HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which party do you plan to vote for in the 2019 federal election?
Conservative Party 73 25.61%
Liberal Party 119 41.75%
NDP 44 15.44%
Green Party 27 9.47%
Peoples Party of Canada 22 7.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 8:59 PM
Astineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
PEI gets 4 seats for ~150,000.

There's a stipulation of a grandfather clause and Senatorial clause.

The Representation Formula
The doomed Charlottetown constitutional accord of 1992 actually included a stipulation that Quebec would be guaranteed 25% of HoC seats forever regardless of population share.

The accord was not defeated (primarily) because of this measure.

But imagine how some people would be pissed today if that were the case! Mind-losing anger!

Still a really nice group of people to spend Christmas dinner with, though.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:00 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I still don't understand why Atlantic Canada is allowed to be so over represented in seats with 32 for a region of 2.4 million people while Manitoba and Sask at over 2.5 million people only get 28 seats and Ontario with over 38% of the population gets only 36% of the 338 seats in parliament, Alberta only gets 10% of seats yet is 11.6% of the population.
It was the price of Confederation.

Also, political influence isn’t directly proportional to the number of seats. Ontario’s 36% of the seats makes it highly influential in close to 100% of political debates. Newfoundland’s 7 seats make it imperative to gain the support of Newfoundland MPs ... virtually never. That doesn’t explain the anomaly between the Atlantic and Man/Sask ... just the general principle of how strict rep by pop doesn’t necessarily work fairly in a federation.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
The one thing I like about the americans and congress is they redistribute seats based upon states gaining and losing population to reflect population shifts without having to add more members to congress which is pointless and expensive. Canada does not need more MP's but the seat allocations could easily be redistributed and save taxpayers money from having more backbench mp's and their staff members and their hotel and flight costs ect.. ect...
I don't disagree, but that could only happen if Quebec were to lose seats over time. That is unlikely.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:02 PM

I would like to have more MPs. Ideally, close to 500.

We have 61 MLAs in Saskatchewan compared to 14 MPs. As a result, I've been able to get to know more provincial politicians and have more local representation.

The cost of a politician is relatively small in the grand scheme of things.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:03 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The doomed Charlottetown constitutional accord of 1992 actually included a stipulation that Quebec would be guaranteed 25% of HoC seats forever regardless of population share.

The accord was not defeated (primarily) because of this measure.

But imagine how some people would be pissed today if that were the case! Mind-losing anger!
Quite rightly. Now they just arbitrarily give Quebec 4 more seats each time, and adjust the other provinces accordingly. That’s so separatists can’t point to a declining number of seats as evidence of Quebec’s decreasing influence. Thanks to that, the size of the House is going to balloon over time.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:04 PM

It's unfortunate that the constitution Pierre Trudeau made is so unworkable to amend or modernize without risking the destruction of Canada that simple things like senate reform or seat allocations are almost impossible to have implemented.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:05 PM
Astineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Quite rightly. Now they just arbitrarily give Quebec 4 more seats each time, and adjust the other provinces accordingly. That’s so separatists can’t point to a declining number of seats as evidence of Quebec’s decreasing influence. Thanks to that, the size of the House is going to balloon over time.
I'd gladly settle for more autonomy to manage our own affairs the way we see fit, in areas that are important to us.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:05 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
The one thing I like about the americans and congress is they redistribute seats based upon states gaining and losing population to reflect population shifts without having to add more members to congress which is pointless and expensive. Canada does not need more MP's but the seat allocations could easily be redistributed and save taxpayers money from having more backbench mp's and their staff members and their hotel and flight costs ect.. ect...
Quebec separatists would make hay out of any loss in Quebec’s seat total. That’s the main reason the total isn’t frozen.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Quebec separatists would make hay out of any loss in Quebec’s seat total. That’s the main reason the total isn’t frozen.
Oh I know yet they don't want to have more babies or accept more immigrants while the same time wanting a time freeze where their population share never decreases from the 1960's before they drove all the anglos out.

Quote:
I don't think that "arbitrarily" is the right word. The additional seats for Quebec last time were intended to ensure that it's percentage of MPs was the same as its percentage of the national population, no?

Astineux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
I would like to have more MPs. Ideally, close to 500.

We have 61 MLAs in Saskatchewan compared to 14 MPs. As a result, I've been able to get to know more provincial politicians and have more local representation.

The cost of a politician is relatively small in the grand scheme of things.
I'd be cautious about that. Countries with much larger countries than us don't have legislatures with 10,000 or 20,000 members as a result.

And they don't necessarily function any more smoothly than we do. (Some such as unitary states also don't have much in terms of regional or sub-national legislative bodies, so that's often most of "it" in terms of elected reps.)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:09 PM
Astineux

Quote:
Oh I know yet they don't want to have more babies or accept more immigrants while the same time wanting a time freeze where their population share never decreases from the 1960's before they drove all the anglos out.
Are we really gonna go there, guys?

BTW we do want more babies. What do you think all those fancy-schmancy parental leave, baby bonus and daycare programs are about?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Are we really gonna go there, guys?

BTW we do want more babies. What do you think all those fancy-schmancy parental leave, baby bonus and daycare programs are about?
I think it is fine Quebec has control of its own language and immigration I just don't find it fair it should be locked into having 25% of seats in Canada when it is no longer that large a portion of Canada's population and is on a continual decline in terms of share of the national population.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:13 PM
Astineux

Quote:
I think it is fine Quebec has control of its own language and immigration I just don't find it fair it should be locked into having 25% of seats in Canada when it is no longer that large a portion of Canada's population and is on a continual decline in terms of share of the national population.
Well, we're not locked in for 25% so you don't need to be concerned.

That proposal died at the same time as the Charlottetown accord did in 1992.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:13 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I'd gladly settle for more autonomy to manage our own affairs the way we see fit, in areas that are important to us.
What’s left? You practically run Ottawa anyway. Since 1968, we’ve had 40 years of Quebec Prime Ministers, 10 years of Prime Ministers from Alberta, and a few months worth of caretaker PMs from B.C. But the rest of Canada, notably Ontario, seems to get zero credit for tolerating this.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:14 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I don't think that "arbitrarily" is the right word. The additional seats for Quebec last time were intended to ensure that it's percentage of MPs was the same as its percentage of the national population, no?
No, I’m pretty sure that it’s now the rule that they go up 4 each time, no matter what.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
What’s left? You practically run Ottawa anyway. Since 1968, we’ve had 40 years of Quebec Prime Ministers, 10 years of Prime Ministers from Alberta, and a few months worth of caretaker PMs from B.C. But the rest of Canada, notably Ontario, seems to get zero credit for tolerating this.
And everybody else gets zero credit for tolerating Ontario.

Take it from a BC'er. Just relax. We're a federation. I can find many reasons to be pissed at QC, ON, even the maritime provinces. Don't get me started on Alberta...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:18 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I'd be cautious about that. Countries with much larger countries than us don't have legislatures with 10,000 or 20,000 members as a result.

And they don't necessarily function any more smoothly than we do. (Some such as unitary states also don't have much in terms of regional or sub-national legislative bodies, so that's often most of "it" in terms of elected reps.)
No government wants 300 backbenchers sitting around knowing they’ll never make cabinet. That’s what leads to all the internal party schisms in the UK.

Quote:
No, I’m pretty sure that it’s now the rule that they go up 4 each time, no matter what.
That's incorrect. The current system for redistribution dates from 1985.

Until 2015, only Ontario, Alberta and BC have received new seats.

In 2015, Quebec got 3 new seats as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A previous attempt by the Conservative government to adopt legislation on seat allocation died in the last Parliament over criticism from Quebec that it would not gain any seats and lose some of its influence in Parliament and federal government decisions. Under the new formula, Quebec, which now has 23.22% of the Canadian population, would have 23.28% of the seats in the Commons after the 2015 election.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...use-of-commons

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada