HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Without hockey my oldest kid is always bugging me to take him to the rink, so most days he and I end up going to one of the community clubs in my area to horse around out there. But lately it appears to me that there are entire AAA, high school, junior, beer league teams getting together out there. Social distancing is rarely observed and no one is masked. Even though it's outdoors, I'm frankly a little surprised that this gets a pass.
I've seen shinny games on the river at various rinks while community club hockey rinks are locked tight, pretty fine line between what's good for mental health and the physical fitness which adolescents need and any risk of covid outdoors.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:42 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Without hockey my oldest kid is always bugging me to take him to the rink, so most days he and I end up going to one of the community clubs in my area to horse around out there. But lately it appears to me that there are entire AAA, high school, junior, beer league teams getting together out there. Social distancing is rarely observed and no one is masked. Even though it's outdoors, I'm frankly a little surprised that this gets a pass.
I was playing at wildwood on saturday night and the other rink had easily 50 high school looking kids on the ice. half were playing. Half standing and chatting. When the lights went of at 10pm a big line of parents in cars showed up and they all piled in and rode away. it looked like portage avenue after a boy band concert.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:43 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
I've seen shinny games on the river at various rinks while community club hockey rinks are locked tight, pretty fine line between what's good for mental health and the physical fitness which adolescents need and any risk of covid outdoors.
agreed. At some point we have to accept the low risk activities if there is a greater good to be had.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
agreed. At some point we have to accept the low risk activities if there is a greater good to be had.
I totally agree that low risk activities should be accepted, but the scenario you mentioned in your last post is what I was getting at. A dozen people on the rink is no big deal but I've seen some pretty big groups in close quarters and sometimes even what looks like informal team scrimmages going on.

I realize it's outside and all but stuff like what you mentioned with 50 kids on a rink, does not seem like a wise thing to be doing right now.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:56 PM
surely you agree with me

for sure...i wasnt justifying it. I first thought they must have all told their parents they were heading to the rink to play with their buddy and really set up a school wide meet-up....but it was obviously done with permission.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:58 PM

Give it a month and we wont have to worry about ODR's. Although that will transition to soccer, ultimate, etc. as the weather warms up.

I haven't been to the ODR myself this year. I've seen posts where there is excellent social distancing and not many people. I've seen other posts where there medium amounts of people and decent distancing. But nothing with large groups congregating. I guess that stuff doesn't make it on the record.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:04 PM

^ Soccer and ultimate are not as bad because there are more fields and people can spread out more. But if you're at the community club and there are 60 people with skates on you know they are going to be crammed on the two small rinks that these places usually have.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:23 PM

Growing up, the CC I frequented had 3 rinks and a pleasure rink. They still do. It was always soo busy. On weekdays, 2 rinks would be tied up for practices. Leaving the 3rd rink for shinny and the pleasure rink for everyone else. Pleasure rink being larger than the hockey rink. Weekends it was free for all and really busy.

I dislike when CC's are updated, such as Bronx Park. They cut it down to 2 rinks.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 11:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Growing up, the CC I frequented had 3 rinks and a pleasure rink. They still do. It was always soo busy. On weekdays, 2 rinks would be tied up for practices. Leaving the 3rd rink for shinny and the pleasure rink for everyone else. Pleasure rink being larger than the hockey rink. Weekends it was free for all and really busy.

I dislike when CC's are updated, such as Bronx Park. They cut it down to 2 rinks.
Sadly shinny or even kids skating outdoors with pickup games doesn’t exist very much anymore, it all went away with video games and seems to accelerated even more in the last five years.

I’ve skated after work the past 3-4 years and sometimes I’m the only one out there and if I’m not it’s with other guys post 40!

Sad really, think there are many other factors as well, bottom line hockey isn’t as popular as it once was, don’t know how that bodes for fans of pro hockey in the future but I’m guessing we’re past the heyday of interest in that as well!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 2:21 AM
surely you agree with me

Image of Andy Sipowits blasting slap shots.

They are definitely much busier this year. I wonder if it will cause a resurgence in the future.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 12:56 PM

Hockey is a dying sport. The only ones playing it are the ones who can afford it. It’s thousands of dollars a year to put your kid in hockey. Most parents can’t afford that these days. Sad reality. Hurray for indoor soccer. Lol.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 1:51 PM
surely you agree with me

All sports are dying. Hooray for video games.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 1:58 PM
surely you agree with me

But seriously. Amateur hockey registration is actually up by about 10% since 2010.

It only costs thousands of your kid is good. Ha ha.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
All sports are dying. Hooray for video games.
I think your experience might be anecdotal, from my knowledge rec sports are just as popular as ever, but shifting to different sports. Soccer leagues can't find enough greenspace because there are so many kids playing. Soccer is cheap, and it's also popular with immigrant families.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 2:44 PM
What could go wrong?

Hockey is not dying.

My kid has been at ODR's essentially every day for the past two weeks - Gateway and NK + a few ponds. Gateway has done a nice job of expanding their space after flooding one of their baseball diamonds and making a skating trail around all of the soccer fields. The nice part is it is all Zambonied. The ice is great. NK has 3 rinks and a pleasure sheet. Families and players are loving it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 2:57 PM

Yeah, if hockey is dying I'm not seeing it. It's like with any sport, playing recreationally or even at lower competitive levels is not that expensive, at least relative to other organized sports. Obviously if you're a 14 year old aspiring to the big time and you are on teams that travel all the time and do lots of additional camps and programs, etc. then it gets expensive. But that's going to be the case with any elite sport. Even for a "cheap" sport like soccer, if you're travelling across the country for tournaments as many do, it will get very pricy.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:23 PM
the first stamp is free

A3/A2 level hockey is about the same or slightly cheaper than having a kid in gymnastics or dance.

Even rec league outdoor soccer is ~$350 plus equipment once the kids graduate out of Timbits.

What remains cheap is under 9 ringette. ~$200 plus equipment. That includes 2 or 3 indoor ice times a week.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:32 PM
What could go wrong?

My son plays A1-AA level hockey. This year fees for all players were $750. Even though the season only went a couple of practices in we also payed $400 for practice ice (may or may not get refunded pending a season). We would normally have 2 more payments like this through-out the season. The big issue in cost now is at 14, he is growing like a weed. We had to pump out about $600-700 for new skates, stick and gloves this year. He had new skates last year too.

Hockey was much cheaper from timbits to age 12. About $1000/year.

Hopefully he will play high school hockey next year.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
A3/A2 level hockey is about the same or slightly cheaper than having a kid in gymnastics or dance.

Even rec league outdoor soccer is ~$350 plus equipment once the kids graduate out of Timbits.

What remains cheap is under 9 ringette. ~$200 plus equipment. That includes 2 or 3 indoor ice times a week.
In Regina, the RMF (Regina Minor Football) is one of the most inexpensive sports around. All the heavy equipment is owned by the league and the only thing for personal purchase is cleats and gloves (if they want the gloves). Last year my son played it was about 150.00 for the season. They also had a program for lower income kids to be able to play.
All and all a very successful program.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 4:29 PM

We're way off topic. BUt when I was playing hockey back in the 90's and early 2000. AA was about $1500 per year. Plus if you went on a trip. AAA was something like $3k-$4k IIRC. Plus equipment, clothes and all that jazz.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan