HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which party do you plan to vote for in the 2019 federal election?
Conservative Party 73 25.61%
Liberal Party 119 41.75%
NDP 44 15.44%
Green Party 27 9.47%
Peoples Party of Canada 22 7.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:18 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
And everybody else gets zero credit for tolerating Ontario.

Take it from a BC'er. Just relax. We're a federation. I can find many reasons to be pissed at QC, ON, even the maritime provinces. Don't get me started on Alberta...
Ontario is the saint of provinces, constantly giving and never asking for anything back.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:19 PM
Astineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
What’s left? You practically run Ottawa anyway. Since 1968, we’ve had 40 years of Quebec Prime Ministers, 10 years of Prime Ministers from Alberta, and a few months worth of caretaker PMs from B.C. But the rest of Canada, notably Ontario, seems to get zero credit for tolerating this.
Where is a meme with a "RABBIT HOLE AHEAD - 100 METRES!" sign when you need it?

Seriously though, rightly or wrongly the perception in Quebec is the fact that those PMs were from here were not always beneficial to Quebec, and that they were often the ROC's bagmen hired to put Quebec in its place. Certainly the perception of PET is not of someone that put Quebec first - he literally reduced Quebec's powers constitutionally by ramming through a new Constitution without the province's consent.

As for "tolerating" this (regardless of what "this" is), well Ontario if indeed it is hard-done-by gets actually what it deserves because it almost always votes for a Quebec PM when the country elects one - it would be virtually impossible to do that without Ontario's support.

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd gladly settle for more autonomy to manage our own affairs the way we see fit, in areas that are important to us.
This mostly happens already, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I would like to have more MPs. Ideally, close to 500.

We have 61 MLAs in Saskatchewan compared to 14 MPs. As a result, I've been able to get to know more provincial politicians and have more local representation.

The cost of a politician is relatively small in the grand scheme of things.
Agreed. Smaller ridings are better. Its less expensive to campaign (thus public office is more accessible), and fewer people per MP means its easier for the voices of constituents to be heard. And the cost is minimal in the grand scheme of things. I mean an MP salary is what, $120k a year? We spend over $300B a year in this country.

The American cap system means that the population of each congessional district is constantly rising. They have over 700,000 people per congressperson. Imagine the entire province of New Brunswick, or the entire city of Winnipeg, being represented by the same person.

Astineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
This mostly happens already, no?
Sorta. Incrementally.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:21 PM

Quote:
It's mostly PEI that skews things due to having been guaranteed four HoC seats forever as one of the conditions for it joining Confederation in 1873.
And Labrador's seat. So purely based on population NL should really have 6 and PEI 2. But let's face it they are not going to reduce the seats now and it doesn't really matter because those 3 "bonus seats" for Atlantic Canada are not much advantage...especially going into the future as everywhere else grows.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:21 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
That's incorrect. The current system for redistribution dates from 1985.

Until 2015, only Ontario, Alberta and BC have received new seats.

In 2015, Quebec got 3 new seats as well.
No they went from 75 to 79. Previously they had been fixed at 75 since the 1970s.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:22 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
And Labrador's seat. So purely based on population NL should really have 6 and PEI 2. But let's face it they are not going to reduce the seats now and it doesn't really matter because those 3 "bonus seats" for Atlantic Canada are not much advantage...especially going into the future as everywhere else grows.
I still don't know why these count as "bonus Atlantic Canada" seats.

Would it make sense to subtract 2 seats from New Brunswick to balance out the fact that PEI has 4?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:23 PM
Astineux

Quote:
Ontario is the saint of provinces, constantly giving and never asking for anything back.
That's because Ontario is smart and knows which side its bread is buttered on.

As the Great Canadian Provider of Everything to Everyone, what Ontario needs most of all is for the federation to hold as a unified economic market.

The rest of the political crap is just water off the back of a duck.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:23 PM
Astineux

Quote:
No they went from 75 to 79. Previously they had been fixed at 75 since the 1970s.
78 actually.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
I stand corrected. Still, there's no guarantee that they get 4 more seats.

As you mention, they stayed at 75 from the 1970s to 2012.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:24 PM

There is nothing really even left to give that Quebec doesn't already have as they have control over immigration, language, been named a nation in parliament has their own seat on the francophonie has their own separate diplomatic ties with France. Other than their own army and currency they are their own country within Canada.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:25 PM
Astineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
There is nothing really even left to give that Quebec doesn't already have as they have control over immigration, language, been named a nation in parliament has their own seat on the francophonie has their own separate diplomatic ties with France. Other than their own army and currency they are their own country within Canada.
You're the one who gets to define that?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
That's because Ontario is smart and knows which side its bread is buttered on.

As the Great Canadian Provider of Everything to Everyone, what Ontario needs most of all is for the federation to hold as a unified economic market.

The rest of the political crap is just water off the back of a duck.
Ontario is the great political fulcrum of Canada.

Which is nice, as it moderates any leftwards of rightwards tendencies. So far.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:27 PM

In terms of redistribution, both Saskatchewan and Manitoba have more seats than our populations dictate. It's hard for me to complain.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:
I would like to know what areas Quebecers feel that the federal government impedes on them and areas of jurisdiction that should belong to Quebec that they do not already control? I am really at a loss on that as they have so much more control than any other province.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
Agreed. Smaller ridings are better. Its less expensive to campaign (thus public office is more accessible), and fewer people per MP means its easier for the voices of constituents to be heard. And the cost is minimal in the grand scheme of things. I mean an MP salary is what, $120k a year? We spend over $300B a year in this country.
Sometimes you see the "cube root rule" in these discussions. The number of seats in many legislatures is close to the cube root of the population. Canada squarely fits in this range.

I doubt there is a clearly optimal way to size a legislature but I have always thought that (1) the House of Commons is already way too large for individual voices to matter and (2) the ridings are big enough that door to door style campaigning is challenging. I feel like we should at least size the legislature that it attains one of these two things (impersonal in house but manageable riding size) rather than having the world of both worlds (impersonal in house and unmanageable riding size).

Either you have 5-30 people in a room who hash things out together (more of a cabinet scale) or you give up and do 1,500.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:29 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
What do they want next?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:30 PM
Astineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I would like to know what areas Quebecers feel that the federal government impedes on them and areas of jurisdiction that should belong to Quebec that they do not already control? I am really at a loss on that as they have so much more control than any other province.
That's a question for another thread, and sooner than later I will need to go vote, throw dinner together and take my kids to their activities... so à la prochaine on this one.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I still don't know why these count as "bonus Atlantic Canada" seats.

Would it make sense to subtract 2 seats from New Brunswick to balance out the fact that PEI has 4?
Not deliberately "bonus" but bonus by virtue of the lower population in those riding's.

Then again you could say the same thing about the territories. But they are distinct region...like Labrador in a sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada