HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 8:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Wikipedia seems to have a list for Chicago, although not many people I've heard of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...icago#Football

The ones I've heard of are:

Dick Butkus
Donovan McNabb
Pierre Thomas

I guess this doesn't include the 'burbs (Jimmy Garappolo is from Arlington Heights, for example).

That list just are for players born in the city limits.

Id like to know how the OP found the Greats. Must have been a link, otherwise it would have been exhausting work.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...y=USA&state=IL

For current NFL players there are 64 active players from Illinois.

Most are from the Chicagoland area of course. And more from the Burbs than the city limits.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...y=USA&state=PA

For reference there are 60 active players from PA.

And interestingly only 39 from the State of New York

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...y=USA&state=NY.

Last edited by bnk; Jan 13, 2021 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:22 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
That list just are for players born in the city limits.

Id like to know how the OP found the Greats. Must have been a link, otherwise it would have been exhausting work.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...y=USA&state=IL

For current NFL players there are 64 active players from Illinois.

Most are from the Chicagoland area of course. And more from the Burbs than the city limits.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...y=USA&state=PA

For reference there are 60 active players from PA.

And interestingly only 39 from the State of New York

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...y=USA&state=NY.
Yeah, it's tricky because like Kirk Cousins was born in Barrington, but I don't think he grew up in Illinois.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 9:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Time for a bit of CanCon.

The most famous NFLer from my area is quarterback Jesse Palmer who is from the west end Ottawa suburb of Nepean. He had a pretty good college career with the Florida Gators.

He played for the 49ers and Giants (and also very briefly for Montreal in the CFL) but I think he might be better known as "The Bachelor" and for his broadcasting career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Palmer

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:29 PM

If Western PA is the bright center of the football universe, Arizona is probably the state that is furthest from. Here is our pro football reference list:

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...y=USA&state=AZ

The player most associated with Arizona is probably Pat Tillman. He's not from here, but he went to ASU, and played for the Cardinals. And he's known less for his play than for his retirement and untimely death.

The other person I think of is Danny White, of Cowboys fame. He's from AZ, went to ASU, and remains beloved in AZ in large part because after playing he coached the Arizona Rattlers to some championships in the heyday of the Arena Football league in the 90s.

Other than those two, it's pretty slim pickings. I am not a massive football fan, so guys like Randall McDaniel and Curley Culp (the only two pro football hall of famers from Arizona) are not really on my radar. Darren Woodson is a borderline HOFer from here.

For current players, Ryan Fitzpatrick is probably the biggest name.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:16 AM
E pluribus unum

Yeah, unfortunately Arizona hasn't had a whole lot of football talent/notoriety. Maybe it's because this is a relatively new state that didn't see a population boom until the mid-20th century? Is Frank Kush an honorary Arizonan? I believe he also grew up in Western PA.

The Cardinals have had a lot of near misses or brushes with greatness but always find a way to screw up. They're kind of like my Bengals, although the Cards at least have a couple of playoff victories this century as well as an NFC Title. Their last NFL title was when they still played in Chicago back in 1948 IIRC?

At the end of 2019 (around the December Signing Day deadline) There was a great article in The Athletic written by (Phoenix native) Ari Weisserman about how ASU and UofA can't even hold onto prospects in their own backyards, losing good recruits to places like the California schools, Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma and even Ohio State. I was kind of hoping ASU hiring Herm Edwards would change that, but the jury's still out.

I went to high school with running back Bobby Wade (he helped my high school win the 1998 5A Football Championship). He played at UofA and was in the NFL long enough to get a pension, but that's about it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Yeah, unfortunately Arizona hasn't had a whole lot of football talent/notoriety. Maybe it's because this is a relatively new state that didn't see a population boom until the mid-20th century? Is Frank Kush an honorary Arizonan? I believe he also grew up in Western PA.

Yes, Frank Kush is from the Johnstown area.

The number of prominent football coaches in the college and pro ranks from western PA, eastern OH, northern WV... the entire coal/steel region... Appalachia... is just amazing.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Time for a bit of CanCon.

The most famous NFLer from my area is quarterback Jesse Palmer who is from the west end Ottawa suburb of Nepean. He had a pretty good college career with the Florida Gators.

He played for the 49ers and Giants (and also very briefly for Montreal in the CFL) but I think he might be better known as "The Bachelor" and for his broadcasting career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Palmer
Seems like a good guy. I met him a few years ago at an after-party for a game in which he was on the broadcast.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 1:27 AM

I grew up down the street from Luke Kuechly in suburban Cincinnati. He had an impressive but fairly short (8 seasons) career for the Carolina Panthers.

Roger Staubach, Shaun Alexander, and Cris Carter are probably the biggest names who've come from the Cincinnati area.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I grew up down the street from Luke Kuechly in suburban Cincinnati. He had an impressive but fairly short (8 seasons) career for the Carolina Panthers.

Roger Staubach, Shaun Alexander, and Cris Carter are probably the biggest names who've come from the Cincinnati area.
These are the stories that make this thread worthwhile... being a neighbor of one of the best linebackers in football history.

Cinncinati is a powerhouse of football history, at the high school, college, and pro levels.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Alabama gets more talent from TX than TX and A&M, and gets more talent from FL than FL, FL State and Miami.

Over the last 50 years, there has been a tremendous change in CFB talent hotbeds. It used to be OH & PA. Now it's basically FL, the deep South states (GA, MS, AL, LA), and TX.

But it doesn't seem that location matters that much. If you look at the roster of any major college program, it's clear the recruiting is now national. Even mediocre programs will have starters from California to the Northeast.

And it's clear the least football-oriented region of the U.S. is the Northeast. Many high schools don't even have football, and if they do, it's not very popular and in danger of being dropped. Lacrosse is usually perceived as the highest profile boys HS sport, then maybe soccer.
Football isn't very big in the southwest either, relative to basketball which reigns supreme. Many high schools, especially in NM, don't have football programs.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 1:45 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Since this is about football "culture'', I think it would be cool if people posted videos of momentous plays, etc. that have marked football history in your city or region. It would be cool if they could be from any level, pro, college or even high school or anything else if you feel like it (and can find video).

I have a few in mind.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 1:50 AM

SoCal's greatest contribution to football heritage is... the Super Bowl. No, really. The Super Bowl, and every other bowl game is named after the Rose Bowl Game ("The Granddaddy of Them All") which is named after the stadium in Pasadena. The first Super Bowl also took place at the LA Memorial Coliseum in 1967.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
SoCal's greatest contribution to football heritage is... the Super Bowl. No, really. The Super Bowl, and every other bowl game is named after the Rose Bowl Game ("The Granddaddy of Them All") which is named after the stadium in Pasadena. The first Super Bowl also took place at the LA Memorial Coliseum in 1967.
Add in about a billion NFL players past and present, USC and their history and its pretty great football heritage out here.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 2:24 AM

^ Yeah Southern California in general is a major locale for football heritage at all levels. Very cool to think about early football happening there in the 1920s-30s

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 2:34 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

So here is a first video. I don't think people on here will recognize it but it's one of my fondest football "moments" in recent years.

In terms of sports I've always been a fan of all of the Montreal clubs, except for football for some reason where I have always supported Ottawa's CFL clubs, the Rough Riders, the Renegades (very briefly, let's not talk about that) and the Redblacks who are featured in the video.

It's a 93-yard end of game winning touchdown in the 2015 CFL Eastern Final, which is basically like the NFC or AFC championship: the winner goes to the Grey Cup.

I especially like this play because the snap was high (over the QB's head), the QB bobbled it, but he kept his cool and he still got the long pass off to his receiver.

Note that since this is CFL and there are only three downs, so this 2nd down was their last down before having to punt.

The QB, Henry Burris, has had very brief stints in the NFL with the Packers and Bears. But he's pretty much a CFL legend. In addition to being a really nice guy. His nickname is Smilin' Hank. It doesn't get any better than that.

Anyway, here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfKFqidUe4M

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So here is a first video. I don't think people on here will recognize it but it's one of my fondest football "moments" in recent years.

In terms of sports I've always been a fan of all of the Montreal clubs, except for football for some reason where I have always supported Ottawa's CFL clubs, the Rough Riders, the Renegades (very briefly, let's not talk about that) and the Redblacks who are featured in the video.

It's a 93-yard end of game winning touchdown in the 2015 CFL Eastern Final, which is basically like the NFC or AFC championship: the winner goes to the Grey Cup.

I especially like this play because the snap was high (over the QB's head), the QB bobbled it, but he kept his cool and he still got the long pass off to his receiver.

Note that since this is CFL and there are only three downs, so this 2nd down was their last down before having to punt.

The QB, Henry Burris, has had very brief stints in the NFL with the Packers and Bears. But he's pretty much a CFL legend. In addition to being a really nice guy. His nickname is Smilin' Hank. It doesn't get any better than that.

Anyway, here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfKFqidUe4M
That's good stuff. Since I grew up in Erie, I watched CFL games on CHCH and CKCO TV who broadcast across the Lake, along with NFL games. I was (and remain) a Tigercats fan.

I was a high school basketball assistant coach for Jovon Johnson, who was the Defensive MVP for the CFL when he played for Winnipeg. Most Americans have no idea whatsoever about the high quality of Canadian pro football, nor the rich history of the sport just north of the border.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 5:45 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Nothing to do with where I currently live or grew up, but I lived across the hall from Andrew Luck one year in college and sold him my futon when I graduated .

Best play ever, displaying the correct thing to do to a Cal person.
Video Link

The high school I went to has produced some NFL talent. People currently in the league are Kyle Van Noy and Brandon Ayiuk.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 5:46 AM
The New Republic

GREATER TORONTO-HAMILTON: Lots of Football Firsts

- World's first documented football game
- World's oldest football trophy (Yates Cup)
- World's 2 oldest pro football teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) Hamiton Tiger-Cats (1869)

University of Toronto: 160 years of varsity football

https://magazine.utoronto.ca/campus/...ball-150-year/

In 2011, the University of Toronto marked the 150th anniversary of the birth of North American football with a gala. The world's first documented football game was one played at University College at the University of Toronto on November 9, 1861. One of the participants of that first game was Sir William Mulloch. He went on to become the Chancellor of the university. A sign in the University of Toronto Varsity Blues football locker room reads 'Know Who You Are'. It's in reference to the school being the birthplace of football. I tried finding a photo of it online but with no luck. The sport continued to develop at the universities of central Canada with many innovations like the forward pass. This new sport was introduced to Harvard University by Montreal's McGill University in that famous 1874 home and away series.

This region of Ontario is home to the Yates Cup and awarded to the champion of Ontario university football. It's the oldest football trophy surpassing both the Grey Cup and the Little Brown Jug. The Western University Mustangs have won it the most times (32) followed by the University of Toronto (25) and Queens University (23). The 2 oldest professional football teams are also from this area. The Toronto Argonauts were founded in 1873 while the Hamilton Tiger-Cats trace their roots back to the Hamilton Tigers (1869). In 1950, the Hamilton Tgers and Hamilton Wildcats merged to form the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, hence the odd name. In 2019, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats celebrated 150th years of existence. When hosting the Toronto Argonauts they gave away 5,000 commemorative bobblehead dolls. I was at that game.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Est. 1869
Oskee Wee Wee!

http://collectingcanadianfootball.bl...n-bobbles.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football
https://magazine.utoronto.ca/campus/...ty-of-toronto/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yates_Cup

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 14, 2021 at 6:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 6:16 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The number of prominent football coaches in the college and pro ranks from western PA, eastern OH, northern WV... the entire coal/steel region... Appalachia... is just amazing.
Must've been something in the water

Orange County, CA is another high school football powerhouse. I did some freelance work for the Register when I lived there in the early to mid-2000s and schools like Mater Dei, Mission Viejo and Santa Margarita were churning out four and five star prospects left and right, most of whom were going to USC.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
GREATER TORONTO-HAMILTON: Lots of Football Firsts

- World's first documented football game
- World's oldest football trophy (Yates Cup)
- World's 2 oldest pro football teams: Toronto Argonauts (1873) Hamiton Tiger-Cats (1869)

University of Toronto: 160 years of varsity football

https://magazine.utoronto.ca/campus/...ball-150-year/

In 2011, the University of Toronto marked the 150th anniversary of the birth of North American football with a gala. The world's first documented football game was one played at University College at the University of Toronto on November 9, 1861. One of the participants of that first game was Sir William Mulloch. He went on to become the Chancellor of the university. A sign in the University of Toronto Varsity Blues football locker room reads 'Know Who You Are'. It's in reference to the school being the birthplace of football. I tried finding a photo of it online but with no luck. The sport continued to develop at the universities of central Canada with many innovations like the forward pass. This new sport was introduced to Harvard University by Montreal's McGill University in that famous 1874 home and away series.

This region of Ontario is home to the Yates Cup and awarded to the champion of Ontario university football. It's the oldest football trophy surpassing both the Grey Cup and the Little Brown Jug. The Western University Mustangs have won it the most times (32) followed by the University of Toronto (25) and Queens University (23). The 2 oldest professional football teams are also from this area. The Toronto Argonauts were founded in 1873 while the Hamilton Tiger-Cats trace their roots back to the Hamilton Tigers (1869). In 1950, the Hamilton Tgers and Hamilton Wildcats merged to form the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, hence the odd name. In 2019, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats celebrated 150th years of existence. When hosting the Toronto Argonauts they gave away 5,000 commemorative bobblehead dolls. I was at that game.

Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Est. 1869
Oskee Wee Wee!

http://collectingcanadianfootball.bl...n-bobbles.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football
https://magazine.utoronto.ca/campus/...ty-of-toronto/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yates_Cup
Good write up! The CFL really does have a long rich tradition that a lot of people aren't aware of...Someone please explain to me why two teams in a then 6 team league were named The "Roughriders"?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions