HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 5:34 PM

i kinda like cali type cities because i lived in portland for 30 years or so. i moved to bend oregon not long ago (half my family has lived around here all my life so its like home) bend is very californian. anyways, new type places with very not so quiet people. portland people arent quiet but you know what i mean if youve been to cali. so like reno, redding. i havent been to reno since a little kid though.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 5:51 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
That was the case throughout the state. Many of the same prominent pre-war architects that designed buildings in NYC also designed them upstate. And nearby states; CT, MA, etc.
It was also the case here, which is why we look the way we do. When George Vanderbilt put up his mansion, he imported architects and artisans from New York to do it... Who then stayed and designed other things too. That's why the designer of Grand Central Station is buried in the Catholic church he built here.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Jun 9, 2020 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
To those of you who said you'd consider Asheville, she asked me to tell you that as soon as the pandemic is over she expects you to race over here post haste, waving your money in the air like you did last summer. She says she misses you, sends her love, and said the rash just turned out to be poison ivy and went away with that cream you recommended from the CVS. Kisses to all.

Source.
Asheville is a cool city, I remember being impressed when I visited in the late 90s. I'm sure it's much improved since then.
It would been in my top 10 for this topic.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 6:07 PM
E pluribus unum

I really, really fell in love with Juneau, AK. Gorgeous scenery and charming downtown. Problem is, it's isolated and a major pain-in-the-ass to access.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 6:37 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
That was the case throughout the state. Many of the same prominent pre-war architects that designed buildings in NYC also designed them upstate. And nearby states; CT, MA, etc.
This is happening on a smaller scale in the Maritimes. Modernist architect-designed projects are popping up in Moncton and Truro and Charlottetown now. They are designed by Halifax architects who started their careers in the 2010's urban building boom.

In the early 2000's there were almost no developments like that in Halifax and none in other towns in the region. Most new construction was ugly faux historic stuff or generic suburban.

BC has something similar going on. There is a distinct BC style of development that you see not just in Vancouver but in Victoria or Kelowna. Victoria looks a lot like a mini Vancouver, and has West Coast style developments that look quite different from other regions of Canada.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:47 PM

San Sebastian, Spain (Basque County).

Walkable, lovely food, green surroundings with beautiful nature and water.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
I know that a good number of you are city dwellers, but what smaller metros (500,000 and below) would you live in if you had to?
Great thread, love the list of cities talked about,
and since another poster on SSP asked the other day about why I chose the city I live.

Staying in Province I was born and raised, I could have chose the Capital, Regina where I was born...

http://bestdistricts.com/best-areas-...regina-canada/

...But I chose the largest city in the province, Saskatoon

https://www.scottprokop.com/Prints/New-Releases/

Both cities have amenities of cities two or three times the size and are some of the fastest growing cities in the country.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
surely that place has a population higher than 500K.
American cities consistently underperform their size in the urbanity department. Canadian cities are a bit better, but still underperform Europe by a wide margin. Cities of 150k in France, Spain or Italy have more urbanity than all but a handful of US cities.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
American cities consistently underperform their size in the urbanity department. Canadian cities are a bit better, but still underperform Europe by a wide margin. Cities of 150k in France, Spain or Italy have more urbanity than all but a handful of US cities.
North American car culture?..Are suburbs, exurbs, and outlet shopping centres out in the sticks even a thing in Europe?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Are suburbs, exurbs, and outlet shopping centres out in the sticks even a thing in Europe?
They are, but not to the same extent as in NA. They are not related to any stereotyped American dream here.

However, lots of people find this lifestyle to be appealing here in France. Room is often cheaper than in dense central areas and you must admit that a single-family, detached house has its own advantages.
It's provided with a private yard; you don't have to deal with neighbors the same way you have to in a condominium... A couple of things like these that are pretty convenient.

The problem is it's remote from most businesses and entertainments, so commuting can be exhausting and costly.
Somehow, I think living in central areas remain more desirable over here.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Upstate cities, while often depressed, really have fantastic bones for U.S. standards. Binghamton is one of the most depressed cities Upstate but has better bones than cities 5x the size.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 12:16 PM
video et taceo

Troy is also magnificent.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:47 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Upstate cities, while often depressed, really have fantastic bones for U.S. standards. Binghamton is one of the most depressed cities Upstate but has better bones than cities 5x the size.
Yes and I wish there was a way for these cities to breath new life in to their economies. Utica (60k) probably has more pre-war stock than Houston but no economy so they just sit. Armory Square in Syracuse is absolutely amazing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:52 PM

There are a number of Upstate towns that have good bones and are thriving. Ithaca, Saratoga, Corning, Glens Falls, and now pretty much anywhere near the Hudson between Albany and NYC. But they're small.

Places like Utica, Syracuse, Binghamton, Elmira feel stuck in time. Not terrible but stagnant. And Albany feels healthier than Rochester and Buffalo.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:21 PM

Burlington, Vermont, is a perfect smaller metro area. Portland, Maine, is also nice.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
There are a number of Upstate towns that have good bones and are thriving. Ithaca, Saratoga, Corning, Glens Falls, and now pretty much anywhere near the Hudson between Albany and NYC. But they're small.

Places like Utica, Syracuse, Binghamton, Elmira feel stuck in time. Not terrible but stagnant. And Albany feels healthier than Rochester and Buffalo.
We visited Poughkeepsie a couple of weeks ago to enjoy the Walkway Across the Hudson. The bridge is very nice and offers some great views and we picked up beer from a good craft brewery nearby but Poughkeepsie, especially for having two colleges, was a disappointment.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:28 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:

Yep, the further east, the healthier they seem to be apart smaller college/touristy towns here and there. Albany area has the state government plus it's much more connected with NYC which I think helps keeps it more vibrant. Troy is a hidden unappreciated gem. Brownstones galore.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Great thread, love the list of cities talked about,
and since another poster on SSP asked the other day about why I chose the city I live.

Staying in Province I was born and raised, I could have chose the Capital, Regina where I was born...

http://bestdistricts.com/best-areas-...regina-canada/

...But I chose the largest city in the province, Saskatoon

https://www.scottprokop.com/Prints/New-Releases/

Both cities have amenities of cities two or three times the size and are some of the fastest growing cities in the country.
Thank you. Regina looks a lot bigger than it is.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 7:44 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
We visited Poughkeepsie a couple of weeks ago to enjoy the Walkway Across the Hudson. The bridge is very nice and offers some great views and we picked up beer from a good craft brewery nearby but Poughkeepsie, especially for having two colleges, was a disappointment.
based on spending a few weekends up there in the past i think it looks fine and has the usual great upstate river bones, but poughkeepsie is kind of a mean or cold place, including people i know from there lol. that's the best way i can describe it. kind of an anomaly vs the other hudson river towns. the walkway is very awesome though.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 4:50 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
One place I forgot was Anchorage. The winters would suck but I'd love it still.

Not sure about Maui. I've heard good things but I'd assume it'd be isolated from some things we take for granted on the mainland.
Anchorage is probably less cold than Chicago (strange, I know). Fairbanks on the other hand...

That said, Anchorage isn't a a great city, but I'm sure glad I can get on a direct flight over there to go play in the wilderness.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions