HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Is Atlanta the most important city in the South?
Yes 59 57.84%
No 43 42.16%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 10:24 PM

Baltimore isn't NE proper either, and the Jewish population in DC is mostly due to internal migration not direct immigration.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 11:34 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Which I never claimed. Baltimore is still situated north of DC, is it not?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 11:43 PM

Atlanta is more "influential" than the other 4 large southern metros IMHO because of its cultural heritage and NOW the rapidly shifting political landscape.

The 2020 census will reveal just how culturally diverse metro Atlanta has become. If you haven't visited the city in the past 3-5 years, you'd be shocked at how diverse the metro has become, and how infill development is stitching together a more cohesive city within the I-285 (perimeter) corridor. You can feel it even in the suburban counties ringing Fulton county. Even some of the smaller counties are majority-minority on the fringes of the larger counties.

The 2020 census will likely reveal that there are:
2,000,000+ African Americans
1,000,000+ Latinos
750,000+ AAPI residents
and an untold number of LGBTQ cohorts living in the metro.
The metro population is nearly majority-minority and will definitely be by 2025 and will likely trend bluer in future elections.
Like the saying goes "Once your team wins a Super Bowl, you will always think you can win again no matter how pitiful your team is going into the playoffs". - Author Unknown

Just my 2 cents...

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Yes, Miami's glorious start with an operating slave powered plantation at the mouth of the river is a much more impressive beginning for a city. That's what I call a strategic placement if there ever was one!
Your reply is a bit disingenuous because you make it seem like it was some serious outpost of Slavery which it was not.
At the time that slave plantation existed there even wasn't a city of Miami. In fact after Slavery ended in 1865 there hardly was any human habitation of significance until Miami was founded 31 years later in 1896.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver...lavery_map.jpg

If you magnify the map twice you will see that Florida let alone southern Florida barely had any Slaves.

Last edited by bobdreamz; Feb 5, 2021 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Your reply is a bit disingenuous because you make it seem like it was some serious outpost of Slavery which it was not.
At the time that slave plantation existed there even wasn't a city of Miami. In fact after Slavery ended in 1865 there hardly was any human habitation of significance until Miami was founded 31 years later in 1896.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver...lavery_map.jpg

If you magnify the map twice you will see that Florida let alone southern Florida barely had any Slaves.
I'm aware of all of this, Bob. The person I was responding to was being a huge douche re: Atlanta.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 10:18 PM

I really don't see how one could argue that Atlanta is more important than either Dallas or Houston being that both these cities have a larger economic impact, larger populations, more diversity and are growing faster than Atlanta. Atlanta is a juggernaut and definitely has a more "Southern" culture since Dallas and Houston have a more distinct Texas culture, but it doesn't compare.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG425 View Post
I really don't see how one could argue that Atlanta is more important than either Dallas or Houston being that both these cities have a larger economic impact, larger populations, more diversity and are growing faster than Atlanta. Atlanta is a juggernaut and definitely has a more "Southern" culture since Dallas and Houston have a more distinct Texas culture, but it doesn't compare.
Atlanta's economy, culture, and politics are also more important to, and representative of, a broader swath of the South.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG425 View Post
Well you're in luck! There are 280 pages to help you "see how one could argue" such a thing. Enjoy!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions