HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 11:13 PM

^^^ At first I thought V.T. might stand for Verree Teasdale (actress married to Adolphe Menjou) ; but there's no resemblance.

The woman above looks more like Norma Shearer with mumps.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 12:40 AM

Yes, ethereal, the girl in the roadster does remind me of Norma.

MGM

But Norma didn't drive herself around town.

Getty Images/Hulton Archive http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/317...52222F25EC092C

The initials on the roadster door--especially the first one--also put me in mind of another Los Angeles babe:

Warner Bros.
"You think just because you made a little money you can get a new hairdo and some expensive clothes and turn yourself into a lady. But you can't, because you'll never be anything but a common frump whose father lived over a grocery store and whose mother took in washing." And, who could ever forget "Mrs. Biederhoff is distincly middle class!"

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 1:04 AM

Chords to 'SIGN' by Five Man Electrical Band.

D C G
Signs, signs, everywhere signs
D C G
Blockin' up the scenery, messin' my mind
D A
Do this, don't do that
C
Can't you read the signs.

BrerHair on jalopyjournal, probably from ulca archives

BrerHair on jalopyjournal. ucla archives

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Warner Bros.
"You think just because you made a little money you can get a new hairdo and some expensive clothes and turn yourself into a lady. But you can't, because you'll never be anything but a common frump whose father lived over a grocery store and whose mother took in washing." And, who could ever forget "Mrs. Biederhoff is distincly middle class!"
I love Ann Blyth. Or shall I say Veda Pierce? Now you got me started, I've seen the movie like at least 21 times. "With this money I can get away from you. From you and your chickens and your pies and your kitchens and everything that smells of grease. I can get away from this shack with its cheap furniture. And this town and its dollar days, and its women that wear uniforms and its men that wear overalls."

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 8:15 AM

Quote:
A 1936 aerial of Figueroa & 2nd--I think the building at the lower right of the intersection must be the one housing the U.S. Cut Rate Store--the size seems right, and the trolley-wire pole on 2nd Street set back from the corner seems to be the same one in ethereal's 1952 downpour shot.
I'm sure you're right. You can even see the same "Hotel" sign in both photos.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Pete_R & GaylordWilshire, you two could be sleuths!
I stared at that photo for a long time and missed every clue you found.

It seems the lack of information on these old photos sometimes works in their favor.
Instead of being quickly forgotten, they are perused and discussed.

I think that kind of interaction in this thread is what makes it so interesting.
If I was rich, I could spend whole days trying to ID locations in old LA photos. Like the guy who did those books on Keaton and Chaplin filming locations.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 12:27 PM

In the works

medialibrary

HBO
Kate Winslet: Mildred II

HBO
Evan Rachel Wood: Veda II

HBO
"...this town and its dollar days, and its women that wear uniforms and its men that wear overalls...."

In production now is the remake. If it's going to be remade, I guess HBO and Kate Winslet are the ones to do it, though I can't imagine it'll ever come close to the original even with them--will it? Hope it's not filmed in Bulgaria rather than on location in L.A.--remember the travesty of the 2006 Black Dahlia? Neither was I a fan of Far from Heaven (2002)--not an "L.A." movie, but one sharing directors with the new Mildred--Todd Haynes. It should be interesting to see a filmed MP set in the novel's Depression background, although it's hard to imagine it being better than the pure noir '40s of the 1945 version.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Chords to 'SIGN' by Five Man Electrical Band.

D C G
Signs, signs, everywhere signs
D C G
Blockin' up the scenery, messin' my mind
D A
Do this, don't do that
C
Can't you read the signs.

BrerHair on jalopyjournal, probably from ulca archives

BrerHair on jalopyjournal. ucla archives
My goodness. Those are museum pieces. Someone could probably start a decent retirement fund on the $$ those signs would fetch today...

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 4:50 PM

Quote:
In production now is the remake. If it's going to be remade, I guess HBO and Kate Winslet are the ones to do it, though I can't imagine it'll ever come close to the original even with them--will it? Hope it's not filmed in Bulgaria rather than on location in L.A.--remember the travesty of the 2006 Black Dahlia? Neither was I a fan of Far from Heaven (2002)--not an "L.A." movie, but one sharing directors with the new Mildred--Todd Haynes. It should be interesting to see a filmed MP set in the novel's Depression background, although it's hard to imagine it being better than the pure noir '40s of the 1945 version.
Oh, say it isn't so, a remake? Well at least it'll be on HBO (a station I don't get, incidentally) and I assume it'll more closely follow the novel? I haven't read the novel.

I never saw "Black Dahlia." I did like "Far From Heaven," though; I thought it was a good tribute to Douglas Sirk, hehe but another good Douglas Sirk homage is "Polyester," at least in my opinion.

I know I'm going off topic but a few months ago I saw a movie on DVD which was set in old Los Angeles but was actually shot in South Africa, called "The Fall," which I actually liked but I don't think it did well at the box office. I say this because there was another film which I haven't seen yet, an adaptation of Fante's "Ask the Dust" starring Colin Farrell, which was also shot in South Africa but set on old Bunker Hill in LA.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I know I'm going off topic but a few months ago I saw a movie on DVD which was set in old Los Angeles but was actually shot in South Africa, called "The Fall," which I actually liked but I don't think it did well at the box office. I say this because there was another film which I haven't seen yet, an adaptation of Fante's "Ask the Dust" starring Colin Farrell, which was also shot in South Africa but set on old Bunker Hill in LA.

Ask the Dust is discussed at some length here, with interesting pictures: http://www.onbunkerhill.org/AsktheDust

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Aug 27, 2010 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 11:15 PM

The Continental Air Map Company.
The company responsible for many of the wonderful aerials of Los Angeles back in the 1930s.

Below: Their hanger at Long Beach Airport.

R.T. Gerow Collection / Mark Gerow

Below: Russ Gerow

R.T. Gerow / Mark Gerow

Below: Their offices were located in this building at 114 S. Beaudry.

Below: This photo was taken many years later in 1977 (notice how much the plants have grown).

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 9, 2010 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 1:29 PM

Quote:
The Continental Air Map Company.
The company responsible for many of the wonderful aerials of Los Angeles back in the 1930s.

Below: Their offices were located in this building at 114 S. Beaudry.

Below: This photo was taken many years later in 1977 (notice how much the plants have grown).

Notice the Department of Water and Power building over on Hope Street peeking out in ethereal's 1977 shot.

Continental Air Maps' interesting building is gone, but its wall is still there:
Google Street View

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 17, 2010 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Notice the Department of Water and Power building over on Hope Street peeking out in ethereal's 1977 shot.

Continental Air Maps' interesting building is gone, but its wall is still there:
the site is now a parking lot....funny that they left the retaining wall and entry steps i guess it was cheaper to put in the ramp in lieu of leveling the site. not very efficient having a two tiered parking lot though......

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 2:04 PM

a few more then and now's of images posted in this thread from the the past

looking south on broadway from 10th street 1962 and now

looking north on hill street between 5th and 6th 1954 and now

looking nw at the intersection of broadway place and main street 1953 and now

looking ne on main street at the intersection of market street 1935 and now, (the flag poles in the now image is where market street once ran)

looking east on wilshire across detroit street 1954 and now

looking north on gardner across sunset 1948 and now

looking north on main street from 2nd street 1953 and now

ne corner of wilshire and crescent drive 1940 and now

sw corner of wilshire and ridgeley 1939 and now

Old Posted Aug 28, 2010, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
sw corner of wilshire and ridgeley 1939 and now

Could it possibly be that the "architects" (I use the term loosely in connection with the current structure at the sw corner of Wilshire and Ridgeley) actually looked at pictures of Coulters, gone for years, when designing their building? I ask because there is a vague resemblance in the corner and in massing. Or am I dreaming?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
a few more then and now's of images posted in this thread from the the past

looking nw at the intersection of broadway place and main street 1953 and now

GSJ-

I meant to thank you awhile back re: the story of the original southern terminus of Broadway. Fascinating! When I visited Los Angeles in 2009 and went to take a "now" picture of where my mother was walking on Broadway in October, 1936, I had to park just south of Olympic, and I noticed that odd, abandoned alignment immediately. Since then I've always wondered what the story was behind that, and thanks to you, now I know! That really was great.

I was also intrigued by your and ethereal's photos of Wilshire before its widening. I remember reading somewhere that Wilshire was originally laid out as a real four-lane boulevard, but clearly that was not the case.

Anyway, thank you all again for your great contributions! This is undoubtedly the greatest internet thread ever on the subject of L.A. history!

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
I remember reading somewhere that Wilshire was originally laid out as a real four-lane boulevard, but clearly that was not the case.
Actually, it was-- but only if you look at it from when and where Wilshire was originally laid out.

Wilshire originally only extended west from what's now MacArthur Park; it was from there that it was originally a real, true four-lane boulevard; it even had the restriction that no streetcar line would ever "clutter" it. It wasn't until the 1930s that Wilshire was extended eastward through MacArthur Park and into downtown; the trouble was, east of MacArthur Park, the only street that would line up with the Wilshire Blvd. axis was Orange Street, a narrow street that was broken up by city blocks. So they actually had to demolish whole buildings and blocks to extend Wilshire to Grand Avenue; this stretch east of MacArthur Park was always the lackluster part of Wilshire Blvd. and never became the prestige address that it did on the western part. In fact, the downtown section of Wilshire was lined with many surface parking lots well into the 1950s and 1960s.

Here's a picture of the intersection of where Wilshire ends at Grand Ave., looking west, in downtown LA in 1946. The large parking lot in the foreground is now the site of the One Wilshire building.

LAPL

Here's Wilshire Blvd. downtown, looking east to where it ends at Grand Ave. and the One Wilshire Building, in 2006.

SpaceMan1's photo from SkyscraperCity

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 8:00 PM

LAPL
Gaylord's original stretch of Wilshire, west from Westlake Park. From right are the Otis, Earl, and Henderson houses.

LAPL
And to the east of the park, two houses (including the Shatto residence at right, also seen below) on Orange Street, which became Wilshire in the '20s.

LAPL
The Shatto house, 1213 Orange/Wilshire. George Shatto once owned Catalina.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2010, 9:36 PM

Quote:
LAPL
Gaylord's original stretch of Wilshire, west from Westlake Park. From right are the Otis, Earl, and Henderson houses.

LAPL
And to the east of the park, two houses (including the Shatto residence at right, also seen below) on Orange Street, which became Wilshire in the '20s.

LAPL
The Shatto house, 1213 Orange/Wilshire. George Shatto once owned Catalina.
Yes, that makes perfect sense now. It was Wilshire immediately west of Westlake Park that I heard was the original wide boulevard. I guess I just assumed the rest of it was built that way, too, and maybe it was to the west, but to the east - yeah, that had to be brutally widened in places...

Those mansions on Orange were extraordinary! I can't recall seeing anything like those pictures before. Thank you for posting them.

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 12:16 AM

Speaking of Wilshire Boulevard--we've seen before here a number of shots of the Gaylord Apartments at 3355, including a few from just before completion, but I just came across these from as early as groundbreaking:

CSL

CSL

CSL

CSL

CSL

CSL

LAPL
The completed Gaylor from the grounds of the Ambassador.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos