HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Which party do you plan to vote for in the 2019 federal election?
Conservative Party 73 25.61%
Liberal Party 119 41.75%
NDP 44 15.44%
Green Party 27 9.47%
Peoples Party of Canada 22 7.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was thinking about the notion that having the Bloc (or any party with no chance of being the government) represent you being "useless", and how during the Harper minority years the Bloc hounded the government on the fiscal imbalance issue (on behalf of Quebec City) and forced its hand to some degree. With the help of the NDP I believe they succeeded in getting Ottawa to transfer something like a billion more dollars to the provinces for programs they're on the hook for.

During the Harper minority years, the government-in-waiting Liberals (a non-wasted vote, in the eyes of many here) actually helped the Harpercons remain in power, either by voting for their budgets or abstaining from voting on them. I don't remember the exact details but in any event the Liberals most certainly passed on opportunities to topple the Harpercons, leaving the latter bunch free to do a whole bunch of stuff that the provinces (especially Quebec, but some others as well) said were against their wishes and/or interests.
In fairness, I think in any minority government scenario, the other parties will prop up the governing party until they feel that they are in a position to win. You might recall that Ignatieff actually tried to trigger a federal election in 2009, less than a year after the 2008 election... it was fairly unpopular at the time and I'm not sure that he ever recovered fully from that. Woe unto the federal leader who forgets that lesson.

Also, fair comment re: the Bloc/NDP collaborating to get the Harper government in the minority years to boost transfers. I don't remember the details but that rings a bell for sure. I recall thinking that the Harper minority years were less painful than I expected them to be in terms of cuts.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I would fully expect Ford to bully Sheer behind the scenes. Sheer seems to be a pushover.

I voted yesterday. It was like a Seinfeld episode. There were only 2 people ahead of me, both old men.

The first was sitting at the voting booth for about 2 minutes before he emerged handed his over and he had already torn off the tab. The volunteers had to void it then go through some book to figure out the steps. This whole time the guy in front of me who must have been around 90 keeps yelling out to tape it back together or use a stapler. The first guy who ruined his ballot is now complaining how ridiculous this is and how he just wants to get his vote in for sheer and go. He finally gets to vote again and leaves.

Now it's old man #2's turn. He gets up and starts complaining he can't see the voting card it's too small. He's now demanding they tell him which line is the conservative member, so they tell him it's the 3rd line and he keeps saying line 2, line 2. One of the volunteers had get sworn in go behind the booth with him and vote for him, now all he is doing is yelling "Make sure it's conservative, conservative".

By this time I have a old lady behind me yelling " You should have brought your magnifying glass".

I finally get to vote and see they do have a magnifying glass in the booth. Took me 30 seconds. That will be my last time advance polling since they only had one booth and it seems the old grumpy conservative seniors are out in hoards.

Got my Liberal vote locked in.
Life is a Seinfeld episode.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Also, fair comment re: the Bloc/NDP collaborating to get the Harper government in the minority years to boost transfers. I don't remember the details but that rings a bell for sure. I recall thinking that the Harper minority years were less painful than I expected them to be in terms of cuts.
I think Harper had the political astuteness to know that heavy-duty cuts would have sunk him politically and prevented him from obtaining a majority government.

His 'allies' would have abandoned him and he'd poison the well for the moderate voter who would consider voting for him if he took a meat cleaver to the budget, in addition to providing fodder for the Liberal opposition.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:00 PM

I'll be voting Liberal here in my West Ottawa riding. I would consider other options if my other choices weren't a Nazi dress maker (Justine McCaffrey) and an idiotic pseudoscientist MD (if you can even call Dr. Purdy by that anymore). Meanwhile, the Liberal candidate is a respected military veteran and mediator. If the Cons win I will be lost for words.....

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And you got all your preconceptions about the angry-old-white-man Conservative voters confirmed.

Sounds like a productive and entertaining day for a typical urban leftist. I'm glad you had such a good time.
I'm sorry I thought Liberals we centrist. Ya it was funny seeing the grumpy old white men voting for the party that will let them hold on to the good old ways and days. A good time though? No I didn't know we had any cons left in my downtown urban leftest tree hugging environment loving social service giving hood.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:30 PM
arf

Cons will win in my riding. Probably by a landslide. NDP took it last go around, but I think the Erin Weir incident will sink the NDP candidate this time.

I voted on Friday night. It was very quiet. One youngster voting in their first election who was super-excited to vote. That was great to see. He even kissed his ballot before putting it in the box. Not sure how effective that will be, but it was nice to see someone excited to vote.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
One youngster voting in their first election who was super-excited to vote. That was great to see. He even kissed his ballot before putting it in the box. Not sure how effective that will be, but it was nice to see someone excited to vote.
I remember how important I felt voting for the first time back in the 1970s. I was so excited I voted twice!

Before anyone gets on their high horse though, this was on PEI and, it was a provincial election. At the time, we had dual ridings and you were voting for two different candidates (councilor and assemblyman if I recall). I cast one vote Conservative and one vote Liberal (once for the party, and once for the candidate - one of the two Liberal candidates on the ticket was a really nice guy).

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Cons will win in my riding. Probably by a landslide. NDP took it last go around, but I think the Erin Weir incident will sink the NDP candidate this time.

I voted on Friday night. It was very quiet. One youngster voting in their first election who was super-excited to vote. That was great to see. He even kissed his ballot before putting it in the box. Not sure how effective that will be, but it was nice to see someone excited to vote.
The NDP candidate is actually polling close to the Cons in Regina-Lewvan now.

There's been a bit of a shakeup in the polls in Saskatchewan the last week. NDP is leading in Saskatoon West and up north. They're within striking distance in Regina -Lewvan too. Last week it looked like 13 Tory seats. Could go down to 10 by election day.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:50 PM

New Ipsos poll out today showing the Cons leading at 32% followed by the Libs at 30%. NDP surged up to 20%.

If this poll comes true its going to be a Conservative minority. Libs only polling 3 points above the Cons in Ontario, Libs only 2 points ahead in Quebec, in BC its a three way tie, Atlantic Canada Libs lead by 13+ points.

This type of setup could easily be a Scheer minority.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Chrystia was born and raised in Alberta, when was the last time the Liberals had a leader from Alberta? It would make it difficult to use the tried and true Liberal scorched earth campaign tactic of vilifying Alberta if the leader is from Alberta, not gonna happen folks.
The Alberta Advantage: Whining.

It was catering to Alberta in buying TMX that did the most damage to the Liberals with progressive voters.

I find Freeland annoying. I don't think I could sit through an election camapaign where I had to see her on the news everyday.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:01 PM

I am a fan of any minority. Will be interesting to see if extra days of advanced polls actually leads to increased voter turnout. Or perhaps the lack of truly inspiring candidates will keep voters home despite the extra voting days.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:15 PM

If it's a conservative Minority they won't be able to get anything done which might actually be better for the majority who didn't vote for them. the other parties might find themselves working together to get things they want done. I still don't want Sheer to be the face of Canada though on the world stage.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If it's a conservative Minority they won't be able to get anything done which might actually be better for the majority who didn't vote for them. the other parties might find themselves working together to get things they want done. I still don't want Sheer to be the face of Canada though on the world stage.
While I agree I also see blackface haunting Trudeau should he continue as our PM. The South Park and Simpson’s episodes alone will kill it.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Yes to this. A Liberal gov't would have made for a swifter replacement of Scheer. Now he'll linger around.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:50 PM

Mainstreet did a seat projection based on their most recent riding by riding polling across Canada here's what they came up with

155 Liberals
126 Conservatives
33 Bloc
21 NDP
3 Greens

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:51 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I don’t think Prime Minister Scheer will be spending quite as much time on the “world stage” as his predecessor did.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:53 PM

I wonder if Bernier is filled with regret over spending time, energy and money to build a party that is basically home to the people too kooky for the CPC? And is now pulling Libertarian party-like numbers in the polls?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder if Bernier is filled with regret over spending time, energy and money to build a party that is basically home to the people too kooky for the CPC? And is now pulling Libertarian party-like numbers in the polls?
Bernier's sole goal is to keep his seat, and he's probably in a coinflip race for that.
If you watched the French Commission debates he repeatedly spoke directly to "Beaucerons".

I voted Liberal this weekend in Nepean. The Liberals should hold it unless enough left-of-centre voters defect to the Greens or NDP, in which case the CPC will slip through. CPC is courting the francophone population heavily.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:38 PM

I know my parents voted this weekend as well in the riding of West Vancouver–Sunshine Coast–Sea to Sky Country. Both voted Liberal this time around.

The predictions for this riding are for a Liberal win.

LPC 39.3%
CPC 25.2%
GPC 25.1%
NDP 7.5%
PPC 2.5%

LPC Odds of winning - West Vancouver–Sunshine Coast–Sea to Sky Country
>99%

Looks like my riding which was Liberal last time is currently leaning towards NDP.
Toronto–Danforth
http://338canada.com/districts/35109e.htm

Mine is the only seat in Toronto leaning NDP lol. The rest are all Liberal or too close to call Liberal NDP right now. Seems like Doug Ford even in hiding has screwed the cons out of our city.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Mainstreet did a seat projection based on their most recent riding by riding polling across Canada here's what they came up with

155 Liberals
126 Conservatives
33 Bloc
21 NDP
3 Greens
Hard to reconcile that tally with the latest Ipsos numbers, no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada