HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 5:39 PM

For the benefit of others who expect the content of a thread to match its title, could people please try to keep posts on topic? It is fine to have a couple of posts about a side issue, but when it becomes more than a page and the original intent of the thread is not even mentioned, there is a problem.

If a topic comes up, and it is of interest to you - and you think that it might require more than one (1) post - please just add a referrence to the proper thread and move the discussion there.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
Somehow you made it work. We cannot always design the city around how students feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
None of the examples I gave are doable by bicycle or walking. Are we really set to design things so that frail elderly and moms with small kids ride bikes around or walk through storms because we can't stand cars and prioritize bikes above transit?
Yep, no way "Hordes of people could get back and forth to work on time" could happen on a bike. None. Impossible....

As for the others, that's some serious whataboutism. And on for your fifth point: more power to them. It seems like you have a problem that goes beyond cycling; have you tried riding a bicycle lately?

Bringing this back to the Baseline BRT; the benefits of that project go far beyond the transit lanes, though that's obviously critical. The design also proposed proper cycle tracks and protected intersections along its entire length. Baseline is currently a significant barrier to safe cycling, and cycle tracks along the entire corridor would be a huge improvement. The proposal doesn't significantly affect the road lanes either - It's almost as if what is keeping us from having better urban streets is the demand for parking.

It's disappointing to see LRT to Barrhaven be put ahead of this. A person who commutes from Barrheven isn't going to see significant improvements to their commute if they have to switch from bus-train and back again 5 minutes further from home. People on Baseline who rely on cycling and the 88 are going to see a significant improvement to not only their commute, but also all the other things they use transit and cycling for.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
The design also proposed proper cycle tracks and protected intersections along its entire length. Baseline is currently a significant barrier to safe cycling, and cycle tracks along the entire corridor would be a huge improvement.
I believe this project also has plans for planting trees along the farm on the other side of the cycle / pedestrian track. This will help a lot with fighting wind gusts coming off the farm that make walking and biking really unpleasant in the winter.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 1:55 AM

Quote:
It's disappointing to see LRT to Barrhaven be put ahead of this. A person who commutes from Barrheven isn't going to see significant improvements to their commute if they have to switch from bus-train and back again 5 minutes further from home. People on Baseline who rely on cycling and the 88 are going to see a significant improvement to not only their commute, but also all the other things they use transit and cycling for.
I agree. I don’t see much benefit to Barrhaven LRT at all, especially if it ends at Fallowfield where nearly everyone would have to transfer. The only beneficiaries would be the folks using the park and ride; to give them a one vehicle trip from their car.

Baseline BRT has much greater benefit to the many Barrhaven residents who work at Confederation Heights or AgCan.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Bringing this back to the Baseline BRT; the benefits of that project go far beyond the transit lanes, though that's obviously critical. The design also proposed proper cycle tracks and protected intersections along its entire length. Baseline is currently a significant barrier to safe cycling, and cycle tracks along the entire corridor would be a huge improvement. The proposal doesn't significantly affect the road lanes either - It's almost as if what is keeping us from having better urban streets is the demand for parking.
And most importantly, the addition of cycling infrastructure isn't what's holding back the Baseline BRT project in any way shape or form.

I do not get the logic at all shared by members that the reason we have poor bus service is due to cycling infrastructure or due to Urban councillors enthusiasm for bicycles but I'll try to stick to the topic at hand. Especially when like you said, entire lanes are occupied by parked cars.

I see the Baseline and Carling BRTs as an example of two low risk and (relatively) low cost solutions that will have a major positive impact for the Bus riders.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspotting View Post
And most importantly, the addition of cycling infrastructure isn't what's holding back the Baseline BRT project in any way shape or form.

I do not get the logic at all shared by members that the reason we have poor bus service is due to cycling infrastructure or due to Urban councillors enthusiasm for bicycles but I'll try to stick to the topic at hand. Especially when like you said, entire lanes are occupied by parked cars.

I see the Baseline and Carling BRTs as an example of two low risk and (relatively) low cost solutions that will have a major positive impact for the Bus riders.
As I said in another thread, the solution is simple, if expensive: build a viaduct, either for rapid bus (with local buses running on street) or put the bikes on a viaduct (cheaper).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:18 PM

What's the current status of this project?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613Steve View Post
What's the current status of this project?
Sitting on our hands until the Feds give us money. That's the status of nearly every City project nowadays.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Sitting on our hands until the Feds give us money. That's the status of nearly every City project nowadays.
Sad but true.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2021, 4:17 AM

This won't be built for years.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 3:45 PM

During the discussion on the Clyde/Baseline towers at Planning Committee August 26th, staff indicated that the timeline for the Baseline BRT is post 2031.

Development along Baseline could influence earlier funding for the transit corridor.

At 4:13:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJxlA4wBeso

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 7:00 PM

Quote:
During the discussion on the Clyde/Baseline towers at Planning Committee August 26th, staff indicated that the timeline for the Baseline BRT is post 2031.

Development along Baseline could influence earlier funding for the transit corridor.

At 4:13:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJxlA4wBeso
I don't really understand that answer, because she indicated the timeline in the current TMP (2015 version). In that document, Baseline BRT is part of the 2031 affordable network, which means it is supposed to be funded by 2031 (not post 2031).

FWIW, the city's "Construction and Infrastructure Projects" map shows a "targeted start date" of 1-2 years. (https://ottawa.ca/en/planning-develo...cture-projects)

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 10:16 PM

Interesting for project that was supposed to begin construction in 2020.

Just as I expected, and as I have posted for the last few years. No information is always bad as far as getting the job done.

Old Posted May 10, 2022, 7:46 PM

Rave reviews for a similar project that has just opened in San Francisco.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 1:25 AM

Someone finally taking about the Baseline BRT. Laine Johnson running for College Ward.

Quote:
Laine Johnson (@laine_johnson1)
Waiting a long time for a bus is also a public health and safety issue, especially late at night or in very hot/cold weather. The proposed Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) route along Baseline Rd is supposed to fix these problems.

Twitter•06/21/2022
https://twitter.com/laine_johnson1/s...C82Z_BlcYrAAAA

Old Posted Sep 14, 2022, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Someone finally taking about the Baseline BRT. Laine Johnson running for College Ward.

https://twitter.com/laine_johnson1/s...C82Z_BlcYrAAAA
I wouldn't get too excited, its just the standard platitudes from Johnson. If the community associations that are backing her campaign don't like it, then they won't support it in any direct action.

Basically asked for a straight answer and got hum and hawing about it being a good idea while trying to feel out what exactly was my position so they could pander to it. Statements is basically summed up as IF or when it moves forward they will be committed to make sure it stays on target. specifically calling out that residents feel concerned about traffic & new development and that local concern STILL need to be addressed....for the signed off plan....

Mind you the rest in college ward don't seem to be any better cause they won't even attempt to put a hum & hawing position in writing

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 3:10 AM

and yeah, 280 words from Liane Johnson about the important things of their platform and not a single word on transit....Liane will say whatever they think you want to hear.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/meet-the-c...lege-1.6081394

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoforange View Post
and yeah, 280 words from Liane Johnson about the important things of their platform and not a single word on transit....Liane will say whatever they think you want to hear.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/meet-the-c...lege-1.6081394
As far as I know, she's literally the only one who spoke about the Baseline BRT throughout this entire campaign, so there's that. With 60 seconds, you can't go into great detail. She did mention the need for more buses.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 9:50 PM

As I have said for years, Baseline BRT is another project tossed into the garbage can and will not be built. The city is so committed to LRT commuter service to downtown even though commuting is never going to return to previous levels.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 10:00 PM

Quote:
As far as I know, she's literally the only one who spoke about the Baseline BRT throughout this entire campaign, so there's that. With 60 seconds, you can't go into great detail. She did mention the need for more buses.
Multiple candidates mentioned transit during the debate. Twitter isn't a fulsome picture of a campaign.....and was talking about the written section....of which Pat McGarry mentions Baseline BRT by name...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation