HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 10:36 PM

Hut's and the liquor store next door are fenced off and Hut's is being demoed.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 11:08 PM

Glad I got to take some great photos of that block at night last year when it was all lit up in a blaze of spectacular 1950s/60s neon. That block was like a warm welcoming time warp.

Bring on the boring off-the-shelf 30-floor high rise with sterile ground floor corporate chain retail. Yawn...

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 12:04 AM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Hut's and the liquor store next door are fenced off and Hut's is being demoed.

So the Austin HLC had a hernia about a non-descript bungalow on Rainey but didn't about what at least looks historic (out of the diner era) on West Sixth?!?

Hypocrites! Oh, we already know that. It's almost the same in SA.

Have there been any renderings on what is going to replace these structures? Or are they simply leveling the site for the foreseeable future?

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
Glad I got to take some great photos of that block at night last year when it was all lit up in a blaze of spectacular 1950s/60s neon. That block was like a warm welcoming time warp.

Bring on the boring off-the-shelf 30-floor high rise with sterile ground floor corporate chain retail. Yawn...
Unless the plans have changed, Hut's is being replaced with an Italian restaurant. The liquor store is being converted into a take out pizza joint and will be an apparent sister to the Italian restaurant.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 3:20 PM
Member since 2001

^Thank you Paul. That's right. I remember now.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Unless the plans have changed, Hut's is being replaced with an Italian restaurant. The liquor store is being converted into a take out pizza joint and will be an apparent sister to the Italian restaurant.
That's what I thought... I'm really hoping that demo is to the structure additions. That side was the kitchen. And yes. Italian and pizza... Fingers crossed.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 8:43 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I'm glad that the original structure will stay intact. Guess there isn't going to be a highrise on this spot which is just fine by me. I really feel that W. 6th should keep it's current character focused on pedestrian activity with a mixture of entertainment/venue restaurants and shops. The hotel that they finished up really does an excellent job at melding with the existing fabric, such a wonderful addition. I'd like to see that parking lot at 6th and Nueces developed into more venue, shop and restaurant space to continue and bridge the pedestrian experience.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 7:33 PM

That's great to hear. My biggest fear when high rises replace this stuff is that other than usually being aesthetically sterile at the street level, we get a lifeless soulless space that is forever looking for tenants because no one local wants to pay the inflated lease rates.

So instead of something activated, we get a bunch of windows covered with wallpaper advertisements for the building itself and "Space Available!" ...with an out of town phone number to call.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 1:55 AM

Construction on the empty lot south of Taco Cabana on the west side of North Lamar -- Google maps names the lot 5210 N. Lamar. A couple of backhoes, what looked like a portable building, a couple of piles of dirt.

I seem to remember us discussing it some time ago . . . anyone know anything?

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Construction on the empty lot south of Taco Cabana on the west side of North Lamar -- Google maps names the lot 5210 N. Lamar. A couple of backhoes, what looked like a portable building, a couple of piles of dirt.

I seem to remember us discussing it some time ago . . . anyone know anything?
VMU apartment building. Towers had a few short blurbs about it a while back.

https://austin.towers.net/north-cent...artment-units/

https://austin.towers.net/aura-north...to-north-loop/

The development review seems to be crawling along but getting closer.

I'm eagerly awaiting this and three others on N Lamar between there and 183:
Aura (Lamar/Koenig), Broadstone N Lamar, and Crestview Highline.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I'm glad that the original structure will stay intact. Guess there isn't going to be a highrise on this spot which is just fine by me. I really feel that W. 6th should keep it's current character focused on pedestrian activity with a mixture of entertainment/venue restaurants and shops. The hotel that they finished up really does an excellent job at melding with the existing fabric, such a wonderful addition. I'd like to see that parking lot at 6th and Nueces developed into more venue, shop and restaurant space to continue and bridge the pedestrian experience.

Definitely looks like the majority of Hut's facade is being saved.
Would love to see some drawing plans for both buildings.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
VMU apartment building. Towers had a few short blurbs about it a while back.

https://austin.towers.net/north-cent...artment-units/

https://austin.towers.net/aura-north...to-north-loop/

The development review seems to be crawling along but getting closer.

I'm eagerly awaiting this and three others on N Lamar between there and 183:
Aura (Lamar/Koenig), Broadstone N Lamar, and Crestview Highline.
Thanks for digging that out. The construction didn't seem significant -- more like cleaning the lot, if that makes sense. Didn't get the sense that it was actually underway.

I did see that Aura/The Whale has a good deal of its parking structure built out, and lots of foundation work done. I drove past on a Wednesday evening, so couldn't tell if it's on pause or actively being worked on.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:48 AM

The Tallest Austin Projects list was updated for June in the sticky development link thread. I was hoping to add Union on 24th. But that'll have to wait for the next update since the height info isn't available yet.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Tallest Austin Projects list was updated for June in the sticky development link thread. I was hoping to add Union on 24th. But that'll have to wait for the next update since the height info isn't available yet.
FWIW, those imgur links in that post now seem to be broken, at least for me. https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...05&postcount=6

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 4:20 PM

Alright, now that Parsley's tower is down, what do we think is the next one to kick off?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 12:43 AM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 7:09 PM

Johnson Healthcare Real Estate Begins 101,000-Square-Foot Medical Office Building in Austin, TX

Quote:
Johnson Healthcare Real Estate, a Birmingham, Alabama-based development, project management, and real estate services firm, recently broke ground on a new 101,000 medical office building in Austin, Texas. The building, along with a 290-space parking garage, will be located at Lamar Boulevard and 32nd Street on the campus of Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin in Austin, Texas.

Ascension Seton, Capital Medical Clinic, and The OB/GYN Group of Austin will occupy the building, which is slated to open in June 2021. Ascension Seton will serve patients with cardiology, complex spine, and outpatient imaging services. “The significant growth in the Austin market over the past decade has led to this expansion of the Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin campus,” said Ray Anderson, Chief Strategy Officer at Ascension Seton. “We look forward to serving the people of Central Texas and beyond in this new, state-of-the-art building.”

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Johnson Healthcare Real Estate Begins 101,000-Square-Foot Medical Office Building in Austin, TX

Johnson Healthcare Real Estate, a Birmingham, Alabama-based development, project management, and real estate services firm, recently broke ground on a new 101,000 medical office building in Austin, Texas. The building, along with a 290-space parking garage, will be located at Lamar Boulevard and 32nd Street on the campus of Ascension Seton Medical Center Austin in Austin, Texas.
There's already a pretty gigantic Seton garage right next door. I'll admit I don't pay too much attention to it, but I can't recall ever seeing it looking full before. I wonder if that new garage is really necessary.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 10:44 PM

New Porsche Austin dealership location at corner of the Arboretum.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 3:12 AM
クラブトクヨ

It’s huge! I’ve been to many cities in with Porsche dealerships and this is the largest
One I’ve seen so far.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin