HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 6:49 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

I can find a video of a Muslim girl from Oman rapping over Trap beats, hanging out her car Bopping like she's from Atlanta, with several million views. I recently did a project for my class, gathering up artists from every corner around the World doing Hip Hop. One thing is clear, trap has taken over the sound of every corner of the World.

Walk through any inner city in the World, and you'll likely see Hip Hop fashions, artists, dances, venues, designs and hear Hip Hop slang. Hip Hop is multi-faceted, but it's the Musicians who are the taste-makers. Hip Hop musician nowadays mostly have an Atlanta sound. It's also managed to make its way into mainstream culture. Hell, they got Gucci Mane modeling for Gucci now. I've also heard Trap beats in educational and instructional videos.

Right now, the reigning style and sound is from Atlanta, without a doubt.

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 7:44 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
^Who among us that attended high school in the 1990s/early 2000's didn't have a Texas Instruments TI-83 graphing calculator?
But only the fanciest of the fancy bitches owned their TI-83. The rest of us had to get them from the teacher and turn them back in at the end of class.

Quote:
Credit where credit's due: My dad loved watching Dallas and I remember watching the opening credits a lot when I was a kid just because I loved the shots of the city.
You seem like you could appreciate this:

Video Link
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Guys, a lot of you know I’ve been agency-side marketing and branding for 20 years now. Our travel, hospitality, and tourism client list still impresses me all these years along. I have hundreds of prop qualitative / quantitative studies on destination brand equity in target markets.

I can’t speak for EMEA, but when it comes to APAC, Atlanta is unknown. Few American cities have successfully broken through in my neck of the woods: NYC, SF, “Hawaii”, Las Vegas, and LA. Those are your only American cities with broad brand recognition in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, the PRC, SG, etc. Second tier cities with niche equity are Boston, Seattle, Orlando, and DC. That’s it. New Orleans barely registers, even with audience segments who overindex on international travel propensity. Atlanta doesn’t register at all. Chicago doesn’t even register. Americans tend to have an inflated understanding of how well their home state or city is known outside of the US and Canada.
I don't know about the other countries but there is interest in Korea (My family aunts/uncles/cousins are in Korea and I go there every year). Of course, other places will be top travel destinations but that doesn't mean Atlanta is unknown. More people than not know Atlanta when I am in Korea and they ask me where I'm from. There are a lot of uploads about Atlanta by Korean YouTubers and that say Atlanta is a great place to move to for Koreans because of the high Korean population and access to many Korean businesses (CPA's, insurance agents, realtors, doctors, dentists, eye doctors, restaurants, banks, Korean spa Jjimjilbang, marts, Korean churches, etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9stuTq__Zps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4PLZeCHAhI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE3qet2aAyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUUCKywX488
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTSQXDuKc-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPziw5Ti5fY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHpm2P8QctM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1KKmehr-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOgScJlVYo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ZaRIgJGQc

Video of Atlanta's Duluth Koreatown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obd1KglnaRM

You also had Korean rappers living in Atlanta https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi9jmjLeYpg and even doing music feature Young Dro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ih3GcX6SRg If you see Korean rappers a lot of them will also be wearing the "A" Atlanta Braves caps.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 7:53 PM

Quote:
^Who among us that attended high school in the 1990s/early 2000's didn't have a Texas Instruments TI-83 graphing calculator?
I still have my TI-83. It carried me through high school and college. In some ways, it was my first smartphone.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 7:57 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
I don't know about the other countries but there is interest in Korea (My family aunts/uncles/cousins are in Korea and I go there every year). Of course, other places will be top travel destinations but that doesn't mean Atlanta is unknown. More people than not know Atlanta when I am in Korea and they ask me where I'm from. There are a lot of uploads about Atlanta by Korean YouTubers and that say Atlanta is a great place to move to for Koreans because of the high Korean population and access to many Korean businesses (CPA's, insurance agents, realtors, doctors, dentists, eye doctors, restaurants, banks, Korean spa Jjimjilbang, marts, Korean churches, etc.)
I can also attest that if those Koreans don't find Atlanta to their liking, they're filtering their way along I-85 until they find some place that suits them. I've been house hunting, and I seem to have a knack for finding houses, quite by accident, located by either Korean churches or Vietnamese churches throughout the Greenville-Spartanburg metro area. There seem to be an awful lot of both, plus Asian grocery stores, wherever I happen to find a house I want to look at.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 9:38 PM

Quote:

Credit where credit's due: My dad loved watching Dallas and I remember watching the opening credits a lot when I was a kid just because I loved the shots of the city.
Awesome calculators that you could use to cheat or play games on.

"Such then is the human condition , that to wish greatness for one's country is to wish harm to one's neighbor" Voltaire

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 10:03 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
But only the fanciest of the fancy bitches owned their TI-83. The rest of us had to get them from the teacher and turn them back in at the end of class.
You're right. I rented mine junior year of high school and then saved up to buy one senior year of high school (fuckers were expensive...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
You seem like you could appreciate this:

Video Link
Jesus...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Which southern cities have the biggest cultural impact?
Where as I've stayed out of the Southern City with a Big City feel (I don't get that question.....lol). This category is huge!

Miami
Atlanta
New Orleans
Charleston

The cities above have had an impact on the rest of the country in many ways.

Houston - Has a huge arts community and has put gazillions of dollars into Collection...and it is jelling. If it keeps up its organic local art along with the above captioned I believe it will soon be one of the big 5 in our country. I didn't like Houston...but it has a ton going for it Culturally speaking and it was exciting to see it the 2 years I lived there.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 3:38 AM

New Orleans. But not only in South, but in all of US. Like Little Richard, New Orleans is the originator of sooo much culture in the US....the music, the food, literature, diversity. New Orleans was the percusor to so much that is considered quintessential American culture. Before there was R&B, Rock&Roll, Pop, etc... there was Jazz. Even in diversity - unique culture originating from the French, African, Black, the Spanish, English soup of people.

Atlanta (like other places) have built upon New Orleans creations and may have surpassed in modern-day cultural impact. But if we want to be fair, the South in general has impacted American culture probably more than any other region. Yeah the cultural creations may have been re-fried, watered-down, gentrified and put on vinyl/film and commercialized in other regions but the originator ....

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
New Orleans. But not only in South, but in all of US. Like Little Richard, New Orleans is the originator of sooo much culture in the US....the music, the food, literature, diversity. New Orleans was the percusor to so much that is considered quintessential American culture. Before there was R&B, Rock&Roll, Pop, etc... there was Jazz. Even in diversity - unique culture originating from the French, African, Black, the Spanish, English soup of people.

Atlanta (like other places) have built upon New Orleans creations and may have surpassed in modern-day cultural impact. But if we want to be fair, the South in general has impacted American culture probably more than any other region. Yeah the cultural creations may have been re-fried, watered-down, gentrified and put on vinyl/film and commercialized in other regions but the originator ....
Facts. Culture gets exported from the South to the rest of the country which gives it some more flavor and then the world at large.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 8:30 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
Facts. Culture gets exported from the South to the rest of the country which gives it some more flavor and then the world at large.
And this is what the South should gain its pride from, to slightly mention sentiments from another thread that I don’t want to derail this thread with.

The South has strong cultural significance with jazz, the more pastoral life compared to the more urban Northeast and Midwest, the food, etc. It is very unique in that it is a blend of European, African, and even Latin American influence, but the Black culture as a distinct ethnic culture based uniquely in the South is the most beautiful thing. From historical pain came essentially a distinct American culture that wasn’t just a continuation of European culture.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 3:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
I've visited Charleston.

Although I find Charleston to be overrated, I (somewhat) like Charleston.

That said, Charleston as a "southern city with the biggest cultural impact"? Nah.
To be honest, Charleston is probably the best example of cities with the biggest cultural impact. It's not a very big place like present day Atlanta which makes it over-looked, but from a historical perspective, it played a large role in the pre-American colonies, the slave trade, the Revolutionary War, the Civil War.

It was racially, ethnically, religiously diverse. It had the largest and wealthiest Jewish population in North American until about 1830. It was majority Black city in the 1820s. Freed black slaves became some of the wealthiest businessmen in the city. It was the Miami of the time, full of Jews, Caribbeans, wealthy northeastern people with seasonal homes. It has the oldest municipal college in the U.S.

I would argue that the historical events and characteristics of an old, wealthy, politically powerful seaport city of Charleston is the origin of southern culture itself.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
And this is what the South should gain its pride from, to slightly mention sentiments from another thread that I don’t want to derail this thread with.

The South has strong cultural significance with jazz, the more pastoral life compared to the more urban Northeast and Midwest, the food, etc. It is very unique in that it is a blend of European, African, and even Latin American influence, but the Black culture as a distinct ethnic culture based uniquely in the South is the most beautiful thing. From historical pain came essentially a distinct American culture that wasn’t just a continuation of European culture.
Absolutely. At this point we are undoubtedly a distinct ethnic group consisting of various subcultures and have made a significantly outsized cultural contribution to the nation and, by extension, the world. Lord knows I have my gripes with the South but at the end of the day, it's home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
To be honest, Charleston is probably the best example of cities with the biggest cultural impact. It's not a very big place like present day Atlanta which makes it over-looked, but from a historical perspective, it played a large role in the pre-American colonies, the slave trade, the Revolutionary War, the Civil War.

It was racially, ethnically, religiously diverse. It had the largest and wealthiest Jewish population in North American until about 1830. It was majority Black city in the 1820s. Freed black slaves became some of the wealthiest businessmen in the city. It was the Miami of the time, full of Jews, Caribbeans, wealthy northeastern people with seasonal homes. It has the oldest municipal college in the U.S.

I would argue that the historical events and characteristics of an old, wealthy, politically powerful seaport city of Charleston is the origin of southern culture itself.
I'm a native SC'er with roots in the Lowcountry and am quite familiar with Charleston, but I'm somewhat perplexed with the mentions of it here. It is most certainly culturally distinct and there's no denying that, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has had a huge cultural impact. New Orleans is a city for which both are true but not necessarily Charleston--at least since the Civil War.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0679 View Post
I'm a native SC'er with roots in the Lowcountry and am quite familiar with Charleston, but I'm somewhat perplexed with the mentions of it here. It is most certainly culturally distinct and there's no denying that, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has had a huge cultural impact. New Orleans is a city for which both are true but not necessarily Charleston--at least since the Civil War.
I get you and I understand this. My first reply and the second post of this topic, said "Atlanta, Richmond, Charleston, Miami, New Orleans" are cities with the most substantial cultural impact in today's South.

My reply included cities that were significant in the past and the present. Presently, Atlanta is the clear winner. Of the past, that would be Charleston and New Orleans to a different degree. Charleston's early wealth, politics and power certainly influenced the greater Southern culture that still exists today. By the time the Civil War occurred, Charleston had been around for 200 years.

Today, and since about 1970 or so, maybe earlier, Atlanta is the king of media, business and entertainment of the South. The new Capital. Before the Civil War, it was nothing but a rail road survey location in the woods.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions