HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:33 PM

Alright... In tourist industry news, they're building a new resort they call 'Villages Nature' nearby Disneyland. You just put words the other way round to get a correct English translation, nature villages.

Although Disney is involved along with another main developer, the concept is slightly different from their own resorts. I'm late to translate that batiactu article edited in late August, that describes and somewhat promotes the project since it's officially been under construction by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batiactu.com
Birth of a Babylonian city neighboring Disneyland

A project, an oddity. An 'Aqualagon' (say simply a pool, but I guess lagoon sounds sexier) designed by Jacques Ferrier, hanging gardens, an educational farm, some 4 ha (10-acre) woods, shops and restaurants will make up Villages Nature as of summer 2016, not to mention accommodations. Corporations Euro Disney and Pierre & Vacances-Center Parcs will celebrate the groundbreaking of 'the largest tourist project in Europe' by next September (thus 2 months ago by now).

Following a decade of wait, the spadework and the earthwork of gigantic ecotourism project Villages Nature located 6km (roughly 4 miles) apart from the Disneyland theme parks got started in early June to comply with a tight schedule: an opening for the summer of 2016. Groundbreaking will occur next September.

"Stretching over 259 ha (640 acres), this is at the moment the most significant tourist project in Europe, claims out of hand Dominique Coquet, chief executive of Villages Nature du Val d’Europe. Based on the observation that people came to Disneyland and Central Paris for short vacations and took no break at all for their often short and intense stays, we needed additional services. A stopping place for short as for longer stays meant for relaxing, resting and enjoying nature." Thereby, sponsors of the project are redefining a large-scaled destination for vacations.

An area as large as 7 Center Parcs

Figures related to the project are breathtaking. The master plan of Villages Nature envisions up to 5500 apartments and cottages and 150,000 m² (1.6 mi sq ft) of facilities over 500 ha (1200+ acres), that is as large as 7 Center Parcs.

Thus, this project held by both Pierre & Vacances and Euro Disney stands as 'the biggest project of a resort' in Europe (so how many times will they pompously repeat themselves?...). Before underlining: it would neither be one more theme park nor one more ordinary tourist accommodation for Disneyland. It will be a tourist destination on its own, shaped as a vegetal town centered on sustainable development.

A water park shaped as a pyramid

First phase registered as an OIN (opération d'intérêt national, national interest operation) will get out of the ground as of summer 2016 within some woods of Seine-et-Marne (eastern suburbs), spreading over 3 towns: Villeneuve-le-Comte (197 ha, 487 acres), Bailly-Romainvilliers (56 ha, 138 acres) and Serris (6 ha, 15 acres). "The 1st portion will include 916 cottages and apartments designed by architect Jean de Gastines and the 2/3 of recreational facilities, including the lagoon of a roughly 11,500 m² (120k+ sq ft) area," the developer adds. As for cottages and apartments, Jean de Gastines favored wooden materials to induce a warmer and relaxing atmosphere.

Water and nature everywhere

In concrete terms, this new tourist complex will be similar to the Center Parcs resorts. Water and greenery will be all over, as with the lagoon (we'll call it Aqualagon like they do), the main attraction of the site designed by architect Jacques Ferrier's firm.

"Around the pyramid-shaped covered water park will be a 3500m² (37500 sq ft) outdoor lagoon in which people will be allowed to bathe all year round in water at 30°C (86°F), Ferrier told us. There vacationers will find waterfalls, wave pools, spa, playgrounds..."

Also, a landscaped pathway will lead to the top of the structure. "I opted for a 9000m² (97k sq ft) 'aerial building' with a 26m (85 ft) tall wooden framework to rise in tiers hanging gardens playing with water and transparency, whose terraces will compose an unusual boardwalk with the animals of the farm along, such as sheep, poultry and deers like on Noah's Ark," says Ferrier.

Beyond Aqualagon and its water pyramid, hanging gardens will embody 'osmosis between architecture and vegetation', to magnify apartments around the lake in a fancy manner.

Overview of the boardwalk to the lake and the lagoon

The site will as well comprise a promenade around the lake, made up of shops, cafés and restaurants, hanging gardens, an organic farm, spaces to enjoy the lake, forest trails, vegetal architecture buildings... Less than 10% of the total area should be for building purposes.

Finally, placed at the back of hanging gardens and straight connected to the boardwalk of the lake by transverse crossings along, the 'amazing gardens' designed by landscaper and urban planner Thierry Huau over 2.1 ha (5.2 acres) will primarily be a fun course using materials such as wood, clay, stone and sand.

Want some more oddity? The interactive educational farm brought by architect and urban planner Lionel de Segonzac will be developed over 2.6 ha (6.4 acres). Then to get the visit complete, the 'enchanted isle' will offer over 2.5 ha (6.2 acres) a large outdoor playground and some huts inside a wooden setting to children from age 2 to 14.

Geothermal energy and sustainable development

As for technology, geothermal energy stands as the strong advantage of the project, as 100% of heat requirements of the site will be fulfilled by such a system, most notably for bathing water of Aqualagon and heating and hot water of all buildings, Laurent Tosello, a senior executive of the project explains. "With 2 wells drilled to a depth of 1800m (5900 ft), we'll use the groundwater at 78°C (172°F) beneath our feet to provide the network with heat on the surface, before throwing water back into the ground," he told us while we were visiting the site.

A gigantic project

Complementing the expertise of Jacques Ferrier, Jean de Gastines et Lionel de Segonzac in the design of recreational and residential facilities, Village Natures called for the skills of Joe Rhode, a famous designer of Walt Disney Imagineering and of landscaper and urban planner Thierry Huau. "Their purpose was to bring the story to life," concludes Dominique Coquet.

Interiors

The 'Clan scenery' will be offered in 499 cottages.

The 'Nature scenery' will be suggested by 326 cottages and 362 apartments.

Site of the planned pool

Work began in Seine-et-Marne, 32km (20 miles) away from Central Paris, in the suburban towns of Villeneuve-le-Comte, Bailly-Romainvilliers and Serris, on the site of expected Villages Nature.

Entrance to the site

Besides large construction corporations such as Valerian, Eiffage and Bouygues, 2 small businesses, Bir and landscaper Pinson are taking part in the huge work. Early bids were called for construction proper, outcomes are expected before the end of summer.

Geothermal wells

There should be one of them.

Villages Nature ground plan

Below must be the affected area.

Original article in French: http://www.batiactu.com/edito/le-pro...a-ma-38922.php

That's quite some superlatives in there, huh? They'd better deliver some awesome amenities for real now that they boasted their park.

So this seems mainly meant for innocent family tourism like parents taking their kids to Disneyland, right? You still own the rest of the huge metro area for some wilder stuff.

In fact, I find it interesting for changing from the usual Disney or either modern or post-modern 'new town' sceneries widely spread over these suburbs developed much later than the more vernacular west side of the metro area. The architecture suggested by those renderings looks like some different type of resort, and much more contemporary.

The whole thing would be developed in several phases as mentioned and should end up pretty large indeed. But further planned developments might depend on the outcome of phase 1 once implemented. Even though the proximity of both the Disney parks and Central Paris will help, I assume it'll take time before it gets really sizable and to better maturation. I think it would work just as a regular resort in that some if not most units are for sale. So anybody may purchase some, then rent it out.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 2:55 PM

As these 2 residential midrises, "Home" and "Biodiversité" following, a bit of the fabric of the Rive Gauche master plan would miraculously be allowed to rise a couple of stories higher than average Central Paris, mainly at the end of avenue de France though, that's actually neighboring inner suburb Ivry-sur-Seine.

These were taken by Cochise75 yesterday.

This is Home getting closer to completion.

In order to build more buildings over, they're still busy at covering the rail tracks below, which will be taking much time for train traffic can't be stopped.

Biodiversité supposed to eventually be entirely dressed in plants, because of that silly trend seen everywhere, but I assume it'll take at least a decade before plants have kind of grown enough.

Overview of that bit of fabric built at the end of the avenue by now, the Rive Gauche master plan being way larger and only partially implemented yet.

Despite that lack of height IMO, I find Rive Gauche as a whole is still a great urban planning operation, for large enough to precisely be about neat urban planning and not just showing off a bunch of buildings in a boring layout. I said it earlier, the part of it already existing feels good in person. We locals know, most the rest of the world doesn't yet.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 6:34 AM

The HOME building looks very cool! It would make such a statement if it were a little closer to the action around rue de Tolbiac and the BNF. I spent a good amount of time around Rive Gauche in 2009 and found it to be very well-executed, from the scale of the buildings to the quality of the architecture. It'll definitely be fascinating to see how the neighborhood matures.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 7:25 PM

La Défense's brand new Melia hotel today, as seen from the pedestrian deck, by Vincent on pss-archi.

Opening is expected sometime very soon. Again, that's a 4-star hotel, something business class convenient for high-end needs, still for some reasonable money.

A short digress as a reminder on that topic in la Défense, a nearby 5-star hotel within the Hermitage twins will complete the hotel offer over that spot. It is necessary for it to gain prestige. The French hotel rating system ranges from the 1 to 5-star standards commonly in use worldwide, just as usual, with an additional palace label granted to the superior 5-star. There are only very few of those so called palaces nationwide yet. Let me see... 16 so far, half of them in Paris. I believe the list is gradually increasing, however, assuming the Hermitage hotel will apply for that palace label. They'll get it if they want it bad enough.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
The HOME building looks very cool! It would make such a statement if it were a little closer to the action around rue de Tolbiac and the BNF. I spent a good amount of time around Rive Gauche in 2009 and found it to be very well-executed, from the scale of the buildings to the quality of the architecture. It'll definitely be fascinating to see how the neighborhood matures.
So far, Home is easily the most creative building of the surroundings. Cochise from SSC went back to shoot it again.

That one seems worthy of what they do in the Netherlands.

As for buildings along the avenue de France, the problem to me is planners claimed to design it as a Haussmannian avenue, as if we hadn't had enough. That's why all buildings along were shaped the very same way. All boxes of the same height. You can see what I'm saying by looking left on this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I find it's a mistake, making the avenue look tasteless from a distance. They've been narrow-minded for sticking too close to the local historic standards. That being said, it'll be corrigible. They can do spectacular things when it comes to reshaping and/or renovating buildings. It seems like so long as you bring money, they can do pretty much anything.
Besides, there's retail all along the avenue, a bunch of shops and cafés. That's how it feels good enough already, thanks to the mixed-use purpose.

Some of the best buildings are in the streets adjacent to the avenue, like this brown to the left, looking nice for real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
I took a close look at it and touched the facade once or twice, then completely changed my mind about it. It just feels like full concrete, but with some kind of treatment (someone told me the name but I can't remember) making it nice and original while it wouldn't be too expensive. That's creative as well, worth all that generic glass along the avenue de France IMO.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 8:35 PM

In la Défense expanding towards Nanterre, looks like they're going to build the mixed-use bulk I reported about yet a while ago.

The lot is neighboring Nanterre but actually on Puteaux's territory. I count some 20 floors on that mock-up. Some say the units of the upper floors were the fastest to sell. No wonder, the 9 lower floors are meant for student housing anyway. Not sure these are for sale.

Here are the renderings again, just as a recall.

Of course the location and the views are interesting, but it's bulky, huh. That massing wouldn't be much of a problem if some taller things were planned around in a dense fashion, but thus far, I heard of nothing like that, unfortunately.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 8:23 PM

We already stressed on the whole ton of mid-range housing getting built in Nanterre. It's a good thing to bring more middle-class households and more quality buldings over there. That will eventually ease bigger investments over la Défense itself. I think Nanterre is the key to make a real global star of la Défense, so it needs to be gentrified anyway.

The project right above in the previous post is called Skylight. It's worth taking a closer look at it cause it's to bring the 1st new dwellers that close to la Défense's skyscrapers in 3 decades! It's also provided with some high-end features such as views on the high-rise cluster, still for a lower price than that of your average Central Paris unit.

An advertising video.

Local forumers seem excited at the duplex apartments, which of course is a positive sign. Prices would range between €5500 and €6000 a square meter. Again, yet lower than the average €8000 of Central Paris. And there you can enjoy some total modern yuppie lifestyle.

Skylight is close to the arch, on the right of it on that picture.

Bah, I will spare you from the sketches of the available units, it's tedious and useless on here.

There's another residential component called One under construction, sort of facing Skylight to the other side of the arch on the last picture. Nice views on the high-rise cluster from there too. In between, they're arranging a garden with a pedestrian bridge hung over. And nearby One is a 40,000-seat arena currently under construction. I think it will host a local rugby team in particular along with other events like concerts, maybe, and there's some office development around. The arena is obviously the main anchor of the spot, with some retail around.

Also facing One, to the Skylight side will be a new hotel that might feature a little bit of some Times Square style glittering through some wide urban screens, I once heard, but I'm not sure. The new hotel itself will be there anyway.

You still can have a detailed and roughly up-to-date overview of projects and developments over the overall district through the EPADESA map.

http://www.epadesa.fr/la-carte-des-projets.html

Again, EPADESA is the public body in charge of the development of this whole thing that includes la Défense itself.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:21 PM

There's that guy Aladin who's got a magic carpet. He can also use a camera and softwares to edit pictures. So I would just recommend his flickr to those who like aerials.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aladinphotos/

Notice the arena under construction in Nanterre nearby la Défense's highrises.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aladinphotos/16203443819/

As of 2017, it will be home to Racing Métro 92, one of the 2 Parisian teams playing in the Top 14, the French top rugby league which is also, I believe, the most attractive rugby league in the world today. Players now come from New Zealand and Australia (the best rugby nations) to be starred in that league. Fact is unlike French soccer that tends to be boring, rugby has been effectively promoted by sport managers and investors over here. That's fine.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 10:34 PM

La Défense's new Meliá hotel looking good in the sunlight this morning, by Vincent.

Well, this is good, fairly filling in a hole.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 12:01 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I'm loving these most of these new Paris photos. It is starting to overtake Tokyo I think for progressive modern architecture.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 12:55 PM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 1:34 PM

A couple of refurbished historic buildings in rue du Quatre-Septembre, that's in the business district of the central city.

Pictures by Indy G on SSC.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 11:28 AM

Since the previous post suggested it, SSC's French mod Indy G maintains a lovely thread of the historic central biz district, making an essential point by showing the refurbishments it's undergoing.

Indeed, no need to say it's extremely important for the overall metro area and even the entire country that the traditional CBD remains aggressive and competitive enough both on the local and the global stages. So these are some nice pics by Indy to show off a bit of the ongoing renovations.

Refurbishment of place Vendôme, a famous square from the 17th century that features some luxury brand shops.

Great to see it finally getting cleaned up. That one is precious and prestigious for some of the oldest and most original stuff over the area. Entire Europe ripped off that kind of things that came from Italy and was widely enhanced to a large scale in France.

This is facing the Opéra Garnier. You can see some buildings at the end of the major Haussmannian avenue coming to it being cleaned up too.

More modern simple things like this just look fine to me as well, bringing some additional diversity to various styles and eras.

Something older, still renovated lately.

That building belongs to a large French bank. Interiors freshly refurbished, a mix of modern and historic. I dig those details well captured by Indy G. Lol I hope he won't mind if I steal all his pics to show you guys.

This would be on rue de la Paix, the rather short street stretching between place Vendôme and the Opéra.

Just your regular stuff over there. Lots of ceilings like these.

A last one recently renovated on boulevard des Capucines.

We owe many thanks to Indy G for his pictures. Looks like the lucky dude works over there and can use a camera.

So no highrises yet in there, but it really doesn't have to fear any skyscraper anyway, still seriously delivering in its hitoric style all over the stunning fabric that goes on and on along the streets and boulevards. Anyone who came over here knows how that feels.

A bunch of the most decorated in there are from the very late 19th or very early 20th centuries, designed in styles such as Art Nouveau/Belle Époque, that came a bit later than the very Haussmannian fabric that was built in the 1850s and 60s. So I find some local forumers saying that the generic Haussmannian buildings would look mediocre compared to the heavier and slightly later ornaments a bit pointless in that note of theirs, for in between something called the 2nd Indsutrial Revolution took place and obviously dramatically changed methods of production, making it all more efficient. Besides, all buildings in there, whether from the 17th of from the 21st century take part of the overall feel of the district. It's much more a matter of a large high quality urban fabric than just a few peculiar achievements that would stand out. And that actually feels even more powerful and crushing.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2015, 11:55 AM

Uh!? So I'm not sure to understand at all... It seems the services of the Ministry of Justice are supposed to move to Plaine Commune, which is a community of the northern suburbs undergoing some redevelopment with more businesses coming along to their area.

I wasn't aware of this and can hardly believe it. Are they actually moving? They'd be moving from this on place Vendôme:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministr...e_%28France%29

To this in an inner suburb.

A closer look at materials.

Now indoor, the atrium is looking comfy.

A bit of the close surroundings, it's much of some new stuff around.

SSC's Indy G visited the new site and took these pictures.

As far as I go, I find this new building of theirs looks neat enough on these pictures and the fact they'd be moving over there would be the positive sign that these suburbs are really getting much better; on the other hand, the change to the employees of this ministry (which is one of the most prestigious as a 'régalien' ministry by French codes) will probably feel somewhat rough for a while, cause they've been used for long to the central historic districts that are some of the most vibrant and traditionally regarded the most prestigious of entire greater Paris. So they might be grumpy for some time... I mean it's going to take some time before Plaine Commune feels the same as Central Paris, no doubt they know.

Bah, I guess it's only a matter of habits anyway. And at least, things of the government seem to be changing a little bit over here somehow, I'm seeing. That certainly won't cause any harm to the country as a whole.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 9:16 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Gaîté complex and hôtel Pullman (14th arrondissement, Montparnasse).
MVRDV

Green: Hotel (renovation).
Yellow: Shopping mall (renewal and extension). 16,000m² to 40,000m², it will become the fourth largest shopping mall in Central Paris.
Mauve: Social housing (construction).
Red: Private nursery (construction).
Rose: Public Library (displacement).
Blue: offices (demolition and reconstruction).

http://www.lemoniteur.fr/155-projets...oites#27503916

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 6:31 PM

^ Bravo! Amazing! I'm fed up with that kind of moronic development. Watch the new components in there. Everybody knows that as far as housing goes, the city needs some modern high-rise and high-end luxury to get better, then the only little thing they'll bring to it is a very few units of flat 8-story socialist housing. Beyond idiotic, they're stupidly mean, ruining their own city. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so ridiculously pitiful. They're completely sick and retarded over here.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 6:20 PM

I will not hold responsability for yet another thread of a 100% office high-rise project that may never be actually built in la Défense. There's already a dozen of such threads standing by in the Paris subforum. Talk about clowns...

It just seems Jean Nouvel's project design was slightly altered.

There are these older renderings we had.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=646

These are the latest.

The foot of the tower in particular was changed. They call it Hekla. So I guess there'll be a Hekla thread if it ever gets under construction, eh.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 9:51 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^That is amazing.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 5:50 PM

That crumpled looking building is nice.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 2:53 PM

A nice video showing one of the three skyscrapers planned at Issy Bridge. Issy Bridge, which hosts the headquarters of France24 and RFI international radio, is located 4.0 km (2.5 miles) south-west of the Eiffel Tower and 6.8 km (4.2 miles) south-east of La Défense as the crow flies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations