HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which party do you plan to vote for in the 2019 federal election?
Conservative Party 73 25.61%
Liberal Party 119 41.75%
NDP 44 15.44%
Green Party 27 9.47%
Peoples Party of Canada 22 7.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:10 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Liberals are safe they have a virtual majority with mid 150's seats and a bankrupt rump of the NDP to put them over the 170 mark. Tories need someone from the PC wing of the party as leader. It may piss off the base in Alberta but Albertans must see they have no chance at power without getting swing votes in the east.
The conservatives would still win the vast majority of Alberta and Saskatchewan's seats even if the candidate was a literal flaming bag of garbage. Like actually. They don't need to worry about pissing off the base here. People here don't give a fuck about putting actual thought into their ballot.

'Hate is a burden, you don’t need to carry it with you.' — Annushka Volovodov

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:12 AM

This election seems to be won by the shy liberal vote in Ontario. Seems a lot of them toyed with the idea of voting NDP but when push came to shove they went Liberal to keep the Tories out.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:12 AM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Albertan's would vote conservative even if the candidate was a literal flaming bag of garbage. They don't need to worry about pissing off the base here.
But if CPC implicitly requires that their leader come from Western Canada, yea it's a lost cause.

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:13 AM

Quote:
The conservatives would still with the vast majority of Alberta and Saskatchewan's seats even if the candidate was a literal flaming bag of garbage. Like actually. They don't need to worry about pissing off the base here. People here don't give a fuck about putting actual thought into their ballot.
True but at the same time they might go stupid and create reform party 2.0 which means another decade in opposition

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:14 AM

Quote:
The conservatives would still with the vast majority of Alberta and Saskatchewan's seats even if the candidate was a literal flaming bag of garbage. Like actually. They don't need to worry about pissing off the base here. People here don't give a fuck about putting actual thought into their ballot.
And now the Liberals with the NDP owe nothing to the prairie provinces.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:14 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
But if CPC implicitly requires that their leader come from Western Canada, yea it's a lost cause.
Oh absolutely. I believe Rona Ambrose was mentioned here recently, she would have been a great choice for leader. I'm not sure where she's from, but she was likeable and wasn't an overly partisan hack like most of the rest of them are on the hill.

Quote:
True but at the same time they might go stupid and create reform party 2.0 which means another decade in opposition
I would laugh my damn ass off for days if that happened. They'd have to change the provincial motto to "Shooting ourselves in the foot since 1905 "

In other news.... the Greens may have just took Winnipeg Centre... woah.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:20 AM

Voted Conservative, was hoping for a weak Conservative minority government and a new Liberal leader that I could support in a few years. Too bad.
Please note that, unless explicitly stated, the above post is not meant to be a slight against your favourite city. If you are about to quote my post and respond with indignation, please take a moment to consider what my post literally says rather than any subliminal meaning you may have attached to it.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:29 AM

Well now thats all said and done there are definite party winner and losers.

The 2 biggest winners are the Bloc and the Greens. The Bloc tripled their seat count and the Greens have elected more MPs than ever before but probably most importantly, they got Fredricton. They can no longer be viewed as just a bunch of granola eaters on Vancouver Island but a real party with a strong national base.

For the NDP and Liberals it was a mixed blessing. The NDP lost more seats but conversely have a lot more power in Ottawa by having the balance of power. The Liberals lost their majority which is bad news but they got a much more significant win over the Conservatives than almost anyone thought they would. They can also govern with the help of just one party instead of two and it won't have to be with the Bloc. Also, by the Liberals winning by 35 seats and not the razor thin edge many had predicted, any party trying to pull down the government too early will face voter wrath at the next election.

The big loser tonight was the Tories and Sheer. After SNC & blackface, the Tories could have had this election and at least made it a much closer call but they didn't. Not only was Sheer's performance mediocre at best but he and the Tories seem bound and determined to play to their Western base.

Last edited by ssiguy; Oct 22, 2019 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:31 AM

Quote:
The conservatives would still win the vast majority of Alberta and Saskatchewan's seats even if the candidate was a literal flaming bag of garbage. Like actually. They don't need to worry about pissing off the base here. People here don't give a fuck about putting actual thought into their ballot.
I dont get it. Why such a herd mentality in Alberta/Sask? Do Conservative values run that deep and wide?

There are other alternative parties even if they have such a hate on for the Liberals.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:33 AM
ARTchitecture

I have no idea, I was born and raised in Ontario. Though conservative values/herd mentality run extremely deep in most of that place too, it is worse here. At only 28, I've voted for three different parties throughout my voteable elections... so I just can't understand that mentality.

Also, my post earlier about Winnipeg Centre looks like it was a polling error. That would have been so cool though.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:36 AM

Disappointed to see Jody Wilson-Raybould running a close third in my riding, with the Tories now possibly taking the seat!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Voted Conservative, was hoping for a weak Conservative minority government and a new Liberal leader that I could support in a few years. Too bad.
It's the exact other way around: now that JT is damaged goods, the Tories will be the ones getting a higher quality leader for when the minority govt will fall.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Disappointed to see Jody Wilson-Raybould running a close third in my riding, with the Tories now possibly taking the seat!
Well CBC has 1 IND ahead, if not her who is it?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:38 AM
Astineux

Big plus for the Liberals not having to deal with the Bloc.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:42 AM

If Scheer is smart he should resign tonight his goose is cooked and come the next tory convention he will be pushed out.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:42 AM
Starring as himself

Kenora is at 31-31-31 % at the moment. One example where the NDP surge actually may defeat the Liberals, one way or another.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:43 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
If Scheer is smart he should resign tonight his goose is cooked and come the next tory convention he will be pushed out.
Kind of have to see how it turns out ... there are a lot of close seats and he does seem to have won the popular vote. It's not great but is it really immediate-resignation-worthy if he gets up around 130 seats and 35%?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:46 AM

JWR showing ahead now. I'm eating my words.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:48 AM

Aside from the particular parties themselves, there are also some clear winners and losers. There are 2 clear winners and one clear loser:

1} Canadians in general are the biggest winner. The Liberals got the wrapping on the knuckles that they deserved after SNC and the FPTP and now will have to govern in more balanced manner with the NDP. Minority governments are always the most proactive, reasonable, least ideologically driven.

2 } Second big winner.......the environment. It is clear that the environment played a big role on how people voted and it is also clear that any party from this election onwards must have a comphrehensive environmental and climate change policy if they hope to govern. The days of writing their environmental policy on the back of a napkin 20 minutes before the press release like the Tories did, are over.

3} The big loser.........Alberta. This is just about as bad as it gets for Albertans. They now don't have a single person representing them at the Cabinet table or even at caucus. Alberta's energy sector economy will now be completely determined by Toronto and Montreal politicians and Ottawa bureaucrats. Trudeau went to bat for TMX and has absolutely nothing to show for it and with the NDP dead set against it, he will not expend any more political capitol on it and certainly never risk his government. Alberta, the nation's 4th most populace province with the 3rd largest economy and a huge net contributor to equalization is now completely politically impotent.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 3:50 AM
Shoehorn Freeway ca 2017

Now Alberta really wants out. For once I'm gonna drop the word "probably" from my sentence.

On va prolonger l'Autoroute 417 jusqu'à Renfrew à bientôt, tout en remplaçant l'intersection du Chemin Calabogie à un échangeur d'abord!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada