done and how unnatural they are. Houston is 50 miles inland and entirely man made and accessed through a man made shipping channel, and while Corpus is on an large inland bay, it didn't have a port or even access to the Gulf of Mexico until after WWII.

Last edited by BevoLJ; Dec 27, 2010 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 4:30 AM
Never Dell

LA is by far the largest port if you're talking about value. Houston is apparently very high in tonnage. Some ports like to talk about tonnage, but value is the main topic when talking about economic impact, for example the flow of imports/exports. Nobody says China exports more tonnage to the US than we export to them...it's $ value instead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions